This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orangia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm a Vermont resident and applying out of state in all cases. I am trying to save some money on tuition and so i'm applying to a few school's that allow students to acquire IS tuition after a year.

Below is list is kind of meant to be an exhaustive list of good schools with a decent price and acceptance rate for OOS. I'm not really going to apply to all 19, but i'm just kind of thinking out loud here and hopefully anyone who reads can get something out of it and maybe pass on some helpful info. Anyways, I based all the numbers off of the 2017 ADEA guide to dental schools. I also included a couple helpful metrics on price and percentages of OOS vs IS applicants who get interviews. The prices I list are total costs including living and factor in transferring to in state tuition after D1 in the schools that offer that. If anyone sees anything they think is wrong feel free to correct me.

My stats:
DAT: 23AA 24TS 27PAT 19RC 21BIO 23QR 25OC 27GC
GPA: 3.42
around 100 hours volunteering in an endo office

List (no particular order)
Uconn (Offers instate after a year)
41is and 11% IS....
17/49 of class is oos

Temple
41%is and 9% oos applicants interviewed
58/129 of class is oos

Buffalo
10%IS and 34.5 OOS % applicants interviewed
10/90 of class is oos

Virginia Commonwealth
44%IS and 12%OOS
33/93 of class is oos

UCLA
(Offers instate after year)
15%IS and 2%OOS applicants interviewed

Rutgers (Offers instate after a year)
11.5oos and 38is % applicants interviewed
27/82 of class is oos

UCSF (offers instate after year)
16/90 enrolled are out of state, and there were 1k applicants for each oos and IS last cycle so chances seem decent.

University of the Pacific
6.3% OOS and 19% IS
23/134 of class is OOS

Ohio State University (offers instate after year)
325k 55%IS and 8%OOS applicants interviewed
12/110 are OOS

UNLV (Offers instate after year)
74%IS and 19% OOS applicants interviewed
44/75 of class is OOS

Marquette
50%IS and 15%OOS applicants interviewed
50/100 of class is OOS

Colorado
71%IS and 7.5%OOS applicants interviewed

University of Pittsburgh
oos applicants outnumber instate: 1585 to 232
36/73 of class is oos

Louisville
400k 55%IS 10% oos applicants interviewed
76/117 are oos

University of new England
76%is and 17% oos applicants interviewed
54/63 of class is oos

University of Michigan

27.5%IS and 10.5%OOS applicants interviewed
41/100 of class is OOS

University of Maryland
312k assuming instate after 2 years
72%IS and 15%os applicants interviewed
62/130 of class is oos

Columbia
19%oos and 16.5%IS applicants interviewed
56/80 of class is oos

Tufts
153/200 of class is OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would drop Marquette and Colorado, perhaps OHSU as well. Also I would consider adding in UPenn since they offer decent financial aid (if you're interested in the Ivy route).

How do your EC's look like?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would drop Marquette and Colorado, perhaps OHSU as well. Also I would consider adding in UPenn since they offer decent financial aid (if you're interested in the Ivy route).

How do your EC's look like?

EC's:
i spent 3 years on the college rowing team and i've been working in an animal neuroscience research lab on campus as a research assistant for 2 years.

I was considering adding UPENN but was worried about the price. I dropped OHSU when I found out they don't let you get instate tuition. Also, why drop colorado and marquette? do you have any specific reasons

Members don't see this ad :)
EC's:
i spent 3 years on the college rowing team and i've been working in an animal neuroscience research lab on campus as a research assistant for 2 years.

I was considering adding UPENN but was worried about the price. I dropped OHSU when I found out they don't let you get instate tuition. Also, why drop colorado and marquette? do you have any specific reasons

Great EC's! From what I've heard those two schools aren't as OOS friendly as the stats make them appear so I would trim the fat so to speak.

Applying to osu and getting in as an OOS is a long shot. Your DAT is well above there average, but your GPA is below there average, plus you're OOS makes it even harder. I'm an OOS myself and I've heard from them it'll be very difficult.

