This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizarddoc2213

I am Beyonce, always.
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a 511 MCAT score, 3.65 cumulative GPA (science GPA is 3.6). Biology major with a chemistry minor. Great liberal arts school for undergrad. I'm also a PA resident, but not necessarily looking to stay on the east coast.
I have over 1000 hr of direct clinical experience, as well as ~300 hours of volunteer work (both medical and non-medical). I also have research experience (clinical research and research in terms of an honors thesis).
I'm on the executive board for a few clubs, and was a teaching assistant too.

I do not have any medical professionals in my family, so I am just looking for advice on what "tier" schools I should start to look at... Thanks :) I'll take all the advice I can get!

Members don't see this ad.

I had very similar stats to you in terms of gpa, MCAT, and EC's and just got in this last cycle.

My suggestion is apply broad to private schools and all the schools in PA. 20 is a good number. Apply early.

I applied to 16 (More like 13 if you take out the HBC's and the state school I shouldn't have wasted my time applying to). I got two II's one acceptance and one hold right now. So if you apply to 20 schools private and PA schools you'll probably at least get a few II and more than likely an acceptance. No need to apply DO with your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I had very similar stats to you in terms of gpa, MCAT, and EC's and just got in this last cycle.

My suggestion is apply broad to private schools and all the schools in PA. 20 is a good number. Apply early.

I applied to 16 (More like 13 if you take out the HBC's and the state school I shouldn't have wasted my time applying to). I got two II's one acceptance and one hold right now. So if you apply to 20 schools private and PA schools you'll probably at least get a few II and more than likely an acceptance. No need to apply DO with your stats.
If you don't mind me asking, which schools outside of PA do you recommend applying to? Just so I have a general idea of what schools to look at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

U VM

USF Morsani (maybe)

UCF (maybe)

Duke (maybe)

Case (maybe)

Mayo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

USC/Keck

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Your state school(s).

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Hi everyone!

I have a 511 MCAT score, 3.65 cumulative GPA (science GPA is 3.6). Biology major with a chemistry minor. Great liberal arts school for undergrad. I'm also a PA resident, but not necessarily looking to stay on the east coast.
I have over 1000 hr of direct clinical experience, as well as ~300 hours of volunteer work (both medical and non-medical). I also have research experience (clinical research and research in terms of an honors thesis).
I'm on the executive board for a few clubs, and was a teaching assistant too.

I do not have any medical professionals in my family, so I am just looking for advice on what "tier" schools I should start to look at... Thanks :) I'll take all the advice I can get!

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest:

U VM

USF Morsani (maybe)

UCF (maybe)

Duke (maybe)

Case (maybe)

Mayo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

USC/Keck

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Your state school(s).

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Goro had them covered. Look at the MSAR, sort by private and then look at the lower gpa ones. Read how many OOS Applicants they interview and accept.

I suggest:

U VM

USF Morsani (maybe)

UCF (maybe)

Duke (maybe)

Case (maybe)

Mayo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

USC/Keck

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

Your state school(s).

Thanks! So essentially mid to middle upper tier schools?

@Goro In my opinion you are a bit too liberal with your suggestions of BU and USC. Even though in this case OP has somewhat of a good chance.