This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So Im currently in my first week Senior year at University. Before starting this semester I had plans on taking 15 credits this fall, allowing me to have enough time (20hr/week) to study for the MCAT. Now looking at my syllabus for my 4 courses (+one internship and 2 part time jobs (20hrs/week)) this plan IS UNREALISTIC without getting burned out. plus I'm a TA and president of a club etc. and most importantly I want to enjoy my Senior year. For the past 4 years everyone told me not to rush, and now its finally settling in... lol.

My question is should I aim for April 2017 MCAT? and apply that June when AAMC opens?
My main concern here is I would be sending out letters of recommendation requests in February, giving everyone 3 months to prepare excellent quality letters. If my MCAT score is crap, then I wont apply and would have wasted their time. And of course studying for the MCAT will take away time I could put into my courses in both the spring and fall.

Im considering maybe applying in 2018. giving my self more time to study and accumulate more clinical experience . But I really am slightly adamant on starting medical school in 2018! theres no reason behind this other than personal preference.

I want to apply when Im at my best. my GPA is good 3.85/3.9 depending on how this year goes (senioritis). I know with adequate time where I can pour my heart out and give it my absolute all, I can score around 515. Right now my practice test is at 503 w/o studying and this is barely competitive for MD.
So April 2017 or January 2017 or after graduation?!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

After graduation. Take a break (gap yr) before the tsunami that will be med school + residency (not saying that it'll be bad, just you won't get a real chance to just take a "nice" break till probably MS4 or so I hear)

Study for January. You have to be dilligent and use your winter break wisely. You can switch to April if you dont feel like you are ready, but you rather have the latter half of your senior year free than the first year if you wanna have fun

Letters of rec can be saved if you use Interfolio so you can keep the letters if you need to reapply.

After graduation. Take a break (gap yr) before the tsunami that will be med school + residency (not saying that it'll be bad, just you won't get a real chance to just take a "nice" break till probably MS4 or so I hear)
He is going to take a gap year regardless since he is applying next year at the soonest

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rush it, if you don't feel like you can be ready to take the MCAT in the spring then don't do it. Knowing that if you "pour your heart into it" you can score a 93+ percentile is great and all but be realistic about how much studying you need to do and if you can accomplish it in time.

Reactions: 1 user