ALASKA Million Dollar Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legrita

New Mommy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Has anyone heard of this? $1million for 3 years of commitment as a pharmacist in Alaska? If so, please do share.

Members don't see this ad.

Alaska isn't Siberia

Thats when they fire you after 2 years and 11 months at the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've looked into it. It's $1 million for 4 years and it's in the Northernish part of the state. Isolated, cold, dark. The nearest airport is something like an 8 hour drive. I would need more than that to agree to do it.

I've looked into it. It's $1 million for 4 years and it's in the Northernish part of the state. Isolated, cold, dark. The nearest airport is something like an 8 hour drive. I would need more than that to agree to do it.

Really? Ive heard this many times throughout school, but no one could ever offer any more info on the subject besides, "Alaska and a 1 million dollar contract."

Do you know what company its with?

It's one of those pharmacist recruiting things. That alone should scare you off. I looked into it like 3 years ago via google. I just read the job description and location. It's basically serving a bunch of Eskimo tribes. But the location...it's not even BFE. It's 5 hours from BFE.

It's one of those pharmacist recruiting things. That alone should scare you off. I looked into it like 3 years ago via google. I just read the job description and location. It's basically serving a bunch of Eskimo tribes. But the location...it's not even BFE. It's 5 hours from BFE.

I couldn't find it in google. Could you provide a link? $1 mill for 4 yrs and I never have to work again?!?!? :) the SO and I do look very cute in our winter coats :)

Another version of the 'myth' is $150k-200k a year and you get all of your student loans paid for, in return for 2 years of working up there. Every story I've heard about this kind of job comes second hand... so I'm starting to doubt it's even real.

Exactly. In addition, I've heard recruiters would also like you to have certification in shamanism, otherwise native eskimos would just spill your pills out.

Ive never seen the job posted, but Im sure its way past BFE.. Probably have to have supplies flown in by helicopter, generators for power, and obv no such thing as cableTV.. MAYBE satellite for TV/internet.

$250k/yr for 4 years sounds nice, but if you have to have a gallon of milk flown in from 2hrs away... Im sure cost of living is pretty high:D

Ive never seen the job posted, but Im sure its way past BFE.. Probably have to have supplies flown in by helicopter, generators for power, and obv no such thing as cableTV.. MAYBE satellite for TV/internet.

$250k/yr for 4 years sounds nice, but if you have to have a gallon of milk flown in from 2hrs away... Im sure cost of living is pretty high:D

You could always milk reindeers.

Members don't see this ad :)
the rumors seem optimistic..here's one that I found on google ....yes it is a bit dated...

http://www.rx.uga.edu/main/home/httpd/html/alumni/jobops.htm

Alaska Pharmacist Positions
Posted 5/17/06. This village in Alaska is located in a very remote area with access only by boat or air. Wonderful patient community who appreciate their providers with warmth and hospitality. Exceptional salary and benefits program. Ideal for those who love living in "the bush." This is a hunter's and fisherman's paradise surrounded by wilderness.
There are options for both staff inpatient and outpatient positions.
Job requirements include Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy, eligibility for Alaska licensure.
Sign-on bonus of $7500 after 90 days, $10,000 after 2 years, and 12,500 after 3 years. They offer a substantial relocation allowance. Salary range is $57.00-$67.00 per hour.
For further information, please contact:
Barbara Estes, President
Advanced Recruiting Techniques
Tel. 800-579-5201
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 866-837-1285
Web: www.advancedrecruiting.org

the rumors seem optimistic..here's one that I found on google ....yes it is a bit dated...

http://www.rx.uga.edu/main/home/httpd/html/alumni/jobops.htm

Alaska Pharmacist Positions
Posted 5/17/06. This village in Alaska is located in a very remote area with access only by boat or air. Wonderful patient community who appreciate their providers with warmth and hospitality. Exceptional salary and benefits program. Ideal for those who love living in "the bush." This is a hunter's and fisherman's paradise surrounded by wilderness.
There are options for both staff inpatient and outpatient positions.
Job requirements include Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy, eligibility for Alaska licensure.
Sign-on bonus of $7500 after 90 days, $10,000 after 2 years, and 12,500 after 3 years. They offer a substantial relocation allowance. Salary range is $57.00-$67.00 per hour.
For further information, please contact:
Barbara Estes, President
Advanced Recruiting Techniques
Tel. 800-579-5201
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 866-837-1285
Web: www.advancedrecruiting.org

Thanks! there's still hope for gaba101 to retire by age 28 and live like a millionaire! ;)

They have this telepharmacy thing going on up there that basically makes having a $200,000 pharmacist a thing of the past at best. A small network of pharmacists cover a 2000 mile radius electronically. It's bloody magical.

