jaycornonthecob

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am premed from CA, and will major in biochem or soemthing. So these are the schools i am considering.
Cal Poly SLO
Cal Poly Pomona
Cal State Long Beach
UCLA
UCB
UCSB
UCSD
UCD
UCI
UCR
USC
Alabama
Minnesota
Rice
Northwestern
Case Western
Is this too much for premed? I don't know what to cut down as i need safeties as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I was always told to cap it at 10.

But hey, if you have the time and money nothing is stopping you. Just be realistic in your decisions. You honestly don't need more than a few safety schools if you know you can get in.

Go somewhere that you can succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cal Poly SLO
Cal Poly Pomona
Okay, couple questions first...

What does your GPA (weight and non) look like?
Your SAT?
What is your economic and ethnic status (for scholarship purposes)?
You chose all the UC schools except Santa Cruz and Merced? Why not those 2?
Why Long Beach St and not San Diego St? Or San Jose St? Or any other Cal St?
Why did you choose THOSE particular out of state schools?

It be easier to help you decide which schools if we knew a little more about your situation and rationale for choosing.

Cap at 10 applicants, except all the UCs that share the UC app count as one. This is because (1) it costs a lot and (2) the more applications you send, the worse each individual application is (as you have less time to devote to it).

Cap at 10 applicants, except all the UCs that share the UC app count as one. This is because (1) it costs a lot and (2) the more applications you send, the worse each individual application is (as you have less time to devote to it).
Nah, now in highschool they use a program to submit to multiple schools at once.

Nah, now in highschool they use a program to submit to multiple schools at once.
I loved the CommApp but most schools have (many) supplemental essays. We didn't have to reenter our demographic info and transcripts for every school, but we had to do a lot of writing for each school.

Most of the kids competitive for Berkeley/Rice/Northwestern level schools treated the less competitive UCs as safeties, back when I went through the college app process. If you're someone like that (top couple percent SAT/ACT, straight As, etc) you are applying to way too many safeties in that list.

Do you really want to go out of state?
If not, you can cut a bunch of programs right there

ye i actually wanna go OOS.
I can pay for all the schools app fees, and obviously, cheaper is better, Hopefully, i will try to get aid or shcolarhsip at other shcools.
I am applyign to UC's bc I like them all, as a native- i might as well apply. I am only aplying to one of the lower three, so I picked Riverside do to closeness. I don't have specific preference for UCs, but top is UCSB. However, I am not sure goign to a top UC like UCSD or UCLA is good because they are really competitive. For Csu's ,i am not sure, so I want to apply to SLO and Pomona s backup schools for engineering. For the rest...
I like USC because diverse school with strong athletics. I am fine no matter where the school is.
I like Minnesota because good sports school with solid engineering, and i like the new location in urban area.
I like Alabama mainly because football and scholarship. The only thing i dont like is that it isn't diverse.
Case Western- I was originally applying bc med scholars program, but i think its still a good private school for premed. Its not at the top of my list though for OOS or private.
I like Rice because the location is nice and people seem happy there. The only problem I see is Hurricane Harvey. After the effects of that, is Rice still good to attend? this factor is holding me back.
Northwestern is my NUMBER 1. I really love their campus, proximity to Chicago, everything. Its super hard to get in though.
Is my list still justifyable?