Advice on taking classes pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ultimattack2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an economics course that I might get a B in and rather than have that affecting my GPA, I'd rather just make the course pass/fail. It is non-major and non-premed. I also have credit for the class from highschool, I just wanted to take the class to learn some economics. Can anyone give me some advice?
 
I have taken a few courses Pass/Fail and it hasn't come up in any of my interviews. The courses I did P/F were courses I was interested in but wanted to take the class without having to worry about a specific letter grade (ie making an A)

I think if you have a good GPA and have had tough semesters where you did well, but also have some P/F classes it's not a big deal
 
I'm wondering about this topic. I know having to take the prerequisites for a letter grade is a given. Despite adcoms insisting that taking non-prerequisites pass/fail won't affect my application negatively, an advisor told me that adcoms in reality want to see everything taken for a grade. I was told that if I took any classes pass/fail that my options would be to ask for the actual grades to be uncovered on the transcript sent to AMCAS, or let adcoms assume that I got a C where I got a P…they would wonder "if you could have gotten a good grade, why did I not take it for a grade". How true is this?
 
I have an economics course that I might get a B in and rather than have that affecting my GPA, I'd rather just make the course pass/fail. It is non-major and non-premed. I also have credit for the class from highschool, I just wanted to take the class to learn some economics. Can anyone give me some advice?
Doesn't necessarily matter, protect the GPA.