This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling super anxious and would love any advice.

I'm currently a third year undergraduate student with a 3.12 GPA. I know that's fairly low and I'm afraid my science GPA might be even lower. I haven't taken the DAT yet, and I'm not sure when would be the best time to take it. I was also considering Post-Bacc programs to enhance my application.

I have shadowing and clinical experiences, along with leadership positions so I'm not worried about my EC. I received a C in one upper level biology course and organic chemistry, and ever since I've been feeling discouraged. Would it help to retake those courses and improve, or take higher division courses and do well? Would staying another year to improve my GPA help, or should I just apply for a post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

Take higher division courses, do well, and raise your GPA (whether that is with an extra year of classes, a post-bac, etc. doesn't really matter). If you're currently a third year student you have at least another year of classes to pull your GPA up which can help significantly. Do well on the DAT (I recommend taking it over the summer when you can set aside time to study, but if you want to apply in the 2018 cycle you may want to start a bit earlier) and your chances of admission will be fine. If you wait an additional year to apply (end of fourth year instead of end of third year) that will be two years of coursework to raise your GPA which can have a significant impact. I wouldn't worry about a post-bac just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
At least you did better than me :), I had like 2.8 after my 4th year, but got myself tgt and killed the final 2 years, yes it took me 6 years to finish my undergrad lol. The upward trends helped a lot as it came up during my interview, so just kill your remaining years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post bac or a masters is your best bet. You gotta kill it in either of those program.

I was in your position with a lower GPA my 3rd year of school. I tanked my freshman year and received C's in both bio 1 and 2, but did really well my last 2 years and on the DAT. I got a 26 in bio on the DAT (thanks @FeralisExtremum), to compensate for the C's so I'd recommend killing the orgo part of it in your case. I'm not the type of person to beat around the bush, so basically if you're serious about dental school grind these last 2 years and make all A's or close to it. Take the upper level courses and do well. I'm applying this cycle and took my DAT after my senior year so I'm taking a gap year, I think since your GPA not extremely low that if you do well junior year that you might be able to take your DAT over the summer and if you kick ass in it then I'd apply. You're in a solid place so don't worry, I received 3 interviews this cycle so far so you got this. I know it's easier said than done, but what motivated me the last two years was the thought of spending 1-2 more years in a post-bacc or master's program lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just a pre dental student that has talked to a lot of pre dental students and done research on applying so take my advice when a grain of salt. I would strive obviously to take upper level science courses and get all A's in them. The DAT will be huge for you to show that you can handle the rigor of dental school, so with your lower on the spectrum GPA I would strive to kill the DAT (23+). If your GPA is still not what you want at the end of graduation, Post bac may be your friend as someone mentioned before. I feel as if I have heard of a lot of students with below avg GPA for acceptance do a post bac program and do extremely well in it and get accepted. Good luck!