After the crisis is over...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking ahead a few months after this crisis has passed. What will change permanently?

Shaking hands might be a thing of the past at this point. I think a lot of people will be more protective of their "personal space" for quite a while.

How long will we be wearing masks in public?

How long will we use N95 masks in the OR as a matter of routine?

Once it arrives - how long will we continue to do rapid testing of OR patients prior to elective surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Shaking hands might be a thing of the past at this point

1FCC8318-212F-48E7-9E21-EAACFAE2F8B0.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 30 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone with almost Adrian Monk levels of personal space issues, this is a Godsend.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm more concerned about online dating - can I safely go back to getting ignored by all the ladies??

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you describe as the "crisis." Using certain parameters, the crisis really only passes when an effective vaccine is created and distributed or when a significant percentage of the population is infected/immune.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
So your question is: will people get better at confinement once confinement is over?

Depends on what you describe as the "crisis." Using certain parameters, the crisis really only passes when an effective vaccine is created and distributed or when a significant percentage of the population is infected/immune.
Until we have a vaccine every patient is a potential source of infection and every personal contact has risks

I, for one, will go back to shaking hands. And hugs.

Call be ridiculous or old fashioned but patients ( and people in general) feel more connected and taken seriously with physical touch. Currently I feel (and patients have expressed as much) far too informal, overbearing and dehumanized. I’m literally standing over people and talking down to them with a mask on. I prefer to sit and talk on their level,especially for long and difficult conversations.

That’s my stance, at least. I hand sanitizer between each patient anyway and wash hands in between cases.

Reactions: 5 users
Also - beyond just shaking hands. I think of other measures taken right now with regards to visitors. A woman shouldn’t have to deliver her first child alone with no partner or support. An elderly man shouldn’t have to die alone and a family not be able to say goodbye without a real, in-person embrace. A child shouldn’t have to be hospitalized without his or her parents around.

I understand, in some respects, these changes are needed to mitigate virus spread and help protect healthcare workers. But the above examples should NOT be carried forward.

I, for one, will go back to shaking hands. And hugs.

Call be ridiculous or old fashioned but patients ( and people in general) feel more connected and taken seriously with physical touch. Currently I feel (and patients have expressed as much) far too informal, overbearing and dehumanized. I’m literally standing over people and talking down to them with a mask on. I prefer to sit and talk on their level,especially for long and difficult conversations.

That’s my stance, at least. I hand sanitizer between each patient anyway and wash hands in between cases.
It's not "old-fashioned". It's evidence-based, as far as I remember.

A lot of truly good medicine may seem "old-fashioned" to the inexperienced.

Am I the only one enjoying not having family around? Good riddance!

while it sucks for the patient, I've spent enough times in preop holding trying to butt into the 8 person conversation and prayer circle trying to do a preop evaluation that I am enjoying the peace and solitude of just me and the patient for once.

Reactions: 9 users
Everyone's an RSI or spinal, **** regional, **** consults up on the stinky wards, surgeons are everyone's bitch.

I define code status. This is not McDonald's

Everyone's an RSI or spinal, **** regional, **** consults up on the stinky wards, surgeons are everyone's bitch.

I define code status. This is not McDonald's

Just a reminder to everyone, Don’t drink and post.

• Haha
Just a reminder to everyone, Don’t drink and post.
I'm almost out. I've drank the table wine, the mini shots, the sherry for baking. The beer whiskey rum gin is gone since Thursday

The weed should arrive Tuesday so we're ok then. Might be some really ****ed up posts then. He'll I might even agree with @FFP then lol

• Haha
I'm almost out. I've drank the table wine, the mini shots, the sherry for baking. The beer whiskey rum gin is gone since Thursday

The weed should arrive Tuesday so we're ok then. Might be some really ****ed up posts then. He'll I might even agree with @FFP then lol

F07F8EF9-B887-4F9C-82AE-F7A30FFE1F93.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
It's not "old-fashioned". It's evidence-based, as far as I remember.

A lot of truly good medicine may seem "old-fashioned" to the inexperienced.
I’ll admit I’m reasonably new at this, but I started to reframe the term ‘old-fashioned’ or ‘old-school’, as the Classical method. There is a reason these methods stuck around, they’re classics.

I’ll admit I’m reasonably new at this, but I started to reframe the term ‘old-fashioned’ or ‘old-school’, as the Classical method. There is a reason these methods stuck around, they’re classics.
In the "old days" being a doctor meant being a fatherly (or motherly) figure and a mentor, it meant connecting with patients beyond just spewing hard cold medical information that scare the hell out of them then walk away.
We shook hands, we smiled, we examined them with our bare hands, we even some times lied to them to make them feel better.
That's what old fashion medicine was about.

• Love