This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednovice12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spent days going through this website seeing if I can even get in anywhere and let me just tell you its a rollercoaster of emotions. There are people with high GPA/high mcat that don't even get into DO schools and other people that get into all of them. I don't even know how to begin choosing where to go. I'm putting my faith into you guys; please help me choose a list. Here is my spiel:

Female, URM (Hispanic from Venezuela, was born there so native Spanish speaker, some places say this isn't a URM or it is, idk??), FL Resident
In high school I completed my AA in Biology then when to our state school where I graduated in Biochemistry with a cGPA 3.2/AACOM GPA 2.94/AMCAS GPA 3.03
Took the MCAT Aug 2017 got a 498 taking it 4/21 averaging ~504
LizzyM score 61

I am currently on my gap year applying to two different postbacc programs (FIU/UM) but since I have completed so many credits 150+ they only will probably raise my cGPA to 3.26, my AACOM GPA to 3.04, and my AMCAS GPA to 3.09 if I average a 3.7 (which is what FIU need to accept you off the waiting list or give you an interview - thats if I get in... so is it even worth it?). But this won't be until next spring and I don'y know if I'll be automatically screened out from a lot of secondaries and interviews because of the <3.0 sGPA

~700 hrs of research all throughout my 6 semesters of undergrad (will have about 10 poster presentations by the time I get accepted and hopefully ~3 publications)
~200 hrs shadowing a neurologist at a private practice
~20 (I know its severely lacking, I am going bump that up by a lot after I take the MCAT) of non-clinical volunteering at a Hospice Home

I worked all throughout my undergraduate career as a Resident Assistant.
I currently work as a Research Associate at a Memory Disorders Clinic in a Big Hospital in South Florida where we handle lots of patients, drug trials, testing, etc.

6 LoR: 2 science faculty (probably aren't going to be that strong since the classes were big), 1 non-science faculty in minor (took her twice, was a note-taker for her class, pretty strong), 1 PI letter at undergraduate research (very strong), 2 MD letters from my current job (one is from the PI/Director of the Center), 1 DO (I finally got a DO doctor to let me shadow him but I haven't started yet so this letter will probably be done a little later in the cycle)

Honestly if I get in anywhere I'll go but I am hoping for schools that are somewhere more centrally located. I know I shouldn't even dream of getting into an MD school but I'll probably apply to UW and GWU because I just love them so much along with the FL MDs.

Thank you for reading this incredibly long post. If you would be able to help I would really appreciate it? @Goro @gyngyn @Faha @everyoneelse

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently on my gap year applying to two different postbacc programs (FIU/UM)

Are those graduate programs? Graduate GPA is viewed separately and does not factor into your undergrad cumulative and science GPA for amcas. Graduate GPA does factor into your undergrad cumulative GPA for aacomas but not science.

Edited:

Those programs aren't grad programs but they are intended for students who haven't taken a pre-med or pre-professional curriculum during their first degree.
Is UM the university of Miami?

Last edited:
until you retake the mcat theres not a whole heck of a lot else to think about. With an improved score i think you have a chance at DO schools but youll need to apply broadly. Id apply to FL MD schools but other md are probably out of reach. Good luck with your retake, focus on taking care of that and the rest will fall into place.

Im pretty positive that a Hispanic female likely qualifies as URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've spent days going through this website seeing if I can even get in anywhere and let me just tell you its a rollercoaster of emotions. There are people with high GPA/high mcat that don't even get into DO schools and other people that get into all of them. I don't even know how to begin choosing where to go. I'm putting my faith into you guys; please help me choose a list. Here is my spiel:

Female, URM (Hispanic from Venezuela, was born there so native Spanish speaker, some places say this isn't a URM or it is, idk??), FL Resident
In high school I completed my AA in Biology then when to our state school where I graduated in Biochemistry with a cGPA 3.2/AACOM GPA 2.94/AMCAS GPA 3.03
Took the MCAT Aug 2017 got a 498 taking it 4/21 averaging ~504
LizzyM score 61

I am currently on my gap year applying to two different postbacc programs (FIU/UM) but since I have completed so many credits 150+ they only will probably raise my cGPA to 3.26, my AACOM GPA to 3.04, and my AMCAS GPA to 3.09 if I average a 3.7 (which is what FIU need to accept you off the waiting list or give you an interview - thats if I get in... so is it even worth it?). But this won't be until next spring and I don'y know if I'll be automatically screened out from a lot of secondaries and interviews because of the <3.0 sGPA

~700 hrs of research all throughout my 6 semesters of undergrad (will have about 10 poster presentations by the time I get accepted and hopefully ~3 publications)
~200 hrs shadowing a neurologist at a private practice
~20 (I know its severely lacking, I am going bump that up by a lot after I take the MCAT) of non-clinical volunteering at a Hospice Home

I worked all throughout my undergraduate career as a Resident Assistant.
I currently work as a Research Associate at a Memory Disorders Clinic in a Big Hospital in South Florida where we handle lots of patients, drug trials, testing, etc.

