This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitkat416

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I graduated DS in 2016. Was on track for omfs. Long story short, an urgent and very difficult family matter that began during D3 ultimately brought me home for two years following graduation. Worked as a GP—love my patients, but obviously don’t love the work. It allowed me to be there for my family emotionally and financially during a difficult period of time. However, my goals have not changed— I want to be an oral surgeon. I’m sitting for the CBSE August 18th and planning an application for next year. (2018-2019).

Some basic info—went to P/F ivy DS. Took my first CBSSA from the NBME last weekend—scored a 60. That obviously needs to improve quite a bit over the next six months.

I’ve been in contact with programs regarding internship positions for next year. I understand that having been in private practice will not look good, and therefore an internship is one way to mitigate that. I also genuinely want to begin working in the omfs field as soon as possible. However, without a CBSE score in hand it’s difficult for programs to evaluate my candidacy, and I can certainly understand that. I am hoping for the best, and will continue to email / call / etc into the spring. Also, it probably goes without saying that the CBSE has consumed my life for the past few months and will continue to do so until Aug 18. Other than working, I’ve literally become a hermit.

If anyone has advice on applying as a general dentist, or just any advice at all, I would really appreciate it. Some specific concerns:

1. Can a general dentist match without having done an intern year, provided that externships have been completed?
2. If an internship does not work out, what would be the next best option? GPR? Research in omfs?
3. Is anyone aware of programs that will take general dentists as observational externs? Have been having issues with this, presumably because of liability concerns.

Thank you all so much—really appreciate any and all guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have to do an internship unless you have some other connections. 60 is good for having 6 more months. Get a 70 and with an internship you should have a good shot. There really is no viable alternative for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs will take externs who are practicing. I’d do as many externships as humanly possible and score well on the CBSE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs will take externs who are practicing. I’d do as many externships as humanly possible and score well on the CBSE.
What for? Establish relationships with attendings while on extenrahips?

You have to do an internship unless you have some other connections. 60 is good for having 6 more months. Get a 70 and with an internship you should have a good shot. There really is no viable alternative for you.

Thank you very much for the advice. Will do everything I can to get an internship—received great advice in a PM for late-registering for the Feb CBSE, am going to try to take it then to have a score for internship apps. My husband is going to be a resident in NYC for the next 7 years or so, which adds a geographical limitation for intern year options, as well as number of programs available to apply to (~18 options in and around metro-NYC). Will likely end up going through >1 app cycle to make this happen, and I am prepared for that.

To get to know programs and prove tat you’re interested it them.

Thank you for the advice! My husband is going to be a medical resident in NYC, so this anchors me a bit. He ranked in NYC to give me the largest number of omfs options for one metropolitan area. If I find externships at programs I can not attend, ie in other parts of the country, is it better to do as many of those as I can regardless? Or should I stick to NYC and use more time for CBSE?

Thank you for the advice! My husband is going to be a medical resident in NYC, so this anchors me a bit. He ranked in NYC to give me the largest number of omfs options for one metropolitan area. If I find externships at programs I can not attend, ie in other parts of the country, is it better to do as many of those as I can regardless? Or should I stick to NYC and use more time for CBSE?

I’d extern everywhere in the northeast and be open to being a little more regional.

I’d extern everywhere in the northeast and be open to being a little more regional.

Good advice. A tough pill to swallow, as I can’t imagine doing long distance marriage during residency for both partners. But definitely something I might have to reckon with.