Advice for bringing up sGPA after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatOneDude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior in undergrad who has just recently decided to go for medical school, so I'm a little behind. I'm interested in MD and DO, and know I won't be applying for at least 2 or 3 years.

I actually have solid extra curriculars and volunteer experience that I can build upon, so I know right now my biggest barrier is my sGPA. Right now it's about a 2.9 with most of the science prereqs taken except orgo2. I'm in a major that isn't bio or chem so I won't have a lot of room to take any more science courses if I want to graduate on time, maybe one or two. So basically my options for bringing up my sGPA are limited, and it will be necessary to do something after graduation.

I've done a lot of reading on here and found some good information. I don't think a traditional post-bac program is right for me since I've taken most of the pre reqs already. I'm also aware that schools like UPenn have a pre health post-bac that offers upper level courses that would better fit me, but again I feel like my sGPA would be a barrier to that (at least at UPenn, not sure of any similar programs).

I've mostly been looking at smps, but feel like with my sgpa being< 3.0 I will find it hard to get into a good one.

So here's what I was thinking of doing and would appreciate feedback and advice.

I live in south NJ close to Philly. I was planning on (re)taking orgo 1 and 2 the summer after I graduate at Rutgers camden or Rowan because its super affordable. From there I was thinking about continuing there as a part time non matric student doing a sort of DIY post bac, taking 2 or 3 classes a semester while working and building up volunteer and shadow experience, classes like anatomy/phys, molecular bio, genetics etc. I haven't done the calculations yet but if I average a 3.7 with all these I might bring it up enough not to get auto filtered out at least. This path is cheap, convenient for me, but my only concern is that I don't think the Rutgers camden campus is as highly regarded so it might hurt me or be a waste of time. I could probably take them at Rutgers NB but I would probably have to commute the hour each way. Not sure which school would be best.

If I don't do this, I would be interested in smps at rutgers or other schools in pa/nj. I know temple has a good one but it is super competitive because it has a direct bridge with it's med school. I'm also not sure about the smp route because I've heard that this would count as graduate GPA, leaving my undergrad GPA still woefully inadequate.

So that's basically it, sorry this is kind of a ramble, but I would appreciate any advice regarding what path you think is best, and if I should look at any other smps in my area.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.