Accepted to BSN program but dreaming of Med School... HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aealin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

New to this whole thing and would love some feedback. Some background...

-Planned to go Pre-Med in high school but chickened out at last minute
-Graduated in '13 with a Bachelors in Spanish instead (3.5 GPA)
-Traveled around a lot, have struggled to get a good job since
-Decided to finally go back to school, got into Accelerated BSN program

The program doesn't start until next spring and I'm working on some pre-reqs now. Nursing excites me and I love the idea of being very hands on with my patients. I'm particularly interested in working a surgery setting. When I decided to go back to school I figured I don't have much time to mess around since I'm almost 28 so I thought an accelerated nursing program would be smart. I haven't even started anatomy yet but I literally get sucked into reading materials, watching dissection videos, surgery videos, etc every night while I'm trying to study basic Biology. The more I think about it, the more I still wish I had just decided to do a Post-Bac program and head to Med School. I'm wondering if it's too late to go this route or if it makes any sense in my current situation? I haven't started the BSN yet so it seems almost silly to jump ship already. But I get this insane feeling of excitement and passion when I think about really diving deep and going to med school. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's really difficult for anyone of us to tell you what the best path is for you. I'm sure you know that every person has their own situation they are dealing with and the scenarios are endless.

As a previous nurse who made the jump into medicine, I will tell you this...I have absolutely no regrets.

My situation wasn't rainbow and butterfly, I had to sacrifice a lot including time and caring for my family to pursue this path. Med school has been really difficult but at the same time I am absolutely enjoying it.

I started med school when I was 27 YO, so you're not far in front of me. My oldest classmate was 38 and she's planning on doing a surgical residency. It's brutal, but at the end of the day, it's what WE want. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head to do medicine. It's all on you. Would you be ok living with the "What Ifs" or do you want to take the plunge and at the end say, "I tried"?

Reactions: 1 user
It's really difficult for anyone of us to tell you what the best path is for you. I'm sure you know that every person has their own situation they are dealing with and the scenarios are endless.

As a previous nurse who made the jump into medicine, I will tell you this...I have absolutely no regrets.

My situation wasn't rainbow and butterfly, I had to sacrifice a lot including time and caring for my family to pursue this path. Med school has been really difficult but at the same time I am absolutely enjoying it.

I started med school when I was 27 YO, so you're not far in front of me. My oldest classmate was 38 and she's planning on doing a surgical residency. It's brutal, but at the end of the day, it's what WE want. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head to do medicine. It's all on you. Would you be ok living with the "What Ifs" or do you want to take the plunge and at the end say, "I tried"?

Ah thank you so much for your response. It's definitely a hard choice to make. I feel like I will totally regret it if I don't go for it, either now or eventually. It seems like the chance to just go for it is now though. Happy to know that there are a lot of RNs turned MDs out here though!

Ah thank you so much for your response. It's definitely a hard choice to make. I feel like I will totally regret it if I don't go for it, either now or eventually. It seems like the chance to just go for it is now though. Happy to know that there are a lot of RNs turned MDs out here though!

Honestly, if you don't have anything holding you back, go for it! If you have no crazy family obligations or some odd ties, I'd say the time is now. Take your pre-reqs, start shadowing, get some volunteering experience, kill the MCAT, don't do anything stupid or get in trouble and you'll have a shot.

The biggest thing for me was regrets. I didn't want to have regrets. I left a 90K / year 36 hrs per week / 3 days a week nursing gig to pursue this. It doesn't get sweeter than that for nursing gigs, for medicine. I look back and think about the loss of income, but honestly, it doesn't bother me too much. I live within my means now, have a lot of money I saved over the years and doing just fine. Cause at the end of the day this is something I want to do.