Advice wanted!!! MS4 applying to ObGyn, hoping for Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayce24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You probably want to hit up the specialty-specific board.

...and just make sure you apply to UIC, Loyola, Rush, whatever community programs are out there, etc.

are you a dude? because that can help a lot

ditto you're lucky Chicago area has so many community programs

remember, there are places in neighboring states that a reasonable drive if you have to do long distance, like Indiana or Wisconsin, so do some google mapping

also remember Catholic/other religious affiliated institutions can have policies that can affect your educational experience

I don't know how competitive ob/gyn that 226 hurts you, but I will say the positive is that it is an overall average score and not below average at least
I imagine there are ob/gyn matches with that number, but of course the whole app and the competitiveness of the program will play a big part

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately (?) I am a girl haha. Does that hurt me?? And yes I know that I should consider the geography surrounding Chicago and am planning to do that too but I would rather stay in a city as I have done undergrad and Med school in a large city and like the feel of being in a city not a suburb

it doesn't hurt merely doesn't help like it would if you were a dude

if you're worried your step score isn't up to snuff, and it might not be, I think of ERAS as the best opportunity you'll ever have to suck it up and swallow your pride

city vs suburb is gonna be the least of your problems if you're "lucky" enough to match to ob/gyn

priorities:
1) matching to your specialty of choice, even if it's literally in Hell or Alaska
2) the program and the people in it, itself
3) location

Location matters very little because you are gonna be in the hospital 90% of your waking hours. I even found a super cool jazz bar to pass the weekend in Oklahoma City.

Even if I send you to a suburb for ob/gyn, there will be something enjoyable to do for 3 hrs that can almost make you forget it's a suburb for that short a time you are free of the hospital.

Plus, I think it's better to go somewhere cheap and boring than go somewhere to spend a ton of money to live and watch all the fun stuff pass you by weekend after weekend.

I preferred Madison and Milwaukee to Chicago, FWIW, and the commute to Chicago for special events/weekend isn't bad.

Reactions: 1 user