Already taking a year off, should I sit out this cycle as well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blastokine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I graduated from undergrad this past weekend with a B.S. in Chemistry and minor in Mathematics. My overall and science/math GPA is in the average ranges for medical school acceptance, about a 3.65. I've planned on taking a year off and applying this cycle (so I would be admitted for fall 2017), however I have not taken the MCAT yet. My plan was to study all summer for it and take it in August so I can get my results back in time for the fall application deadlines. My only worry is that this won't give me time to retake the MCAT if my score is subpar. Right now I have a volunteer opportunity as an EMT Basic and a research position in one of my professors labs lined up and I was wondering if I would be better off to take another year off, become an EMT Intermediate, advance my position in my professors lab, and have more time to prepare for the MCAT. This would also give me time to retake the MCAT if need be. Any advice or insight from people in a similar situation or understand my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I graduated from undergrad this past weekend with a B.S. in Chemistry and minor in Mathematics. My overall and science/math GPA is in the average ranges for medical school acceptance, about a 3.65. I've planned on taking a year off and applying this cycle (so I would be admitted for fall 2017), however I have not taken the MCAT yet. My plan was to study all summer for it and take it in August so I can get my results back in time for the fall application deadlines. My only worry is that this won't give me time to retake the MCAT if my score is subpar. Right now I have a volunteer opportunity as an EMT Basic and a research position in one of my professors labs lined up and I was wondering if I would be better off to take another year off, become an EMT Intermediate, advance my position in my professors lab, and have more time to prepare for the MCAT. This would also give me time to retake the MCAT if need be. Any advice or insight from people in a similar situation or understand my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sit out.... August is way too late for an MCAT. That isn't even taking into account the thought of needing a retake. Study all summer, do well in August, gain experience and apply on time next cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Sit out.... August is way too late for an MCAT. That isn't even taking into account the thought of needing a retake. Study all summer, do well in August, gain experience and apply on time next cycle.

This is what I figured would be best for me to do. If I take it in August and do well then I can focus more on the other parts of my application. Thank you for your help!

I will gladly listen to any other advice as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I figured would be best for me to do. If I take it in August and do well then I can focus more on the other parts of my application. Thank you for your help!

I will gladly listen to any other advice as well.

Yeah a August MCAT is never advised for a current cycle.... your 3.65 GPA is good so take the required time to score well on the MCAT, beef up your EC's and you should set yourself up for a successful cycle next year! Enjoy your gap year too

I agree with @CHoge25 , even with a stellar MCAT you would still be at a disadvantage applying so late.

An August MCAT test date is really late. I'd recommend using the summer to study for the MCAT and focusing on your EMT/research experiences during the gap year. That way you'll have time to retake if necessary and will be ready to apply for the next application cycle. It's better not to rush it in order to maximize your chances.