This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Dude....

The Dude Abides...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,

After consideration I think the HPSP route is my best option, due to the length of my current ADSO. If I was to wait out my SLRP ADSO I would be waiting another 3 years. I have heard that conditional releases with the intent of joining the HPSP program, upon acceptance to medical school, is possible. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, please let me know what you did and how it worked out for you. Thanks you

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on your Corps. I was denied conditional release but I am already medical. I have heard of an Armor officer being released with HPSP. I do not know personally any physicians who transitioned from Officer to HPSP.

Gentleman,

After consideration I think the HPSP route is my best option, due to the length of my current ADSO. If I was to wait out my SLRP ADSO I would be waiting another 3 years. I have heard that conditional releases with the intent of joining the HPSP program, upon acceptance to medical school, is possible. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, please let me know what you did and how it worked out for you. Thanks you

I know an medical service corps officer who had an service obligation from west point. .She was able to get released from that to pursue HPSP. It was a pain in the neck and didn't actually come in time for her start medical school. Apparently, it had to come from the surgeon general and there was some turnover around that time. (she actually had deferred the previous year as well, so it was two deferrals). The sad thing: when I had gotten in to medical school and was getting ready to move I heard from her she was making plans for another deferral because she had been offered a choice job with the Army surgeon general. :smack: .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know an medical service corps officer who had an service obligation from west point. .She was able to get released from that to pursue HPSP. It was a pain in the neck and didn't actually come in time for her start medical school. Apparently, it had to come from the surgeon general and there was some turnover around that time. (she actually had deferred the previous year as well, so it was two deferrals). The sad thing: when I had gotten in to medical school and was getting ready to move I heard from her she was making plans for another deferral because she had been offered a choice job with the Army surgeon general. :smack: .
Ouch...bad move...nothing against my branch...but...picking it over medical school. Not a chance.

I am on the same boat here. I am all for serving America, but I would love to do it as a surgeon more than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
if you're an army officer, i have a conditional UQR template and a successfully executed 4187 given to me from a HPSP recruiter. pm me if you are interested.
That is interesting, but I have never heard of that before to be honest. How does that work?

Submit a conditional uqr stating if you get selected for hpsp yada yada. Submit 4187 through senior rater to hrc asking for approval to apply/be released from your branch
I have heard people say that it depends on MOS, is this true? Would it be advantageous to already be on medical?

Submit a conditional uqr stating if you get selected for hpsp yada yada. Submit 4187 through senior rater to hrc asking for approval to apply/be released from your branch
That would be awesome man. I'll PM you here