This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgad1

Reaction score

Hello SDN. I am a pre-med biology major at the University of Central Arkansas. I am going into my second year of pre-med and would just like to run some stuff by all of you. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1. I had a lot of dual credit in high school, so I decided to take a semester to acquire various certifications that would allow me to work in a clinical setting. During one semester I received a CNA, Patient Care Technician, EKG Technician, and Phlebotomy Technician certifications. I have used these certifications to work in a hospital emergency room, where I have gained 500+ clinical experience hours. Even if I do not get into medical school, I still value this experience greatly. It has really shaped me. However, I was wondering if these certifications and experience with these certifications would help set me apart from other applicants in any way?

2. I took a lot of dual credit in high school, and to make a long story short, I was under my impression that my dual credit GPA would just go away once I graduated. I now know this is not the case, but it hurt my GPA a bit. I expect to graduate with a GPA in the 3.45-3.65 area. Will this be a major issue?

3. I plan to get my Masters of Public Health (MPH) before attending medical school. I see it as my way of understanding as much of the health care system as I can. I have worked at the bottom of the clinical staff, and getting this MPH will allow me to gain another look at the system from a different perspective. I think that for me to do the most good that I can as a physician one day, a very adept understanding of the system as a whole will certainly help. Is this reasoning flawed? Is getting the MPH a waste of time? Does an MPH look good on a medical school application?

4. I am coming from a very mediocre school. I grew up in a town that has less that 2,000 people in it, and then I am going to a possibly subpar university for my undergraduate. Will this be thought of negatively on a medical school application.

5. I have yet to take the MCAT, and I do understand that that will be a big deciding factor in my future, and I do plan on doing some research in the near future. However, for right now I have put together a list of schools I plan on applying to. Could someone tell me if it is reasonable or not? I know that is difficult without an MCAT score, but just in concept. Here is my list in no particular order:

Tulane

Drexel

Tufts

New York Medical College

Dartmouth

Rutgers

University of Arizona

UT HSC San Antonio

USC Keck

I have also picked out several DO schools I will apply to as well. Some of the schools on my list are more hopeful and less probable than others, but is overall reasonable? Also, I am a Texas resident.

I thank anyone who responds and provides insight for their time.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have 70+ volunteer hours, which will go up greatly as I go on.

1. Yes, from some.
2. No
3. MPH won't help as much as you think. If you really want to you can do a MPH/MD or MPH/DO program. Or just do it when you graduate.
4. Doesn't matter.
5. No point making a list without a MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Yes, from some.
2. No
3. MPH won't help as much as you think. If you really want to you can do a MPH/MD or MPH/DO program. Or just do it when you graduate.
4. Doesn't matter.
Thank you for the feedback!

1. Yes, from some.
2. No
4. Doesn't matter.
However, suppose my MCAT was on par with those schools averages, do you think my additional factors help stand out? I know I still have some things to add, like research, but I am just trying to make sure I am going the right way. Thank you.

I have no idea how schools would view the certifications. @Goro would know better.
But the consensus I have from SDN is that certifications are only pluses if you use them. Real clinical hours > technician certs.

I would say, get a few hundred clinical hours, ~40-80 shadowing hours and a few non-clinical community volunteering.

If you get the MCAT averages of those schools you'd have a good shot but this is easier said than done. USC for example has a matriculant average of 516.

I have no idea how schools would view the certifications. @Goro would know better.
But the consensus I have from SDN is that certifications are only pluses if you use them. Real clinical hours > technician certs.

I would say, get a few hundred clinical hours, ~40-80 shadowing hours and a few non-clinical community volunteering.

If you get the MCAT averages of those schools you'd have a good shot but this is easier said than done. USC for example has a matriculant average of 516.
Right. I do use my certifications very avidly. I get to do a little of everything in the ER. And as far as the MCAT goes, a 516 might be pushing it for me. If I get lucky MAYBE. But realistically, I could see myself ending up around the 510-512 range. Anyway, thank you for your input. I really do appreciate it.