Anesthesia getting paid too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this for a bit. Anesthesia gets paid.... too much? You intubate, push some meds, sit down till the case ends. The other side of the drape, there's chaos. Yet, the side of the drape that's -I would say- around 3x easier a job compared to being a general surgeon, on average gets paid MORE than the actual surgeon. How is this allowed. This is craziness. What world is it okay for a general surgeon to get paid less than an anesthesiologist lol. It's not like anesthesia is a big money maker for hospitals, it's all the surgeons.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
giphy.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this for a bit. Anesthesia gets paid.... too much? You intubate, push some meds, sit down till the case ends. The other side of the drape, there's chaos. Yet, the side of the drape that's -I would say- around 3x easier a job compared to being a general surgeon, on average gets paid MORE than the actual surgeon. How is this allowed. This is craziness. What world is it okay for a general surgeon to get paid less than an anesthesiologist lol. It's not like anesthesia is a big money maker for hospitals, it's all the surgeons.
Your post history alone allows me to give you no significant time or energy.

I will only say, you speak from a position if complete ignorance.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)

An equally silly student could say the same thing about surgery.

“They just cut while we keep the patient alive”.

Both are challenging high acuity practices that deserve adequate compensation.

Your writing here is one of those weird poorly informed medical studenty posts. Typically accompanied by some chip on the shoulder.

Reactions: 9 users
Sometime I think VV ECMO bills too much. It's just a big central line...

I don't know why the CT surgeons make a big deal about it. While we are at it, they shouldn't get paid that much when all they do is sew in circles all day long. 99% of the time the heart isn't even beating.

I swear hospitals charge too much. They're just a concrete building full of germs. One of them even gave me diabetes.

Reactions: 22 users
I think my pilot is paid too much. Half the time he prolly just pulls up on the stick til we're in in the air, hits the autopilot button, and then takes a nap.

Reactions: 9 users

medical student or SRNA?

Reactions: 8 users
An equally silly student could say the same thing about surgery.

“They just cut while we keep the patient alive”.

Both are challenging high acuity practices that deserve adequate compensation.

Your writing here is one of those weird poorly informed medical studenty posts. Typically accompanied by some chip on the shoulder.
Yeah , I admit that I’m probably a poorly informed student. But I have nothing against anesthesia. I’m rotating in surgery right now and it sucks. I’m actually excited for my anesthesia rotation, and maybe that’ll shed light on things. But I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way, hell i bet more than half the surgeons do also.

I think my major point still stands. It’s technically an easier and less demanding job. I’ve almost seen over 70 surgeries now, and unfortunately my hospital uses CRNAs and there’s literally never anything wrong. Even with patients with like over 70 percent carotid stenosis bilaterally etc, ASA level 3 etc.

I think most on lookers from afar would agree that the system is broken if the anesthesia guys get paid more than the surgeon.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah , I admit that I’m probably a poorly informed student. But I have nothing against anesthesia. I’m rotating in surgery right now and it sucks. I’m actually excited for my anesthesia rotation, and maybe that’ll shed light on things. But I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way, hell i bet more than half the surgeons do also.

I think my major point still stands. It’s technically an easier and less demanding job. I’ve almost seen over 70 surgeries now, and unfortunately my hospital uses CRNAs and there’s literally never anything wrong. Even with patients with like over 70 percent carotid stenosis bilaterally etc, ASA level 3 etc.

I think most on lookers from afar would agree that the system is broken if the anesthesia guys get paid more than the surgeon.

Wow 70 whole surgeries

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

Wow asa 3 no less? Youre so brave

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Judging by your previous posts, you are a medical student who barely made it into a DO school.
Your previous posts have been a combination of derision to different medical specialties and equally uninformed posts about how a mediocre-scoring student would be able to make a lot of money quickly in medicine. You have no idea what you are talking about, and even less insight to your own deficiencies.
If your demeanor online in any way reflect your demeanor in real life, you have a short and dim career ahead of you.
Get off this board.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)

On a case-by-case basis the surgeon make more for the operation than the anesthesiologist.

