Advice on the steps to take from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocoaleaf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, happy holidays! I'm looking for suggestions about how to give myself the best chance of getting into medical school.

I entered undergraduate study as a chemistry major with the intent of pursuing medicine, and the first semester I did well, but in the spring I experienced depression and failed every class. I subsequently switched majors to physics and immediately gave up on going to medical school, but forced my way through school never confronting my depression and my cumulative GPA suffered, it is 2.61. But I managed to graduate with a double BS in math and physics. I took the GRE after graduating with the intent to just continue on like I had been, but I finally put all my academic pursuits on hold and spent the past year and a half dealing with my issues, then traveling for nearly 8 months.

Recently getting home, I had been looking at Master's programs, considering what I wanted to do, and went to visit a friend of mine who has started medical school. Seeing the school and hearing about the program reminded me of my initial desire to be a doctor. And now I'm healthy, more mature, and have been doing research about what I need to do to get into med school. I know it's an incredible amount of work, and it will take time and money, but I'm willing to make those sacrifices.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is if it's even realistic at all. To lay out how far my application needs to come, I have no shadowing or volunteering experience. I did work research jobs nearly all my time at university, with 2 years being in public health and microbiology. After graduation though, I worked an entry-level job with no relevance to my field or the sciences while I focused on making myself healthy, then I worked abroad for nearly a year in similar roles. My GPA is 2.61, with so many credits that it is very difficult for me to raise it anywhere near an acceptable level. I had a minor swing in my grades towards the end, with my average GPA of the last two years being maybe 3.0, but there are still failed courses during that time too, not in my major or in the sciences though. My full degree is a double BS in mathematics and physics, a minor in philosophy, and a certificate in writing. I still need to take several med school prerequisites. I took Biology 1 and Chem 1 and 2 for college credit while in high school with grades of B, C and C+, and I'm not sure if they count or if I want to keep those grades, but if so I still need Organic Chem 1 and 2, Bio 2, Biochem, and maybe a statistics course if none of my other math/physics courses could count. I plan on taking these courses at a local university as a non-degree seeking student, maybe squeezing organic chemistry into the summer and completing all these prerequisites by next winter. I also think if I get anything less than an A- on any of these courses I would just stop, it seems like my margin for error is too slim. Then it seems like a post-bacc or SMP would be my best bet to bridge the gap between my undergraduate performance. But it looks like my GPA isn't good enough to get me into a lot of those programs. Through all this as well, I'd need to be shadowing and volunteering to make up for that deficiency in my application as well. I'd also need to absolutely crush the MCAT for me to have any hope at any of this, and I can't take it until I've already committed pretty far down this timeline.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced in my ability to perform academically now. I took two graduate courses online this past fall, and while they weren't science-related, I got A's in both of them. I've never felt better or more motivated. I'm also relatively confident in my ability to study for and do well on the MCAT. It's probably not comparable in difficulty, but I did well on the GRE.

I think I've got a pretty realistic idea of the effort and time I'll need to put in, it must be at least 3 years, maybe 5 or more, until I'd be starting medical school. But I don't know if I'm being unrealistic by even trying, and I don't know the right steps to take. Because I do have a very strong GRE (still with that weak GPA), would it be better to try to use that to get a Master's degree, while I could maybe pick up the undergrad prerequisites for med school and use a Master's to help me get in? Would I need to just keep taking classes at the local university until my GPA finally gets somewhere decent enough to get me in the better post-baccs/SMPs? Am I completely out of my mind to even consider this?

This got pretty long so thank you for reading and I really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Every class you have ever taken(even the college courses you took in HS) count towards your GPA. Search this forum for @Goro’s Guide for students who need reinvention. It has a wealth of information that should help you make a decision. And only you can make this decision.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
If you havn't already I recommend reading the link lumya posted.
It will take time and money but if it's what you want to do it can be done. Keeping an open mind about DO and MD, is probably best.
- I would first before putting time and money into it shadow a doctor and volunteer with those less fortunate than you in some capacity. These experiences will help confirm if this is what you really want to do.
-You will also need clinical and non-clinical experience so maybe start looking into experiences that interest you in both areas. Volunteering at hospitals, schools, with the homeless, nursing tutoring kids, camps for kids with chronic illnesses, Ronald McDonald House, Soup Kitchen's, working with people with disabilities, the YMCA, etc. Doing Things that you are passionate about and ideally working with others, interacting with them.
-Like suggested in the post above you can do a "DIY post-bac," as for if you should do that or then jump to a SMP I think a lot of that is up to you, though I am not an expert by any means. My understanding is the master's will not be as helpful as either of these options.
-I would once you make up your mind that you are doing this, start balancing EC's so you can continue them long term, and look for leadership roles. That can be tutoring, leading something at a volunteer opportunity or community center, being part of a club, etc. Balancing this with classes and your EC's and work if you have to is important.
-Also making sure you can ace all of those pre-req classes, and taking other classes suggested in the post above. Once you proved you can do well in these courses and you feel you have a good understanding get prepared to ace the mcat, but do not take it until you are absolutely sure you can ace it the first go. Med schools can see all of your mcat scores, and with your weak gpa you will need to should you can pass these kinds of exams.
- Additionally if you havn't read it Goro's guide to applying to med school (2018 version)
it's an amazing summary of what you need to know before you apply.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sure you’re young enough to fix it. But it will need a lot of fixing. Everything you’ve done so far indicates that you’ve just been aimless and drifting. Traveling for 8 MONTHS after college? I’d suggest getting full time employment as that tends to get young adults on track

