Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A late update, but pretty much all of my responses came in!

Accepted: Umich (scholarship), Yale, Berkeley, UCLA, Iowa (fellowship nomination), Columbia, UW (scholarship)
Rejected: none!

Technically still waiting for BU, but I didn't end up responding to their additional info email request, so I'm not expecting anything from them nor are they really in the running for me anyway. Awaiting word about scholarships from a couple of places!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MPH11 how did you hear about a fellowship offer at iowa? Are you doing an MPH?

Still no news from UNC....this late in the game I'm thinking it will be a rejection, which I will be at peace with at this point with as long as they do it tactfully. I know it's BS, but I never realized until yesterday that I actually appreciate the slight effort to sugarcoat a rejection. Being told that I'm great, but other people are better, is much nicer than being told I'm just flat-out unqualified, even if it's sugarcoating. Regardless, please UNC, just tell me already! And if any of you waiting on UNC hears anything, please do post! Good luck and congrats as appropriate!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Still no news from UNC....this late in the game I'm thinking it will be a rejection, which I will be at peace with at this point with as long as they do it tactfully. I know it's BS, but I never realized until yesterday that I actually appreciate the slight effort to sugarcoat a rejection. Being told that I'm great, but other people are better, is much nicer than being told I'm just flat-out unqualified, even if it's sugarcoating. Regardless, please UNC, just tell me already! And if any of you waiting on UNC hears anything, please do post! Good luck and congrats as appropriate!

I am still waiting on UNC as well. No one ever answers the phone at the MCH office either, which is doubly annoying. UNC was a reach school for me because I am straight out of undergrad (and I was told flat out that straight out of undergrad acceptances don't typically happen) but I'm happy that I at least made it to the interview stage with them. That means my application had something noteworthy enough that they did not reject me right away. Hopefully we get a yes or no pretty soon. It's just nice to have an answer either way so that you can move on.

I am still waiting on UNC as well. No one ever answers the phone at the MCH office either, which is doubly annoying. UNC was a reach school for me because I am straight out of undergrad (and I was told flat out that straight out of undergrad acceptances don't typically happen) but I'm happy that I at least made it to the interview stage with them. That means my application had something noteworthy enough that they did not reject me right away. Hopefully we get a yes or no pretty soon. It's just nice to have an answer either way so that you can move on.

Exactly! Good luck!

i got in to columbia!!!
YAYYYYY :D

i got accepted to the mph in population & family health with a concentration on sexuality & health.

so happy! i hope everyone else got good news too!

Congratulations, also got accepted to Columbia in PopFam Department, Global health track. Visited campus and sat in on classes last week, the department is awesome, professors were very accommodating and helpful. Student body was great, sending in my acceptance information today!

I just found out that I got into BU with a 12,000 merit scholarship!! This basically only makes it comparably priced to the other schools I've heard from, but it makes my decision tougher now. My packet also included a handwritten note. Did others receive this as well? The packet didn't say which program as I was accepted into besides just MPH, but I'll assume it was the Epi concentration that I applied for. :)

GRE: 540 V, 680 Q, 4.5 AW
GPA: 3.34, recent undergrad
SOPHAS mailed: 12/8/10, but last LOR submitted 12/16/10
Programs: Epi, Global Epi, or Infectious Disease Epi where applicable
Acceptances: Tulane, GW, BU
Rejections: Yale, Emory
Still waiting: Columbia

Also got $12,000 merit scholarship, received acceptance packet on 3/10, but no handwritten note. Also no comment on which program, just MPH. Nice to hear they offered the money but Columbia seems like a better program and 12k isn't enough to change that.

just wanted to put this out there...i've had an interesting and rather unprofessional experience with columbia's financial aid office. They told me that i was disqualified for aid because my efc was ~$100 over their maximum and that i must have submitted my financial aid application late. They clearly didn't even bother to look at my file. I submitted everything as early as humanly possible. FAFSA was submitted early Jan. Columbia was one of my top choices until now. Anyone else encountering this type of behavior? I've received need based grants and work study from all other programs. anyway just had to vent my frustration and disapointment...

Last edited:
Hey MPH11 how did you hear about a fellowship offer at iowa? Are you doing an MPH?

Yeah, I'm doing an MPH for Epid. The fellowship is a university grad school fellowship for either master's or PhD students, and individual schools/dept's. nominate their students. The department told me they nominated me but the final decision is made by the university in a pool of grad students from all different areas.

No word. Their newly admitted students day is in 10 days! That means they have to let us know next week, right?? I have other offers from good schools but would like to hear what they say!

