advice for quitting scribe position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adawpb21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! This is more of a premed post but I just wanted advice from people who have gone through graduate and/or just medical school or are currently in the process.

So I’ve been thinking of quitting my scribe position for a few weeks now after working 2 months. I had sort of decided to apply to public health at the last minute in the application process after being accepted for scribing, and I honestly didn’t think I would get into a school! So this is totally unexpected. I originally said my end date would probably be in July before school starts. But for my grad program, lab research is a requirement and the department faculty recommended finding a lab before school started. I already found a lab that I can work for starting in May that will pay me full time for the summer (or I can start in the fall).

I feel really bad for leaving my providers so soon and for them to be with out a scribe for a while (because scribe America can’t find a replacement that fast). But since public health is only 2 years, I want to focus on school right now and take the position in May. (Also, I would be working in epidemiology so scribing is not related to my future career, although it’s a great and beneficial experience to have)

Sorry for the long post! Just hoping to get some advice on quitting so soon is okay? I know scribe America can’t stop me from quitting but I just want to do it professionally although I would be quitting only after 3 months. Because my leaving affects other people too- the doctors being without a scribe and the chief scribe/company having to find a replacement

Members don't see this ad.

Be polite, be professional, and give them two weeks' notice. Tell them your academic situation has changed in a way that requires you to end your employment, and thank them for providing you with a chance to scribe for them. You don't need to feel bad about the docs and company needing to find a replacement. That's just the way these things roll, and they'll handle their business just fine. You don't owe them in any way that's going to compromise your future; the courtesy of a two-week notice is sufficient. Congrats on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. Scribes rapidly turnover, since most are students. We expect it. Just don't burn any bridges by suddenly not showing up for shifts or something in case you end up changing your mind and wanting to come back or end up a physician there someday.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress - agree with above, be polite, it's not a big deal. I did kind of the same thing - was waitlisted at med schools, started scribing for ScribeAmerica in what I thought would be my gap year, then got accepted my 2nd week of scribing so I had to tell them I was leaving in a month. No issues, they get that this happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above! You're being very considerate, but a polite 2 week notice with a brief explanation is totally appropriate. I used to be an account manager for a scribe company and this happened often. I would usually fill in for the scribe myself or have a local scribe help out rather than leave the physicians in a bind while we quickly scrambled to find a replacement. ScribeAmerica will figure it out. Congrats on the acceptance!

Quit like you would quit with any job. Is this your first job? If so, give notice, be courteous and professional, and be on about your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: so I gave my chief scribe one month notice today but he still wants me to stay a little longer even if that means my scribing schedule has to be altered. And he tried to guilt me into feeling bad, saying the providers will likely not have a scribe for a while and that it makes things complicated for the company to find a replacement. But I have made up my mind to pursue the research position.