With a solid 2 year SMP or DIY post-bacc (Solid meaning As and A- predominantly with overall post-bacc GPA never dipping below 3.5-3.6, preferably 3.8...) and jumping right in to a long term clinical volunteering gig and a separate long term non-clinical volunteering gig and shadowing primary care for a week and a few specialties of you can, then you would be back on track for consideration at most low tier MD schools and many, if not all, DO schools. The final necessitation would be getting >508 MCAT for DO and >512 MCAT for MD.

Also, read Goro’s guide as the others have pointed out.

Sure you’re young enough to fix it. But it will need a lot of fixing. Everything you’ve done so far indicates that you’ve just been aimless and drifting. Traveling for 8 MONTHS after college? I’d suggest getting full time employment as that tends to get young adults on track
100000% agree with my learned colleague. While a clinical job, like phlebotomy, would be ideal, even a service industry job will both look good and do you well.

I'm going to suggest shadowing first to make sure you'd even like being a physician -- seriously. If your real world 'entry-level' job was in the service industry, that will help. If not, seek such employment now as well as volunteering opportunities.

Then I'd go for an SMP. There are some programs geared for non-science majors that essentially cover all of the prerequisites in two years and would prepare you very thoroughly for the MCAT. With your science background, you should be able to perform very well in such a program -- but as has been noted, you'll absolutely need to.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone, I really appreciate it!

I'm encouraged by what I've read, and I've been formulating a plan all morning. I agree with the sentiment that I need more personal experience with the medical profession, as well as more professional experience in general. This is in the preliminary stages for me, and there will be multiple stages where I will have to reassess my desire and commitment. Reading everyone's posts made me realize I actually have no idea if this is something I really want to do, and these feelings I have now are the residuals of an outlook from a starry-eyed 18 year old.

That being said, I'm leaning towards an immediate plan to enroll in Biology 2 at my local university, maybe one more science course to start working on my GPA. The deadline for this spring is too soon to make an informed decision now, and I think it will be helpful to test the waters academically. I will also shadow physicians throughout this semester, and explore if this is something I actually want to do. I believe I have a connection for volunteer work at a hospital as well, and I will pursue that to get a fuller picture for myself. If I realize I don't like the field, I still intend on grad school, and any coursework to boost my GPA would be helpful there anyway. And if I do like it, I'll press on and take organic chemistry 1 and 2 over the summer. I see these as being the biggest obstacles for this year, and my performance in these classes would determine if I should commit the next year or two after to a post-bacc/SMP.

Another realization I have after reading the replies is I should be conscious and deliberate with where I work in the meantime. I graduated university with the intent of remaining in academia. After choosing to put that on hold, I left my research position at a physics lab, as the position was given to me by my professor with the intention to serve as a stepping stone for a research-based master's program. Frankly, since then, I have worked essentially the same jobs I did in high school. Especially in reading the responses from @atomi @Goro and @DokterMom I realize this needs to change. I think I will try to work at the local university, if possible in my own field of physics. I also have experience in a microbiology lab. It was a long time ago and I mostly just maintained the lab equipment and performed basic preparation work for a graduate research team, but I think a lab position like that if possible would be more relevant towards a med school application. Or if there's other suggestions I'd love to hear them, I saw phlebotomist mentioned, and in searching I also found medical scribe would give me clinic hours and a great way to see the medical profession up close. Career path is definitely something I need to explore on my own and something I realize now I've hidden from with the intent of just returning to school. So again any suggestions relating to that would be more than welcome.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read and help me out, I appreciate it more than I can say. It's a lot to think about and you're all helping make it clearer in my mind.