Allopathic couples match EM/IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ialsolovelamp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My s/o and I are MSIIIs in DO programs planning to couples match via ACGME. I'm planning on shooting for EM, and my s/o is planning on IM. We're thinking ACGME for a couple of reasons:

1) Locations available
2) Potentially 3 vs 4 year program for EM
3) Better ability to get IM fellowships
4) Uncertainty about DO/MD match merger

We're in the process of figuring out which programs to apply to and/or where to do away rotations, we'd like to stick t0 Florida, Texas, AZ, or Cali, but understand that may not be as realistic as we'd like as we're both in DO programs. We're doing our best to locate DO-friendly programs, but finding it more difficult than expected. (Many don't list stats on FREIDA, we don't really know what to classify as "DO friendly." E.g. Is 1 DO/72 residents worth an application for either of us, or should we only classify programs with >5% DOs--or some other arbitrary number--as DO friendly?) We are willing to go to/apply to wherever necessary for this. Are there any specific programs/locations (mostly ER), we should be looking into?

Stats:
Me: >240 Step 1, 600+ COMLEX, no red flags

Significant Other >220 Step 1, 550+ COMLEX, no red flags

Members don't see this ad.

My s/o and I are MSIIIs in DO programs planning to couples match via ACGME. I'm planning on shooting for EM, and my s/o is planning on IM. We're thinking ACGME for a couple of reasons:

1) Locations available
2) Potentially 3 vs 4 year program for EM
3) Better ability to get IM fellowships
4) Uncertainty about DO/MD match merger

We're in the process of figuring out which programs to apply to and/or where to do away rotations, we'd like to stick t0 Florida, Texas, AZ, or Cali, but understand that may not be as realistic as we'd like as we're both in DO programs. We're doing our best to locate DO-friendly programs, but finding it more difficult than expected. (Many don't list stats on FREIDA, we don't really know what to classify as "DO friendly." E.g. Is 1 DO/72 residents worth an application for either of us, or should we only classify programs with >5% DOs--or some other arbitrary number--as DO friendly?) We are willing to go to/apply to wherever necessary for this. Are there any specific programs/locations (mostly ER), we should be looking into?

Stats:
Me: >240 Step 1, 600+ COMLEX, no red flags

Significant Other >220 Step 1, 550+ COMLEX, no red flags

UofAZ south campus sounds like a decent choice of DO friendliness, reasonable competitiveness, and has both your programs.

Also, perhaps Maricopa County Medical Center in Phoenix.

UofAZ south campus sounds like a decent choice of DO friendliness, reasonable competitiveness, and has both your programs.

Also, perhaps Maricopa County Medical Center in Phoenix.

SLC, are we sure that UAZ South campus is DO friendly? Currently there are zero DOs in residency there.

Members don't see this ad :)
SLC, are we sure that UAZ South campus is DO friendly? Currently there are zero DOs in residency there.

Can't for sure comment on the ED program, but my classmate interviewed there (and at the main campus too). I know the IM program has taken plenty of DO's. And I know the main campus program has a handful of DO's in their 2nd year class.

Main campus IM is probably fairly DO friendly too, but probably somewhat more competitive. They're both within a few miles of each other though, so could be couples match able even if you both were at different hospitals.

Can't for sure comment on the ED program, but my classmate interviewed there (and at the main campus too). I know the IM program has taken plenty of DO's. And I know the main campus program has a handful of DO's in their 2nd year class.

Main campus IM is probably fairly DO friendly too, but probably somewhat more competitive. They're both within a few miles of each other though, so could be couples match able even if you both were at different hospitals.

Thanks for the input. This is what we keep running into- it seems that many IM programs are very friendly, but only some corresponding EM programs are similar. UAZ is a prime example. And there are no other EM residencies in the Tuscon area, so that would likely preclude us from applying.

Thanks for the input. This is what we keep running into- it seems that many IM programs are very friendly, but only some corresponding EM programs are similar. UAZ is a prime example. And there are no other EM residencies in the Tuscon area, so that would likely preclude us from applying.