Last edited:
I couldn't find it in google. Could you provide a link? $1 mill for 4 yrs and I never have to work again?!?!? :) the SO and I do look very cute in our winter coats :)

Never have to work again?!

A million doesnt go that far!

Never have to work again?!

A million doesnt go that far!

Yeah...a million dollars isn't THAT much money. You need at least a few million to never work again.

Yeah...a million dollars isn't THAT much money. You need at least a few million to never work again.

Truly.

I was just working with a doc today who makes close to 7 figs. He cant just retire tomorrow.

Houses, cars, wife, kids

All cost money

I guess it depends on the quality of life you are planning to live..

Many people will never make $1million

but you have to remember, our middle class is very rich compared to other nations

And there is always interests to add.. any good financial adviser should be able to get you a 10% ROI.. thats 100k/yr...

Im just saying $1million is a pretty good chunk of change... its not going to buy you a yacht or private jet, but you should be able to get by.

Truly.

I was just working with a doc today who makes close to 7 figs. He cant just retire tomorrow.

Houses, cars, wife, kids

All cost money

Everything costs money. If you had no bills, no family, no car, nothing...then you could live off 1 million. But then again, I'd probably blow it on shoes anyway.

If you are middle class, you will make 1 mil easy

think about it...50K * 20 years

I think he meant lower-middle to lower class, which is actually quite a large portion of people. 10k* 20 years...That's barely 6 figures total. So yeah, it definitely depends on the quality of life you live. If you get a million dollars over the course of 4 years, I suspect you will not live like you always have, but will want to indulge. And once you do, your standard of living goes up and there's no going back. =/

Everything costs money. If you had no bills, no family, no car, nothing...then you could live off 1 million. But then again, I'd probably blow it on shoes anyway.

For how long?

What quality of life?

After taxes you need to really stretch that money.

This is just a stupid remark. Not knowing any Innuit does not make it ok to say things like that.:thumbdown: .

Screw your self-righteous sensibilities. I don't see you sticking up for the reindeer or cats.

Completely Agree

You too. At least I didn't call them nappy headed.

you can milk anything with nipples.

Don't tempt me

Very true - And it's spelled Inuit!

It can be spelled both ways. INNUIT!

I could open some profitable businesses around here for a lot less than $1 million. I could make it last a long time.

Enough with the P.F. Changs :laugh:

**** PF Changs, their franchise fee is through he roof. I'd open a Dunkin Donuts by the Health Sciences Center. The nearest donut shop is this little independent bakery called Rays that's 10 miles away.

How sad....not only are u wrong for what you said but if you can't retract your more than stupid statement at least don't come remind everybody of your obvious ignorance..you just don't know how stupid you sound right now...:laugh:

Imus was wrong....you are wrong...wrong+ wrong not equal to right.

Screw your self-righteous sensibilities. I don't see you sticking up for the reindeer or cats.

You too. At least I didn't call them nappy headed.

Don't tempt me

It can be spelled both ways. INNUIT!

Enough with the P.F. Changs :laugh:

How sad....not only are u wrong for what you said but if you can't retract your more than stupid statement at least don't come remind everybody of your obvious ignorance..you just don't know how stupid you sound right now...:laugh:

Imus was wrong....you are wrong...wrong+ wrong not equal to right.

The problem is that you need to extricate the industrial sized broom handle from your rectum and learn to spot a tasteless joke. I'm not going to retract a damn thing. Learn to communicate in complete sentences and then return to berate me for my ignorance.

**** PF Changs, their franchise fee is through he roof. I'd open a Dunkin Donuts by the Health Sciences Center. The nearest donut shop is this little independent bakery called Rays that's 10 miles away.

Would you serve coffee flavored coffee?

There's a Dunkin Donuts in the Polk St. CTA station. The station is right next to UIC COP and is in the Illinois Medical District. You should see the line for it. It is a very busy and profitable store.

Nah! I'm inventing a Rx ATM. I could tell you the rest, but I would have to kill you.

but you have to remember, our middle class is very rich compared to other nations

And there is always interests to add.. any good financial adviser should be able to get you a 10% ROI.. thats 100k/yr...

Im just saying $1million is a pretty good chunk of change... its not going to buy you a yacht or private jet, but you should be able to get by.

10% a year... having had investments and a financial adviser for few years the odds of making 10% on all of your investments every year isn't realistic. Not to mention to get those sort of earnings you'd probably have to do some higher risk investments where you'd be just as likely to lose what you invest.

10% a year... having had investments and a financial adviser for few years the odds of making 10% on all of your investments every year isn't realistic. Not to mention to get those sort of earnings you'd probably have to do some higher risk investments where you'd be just as likely to lose what you invest.

