ACOM vs. VCOM-Auburn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ididthedew

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I am well aware that there are at least 2 different threads on ACOM Vs. VCOM-Auburn, BUT I wanted to post another one so there can be a more updated version.

It would be great to just hear opinions of students (current & past, as well as potential students that have recently interviewed) and those that have thoroughly researched the two schools. The posts don't necessarily have to be comparing the two, but just giving whatever thoughts and opinions you all have.

They are both equal on my list and I would love to go to either of the two.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to post about VCOM, because I know nothing of ACOM, except that their students are extremely friendly (They gave a presentation at our college). Anyways, VCOM is number one in my book because of one instance that they displayed during a presentation. Apparently there was a woman in their program that was struggling to pass her boards. They gave her three attempts and she failed all of them. You would assume that her medical career would be over. Nope, they allowed her one final re-take and she passed! Now, I don't believe this always happens, but it is helpful knowing a school will do everything that they can to keep their students. I hope I pass my boards on the first time, but I know too well, that life tends to sucker punch you at the worst time.

Other than that, I believe both schools are amazing! They seem like solid programs and I would love to attend either.

To post on ACOM, because I know nothing of VCOM-Auburn (opposite of last poster lol), I've just interviewed/been accepted at ACOM, so I'm no expert - there are many who are actually experts on here though. But it does seem like truly a great place with both a friendly staff and students who truly want to be there. Their facilities are new and better than a lot of bigger name schools, and the affiliation with their founding hospital seems like a real positive. I have heard nothing negative on these forums about the school, which I feel like says a lot knowing sdn.

But now you have two equally positive reviews of each school, helping your decision none haha. Sorry.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to post about VCOM, because I know nothing of ACOM, except that their students are extremely friendly (They gave a presentation at our college). Anyways, VCOM is number one in my book because of one instance that they displayed during a presentation. Apparently there was a woman in their program that was struggling to pass her boards. They gave her three attempts and she failed all of them. You would assume that her medical career would be over. Nope, they allowed her one final re-take and she passed! Now, I don't believe this always happens, but it is helpful knowing a school will do everything that they can to keep their students. I hope I pass my boards on the first time, but I know too well, that life tends to sucker punch you at the worst time.

Other than that, I believe both schools are amazing! They seem like solid programs and I would love to attend either.
To post on ACOM, because I know nothing of VCOM-Auburn (opposite of last poster lol), I've just interviewed/been accepted at ACOM, so I'm no expert - there are many who are actually experts on here though. But it does seem like truly a great place with both a friendly staff and students who truly want to be there. Their facilities are new and better than a lot of bigger name schools, and the affiliation with their founding hospital seems like a real positive. I have heard nothing negative on these forums about the school, which I feel like says a lot knowing sdn.

But now you have two equally positive reviews of each school, helping your decision none haha. Sorry.

LOL oh jeez ok thank you both. I appreciate both of your inputs.

They gave her three attempts and she failed all of them. You would assume that her medical career would be over. Nope, they allowed her one final re-take and she passed!

This isn't as helpful as it seems. A lot of states require that you pass in 3 attempts or less to be licensed so that person is still screwed. I would not choose a school based on this.

OP ACOM wins this one every time. They have a monopoly on the good rotation sites in Alabama (outside of the UAB stuff).

Reactions: 3 users
:D
This isn't as helpful as it seems. A lot of states require that you pass in 3 attempts or less to be licensed so that person is still screwed. I would not choose a school based on this.

OP ACOM wins this one every time. They have a monopoly on the good rotation sites in Alabama (outside of the UAB stuff).
Wow... I didn't know that. He did state she moved to Virginia (guess he was withholding that info). Yes! ACOM has top notch rotation sites. They said they prepared for 10 years and it shows. I'm partial to VCOM because I like Auburn :D

Hi, everyone!

I am well aware that there are at least 2 different threads on ACOM Vs. VCOM-Auburn, BUT I wanted to post another one so there can be a more updated version.

It would be great to just hear opinions of students (current & past, as well as potential students that have recently interviewed) and those that have thoroughly researched the two schools. The posts don't necessarily have to be comparing the two, but just giving whatever thoughts and opinions you all have.

They are both equal on my list and I would love to go to either of the two.

Go where you will feel the most comfortable and where you think you will succeed.

I've interviewed at both schools a few years back, and in my opinion, I was not impressed with VCOM-Auburn because they kept trying to sell Auburn's football team during the interview rather than its academics or clinical rotation sites. That was not for me at all, but it was probably a dream for someone else.

I knew board scores were up to me, but I needed a school with really good clinical rotation sites. In the end, what matters are your needs and what you look for in a school.

Reactions: 1 users
I live near Auburn and interview at VCOM-A this upcoming week. I've been to ACOM twice and would choose it any day of the week over VCOM.

Any particular reasons why? :0
Just the overall feel i got from the schools. ACOM has a better building and facilities. Plus they are working on research if I'm not mistaken. They just seem to have a better grasp of how to teach and I liked the faculty better. The curriculum at ACOM seems better, but VCOM does have the other campuses associated with it, so that is good. ACOM did just genuinely seem like the better school out of the two. If you have some specific questions id be more than willing to help.

Just the overall feel i got from the schools. ACOM has a better building and facilities. Plus they are working on research if I'm not mistaken. They just seem to have a better grasp of how to teach and I liked the faculty better. The curriculum at ACOM seems better, but VCOM does have the other campuses associated with it, so that is good. ACOM did just genuinely seem like the better school out of the two. If you have some specific questions id be more than willing to help.

i appreciate that, thank you :-} I'l be sure to dm you if any questions pop up.

I live near Auburn and interview at VCOM-A this upcoming week. I've been to ACOM twice and would choose it any day of the week over VCOM.

I'm curious about their rotation sites. If they're mostly in Alabama or do they stretch to the other campuses.

Just interviewed at ACOM but have no knowledge of VCOM-Auburn. So they have rock solid rotations throughout Alabama, in the panhandle of Florida, and in the western region of Georgia. They just built a new research lab and one of the faculty members has received a $1.6 million grant from the AHA for research. Their COMLEX first time pass rates have made a serious jump in the last few years (~94%). The faculty is very flexible and is constantly working to improve the curriculum. 100% residency match for their 1st graduating class, with a pretty nice match list to boot. They just got approved to start a new IM residency at the Regional Medical Center (same hospital they are a division of). On-campus student housing. Systems-based curriculum. Plenty of outreach opportunities and student organizations. Beautiful campus and facilities are top-notch.
As far as negatives go, the only real issue I had was with the heavy push for OMT. Other than that, I really really liked this school and think it has an awesome program. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at VCOM Auburn and was recently accepted! (No ties with ACOM). VCOM's facilities blew me out of the water, and when you also factor in the benefits of being a student of Auburn University, the potential of the school is even higher. The highest class they have right now is M3, and the so far have 11-12 rotation sites throughout AL, GA, and FL. They're using the same curriculum as the Virginia and SC campuses, which have 90%+ pass rates for boards from the past 3-4 years. Auburn will likely follow suit. Also, the other two campus sites had a 100% match for the past 2-3 years. I was very very impressed by the school, and I'm super excited that they were impressed by me, too!

Just interviewed at ACOM but have no knowledge of VCOM-Auburn. So they have rock solid rotations throughout Alabama, in the panhandle of Florida, and in the western region of Georgia. They just built a new research lab and one of the faculty members has received a $1.6 million grant from the AHA for research. Their COMLEX first time pass rates have made a serious jump in the last few years (~94%). The faculty is very flexible and is constantly working to improve the curriculum. 100% residency match for their 1st graduating class, with a pretty nice match list to boot. They just got approved to start a new IM residency at the Regional Medical Center (same hospital they are a division of). On-campus student housing. Systems-based curriculum. Plenty of outreach opportunities and student organizations. Beautiful campus and facilities are top-notch.
As far as negatives go, the only real issue I had was with the heavy push for OMT. Other than that, I really really liked this school and think it has an awesome program. Hope that helps.
I interviewed at VCOM Auburn and was recently accepted! (No ties with ACOM). VCOM's facilities blew me out of the water, and when you also factor in the benefits of being a student of Auburn University, the potential of the school is even higher. The highest class they have right now is M3, and the so far have 11-12 rotation sites throughout AL, GA, and FL. They're using the same curriculum as the Virginia and SC campuses, which have 90%+ pass rates for boards from the past 3-4 years. Auburn will likely follow suit. Also, the other two campus sites had a 100% match for the past 2-3 years. I was very very impressed by the school, and I'm super excited that they were impressed by me, too!

Thank you both!! I really appreciate the insight.

Reactions: 1 users
Chiming in - I see a lot of ACOM students claiming that they have "all the good rotations", and I don't think that's necessarily true. Last year's VCOM class all were placed in their #1 or #2 choice for rotation sites, and that includes a bunch in metro Alabama (Birmingham, Huntsville, etc) as well as Florida (Jacksonville, Wellington, and Fort Walton Beach) and rural Alabama (including a few sites right in ACOM's backyard). I think that's mostly hype on ACOM's part? I got into both schools and loved them both, but ultimately chose VCOM and I'm quite happy there.

And to answer a previously asked question - yes, at VCOM-Auburn you can potentially have access to VCOM's other campus sites in Virginia and South Carolina, if you so chose.