Anybody heard from them lately?

Members don't see this ad :)
No word. Their newly admitted students day is in 10 days! That means they have to let us know next week, right?? I have other offers from good schools but would like to hear what they say!

Got a reject from Harvard yesterday. It hurt a bit coz I had attended their summer school and had a recommendation from one of the professors but in all fairness my GRE sucked:(. My consolation is that I had decided on Emory because of all the things I have read on this board and the practum, so this makes my decision easier

It seems like there are a ton of us in this boat and that a lot of the people waiting are in to the top schools and have great stats, so its odd that all of us would get in everywhere but not hear from UNC / at least some get in. I sent an email and called this week and left a message and of course no response. I continue to be dumbfounded that they at least don't make an announcment on their website or reply to ANYONE!

If it makes you feel any better, UNC is on spring break right now, so maybe that's part of the hold up? Hopefully, you'll hear something early next week.

Just wanted to share some of the information about UNC that I found out today (from the administrative staff @ the epi dept). Apparently, most of the SPH dept's have submitted their "recommendations for acceptance/rejection" to the General SPH already. However, there's been a several wk delay for the General SPH in verifying these departmental recommendations - and officially notifying applicants -- my theory is that it's related to the new online ap system. Anyway, according to the person I talked to ... MOST applicants have not been notified of the status of their application at this point... and she said that we could expect to hear back "in the next couple wks." (no joke) In response, I asked her whether I could "unofficially ask whether my application was recommended for acceptance by the epidemiology department" - and she told me!! :) (now, I'm still waiting for the official letter in the mail... but I'm very glad I got a chance to talk to her) So I don't know if these are the majic words... or whether I just happened to talk to a very nice administrative person ... but the moral of the story (or rather SDN post ;) ) is that it's worth being persistent in /insistent on ...talking to an administrative assistant in your specific UNC dept. That... and don't give up hope... UNC is just slow. Best of luck to everyone! :xf:

Just wanted to share some of the information about UNC that I found out today (from the administrative staff @ the epi dept). Apparently, most of the SPH dept's have submitted their "recommendations for acceptance/rejection" to the General SPH already. However, there's been a several wk delay for the General SPH in verifying these departmental recommendations - and officially notifying applicants -- my theory is that it's related to the new online ap system. Anyway, according to the person I talked to ... MOST applicants have not been notified of the status of their application at this point... and she said that we could expect to hear back "in the next couple wks." (no joke) In response, I asked her whether I could "unofficially ask whether my application was recommended for acceptance by the epidemiology department" - and she told me!! :) (now, I'm still waiting for the official letter in the mail... but I'm very glad I got a chance to talk to her) So I don't know if these are the majic words... or whether I just happened to talk to a very nice administrative person ... but the moral of the story (or rather SDN post ;) ) is that it's worth being persistent in /insistent on ...talking to an administrative assistant in your specific UNC dept. That... and don't give up hope... UNC is just slow. Best of luck to everyone! :xf:

This is uplifting news. I can't seem to get a hold of anyone in my department. Been trying all week and all I get is the answering machine. Who did you speak to in epi?

A couple of weeks is... problematic to say the least. A lot of deposits will be due by then. :scared: Hopefully they get their act together soon.

i received similar correspondence today from my faculty interviewer. i received an informal email acceptance a few weeks ago (post-interview), but i have not received my official paper letter from the graduate school.

in light of the situation, i think it'd be courteous to send out informal email acceptances to applicants, so everyone knows their status and has sufficient time to make an informed decision. it's my understanding that the graduate school 'almost always' takes the departments recommendation.

-waystinthyme

Hi everyone! For those wondering, Colorado has started to send out acceptances. I received mine not too long ago today. Its so nice to have heard from all of my schools (4/4 :)). I spoke with the coordinator and was told scholarship information would be sent separately at a much later date. She said, unfortunately, they only have three or four scholarships to give out.

Good luck to everyone in their acceptances!

i received similar correspondence today from my faculty interviewer. i received an informal email acceptance a few weeks ago (post-interview), but i have not received my official paper letter from the graduate school.
-waystinthyme

It seems that some departments are more forthcoming with information than others. The faculty member that interviewed me stated that they had zero to do with the admissions process (had not even seen my application because they had no access to it, so I had to give them my back-story), their sole purpose was to interview me and report back.

Well, I guess all I can do is keep calling.

I'm still waiting on Columbia too. I feel like they've forgotten about me.