6 LoR: 2 science faculty (probably aren't going to be that strong since the classes were big), 1 non-science faculty in minor (took her twice, was a note-taker for her class, pretty strong), 1 PI letter at undergraduate research (very strong), 2 MD letters from my current job (one is from the PI/Director of the Center), 1 DO (I finally got a DO doctor to let me shadow him but I haven't started yet so this letter will probably be done a little later in the cycle)

Honestly if I get in anywhere I'll go but I am hoping for schools that are somewhere more centrally located. I know I shouldn't even dream of getting into an MD school but I'll probably apply to UW and GWU because I just love them so much along with the FL MDs.

Thank you for reading this incredibly long post. If you would be able to help I would really appreciate it? @Goro @gyngyn @Faha @everyoneelse
Read my post on premed reinvention

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, not even sure about these metrics they're using but I think its a safe bet to assume the general scheme of things hasn't changed. I entered med school in 2009 at Western University/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. You can achieve anything you want as long as you are willing to work for it. My junior year of high school I had a cumulative 2.2 GPA. Starting my senior year of high school, my GPA was 3.6 and 3.5 for those final 2 semesters. I went to a lesser college my freshmen year, got straight A's taking pre-med classes then transfered to a major university. Continued pre-med classes, finished with a 3.3 cumulative GPA for undergrad. Went on to do a post-bac program at Boston University, the MA in Medical Sciences program- first year of medical school classes with the med students. Got straight A's basically, 3.6 GPA. Took the MCAT three times total, 25/25/29 over maybe 4 years with the final time immediately after the post-bac program. Applied to only one school because I wanted to stay in Southern Cal so badly, going for the interview I felt like it was a shoe in. Was accepted. Learned my mistake. Started studying for USMLE step 1 an entire year in advance, ended up getting a 246 (99th percentile, and second highest score in my entire medical school class). Scored in the top 10% for all my USMLE steps, and specialty board certification exams. Now work as an assistant professor at a major academic medical center. At first the journey is daunting and you want to give up, but dont. The one lesson you need to learn is the high value of these standardized exams. If I could do it all over again, I might consider just intensive question bank study for the MCAT instead of doing that 1 year post-bac program and spending the money for that. They put so much value on those exams and if you can game the system and just do well on that, youre golden and end up saving money. These exams arent really that hard either, I know they seem just as daunting as the whole process, but if answer all the questions in the question bank 3 times, and hand write out the answer and the other explanations, you'll demolish the exam, trust me.

The system I used for all high stakes exams during med school and residency: I would answer the question bank three times total. Hand writing all the explanations (for even the wrong answer choices) on paper, each time writing less for every time you go through the bank. Eventually, after the third time through your notes are extremely high yield. Even before you start this process you figure out how many questions you need to answer per day to have 2 weeks free before the test. During that two weeks, you go through all your hand written notes from the third and final time through the question bank. You take notes on your notes, making a super high yield "cheat sheet". The final 2 days before your test, you re-read those last set of notes. If you do this, you'll be top 10% atleast for every exam you ever take. Trust me.

Here are some links for that post bac program and some other similar ones. I actually highly recommend this, you'll have a massive head start on everyone else in your medical class. You'll be able to not only dedicate more time to early STEP 1 studying, but you'll be generally more relaxed and finallly feel like things are easier and that "youre the smart one" finally. Check these out. Also- its a great experience if you welcome the change, you can have a great year and meet great friends in an awesome city such as Boston or DC.

Special Master's Program in Physiology | Georgetown University
MS in Medical Sciences Program | Graduate Medical Sciences
MA in Medical Sciences: Biology, Department of: Loyola University Chicago

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Are those graduate programs? Graduate GPA is viewed separately and does not factor into your undergrad cumulative and science GPA for amcas. Graduate GPA does factor into your undergrad cumulative GPA for aacomas but not science.

Edited:

Those programs aren't grad programs but they are intended for students who haven't taken a pre-med or pre-professional curriculum during their first degree.
Is UM the university of Miami?

UM is the University of Miami this would be the first year they start this program.

UM is the University of Miami this would be the first year they start this program.

Yes, I see but you graduated from undergrad with a degree in Biochemistry. So, more than likely, you have taken most if not all the pre-requisites for medical school. Below is a quote taken from the brochure of the post-bac program from UM.

"The pre-health postbaccalaureate program is designed for students who did not complete the classes required for admission by most health professional schools in their undergraduate curriculum. Our program is tailored for students with little or no science preparation..."