U of A has two EM and two IM programs. The university hospital EM program has DO's right now, the south campus IM program has had DO's a lot.

The two hospitals are about 3-5 miles apart from each other. You could apply to both and if you each got an interview at at least one of the programs you could rank that way.

But I'm pretty sure south campus EM would be DO friendly, it's generally seen as the less competitive of the two hospitals pretty much across the board.

U of A has two EM and two IM programs. The university hospital EM program has DO's right now, the south campus IM program has had DO's a lot.

The two hospitals are about 3-5 miles apart from each other. You could apply to both and if you each got an interview at at least one of the programs you could rank that way.

But I'm pretty sure south campus EM would be DO friendly, it's generally seen as the less competitive of the two hospitals pretty much across the board.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. You just showed me that I can't trust the FREIDA search tool. UAZ and UAZ south both show zero percent DOs over the last 3 years. Weird. I will definitely keep those on my list, then.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. You just showed me that I can't trust the FREIDA search tool. UAZ and UAZ south both show zero percent DOs over the last 3 years. Weird. I will definitely keep those on my list, then.

Check the current resident list on the main campus website. At least 3 or 4 DO's in the 2nd year program right now.

Thanks, SLC. Any other programs inside or outside of our preferred regions that we should definitely keep in mind?

Check the current resident list on the main campus website. At least 3 or 4 DO's in the 2nd year program right now.

The current 2nd year class was the very first time they had ever taken a DO, and they did it in a big way, taking 4 I think. One of our faculty, and ACGME EM trained DO, was pleasantly surprised when someone told him they took DOs. I at the time he also said something to the effect that the south campus is open to taking DOs, but just hasn't by chance. I don't really know, I'm going off of vague memories of a meeting that happened over a year ago and I haven't really been keeping up on EM in a while since I don't think that's what I'll be going in to.

If you don't mind a few cold winters, I think you both stand a decent chance at UI Peoria, which is a bit of a hidden gem - their former EM PD is a DO who posted on here recently.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks, SLC. Any other programs inside or outside of our preferred regions that we should definitely keep in mind?

I'd also take a look at UT-Austin (formerly UTSW-Austin), lots of DO's in their EM program; uncertain about IM but every other program that was at UTSW-Austin that I'm aware of was very DO friendly.

Yep, EM at Brackenridge/SW was actually started by a DO (http://bit.ly/1TtuZOY); IM is also friendly. The Temple-Austin-San Antonio axis is a perennial away destination for TCOMers who have family there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some of the more DO friendly EM programs:

Texas:

UT-San Antonio
JPS-Fort Worth

Florida:

USF-Tampa
Florida Hospital-Orlando

If you don't mind a few cold winters, I think you both stand a decent chance at UI Peoria, which is a bit of a hidden gem - their former EM PD is a DO who posted on here recently.
I'm not a med student, but another program outside your preferred climate/weather zone is SUNY Buffalo. Plenty of DOs. Class of 2018 is 75% DO.
http://www.ubemresidency.com/class-of-2018.html

http://www.ubemresidency.com/alumni.html

Reactions: 1 user
OP needs places where a DO couple could match EM and IM.

While I'm sure he/she appreciates DO friendly EM suggestions, they're not that helpful without attached or nearby IM programs that are also DO friendly.

Arizona was mentioned earlier. Maricopa Medical Center is the only EM residency in the Phoenix metro area. I think it's a pretty competitive residency but you have good stats and it is DO friendly. The PD is a DO. Then for IM there are like 4 programs, all of which I think are DO friendly.

Hey! My boyfriend and I are in the same boat as this couple. Who is the former EM PD for UI Peoria?

I can't speak to its competiveness specifically, but Mount Sinai FL is a former AOA program and has both IM (and some fellowships) and EM. So you know that they will safely take DOs.

UF-Jacksonville is also extremely DO friendly in almost any specialty.