I've done a bit of research on OHSU and on the registrar's site you can find the following document:
"Ohio Student Residency for State Subsidy and tuition Surcharge Purposes"
The paragraph that seems most relevant state" Any person once classified as a non-resident, upon completion of twelve consecutive months of residency, must apply to the institution he or she attends for reclassification as a resident of Ohio for these purposes if such person in fact wants to be reclassified as a resident. Should such person present clear and convincing proof that no part of his or her financial support is or in the preceding twelve consecutive months has been provided directly or indirectly by persons or entities who are not residents of Ohio for all other legal purposes, such person shall be reclassified as a resident."

well i'll definitely be getting some help from my dad on tuition, OHSU is prolly out

Hey y'all so I refined my list.
Please let me know if you think i've got a good chance at being accepted this cycle if I apply to these schools out of state with the stats above..

Buffalo
Uconn
Columbia
Upenn
Temple
Marquette
Upitt
Michigan
Maryland (I'm going to call and ask about out of state students getting in state because I've heard mixed things)
UCSF
UNLV
VCU
BU
Tufts

Hey y'all so I refined my list.
Please let me know if you think i've got a good chance at being accepted this cycle if I apply to these schools out of state with the stats above..

Buffalo
Uconn
Columbia
Upenn
Temple
Marquette
Upitt
Michigan
Maryland (I'm going to call and ask about out of state students getting in state because I've heard mixed things)
UCSF
UNLV
VCU
BU
Tufts

sorry my comment was for med school, posted by mistake on pre-dental

Why tufts and BU? Those are expensive AF. I would drop in stony brook and Rutgers and remove tufts and bu.

With those stats you should get an interview with Marquette, just make sure your app is verified and sent before september

100 hours volunteering at an endo office...?
Is there any more to this? How many hours have you shadowed?
Most schools desire 100+ hours of shadowing and a certain amount must be done at a general dentist office.

Best of luck~

100 hours volunteering at an endo office...?
Is there any more to this? How many hours have you shadowed?
Most schools desire 100+ hours of shadowing and a certain amount must be done at a general dentist office.

Best of luck~
Dang! I've shadowed general dentists and a pediatrist for a grand total of about 20 hours but otherwise, yeah I only have 100 hours volunteering at the endo office as a chairside assistant. I didn't realize it mattered what type of dentist you shadowed/volunteered for.

Why tufts and BU? Those are expensive AF. I would drop in stony brook and Rutgers and remove tufts and bu.
I have heard that getting into stony brook is extremely difficult, and even more difficult out of state. I don't think i'll be adding that one. And I've heard Rutgers is in a miserable part of town with tons of crime. Not really down for that! Tufts and BU because they are close to home--I am from Vermont. Also because I would enjoy living in Boston.

Is Rutgers relatively OOS-friendly compared to other state schools?

Take out the California schools. Low OOS acceptance rates (especially state schools), and the private ones are ridiculously expensive and to not mention the extreme costs of living in these areas. Prolly should stick close to the east coast. Better chance of getting in and it's cheaper to move to these areas for you as well.

I have heard that getting into stony brook is extremely difficult, and even more difficult out of state. I don't think i'll be adding that one. And I've heard Rutgers is in a miserable part of town with tons of crime. Not really down for that! Tufts and BU because they are close to home--I am from Vermont. Also because I would enjoy living in Boston.

They hold a 400k price tag: Stony is 10% oos just like many of the schools you listed. Their class size is just small.

They hold a 400k price tag: Stony is 10% oos just like many of the schools you listed. Their class size is just small.
That's a good point. However, from what i've read stony brook doesn't allow oos to ever get in-state tuition. Is that true? If so, it'll be 400k just like BU.. although tufts is even higher.
Take out the California schools. Low OOS acceptance rates (especially state schools), and the private ones are ridiculously expensive and to not mention the extreme costs of living in these areas. Prolly should stick close to the east coast. Better chance of getting in and it's cheaper to move to these areas for you as well.
I hear you, I don't think i'll apply to UCLA because it seems extremely difficult for OOS. However I am kind of set on keeping UCSF considering that they have a class that's around 18% OOS and they get 1000 applicants from OOS and 1000 from IS every year. In light of that, my out of state chances aren't too bad there compared to other state schools.

That's a good point. However, from what i've read stony brook doesn't allow oos to ever get in-state tuition. Is that true? If so, it'll be 400k just like BU.. although tufts is even higher.

I hear you, I don't think i'll apply to UCLA because it seems extremely difficult for OOS. However I am kind of set on keeping UCSF considering that they have a class that's around 18% OOS and they get 1000 applicants from OOS and 1000 from IS every year. In light of that, my out of state chances aren't too bad there compared to other state schools.

Just letting you know that SF is one of these most expensive cities in the US. It is insane what the rents are there.