Am I an idiot? VMCAS grade equiv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cwazy cat lady

Slave to Felines
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am at the tedious part of filling in each course off of my transcripts. One school used the 4.0 system only... at least on the transcript.

So I am trying to fill in the VMCAS grade equivalent (the letter grade). But there really aren't instructions on how to do that. For example, when I look at their chart, here's what I get (one example):

4.0 = A
3.666= A-

What do I do if my grade point for the class falls in between those? Round to the closer of the two? Give myself a boost and go higher? 😉 Or take the hit and go lower? :scared:

Are there detailed instructions on this, because I am not finding any!?

Any guidance is appreciated. I didn't apply last year, but I am thinking that this maybe slightly different than last year's app.

Thanks, all.
 
Hi David,

Yeah, sure. My school gave us grades from 0.0 to 4.0.

4.0 is the highest... generally it went in increments like
4.0
3.9
3.8
3.7, etc..

So I am wondering why I have to convert this to VMCAS letter grade... esp because it then turns it into another value on a 4.0 scale...

Does that make sense?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It should automatically put in the VMCAS grade for you when you put in the grade you received from your school. At least that's what it did for me.
 
It should automatically put in the VMCAS grade for you when you put in the grade you received from your school. At least that's what it did for me.

Strange! It only did that for my first college's transcript when I entered a letter grade (it automatically assigned a VMCAS grade). But at my other university, we were on the 4.0 scale and each time I enter the grade, i then have manually select a VMCAS letter grade... which is where I am having difficulty without further instruction.

Say I enter 3.80 (a hypothetical course grade on my transcript).

I then have to select a VMCAS equivalent. The guide says,
4.0=A
3.66=A-

So do I put A or A- or ???

I (guessing on what to do) would put A- because 3.66 is closer to 3.8 than 4.0 is... But am I supposed to round in that manner?? That is essentially rounding down. I didn't get a 3.66, I got a 3.8. 😉

If I earned 3.90, then I can have the same choices of either 'A' or 'A-'. I have been putting 'A' for the VMCAS grade equivalent, but that is then rounding up...

Why can't VMCAS just deal with a 4.0 scale??? This is annoying! I don't know if I am assuming correctly.

Anyone else dealt with this?

If no one knows, I am going to have to email or call. ((I already have two other questions for them!))

Thanks!