Just checked my status on the Hopkins website only to find out that a decision has been made, but that I wouldn't find out till I receive it via postal mail. Does this pretty much mean I was rejected?

Hi everyone! For those wondering, Colorado has started to send out acceptances. I received mine not too long ago today. Its so nice to have heard from all of my schools (4/4 :)). I spoke with the coordinator and was told scholarship information would be sent separately at a much later date. She said, unfortunately, they only have three or four scholarships to give out.

Good luck to everyone in their acceptances!

did you ask for an early notification because of other acceptances and deadlines? the email i received when i finished my application in december stated that they would get back to applicants in late march to early april.

and that is colorado for you. there is a complete lack of funding.

did you ask for an early notification because of other acceptances and deadlines? the email i received when i finished my application in december stated that they would get back to applicants in late march to early april.

and that is colorado for you. there is a complete lack of funding.

Nope! I asked a while ago when they thought notifications would go out, but I was told I would know by April 1. I was completely surprised by the e-mail this afternoon. They want a decision by April 8, which I thought was weird. Why not just wait until April 15 like the majority of schools?

Just checked my status on the Hopkins website only to find out that a decision has been made, but that I wouldn't find out till I receive it via postal mail. Does this pretty much mean I was rejected?

Applied to PFRH and this is what happened to me today. Completely crushed but I guess I didn't deserve it anyway. When I called to inquire about the "letter" coming in the mail she told me and apologized for having to tell me over the phone. But this is just for me, it might be different for you.

Hi bd2010, so sorry to read that you did not get in. It's distressing especially when you don't get in to the place you are really interested in. I actually applied to same Department and it is on of my top choices. I just was wondering when did your application become complete? If I remember correctly in an earlier post we were discussing incomplete applications and I believe I applied around the same time you did. The reason I ask is because I have not yet heard anything myself and I am a little scared about the outcome too...

Applied to PFRH and this is what happened to me today. Completely crushed but I guess I didn't deserve it anyway. When I called to inquire about the "letter" coming in the mail she told me and apologized for having to tell me over the phone. But this is just for me, it might be different for you.

Sorry to hear that. Where do you think you'll be attending? I got into my first choice luckily, so whether they accept me or not doesn't really play into my decision process.

In at Columbia!!!! MPH in Health Policy and Management with a specialization in Healthcare Management!!

All in all Accepted: BU, GWU, Minn, USF, UT-Houston, Columbia
Waitlisted- Emory
Denied- Yale
Waiting- UIC, NYU

Sent in my information for Columbia! It has been my dream to live in NY, and although I am not sure about the scholarship option and UMinn gave me money it is too good of a program to turn down!

Hi bd2010, so sorry to read that you did not get in. It's distressing especially when you don't get in to the place you are really interested in. I actually applied to same Department and it is on of my top choices. I just was wondering when did your application become complete? If I remember correctly in an earlier post we were discussing incomplete applications and I believe I applied around the same time you did. The reason I ask is because I have not yet heard anything myself and I am a little scared about the outcome too...

It was considered complete on the 4th of February. I believe this is still the 'beginning'--so to speak--of the second round of decisions so I would bet that no news at this point is good news! I called i believe at the beginning of this week and she said it was 'still under review.' I wasn't expecting to hear anything back for a couple of weeks. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that. Where do you think you'll be attending? I got into my first choice luckily, so whether they accept me or not doesn't really play into my decision process.

Haha well this was my first choice and I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet. I guess I kind of believed I would get in despite being a not amazing candidate because I actually worked in this department of the summer and one my recs is from a faculty member in the department.
Either way I'm going to start putting in a few more applications bc I'm in pure panic mode right now

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info. Mine actually did not get confirmed until the 21st so I guess I should expect to hear a little bit later. We'll have to see what the outcome is. Best of luck to you with applications!

It was considered complete on the 4th of February. I believe this is still the 'beginning'--so to speak--of the second round of decisions so I would bet that no news at this point is good news! I called i believe at the beginning of this week and she said it was 'still under review.' I wasn't expecting to hear anything back for a couple of weeks. Good luck!

Stats:
GRE - V:620, Q:740, AW:5
GPA - 3.4 (or thereabouts, I have a few different numbers but they're all around there)
BS in Genetics/Biology from top 10 public school
2 years work experience in basic science research

Applied: Columbia, MPH Epi (11/30), Harvard, SM Epi (mailed 01/05), UW, MPH PHG (mailed 01/05), Emory MPH Glepi (mailed 01/12), BU MPH Epi (mailed 01/25), JH MHS Epi (01/24).

