This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memberberries

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone offer their experiences at Yale as an elective student?

I've been accepted for IM-Gastro and IM-Allergy/Immuno and a friend of mine I think has been accepted for General Surgery.

If anyone could offer their experiences or advice as to whether it's worth taking, I'd appreciate it.

I was hoping to get a placement at Cornell instead, based on some of the things I've read but they still havent answered. I've heard that Yale really works their elective students to the bone and don't generally give recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess it is rotation specific. I had great rotations at Yale where everybody was nice, hours were fine, and I got a letter. Probably just depends on what attendings and residents you get.

I would guess it is rotation specific. I had great rotations at Yale where everybody was nice, hours were fine, and I got a letter. Probably just depends on what attendings and residents you get.

Which rotations did you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Work hard? Play nice? it’s an elective, Yale or the medical school down the street. Show up on time? Do you really need special advice for an elective at Yale? Am I missing something here

Work hard? Play nice? it’s an elective, Yale or the medical school down the street. Show up on time? Do you really need special advice for an elective at Yale? Am I missing something here
Most electives dont specify an 80 hour work week. So, yes.

sounds like a humble brag to me

2/10
Not a brag. I'm serious. If my other options would respond today then I would probably pick Cornell. I am concerned about the work environment at Yale because a lot of what I read wasn't good and now that I've been accepted, I need to know.

Not a brag. I'm serious. If my other options would respond today then I would probably pick Cornell. I am concerned about the work environment at Yale because a lot of what I read wasn't good and now that I've been accepted, I need to know.
Can I ask why you wouldn't advise going?
Not a brag. I really want to hear what other visiting students thought of the place ASAP.

Your impatience, lack of sarcasm-detection, and name-dropping makes me not want to respond, but I will. Electives in IM are useless. You will spend more time learning the EMR than actual medicine. It's expensive and IM is too big of a field to mean anything. You can learn GI/AI just as well at your home institution as you can elsewhere. No one will care about your elective at Yale!! But congratulations!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would really like to know how this turned out. There isn't much information out there on Yale experiences. Please update when possible!!!

I would really like to know how this turned out. There isn't much information out there on Yale experiences. Please update when possible!!!
Avoid peds, EM is great, IM is pretty good all around, surgery is rough but you'll learn a lot. Neuro is solid. This is from a clinician's perspective, nfc how their rotations are but I know what areas are worth spending time in

Never understood why one would do aways in I'M unless it's close to home/free housing or you are incredibly inflexible in terms of ranking. As my pd told me... 90% of people come and look stupid as you bug your resident on how to use the emr, how to use the paging system, where the bathroom is etc. IM is so big nobody will care about where you do an elective

With all the exclamation points, I misread that this was an elective and assumed he was accepted to Yale Medical School or something.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think most of Yale’s residencies are actually that competitive so it’s not like doing an away there is going to add much to your app

Reactions: 1 user