Advanced PTeExam (Echo Boards)

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by G0S2, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. G0S2

G0S2 SDN Angel 10+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Got my ass handed to me today. Read the Mathew book 3x, the Edelman US Physics book 2x and thousands of Q's. Quite a few WTF? views. Don't feel good about it but I don't know what else I could have done as a resident. Kudos to those of you that passed that beast in previous years.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hawaiian Bruin

Hawaiian Bruin Breaking Good 10+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2003
    I thought it was a pretty tough but generally fair test. I thought the image quality left quite a but to be desired, but that it didn't affect things that much. They had a hard-on for contrast echo for reasons a little baffling to me, since I've used contrast in the OR exactly zero times.

Thought the physics was straightforward, moreso than I expected.

Sounds about the same as years past, more or less.

4. Hawaiian Bruin

Hawaiian Bruin Breaking Good 10+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Oh and if you pass that thing as a resident, bravo.

FFP likes this.
  5. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick! 7+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Had a Cooch
    I probably prepped about one tenth of you. But I did a fellowship, and those numbers with your hands on a probe matter. That's how you wrap your head around the unique views they presented.

Wish you the best with your results. No way I could have prepared like that in residency, with writtens, etc.

6. DrBeaker

DrBeaker Me me, me meme 5+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Good luck! Heard it was tough today. I'm taking it as a resident next year. Let us know how you did.

7. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Here
    where do you guys train that you can get the exams that you need (isnt it 150 exams performed for the advanced?)

8. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick! 7+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Had a Cooch
    They aren't certifying. Just taking the test. Even if they could get the 150, they couldn't certify without fellowship.

9. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Here
    thats what i thought

10. bullard

bullard Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2005
    What's the point of that?

11. periopdoc

periopdoc Cardiac Anesthesiologist Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Kalispell, Montana
    If you want to do hearts at my place, you have to have taken the exam but certification is not required. More places are doing this.

- pod

12. MTGas2B

MTGas2B Cloudy and 50 10+ Year Member

The board will recognize you as a testamur. For what's its worth.

Maybe if fellowship gets competitive enough its what people will have to do to stand out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  13. ProRealDoc

ProRealDoc Anti-AANA 7+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2009
    For those who certified, how long after you submitted your paperwork did you receive your diplomate certificate? I sent my application with supporting documentation in October 2011 and no diplomate certificate yet.

I am not referring to the initial certificate you receive stating you passed the advanced examination. I got that one already.

If you completed a fellowship and passed the Advanced PTE exam, you are an NBE diplomate and a FASE (fellow of he american society of echocardiography). Hmm..I better order newly embroidered white coats to showcase my achievement. :D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  14. proman

proman Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Physician
    The NBE has dropped the ball. They haven't met to approve certifications since last year. Jack Shanewise is in charge of the group. I've called the NBE multiple times and it's always one excuse or another. By their own rules, they have 1 year to review your application. It's cost me $10,000 in lost bonus because they can't get their act together.

BTW, FASE is an actual honor that you have to earn and get elected to, it's not an automatic qualification thing (requires teaching, resesearch/publications, etc).

15. seinfeld

seinfeld ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Same at my place, I have not supported the decision to require certification via fellowship.

16. ProRealDoc

ProRealDoc Anti-AANA 7+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2009
    What?! You mean I actually have to earn that credential. Maybe we can lobby to have that changed. I was hoping to pad my CV and parade around with added acronyms after my name.

17. Hockeyguy

Hockeyguy Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2005
    St Louis/Denver
    Anybody taking or took the basic echo exam. I'm taking tomorrow more just to get the piece of paper. How hard is the basic? I haven't been studying a lot. Wish me luck!

18. CrazyJake

CrazyJake ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Taking it also tomorrow. No idea what to expect.

The Basic content outline on website leaves a lot to be desired!

Any one have any last minute recommendations?

Good luck,
    CJ

19. gasattack3

gasattack3 Banned

Jul 1, 2012
    How does Testamur versus Fellowship--->Certified in advanced TEE effect billing???

Oops, sorry CJ. Shouldn't have linked to your post...

20. periopdoc

Sep 8, 2008
    Kalispell, Montana
    Any anesthesiologist can bill for TEE. No testamur/ fellowship/ whatever required.

- pod

21. gasattack3

gasattack3 Banned

Jul 1, 2012
    Just for clarification, more places are requiring at least taking/passing the exam (versus generalists whom have not), or is there a trend away from cardiac fellowship requirements so long as you are a Testamur?

22. periopdoc

Sep 8, 2008
    Kalispell, Montana
    No trend per se. Just that some places are requiring passage of the PTEExam (basic or advanced) for generalists who want to do hearts. Certainly no trend away from fellowship trained anesthesiologists.

- pod

23. B-Bone

B-Bone Attending 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I took the basic exam today. I definitely overstudied because I had no idea what was going to be on the exam. I was ready to drop a bunch of crazy calculations and diastology and congenital stuff, and it just wasn't on the exam. One of the resources I used was e-echocardiography.com. This website has an intro TEE section that seemed way way too superficial for exam prep, but in actuality covered pretty much everything on the test. I would highly recommend it for any future test-takers.