Thing is, the surgeon may only be in the OR a couple days a week, and often not even with a full schedule. You put him/her in the OR constantly for 50-60 hours per week and they will make more money than the anesthesiologist.

The OR is where the money is made. It's where the acuity is. It's where the life-and-death decisions are made. We spend ALL of our time there.

While you say that NOTHING bad had happened during those 70 surgeries. You honestly have no idea. Most problems are addressed quietly without making an ordeal out of it.

Reactions: 12 users
Surgeons have significant clinic time to aquire and follow up patients. No money there. Maybe they’re in the OR 2.5 days a week. An anesthesiologist is in the OR all the time. Cover 3 or 4 rooms at a time 5 days a week and they can be making more money. Though the surgeon will likely make a lot more for a particular case. Having said that, surgeons that work quickly, squeezing in an extra case or 3, take a clinic day on the weekend, and work 7-7 vs 7-4, take 2 weeks of vaca a year vs 8, etc can make a lot more in a system that compensates for productivity. We have a lot of surgeons in and around the 7 figure club, while we flounder at 1/2 that. Some systems are broken at baseline and others reward efficiency and can accommodate it. I’ll take few/no weekends, 6-8 weeks vaca, and leave at 3. They can have their million.
TLDR, tell your general surgeons to work more if they want more money. PS the Neuro/Spine/ortho guys they have lunch with make 2-3 times their income too.

Reactions: 7 users
Wow a lot of ad hominem attacks. Most of it hilarious, all of it justified.

If OP asked this question IRL, then it would be a huge red flag. Because whatever his credentials are, he has not learned that human interactions are key to his success in life.

But if we keep feeding the troll on the forum. We are the ones getting played.

He's not interested in the truth, he's interested in being right. No need to waste our time to feed into his ego.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I think my pilot is paid too much. Half the time he prolly just pulls up on the stick til we're in in the air, hits the autopilot button, and then takes a nap.

Dr. Schmidt. Niice! most people probably missed that one :)

Reactions: 1 user

I think the most important thing to discuss here is your arrogant and disdainful attitude. You're a student - you can choose how you engage in medicine and consideration of different specialties, and you will in turn help create the culture of medicine. You can choose a nontoxic respectful path, or not.

Anesthesia billing is great for Private. Sucks for Medicare and especially Medicaid. So depends on ur payor mix. Surgeons will generally get 60 percent of private from Medicare. So if anesthesia practice is more than 60 percent Medicare/Medicaid. It’s not as lucrative as you think. Many hospitals patient load is up to 80% Medicare and another 10% Medicaid.

remember just for average. 40% of Americans are already on equivalent of single payor. 15%-18% on Medicare. 20% of kids on Medicaid/chip. Another 5% on tricare.

It's funny, if you restrict the number of anesthesiologists/anesthesia personnel (or pay them less), and surgeries start getting cancelled, surgeons/hospital systems will start to try to throw money our direction to get us to work. Pay is commensurate to the risks.

Reactions: 1 users
In a free market pay is based on market rules not on how hard or easy a certain task might be. It's a question of supply and demand so it fluctuates based on availability of a certain service and certain providers of that service. The demand for anesthesiologists is much higher than the demand for general surgeons and there are too many general surgeons available, that's the simple truth.

I'm just going to leave this here. This guy is gold.

Honestly, this guy's insight into some of the quirks and nuance of inter-specialty interactions is amazing. He's hilarious.

Agree with above.

no appreciation for what’s involved with anesthesia, no appreciation for how busy anesthesiooogist can be during the day because all you see is the CRNA sitting there. No idea about call schedule and overnight work, and how many places anesthesiologists cover.

@ChiDO glaucomflecken is awesome! It’s pure gold how much truth and insight he has into the specialties! I crack up at all the anesthesia, ortho, ophtho, and definitely all the ID material!

Reactions: 2 users
...stopped caring that no one knows what we do about 15 years ago...they keep having me back anyway....seen way more surgeons come and go than anesthesiologists.....to be fair, I really don't know what they do either, and I don't care...

