Advice and what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrDee99

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. Here's the deal:

I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle as a CA resident with two MCAT scores: 27,29. I applied to 39 MD schools-- got two II and two waitlists at UVM and Quinnipiac. My undergrad GPA is a 3.8c, 3.79s. I didn't know about DO at this point, so didn't apply.

Took a gap year in between, bumped my MCAT up to 508 (130/124/127/127). I know, CARS is low but I can't take this damn test again, so I figured that was that. I also increased clinical volunteering, got published, and got more patient contact as a clinical research associate.

I applied this last cycle (2017-2018) as a MI resident. 38 MD schools, 1 II, 1 post-II hold. I still am waiting on this school to give me a final answer. I didn't apply DO, and honestly have no good reason. I know I should have, but proud me thought I could do it.

I am looking to apply this next cycle for just DO programs, and I am trying to gauge how competitive I would be as a DO applicant. I would still be a MI resident for this cycle.

Other ECs:

Leadership experience on 2 different clubs
3 yrs bench research experience
1 additional pub coming out this summer
Fitness instructor
350 hrs clinical volunteering
1000s hrs patient contact
Danced competitive ballroom in college.

I would love some insight on my chances to applying DO in the upcoming cycle (2018-2019). Do I have a shot, or is it time to pursue other career paths? Concerns are my 3 MCAT scores (primarily) and if that would be looked down upon at DO admissions.

Much thanks for all advice!
 
Last edited:
I’m surprised you didn’t receive more interviews out of 39 MD schools with a 3.8/29.

Do you have any community volunteerism or leadership other than fitness training?

From your GPA/MCAT alone, I think you’re relatively likely to snag interviews at some DO schools. Depending on your volunteerism/leadership, you may be competitive for most DO schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I have clinical volunteering in a children's hospital. I was on the board for the two dance clubs I was on in college.
 
I do not, unfortunately. I could try to get some hours in before this app cycle for DO?
 
I do not, unfortunately. I could try to get some hours in before this app cycle for DO?

That’s a big problem. Nonclinical volunteering is consistently rated as one of the most important categories for admissions officers. This explains why you didn’t receive more MD interviews.

I would get moving on that ASAP before the next cycle. Depending on how much you get in, I recommend applying broadly.
 
Hi all,

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. Here's the deal:

I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle as a CA resident with two MCAT scores: 27,29. I applied to 39 MD schools-- got two II and two waitlists at UVM and Quinnipiac. My undergrad GPA is a 3.8c, 3.79s. I didn't know about DO at this point, so didn't apply.

Took a gap year in between, bumped my MCAT up to 508 (130/124/127/127). I know, CARS is low but I can't take this damn test again, so I figured that was that. I also increased clinical volunteering, got published, and got more patient contact as a clinical research associate.

I applied this last cycle (2017-2018) as a MI resident. 38 MD schools, 1 II, 1 post-II hold. I still am waiting on this school to give me a final answer. I didn't apply DO, and honestly have no good reason. I know I should have, but proud me thought I could do it.

I am looking to apply this next cycle for just DO programs, and I am trying to gauge how competitive I would be as a DO applicant. I would still be a MI resident for this cycle.

Other ECs:

Leadership experience on 2 different clubs
3 yrs bench research experience
1 additional pub coming out this summer
Fitness instructor
200ish hrs clinical volunteering
1000s hrs patient contact
Danced competitive ballroom in college.

I would love some insight on my chances to applying DO in the upcoming cycle (2018-2019). Do I have a shot, or is it time to pursue other career paths? Concerns are my 3 MCAT scores (primarily) and if that would be looked down upon at DO admissions.

Much thanks for all advice!
You're fine for any DO school, including mine.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
 
@Goro, is the lack of nonclinical volunteering an issue? As mentioned by the other poster?
 
@Goro, is the lack of nonclinical volunteering an issue? As mentioned by the other poster?
I have a slightly higher GPA than you and a similar MCAT. I applied to 9 DOs and received 6 interview invites; the ones that I didn't get IIs at had a high regional bias, and I wasn't from that area. I was accepted to all 5 interviews that I went on. I think your app is fine as is; if you want to be safer, do some non-clinical volunteering starting now until you apply. I wouldn't sweat it too much, though.