AD Applying for UHUHS- Does current rank matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does current rank matter for applying to UHUHS? Does rank affect what pay you receive while in school?

I am AD Army with 9 years service about to be promoted to O-4.

Does my rank disqualify me for USUHS? If not, what would my rank be when I graduate? Would I graduate O-4, or would I be reduced to O-3? While in school, would I be paid based on current grade / time-in-service?

Thanks for your answers!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong, but im pretty sure that you will get paid loke an lt in school, but then regain rank and tis after you graduate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Theres many pathways to being a military doc, so dont be turned off i USUHS doesnt pan out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does current rank matter for applying to UHUHS? Does rank affect what pay you receive while in school?

I am AD Army with 9 years service about to be promoted to O-4.

Does my rank disqualify me for USUHS? If not, what would my rank be when I graduate? Would I graduate O-4, or would I be reduced to O-3? While in school, would I be paid based on current grade / time-in-service?

Thanks for your answers!!!

Shouldn't be an issue. There are typically a handful of prior O4's in every class. As a demoted O1 med student, you will get "save pay" which will bring your total taxable pay up to whatever it would have been as an O4 still serving (with frozen time in service). However, you will still take a pay cut by only receiving an O1 basic allowance for housing (BAH) - not O4 BAH. Upon graduation, you will promote to O3 like the rest of your classmates, but will promote early to O4 within a few years, because you get 50% credit for your prior officer years as time in grade.

I may be wrong, but im pretty sure that you will get paid loke an lt in school, but then regain rank and tis after you graduate.

You're right. I just found this in a brochure:

"Military personnel accepted for entrance who hold appointments in grades higher than O-1 must be recommissioned as an O-1 upon matriculation. Regular officers of the uniformed services selected for entrance must resign their Regular commission to enter the School."

"The four years spent in medical school do not count toward determining pay upon graduation. All students are commissioned into the regular medical corps on graduation day in grade O-3"

You're right. I just found this in a brochure:

"Military personnel accepted for entrance who hold appointments in grades higher than O-1 must be recommissioned as an O-1 upon matriculation. Regular officers of the uniformed services selected for entrance must resign their Regular commission to enter the School."

"The four years spent in medical school do not count toward determining pay upon graduation. All students are commissioned into the regular medical corps on graduation day in grade O-3"

This is correct, but so is the above post. You will be recommissioned as an O1 and will wear that rank, but will get paid as if you were still your old rank while in medical school (this changed about 10 years ago....before that you would take a big pay cut as well).

You will not get the longevity pay raises while in school and then at graduation you will supersede to O3 with however many years you had when you entered school. You will get 50% credit for your prior service towards making O4 again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
For people with 12 years or more who were O-4 generally go back to O-4 at graduation.

This made me think of a guy I ran into when I interviewed at USUHS, what, 25 years ago now. He was USN MSC O-1. He told me his story - he WAS an aviator that lost aircraft x3 (loss of airframe - I didn't press as to crash, dumped any in the ocean, or what). He got taken off the line, had his designator changed, and was dropped down to O-1, and allowed to apply to med school.

Shouldn't be an issue. There are typically a handful of prior O4's in every class. As a demoted O1 med student, you will get "save pay" which will bring your total taxable pay up to whatever it would have been as an O4 still serving (with frozen time in service). However, you will still take a pay cut by only receiving an O1 basic allowance for housing (BAH) - not O4 BAH. Upon graduation, you will promote to O3 like the rest of your classmates, but will promote early to O4 within a few years, because you get 50% credit for your prior officer years as time in grade.

Would an early promotee to O-4 miss out on opportunities for additional hands-on experience and training that an officer on a traditional timeline would receive--due to the O-4 having to take on administrative or supervisory responsibilities?

This made me think of a guy I ran into when I interviewed at USUHS, what, 25 years ago now. He was USN MSC O-1. He told me his story - he WAS an aviator that lost aircraft x3 (loss of airframe - I didn't press as to crash, dumped any in the ocean, or what). He got taken off the line, had his designator changed, and was dropped down to O-1, and allowed to apply to med school.

Well I guess everything worked out for him! I hope he made a better doctor than pilot!!!

Would an early promotee to O-4 miss out on opportunities for additional hands-on experience and training that an officer on a traditional timeline would receive--due to the O-4 having to take on administrative or supervisory responsibilities?

No.

You are fine. The only issue that some run into is if they do a GMO tour and then come back to residency and hit the O5 board either in residency or just after finishing residency. With how tough it is to make O5 these days it can cause some stress to be in that situation. I'm sure there are one or two, but as long as you are in residency it seems to work out for most. But you can't play in the GMO world for too long because you end up in this catch-22 of not being able to promote because you aren't in residency or beyond and not being able to get a residency because you were a failure to select. (But that would be six years after pinning on O4)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

LOL

No

LOL

The official purpose of non-medical O3ish "experience and training" is to build character, hone endurance, and grind the first layer or two off the young lieutenant's soul (captain for you Army & AF types). There's no down side to early promotion.

As a young O4 you can take on or dodge admin type responsibilities in accordance with your preferences and ambitions to make O5.