As far as why I took it, it's solely a feather in my cap at this point. I am in the generation that can't get advanced PTE certified without fellowship, so I decided to get the basic certification. My group of 20 anesthesiologists does about 250 hearts/year. I try to do a TEE on all of these patients (if I am there and have time), but realistically I'm only personally doing 20-25 hearts a year, half of which are OPCABs. No one (my partners, the surgeons, the cardiologists) expects me to make surgical decisions in the OR based on my TEE, but I just enjoy doing it and feel more in the loop when I can see what's going on. Also, I do tend to get called into the OR when some of my less experienced/interested partners are doing hearts, either by them or the surgeon. I just think it can't be a bad thing to have another little nugget on the resume when the hospital/AMC buys out your group, your group decides to slim down, or you're just looking for another job for any reason.

24. gasattack3

gasattack3 Banned

Jul 1, 2012
    POD, seriously? For example, can you document a 20 view exam, dictated for the medical record? With the BASIC certification?

25. lane

lane Passing gas 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Yep. You just aren't supposed to diagnose anything that would need surgical intervention intraoperatively.

From the NBE website:
    [Scope of Practice: The application of a basic perioperative TEE examination is limited to non-diagnostic use within the customary practice of anesthesiology. Be*cause the goal of and training in basic PTE is focused on intraoperative monitoring rather than specific diagnosis, except in emergent situations, diagnoses requiring intraoperative cardiac surgical intervention or postop*erative medical/surgical management must be confirmed by an individual with advanced skills in TEE or by an independent diagnostic technique.]

26. periopdoc

Sep 8, 2008
    Kalispell, Montana
    Yes. You may even do this without any certification or testamur status unless your hospital privileging dictates otherwise. You may diagnose things that need to be addressed surgically. As long as your report is complete, you may legitimately bill for it and the payers will pay (as long as there is a valid indication). Hell, a CRNA can perform it and get payed for it.

Certification/ testamur is strictly voluntary and the NBE has no authority to sanction anyone who is performing echocardiography without seeking their stamp of approval. If you want to stay within the confines dictated by the NBE, then lane is correct and you would not make calls on surgical issues with anything less than advanced cert/ testamur.

Certification/ testamur status simply demonstrates your commitment to excellence in echocardiography. Your local hospital may require it for privileging, like mine does, but it is not mandatory at the state or federal level.

- pod

27. Boujee

Boujee 2+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Just thought I would revive this thread since the exam is coming up...

For those who passed:

1) what did you feel was the best physics resource?
    2)Which question book was most similar to exam?
    3) Which major textbook best prep'd you? (mathew, perrino, savage, etc...)

Thanks!!!

28. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Physics- Edelman

Qs- Burch

Book- Mathew

29. DrBeaker

Jun 26, 2011
    Test was today. That was fun. Now we wait...

30. biddi45

biddi45 Chief Resident 7+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yeah the test was very very fun. Good luck to all who taken the exam!

31. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Good luck, guys. If I can do it, you can. You feel like poop after.

32. btr413

btr413 2+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Awating advanced results for 2013 seemed tough--passed/certified Basic in 2011 via practice pathway
    Used PTE Masters online super resource--loved the video lectures
    Edelman,Masters as well
    Did lots of practice questions
    Should hear soon!!

33. Dx Feelgood

Dx Feelgood

Oct 5, 2007
    What takes so long for these results?

34. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Check web site. Search for your name. Found out that way well before mailing.

35. sevoflurane

sevoflurane Ride 10+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Taking the advanced one next time around. Any more feed back on what can be expected would be appreciated.

I suck at physics :)mad:) and it's the main reason I have dragged my feet on this, but now it's time.

So much harder to do these things once you are years into practice.

36. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    For Physics-Edelman. Makes it easy.

37. sevoflurane

sevoflurane Ride 10+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Nice. Sounds like you passed. :thumbup:

38. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    I did last year. Physics is roughly 10-15% and I felt comfortable with all of the Qs having read Edelman. My advice- focus on echo and then read Edelman with 2-3 weeks to go. I have been looking over some of the PTE Masters and it seems good. ( Just want to say now that I have nothing to do with them).

39. btr413

btr413 2+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2011
    PASSED will get certified via practicce pathway
    Thank you PTE Masters!

sevoflurane likes this.
  40. IDPHARM

IDPHARM Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Congrats to you.

Ditto for me also. Thanks to PTEMasters!

41. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Congratulations!!!

42. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Passed....this old dog learned a new trick:)

sevoflurane likes this.
  43. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor 10+ Year Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Ann Arbor
    IDPharm & all:

Congrats!!!!

44. DrBeaker

Jun 26, 2011
    Also passed. Congrats to all and good luck to those next year

45. RU2003

RU2003 RU2003 7+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2004
    NJ
    Is this for July 8 exam this year? How do u find out if you passed? My email I had registered expired

46. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Go to NBE and search for your name. Left side has menu allowing you to search for names. I found out that way last year days before email.

47. RU2003

RU2003 RU2003 7+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2004
    NJ
    But are people talking about this year being avail?

48. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Names aren't up yet. Website says names go up 14 days after notification. I got email result Thursday but my name isn't up either. Don't worry if you don't see it yet.

RU2003, I would call or email NBE on Monday to update your email address.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  49. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    Ok. Last year I found out that way before email. Sorry.

50. MB Singam

MB Singam 2+ Year Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Generally, how long does it take to study for the advaned PTEeXAM? Is 3 months sufficient time? Assuming student puts in 10 hours of studies per week.

What is the difference between Basic and Advanced PTEeXAM in terms of exam preparation? Or are they quite similar in exam questions?

51. G0S2

Oct 11, 2003
    TX
    3 months is good.

Very different. Basic- wall motion , coronary feed, volume.

Advanced- the same plus valves, calculations, physics, shunts, congenital lesions, post- repair etc.