*Adversity secondary question? Help!*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lickerwhicker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Discussing challenges your LGBTQ identity is absolutely appropriate if you're comfortable doing so. Discussing personal struggles with your racial identity is also fine, although I encourage you to revisit what you mean by "not being white enough."

Regardless of how common these topics are, if it's true to you, that's probably a good way to answer the prompt.

For the Adversity secondary question, is it supposed to be a "tangible" challenge you had to overcome? Like for example, having a bad relationship with a close family member but learning how to amend the relationship?

Or can the challenge be more internal?

In my case, would it be okay to talk about struggling w/ my sexual orientation (I'm a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, but i lived in a really strict Asian and Catholic household, I didn't really have anyone I could look up to or seek help/advice from for a very long time, etc.)

I am also considering perhaps writing about struggles I've had with my racial identity throughout my life (stereotypes, hateful speech, microaggressions, being Asian but also American at the same time, culture clashes, not being white enough but also not being "Asian" enough, etc.)?

I would also talk about how I overcame those struggles, of course. But would it be okay to talk about one or both of those above topics? Are these topics cliche or overdone at all in secondary applications? Please and thank you so much! :)
Either of these is fine!