Unless you got the congressional medal of honor, no school is going to care about high school. The key is you have to show that you can handle a rigorous academic program. A masters/postbacc program associated with a medical school will go a long way. Don't waste your time doing one year online m.s. program. Take something truly challenging. I dont know what they have in Fl but in Ohio WSU and OSU both have rigorous anatomy programs with high rates of success getting people in schools. So doing programs like that will show people you can succeed academicly in med school. Also you do have to get that mcat over 500 and more volunteer hours will help. Your not in as bad of a situation as you think. Being bilingual and URM will help but even if you didnt have that you can still recover. With a bit more work i would say you have good shots at both MD (maybe not a top 20) and DO.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Th
Yes, I see but you graduated from undergrad with a degree in Biochemistry. So, more than likely, you have taken most if not all the pre-requisites for medical school. Below is a quote taken from the brochure of the post-bac program from UM.

"The pre-health postbaccalaureate program is designed for students who did not complete the classes required for admission by most health professional schools in their undergraduate curriculum. Our program is tailored for students with little or no science preparation..."

That’s the wrong program. This one is a masters with all graduate level sciences.

Unless you got the congressional medal of honor, no school is going to care about high school. The key is you have to show that you can handle a rigorous academic program. A masters/postbacc program associated with a medical school will go a long way. Don't waste your time doing one year online m.s. program. Take something truly challenging. I dont know what they have in Fl but in Ohio WSU and OSU both have rigorous anatomy programs with high rates of success getting people in schools. So doing programs like that will show people you can succeed academicly in med school. Also you do have to get that mcat over 500 and more volunteer hours will help. Your not in as bad of a situation as you think. Being bilingual and URM will help but even if you didnt have that you can still recover. With a bit more work i would say you have good shots at both MD (maybe not a top 20) and DO.

Neither of the two programs are online but thank you for the advice.

All I was trying to get across is that you need a program that will show you can handle a medical school course load not one that slightly pads your GPA. If you want info on specifics if a program ask the admissions staff, do more homework on the programs

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Honestly, not even sure about these metrics they're using but I think its a safe bet to assume the general scheme of things hasn't changed. I entered med school in 2009 at Western University/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. You can achieve anything you want as long as you are willing to work for it. My junior year of high school I had a cumulative 2.2 GPA. Starting my senior year of high school, my GPA was 3.6 and 3.5 for those final 2 semesters. I went to a lesser college my freshmen year, got straight A's taking pre-med classes then transfered to a major university. Continued pre-med classes, finished with a 3.3 cumulative GPA for undergrad. Went on to do a post-bac program at Boston University, the MA in Medical Sciences program- first year of medical school classes with the med students. Got straight A's basically, 3.6 GPA. Took the MCAT three times total, 25/25/29 over maybe 4 years with the final time immediately after the post-bac program. Applied to only one school because I wanted to stay in Southern Cal so badly, going for the interview I felt like it was a shoe in. Was accepted. Learned my mistake. Started studying for USMLE step 1 an entire year in advance, ended up getting a 246 (99th percentile, and second highest score in my entire medical school class). Scored in the top 10% for all my USMLE steps, and specialty board certification exams. Now work as an assistant professor at a major academic medical center. At first the journey is daunting and you want to give up, but dont. The one lesson you need to learn is the high value of these standardized exams. If I could do it all over again, I might consider just intensive question bank study for the MCAT instead of doing that 1 year post-bac program and spending the money for that. They put so much value on those exams and if you can game the system and just do well on that, youre golden and end up saving money. These exams arent really that hard either, I know they seem just as daunting as the whole process, but if answer all the questions in the question bank 3 times, and hand write out the answer and the other explanations, you'll demolish the exam, trust me.

The system I used for all high stakes exams during med school and residency: I would answer the question bank three times total. Hand writing all the explanations (for even the wrong answer choices) on paper, each time writing less for every time you go through the bank. Eventually, after the third time through your notes are extremely high yield. Even before you start this process you figure out how many questions you need to answer per day to have 2 weeks free before the test. During that two weeks, you go through all your hand written notes from the third and final time through the question bank. You take notes on your notes, making a super high yield "cheat sheet". The final 2 days before your test, you re-read those last set of notes. If you do this, you'll be top 10% atleast for every exam you ever take. Trust me.

Here are some links for that post bac program and some other similar ones. I actually highly recommend this, you'll have a massive head start on everyone else in your medical class. You'll be able to not only dedicate more time to early STEP 1 studying, but you'll be generally more relaxed and finallly feel like things are easier and that "youre the smart one" finally. Check these out. Also- its a great experience if you welcome the change, you can have a great year and meet great friends in an awesome city such as Boston or DC.

Special Master's Program in Physiology | Georgetown University
MS in Medical Sciences Program | Graduate Medical Sciences
MA in Medical Sciences: Biology, Department of: Loyola University Chicago

Let me know if you have any other questions.
This should be a sticky somewhere that is highly visible.
Motivation + dedication.

Reactions: 1 user