AMCAS listing abstracts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gill_97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was filling out the AMCAS application and was confused on how to list my published abstracts. I have four published abstracts that were presented at an international conference, BUT I was not the presenting author. Additionally, the abstracts have several associated authors (10+), so I am not sure how to format it on the application. Should all the abstracts be lumped into one activity? I would be grateful if anyone can provide some advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was filling out the AMCAS application and was confused on how to list my published abstracts. I have four published abstracts that were presented at an international conference, BUT I was not the presenting author. Additionally, the abstracts have several associated authors (10+), so I am not sure how to format it on the application. Should all the abstracts be lumped into one activity? I would be grateful if anyone can provide some advice. Thank you!
For the ones you didn't personally present, make that fact clear, but it's ok to include them.

-A single entry
-List each one with primary author, you, then et al

If you do this, wouldn't you imply that you were second author? Maybe do primary author et al and then say what author you were.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gonnif Obviously you're far more experienced than me so I respect your opinion. However, I feel that you should be honest and clear with the way you present yourself to the ADCOM. Just because not many people have papers doesn't mean just having one is immediately stellar. For people who worked on an academic piece, it's important to specify their individual importance with respect to the others involved. Provided the journal is the same, 2nd author is of greater importance than 4th author. No one will reject him because of this, but honesty is always the best policy.

@gonnif Obviously you're far more experienced than me so I respect your opinion. However, I feel that you should be honest and clear with the way you present yourself to the ADCOM. Just because not many people have papers doesn't mean just having one is immediately stellar. For people who worked on an academic piece, it's important to specify their individual importance with respect to the others involved. Provided the journal is the same, 2nd author is of greater importance than 4th author. No one will reject him because of this, but honesty is always the best policy.
Sometimes co-authors are listed alphabetically, so order doesn't always mean something.

One's contribution to a project should be apparent in the affiliated Research listing.

I agree that transparency and honesty are important, but sometimes character limitations make a full citation impossible. Many will list multiple pubs, posters, presentations under a heading of authorship position, like "First Author" or "Co-Authored." Others will state their exact position in the lineup, including when they are co-first author.

I agree that transparency and honesty are important, but sometimes character limitations make a full citation impossible. Many will list multiple pubs, posters, presentations under a heading of authorship position, like "First Author" or "Co-Authored." Others will state their exact position in the lineup, including when they are co-first author.

Ah, got it. Didn't consider the character limitation.

-A single entry
-List each one with primary author, you, then et al
Thank you for the reply! To list as a single entry, how do I properly cite the abstract? Do I just list the title of each one, along with author format you mentioned?

Hmm. I guess people have differing opinions but personally, I know many in academia who would crucify you for changing the order of the authors lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you ain't first you're last :D

I just put down the first author then et al like gonnif suggested. It's obvious that you're an co-author if you're listing it as "articles/posters/abstracts co-authored". Some I even listed just the PMID.

Reactions: 1 user
If you ain't first you're last :D

I just put down the first author then et al like gonnif suggested. It's obvious that you're an co-author if you're listing it as "articles/posters/abstracts co-authored"

Your PI might have an issue with that first statement ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Your PI might have an issue with that first statement ;)

Touche. Wasn't thinking about that part.

I lost a first author spot to the PI once. We ended up involving more of the department and the chair claimed last author. Still bitter.