Accepted to Tulane, MPH Epi, submitted 01/12, accepted 01/29.
Accepted to Columbia, MPH Epi, submitted 11/30, accepted 02/11
Accepted to Harvard, SM Epi, mailed 01/05, accepted 02/18
Accepted to Emory, MPH Global Epidemiology, mailed 01/12, accepted 02/26

Rejected from UW, MPH Public Health Genetics (oh well, I have other options)

In at BU with a 12k merit scholarship! Via snail mail, received today. Now I'm just waiting on Hopkins.

Haha well this was my first choice and I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet. I guess I kind of believed I would get in despite being a not amazing candidate because I actually worked in this department of the summer and one my recs is from a faculty member in the department.
Either way I'm going to start putting in a few more applications bc I'm in pure panic mode right now

What a bummer. I would have expected an acceptance as well. Have you tried calling in the other schools? I think it's warranted at this point. Out of curiosity, which other schools are still accepting applications?

In at Columbia!!!! MPH in Health Policy and Management with a specialization in Healthcare Management!!

All in all Accepted: BU, GWU, Minn, USF, UT-Houston, Columbia
Waitlisted- Emory
Denied- Yale
Waiting- UIC, NYU

Sent in my information for Columbia! It has been my dream to live in NY, and although I am not sure about the scholarship option and UMinn gave me money it is too good of a program to turn down!

My first choice as well. When did you submit your application?

My first choice as well. When did you submit your application?

I submitted at the end of October. But I had a few issues with my letters of rec and they did not receive those until the deadline. I did not even notice that it was under review on my application. I just got an email Wednesday that a decision has been made.

Nope! I asked a while ago when they thought notifications would go out, but I was told I would know by April 1. I was completely surprised by the e-mail this afternoon. They want a decision by April 8, which I thought was weird. Why not just wait until April 15 like the majority of schools?

Would you mind posting your stats?

Hi guys,

I have a question about applying to MPH programs. I was just looking at some schools and some of them have deadlines that have passed but on SOPHAS it states they're still accepting applicants, is this because they still have spots left they're going to fill?

I wanted to submit my application to SOPHAS, but I don't want to waste all the money if the school is done accepting applicants.

My gpa is around a 3.2 (in Public health sciences major) but I don't have a GRE score (MCAT only but it's low). I don't want it to seem like I'm rushing to find a spot before the cycle is over. Should I just wait for next year? I applied to med schools this yr and a few DO/MPH programs and the cycle is pretty much over for me and I wanted to looking into MPH programs before looking into SMPs.

Anyway, sorry if this is not the place to put this. I thought maybe I could get some info from those of you who already got in.

I was planning on applying to GW, USF, Emory (all Global Health).

Thank you!

Would you mind posting your stats?

Not at all! I posted them a few months ago, so they are buried back there somewhere.

Stats:
I have an MS in Health Science from a large state school.
GPA: 3.7
Undergrad GPA: 3.6 in Communications
GRE: Q 610 V - 570 W - 5.0
Accepted: Brown, UC-Denver, GW, and Drexel
I am not waiting on any other schools.

I have spent a lot of time working with underserved populations in several capacities. I have also spent a lot of time in the hospital setting, observing doctors in three different departments for a few years. I am ski instructor and volunteer at the local high school as a mentor. In my essays I mostly wrote about how my choices in life have dictated the changes in my attitude towards work, money, and social issues. I may not have a lot of experience in PH directly or the best GRE, but I have met a lot of people. I wrote about how these people and experiences define a logical path to public health. My references were all PhDs and one adcom for WWAMI. My research was on the impact of barriers to quality and care in the emergency department and the resulting outcomes.

Please feel free to send me a message if you have anymore questions! Good luck!

Hi Mzeep! Do you have any kind of experience with public health or are you only looking at MPH programs as a backup for medical school? As has been said on these boards multiple times, and MPH is not a place to wait out for a medical school acceptance. Although there are some MDs who are interested in public health and do go for an MPH, there are many of us who want to work only in the public health field. Going for an MPH just to buy time takes spots away from those who are genuinely interested in it. Perhaps I misread, but your post gives no indication of interest or experience with public health.

Hi Mzeep! Do you have any kind of experience with public health or are you only looking at MPH programs as a backup for medical school? As has been said on these boards multiple times, and MPH is not a place to wait out for a medical school acceptance. Although there are some MDs who are interested in public health and do go for an MPH, there are many of us who want to work only in the public health field. Going for an MPH just to buy time takes spots away from those who are genuinely interested in it. Perhaps I misread, but your post gives no indication of interest or experience with public health.