I think people like to pull numbers out of thin air sometimes to prove a point. More realistic is probably 6-7%. and that's a good return too. 10% over a long period was possible probably during the mid-late 80's but in recent years, not even close.

And a MILLION would get taxed ~ 1/3, but then you can live "cheaply" and retire off that. But then again, you wouldn't be wealthy because you'd live cheaply! And you wouldn't be wealthy because you'd probably just rent a cheap apt, take the bus, eat ramen at home, and watch non-cable tv.

So it'd be great being a millionaire but have no assests. But hey, you could retire early! :)

And these days, you'd probably want to have at least $1-2 million LIQUID (after paying off mortgage, loans, cars, etc) to comfortably retire at any age, and enjoy it!

ForcedEntry said:
Nah! I'm inventing a Rx ATM. I could tell you the rest, but I would have to kill you.

Hmm...Let me guess.

"Please enter your ailment." Pain.

"Please enter the extent to which you want it cured." Severely

"Please remove your Vicodin from the receptacle, and have a nice day."

I think people like to pull numbers out of thin air sometimes to prove a point. More realistic is probably 6-7%. and that's a good return too. 10% over a long period was possible probably during the mid-late 80's but in recent years, not even close.

And a MILLION would get taxed ~ 1/3, but then you can live "cheaply" and retire off that. But then again, you wouldn't be wealthy because you'd live cheaply! And you wouldn't be wealthy because you'd probably just rent a cheap apt, take the bus, eat ramen at home, and watch non-cable tv.

So it'd be great being a millionaire but have no assests. But hey, you could retire early! :)

And these days, you'd probably want to have at least $1-2 million LIQUID (after paying off mortgage, loans, cars, etc) to comfortably retire at any age, and enjoy it!

How much money you need socked away to live "comfortably" is going to be very dependent on personal lifestyle and location. I'm sure a socialite IB living in Chelsea couldn't imagine getting by on than $1 million per year. If you happen to be living in Broken Boot Montana, your expenses might be significantly less.

If you have 1 million in investments you could certainly live a middle class existence, even without working part-time. If you have $1 million in a Real Estate Investment Trust (the avg. REIT has beaten the stock market for the last 15y, returning around 12% per year), and your investment income is taxed at 9% (since REIT earnings are dispersed as dividents) and say your interest rate was 8%, you would be making $73600 AFTER taxes and before deductions. If you are working as a full-time pharmacist and making $100k/year, after taxes (38% tax bracket) you will end up with $62,000. Now, you are certainly not guaranteed an 8% return every year, but if you are a pharmacist you can easily work a couple days a week and make enough supplemental income to more than fill in the gaps. Either way you are still going to be bringing in significantly more money than the chump actually WORKING for a living.

Side note: I'd never suggest to anyone that they solely invest in REIT's, but that should be a part of a well balanced portfolio that isn't over exposed to any one sector. Long term capital gains and divident income will still be taxed significantly less than earned income.

How much money you need socked away to live "comfortably" is going to be very dependent on personal lifestyle and location. I'm sure a socialite IB living in Chelsea couldn't imagine getting by on than $1 million per year. If you happen to be living in Broken Boot Montana, your expenses might be significantly less.

If you have 1 million in investments you could certainly live a middle class existence, even without working part-time. If you have $1 million in a Real Estate Investment Trust (the avg. REIT has beaten the stock market for the last 15y, returning around 12% per year), and your investment income is taxed at 9% (since REIT earnings are dispersed as dividents) and say your interest rate was 8%, you would be making $73600 AFTER taxes and before deductions. If you are working as a full-time pharmacist and making $100k/year, after taxes (38% tax bracket) you will end up with $62,000. Now, you are certainly not guaranteed an 8% return every year, but if you are a pharmacist you can easily work a couple days a week and make enough supplemental income to more than fill in the gaps. Either way you are still going to be bringing in significantly more money than the chump actually WORKING for a living.

Side note: I'd never suggest to anyone that they solely invest in REIT's, but that should be a part of a well balanced portfolio that isn't over exposed to any one sector. Long term capital gains and divident income will still be taxed significantly less than earned income.

Sweet! I'm going to quit after making my first million. :D

wow we came full circle.

The problem is that you need to extricate the industrial sized broom handle from your rectum and learn to spot a tasteless joke. I'm not going to retract a damn thing. Learn to communicate in complete sentences and then return to berate me for my ignorance.

I will extricate the industrial sized broom handle from my rectum and stick it into yours. I will be willing to do so if I was convinced that will make you write one short sentence " yes it was a tasteless, not "culturally" sensitive, stupid joke.

Deal? if you say yes..bend over (get some pain killer)..the broom is coming...:laugh: