Advice and what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDee99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. Here's the deal:

I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle as a CA resident with two MCAT scores: 27,29. I applied to 39 MD schools-- got two II and two waitlists at UVM and Quinnipiac. My undergrad GPA is a 3.8c, 3.79s. I didn't know about DO at this point, so didn't apply.

Took a gap year in between, bumped my MCAT up to 508 (130/124/127/127). I know, CARS is low but I can't take this damn test again, so I figured that was that. I also increased clinical volunteering, got published, and got more patient contact as a clinical research associate.

I applied this last cycle (2017-2018) as a MI resident. 38 MD schools, 1 II, 1 post-II hold. I still am waiting on this school to give me a final answer. I didn't apply DO, and honestly have no good reason. I know I should have, but proud me thought I could do it.

I am looking to apply this next cycle for just DO programs, and I am trying to gauge how competitive I would be as a DO applicant. I would still be a MI resident for this cycle.

Other ECs:

Leadership experience on 2 different clubs
3 yrs bench research experience
1 additional pub coming out this summer
Fitness instructor
350 hrs clinical volunteering
1000s hrs patient contact
Danced competitive ballroom in college.

I would love some insight on my chances to applying DO in the upcoming cycle (2018-2019). Do I have a shot, or is it time to pursue other career paths? Concerns are my 3 MCAT scores (primarily) and if that would be looked down upon at DO admissions.

Much thanks for all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m surprised you didn’t receive more interviews out of 39 MD schools with a 3.8/29.

Do you have any community volunteerism or leadership other than fitness training?

From your GPA/MCAT alone, I think you’re relatively likely to snag interviews at some DO schools. Depending on your volunteerism/leadership, you may be competitive for most DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have clinical volunteering in a children's hospital. I was on the board for the two dance clubs I was on in college.

Yes I have clinical volunteering in a children's hospital. I was on the board for the two dance clubs I was on in college.

Clinical volunteering isn’t the same as, say, volunteering in a soup kitchen. Do you have any nonclinical volunteering?

I do not, unfortunately. I could try to get some hours in before this app cycle for DO?

I do not, unfortunately. I could try to get some hours in before this app cycle for DO?

That’s a big problem. Nonclinical volunteering is consistently rated as one of the most important categories for admissions officers. This explains why you didn’t receive more MD interviews.

I would get moving on that ASAP before the next cycle. Depending on how much you get in, I recommend applying broadly.

Hi all,

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. Here's the deal:

I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle as a CA resident with two MCAT scores: 27,29. I applied to 39 MD schools-- got two II and two waitlists at UVM and Quinnipiac. My undergrad GPA is a 3.8c, 3.79s. I didn't know about DO at this point, so didn't apply.

Took a gap year in between, bumped my MCAT up to 508 (130/124/127/127). I know, CARS is low but I can't take this damn test again, so I figured that was that. I also increased clinical volunteering, got published, and got more patient contact as a clinical research associate.

I applied this last cycle (2017-2018) as a MI resident. 38 MD schools, 1 II, 1 post-II hold. I still am waiting on this school to give me a final answer. I didn't apply DO, and honestly have no good reason. I know I should have, but proud me thought I could do it.

I am looking to apply this next cycle for just DO programs, and I am trying to gauge how competitive I would be as a DO applicant. I would still be a MI resident for this cycle.

Other ECs:

Leadership experience on 2 different clubs
3 yrs bench research experience
1 additional pub coming out this summer
Fitness instructor
200ish hrs clinical volunteering
1000s hrs patient contact
Danced competitive ballroom in college.

I would love some insight on my chances to applying DO in the upcoming cycle (2018-2019). Do I have a shot, or is it time to pursue other career paths? Concerns are my 3 MCAT scores (primarily) and if that would be looked down upon at DO admissions.

Much thanks for all advice!
You're fine for any DO school, including mine.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

@Goro, is the lack of nonclinical volunteering an issue? As mentioned by the other poster?

@Goro, is the lack of nonclinical volunteering an issue? As mentioned by the other poster?
I have a slightly higher GPA than you and a similar MCAT. I applied to 9 DOs and received 6 interview invites; the ones that I didn't get IIs at had a high regional bias, and I wasn't from that area. I was accepted to all 5 interviews that I went on. I think your app is fine as is; if you want to be safer, do some non-clinical volunteering starting now until you apply. I wouldn't sweat it too much, though.

Reactions: 1 user