Hi Epi!

I just PM'ed you! Felt like I was derailing this thread by posting everything =)

SOPHAS Submitted: 01/09/2011
SOPHAS Verified: 02/03/2011

Accepted: Columbia (03/02/2011), GW (03/02/2011), Yale (03/08/2011)
Rejected: none
Awaiting: Boston Univ.

GRE: V-550, M-760, W-5.0

in light of the situation, i think it'd be courteous to send out informal email acceptances to applicants, so everyone knows their status and has sufficient time to make an informed decision. it's my understanding that the graduate school 'almost always' takes the departments recommendation.

-waystinthyme

This may or may not help those waiting on UNC, but as far as the admissions go, I actually got a phone call from a current student offering me admission to the program several weeks ago. Then about a week ago I got another email from the administrative assistant for my area (MCH) with another confirmation of my admission offer. I was told that my official acceptance letter was in the mail. The student then checked in with me later to see if I received official letter and then arranged for it to be sent again when I told him I hadn't received it. While I can understand the frustration of not hearing from the program, I have had a good experience so far.

And yes, I believe much of the delay with notifications have been due to the new application system they have. It sucks to be the guinea pigs but I hope that next year this process goes smoother!

Good luck to all those waiting on UNC!

M

This may or may not help those waiting on UNC, but as far as the admissions go, I actually got a phone call from a current student offering me admission to the program several weeks ago. Then about a week ago I got another email from the administrative assistant for my area (MCH) with another confirmation of my admission offer. I was told that my official acceptance letter was in the mail. The student then checked in with me later to see if I received official letter and then arranged for it to be sent again when I told him I hadn't received it. While I can understand the frustration of not hearing from the program, I have had a good experience so far.

And yes, I believe much of the delay with notifications have been due to the new application system they have. It sucks to be the guinea pigs but I hope that next year this process goes smoother!

M

if i'm not mistaken, UNC will be joining the SOPHAS system next year. hopefully that will eliminate a lot of the delay/problems applicants are having this year.

http://www.sophas.org/schools/UNC.cfm

-waystinthyme

M

Hi MPHMelissa,

Really-a current student offered you admission?

While I understand that all departments operate differently, I can't help but wonder...The new admissions process-as far as I understand it-mainly affects the Grad School's official admissions offers. So it seems like HBHE may be shooting themselves in the feet by not handing out informal offers once the department has made their decisions. Applicants with no news whatsoever may well take it as a bad sign and accept offers elsewhere....

Although the SOPHAS process is not exactly painless, it will be great that applicants won't have to deal with these delays next year.

In any case, thanks for sharing.

Hi MPHMelissa,

Really-a current student offered you admission?

While I understand that all departments operate differently, I can't help but wonder...The new admissions process-as far as I understand it-mainly affects the Grad School's official admissions offers. So it seems like HBHE may be shooting themselves in the feet by not handing out informal offers once the department has made their decisions. Applicants with no news whatsoever may well take it as a bad sign and accept offers elsewhere....

Although the SOPHAS process is not exactly painless, it will be great that applicants won't have to deal with these delays next year.

In any case, thanks for sharing.

I think there are a lot of us that couldn't agree more. I decided on Friday that if I hadn't heard from UNC I was just going to moved forward with booking flights for my other visits and deal with visiting them when I hear - so I definitly won't be at the admitted weekend now (if I am in :)).

It's also pushed me to do more research on other schools and now I am far less confident about going there anyway. It just doesn't seem like they have the same oppurtunites as a JH or Emory. I hope for their sake they get it together next year, because there is no way that this isn't going to affect the caliber of their class for this year.

I think there are a lot of us that couldn't agree more. I decided on Friday that if I hadn't heard from UNC I was just going to moved forward with booking flights for my other visits and deal with visiting them when I hear - so I definitly won't be at the admitted weekend now (if I am in :)).

Haha, I came to the same conclusion on Friday as well! UNC had one of the earlier deadlines. Most people who applied there have already gotten word from their other schools at this point. More than 2 months after their deadline and they expect people to keep waiting? It's really a shame. UNC is a great school, but they have given me a lot of time to weigh my other options. Emory is definitely winning. Even if I got an acceptance from UNC, it would come at a point where I would not be able to afford a last minute flight to go out and visit the university before the accept/reject offer deadlines for my other schools approached.

Harvard says all admission decisions will be handed out by the end of March- that's so late...here's to not sleeping!