Allowed to do suctioning, setting up trays, and hand tools in CA w/out certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlecGaro

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

Just like the title says, if I live in California am I allowed to do basic suctioning, setting up trays and handing tools to the dentist? I do not have certification but I have been given permission by the dentist and was supervised at all times by the dentist. I want to know because I was told at UCLA's pre-dental day that this should not be a problem, but now I am hearing different things on the forums. I wrote that I did these tasks at dental offices in my AADSAS application and I am hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot.

Please let me know. I can't find an updated website that gives California's policy on this.

Thank you!
 
I've done that stuff in NY without a certification. I don't believe that a certification for being a dental assistant is a requirement any where. Just preferred.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only thing CA really cares about is if you have a xray license. And if you're doing the polishing for hygienists then you need a coronal polishing license, everything else is pretty much hands on