An opinion, any opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

Wisconsin guy

Hello all. I have gone back through the last several months worth of posts to find that there is not one mention of Marquette Dental School. I'm not sure whether this is a positive or negative sign. Although I was raised to believe that no news is good news, I find it interesting that not once has this school had its name mentioned. As anyone who frequents this site is well aware of,the resources available to "rate" Dental schools are nest to non existent, so prospective students rely heavily on sites such as this. Soo... does any one have an opinion, any opinion towards Marquette.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question.
Marquette is a wonderful school from what I have heard. I have friends who have graduated from the undergrad, nursing (MS) program, and my grandfather went to their med. school. (Back in the day---obviously now called Med. College of Wisconsin.) I have heard that some of the dental faculty still try to do the "intimidation crap" (thou aren't holy enough) but I don't think its too prevalent.

The problem (I think) for Marquette is the location and the cost. Being so close to great programs like U of Minn., U of Iowa, U of Michigan (and unfortunately the closed but quality Northwestern (IL))---they are up against stiff competition. Not to mention their $20,000+ yr. price tag!
smile.gif

What's most important is what you are looking for in a school. Size, location, clinical vs academic, board scores, cost, etc...... If you found Marquette exciting and a perfect match---then go for it.

Post again if you need more info.

R.R.B

P.S. I'm from Stevens Point, Wis. Nice to see a fellow cheesehead.

Wisconsin guy

I went on a tour of the dental building and talked with some students and faculty members last fall. I don't know if you know this or not, but they have a limit of accepting only 25 wisconsin residents for some reason out of about 75 or 76 in total.

They are planning to open up a brand new 70 chairs clinic with a sim lab next to the current dental building in 2003 if everything goes as planned. The senior students spoke highly of the attention they received in clinics and I could see the skill and confidence the students possessed in handling their patients. I didn't see any 'intimidation crap' that Dr.2b mentioned, but I'm sure there are bad apples wherever you go.

With cost of living/expenses, instruments, and tuition, the estimate is just under $200K. IMHO, I'd go elsewhere for that price, unless you want to live close to home.

A good thing about the school is the class size...it's not too big at about 75 or 76 students. I don't remember the % of students specialing or their performance on the boards though.

Call up the adm office or the Dir of adm. (Mr Brian Trecek) and ask for a tour of the school. I just phoned them up and mentioned I was an applicant interested in visiting the school and wanted to learn more about the program.

good luck!

I thank you both for your opinion. I am encouraged that neither of you had any thing truly awful to say (price aside)about Marquette. I am not thrilled with the prospect of forking over 25k a year
eek.gif
but my wife and I own a home within 10 miles of campus and she isn't at all willing to relocate. I am aware the new building going up and hope to be in the inaugural class.
Thx again
Doug
smile.gif