AMCAS, Secondaries, Public Health Intentions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocJuan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a specific interest in global health policy and management. I intend to pursue an MPH and indicated as much for several schools on my primary (I'm hoping it won't have some sort of negative impact on my likelihood of getting an interview). While filling out secondary applications for certain schools (Tulane, GW, BU, Emory), I find myself describing my intention to pursue the dual degree and how it relates to my broader interests. Especially when asked about my specific interest in the school and degree program.

My question is, does it look bad to place too much emphasis on public health in the supplemental? I don't want the select schools at which I'm interested in pursing the dual degree to think that I'm solely interested for the MPH. In my secondaries, should I just briefly mention my intention of pursuing an MPH and wait for the interview to discuss more? Or is my original instinct okay? Any feedback is appreciated as always!

Members don't see this ad.

If that is your motivation, and you can concurrently describe in clear, sincere terms, then do it. Do not worry about who is reading it. If it is concise, coherent, and compelling, without be insincere and arrogant, it will be fine. You need to discuss them in an intertwined way

So you're saying if I'm sincere and clearly state my interests, it could not possibly hurt my chances when compared to applying regular MD?

PS - I always think your avatar is an axial cross-section of the abdomen before seeing it up close :laugh:

No, I am saying be ethical and have integrity in applying by presenting a sincere and compelling PS

Thanks this goes without saying! I've already submitted my PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to medical schools and stated clearly in my personal statement that I wanted a MPH. I never shied away from it in secondaries, and I don't feel it impacted my ability to receive interview invitations or acceptances. If anything it was a talking point.

I think you just need to make sure you answer one question clearly: what does the MD do that you couldn't do with just the masters degree? If you answer that and then explain why a school is so intriguing because of their ability to give you both experiences, I have to imagine it's a plus because you have an actual reason for why you like the school (as opposed to the mundane answers most people recycle).

Reactions: 1 user
I also applied to medical schools and stated clearly in my personal statement that I wanted a MPH. I never shied away from it in secondaries, and I don't feel it impacted my ability to receive interview invitations or acceptances. If anything it was a talking point.

I think you just need to make sure you answer one question clearly: what does the MD do that you couldn't do with just the masters degree? If you answer that and then explain why a school is so intriguing because of their ability to give you both experiences, I have to imagine it's a plus because you have an actual reason for why you like the school (as opposed to the mundane answers most people recycle).

Thanks this is just the sort of advice I was looking for. It's good to know that you didn't shy away from the topic in secondaries as that's how I've been approaching it so far. The MD vs Masters thing sounds like a really good idea. So far, I've approached it more like the MPH will influence the way that I practice. I didn't think to explain what the MD does that the MPH does not. I'll definitetly find a way to add that!