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Its interesting that a low score med student thinks we do nothing but my board certified colleagues in critical care down the hall think we're wizards... 🤔

Its interesting that a low score med student thinks we do nothing but my board certified colleagues in critical care down the hall think we're wizards... 🤔
Hell, I do it everyday, and I think we’re wizards. (Not that I am biased or have a self-inflated ego or anything.)

Agree with above.

no appreciation for what’s involved with anesthesia, no appreciation for how busy anesthesiooogist can be during the day because all you see is the CRNA sitting there. No idea about call schedule and overnight work, and how many places anesthesiologists cover.
Until somebody is dying.

I was at a buddy of mine's wedding- he's a bariatric surgeon- and some of his drunk college friends (high-payed I-banking types) were harassing me about how easy my job is. Another wedding guest- an absolutely hammered ED doc- overhears this exchange, and stumbles over to intervene (I'd never met this guy before).

He picks up a knife, turns to one guy, and fake-lunges at him. "You know what would happen if I stabbed you in the chest right now and let you lay there? You would die. Happens every day in the OR. Why don't those people die?" He claps me on the back. "Because of this guy."

Drops the mic- I mean knife- and wobbles away.

OP: I'm a CT anesthesiologist and intensivist. PM me your info. Happy to discuss my compensation IRL anytime.

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Let me change the perspective here …

“On the other side of the drape there’s chaos”

really good surgeons are quick, there’s not a crap ton of bleeding, and if there is they let us know without freaking out, they don’t bovie for 2 hours straight. I appreciate that they are excellent surgeons. If an anesthesiologist goes about and makes things smooth he is seen as lazy ….

I was at a buddy of mine's wedding- he's a bariatric surgeon- and some of his drunk college friends (high-payed I-banking types) were harassing me about how easy my job is. Another wedding guest- an absolutely hammered ED doc- overhears this exchange, and stumbles over to intervene (I'd never met this guy before).

He picks up a knife, turns to one guy, and fake-lunges at him. "You know what would happen if I stabbed you in the chest right now and let you lay there? You would die. Happens every day in the OR. Why don't those people die?" He claps me on the back. "Because of this guy."

Drops the mic- I mean knife- and wobbles away.

OP: I'm a CT anesthesiologist and intensivist. PM me your info. Happy to discuss my compensation IRL anytime.
Should've bought that ED doc another drink.

Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, med students on rotation w surgeons don’t see most of the work anesthesiologists put in for routine cases. By coming into the OR with the surgeon after scrubbing - you’ve missed the pre op planning, room setup, induction, airway management, nerve blocks, etc. Then leaving with the surgeon after skin closure you miss emergence, extubation, and transport to PACU. For bread and butter cases the only time you’ll see the anesthesiologist busting intraop is if something is going terribly wrong. Most anesthesiologists will make these cases look really boring. So much so that the surgeon will ask “is everything ok” if I’m running around in the middle of a lap appy/chole, knee scope, etc.

To be fair, med students on rotation w surgeons don’t see most of the work anesthesiologists put in for routine cases. By coming into the OR with the surgeon after scrubbing - you’ve missed the pre op planning, room setup, induction, airway management, nerve blocks, etc. Then leaving with the surgeon after skin closure you miss emergence, extubation, and transport to PACU. For bread and butter cases the only time you’ll see the anesthesiologist busting intraop is if something is going terribly wrong. Most anesthesiologists will make these cases look really boring. So much so that the surgeon will ask “is everything ok” if I’m running around in the middle of a lap appy/chole, knee scope, etc.
If you're not doing anything on your machine or scurrying behind the curtain besides chit chatting with us in the room, thats a great case. 😁

Most medical students, some residents and maybe even some doctors don't appreciate that.

We have a some great anesthesialogists in town and some average ones. And some I'd like to never have in my rooms. Same probabecould be said about surgeons.

I guess I get paid too much. all I do is answer pages, call people, and have this magical ability with this thing called insulin.

• Haha
Watching someone else give/perform/do anesthesia is the most boring thing on earth 99.99% of the time.

Almost turned me away from it as a student actually!

Reactions: 5 users
the entire point of our job in the OR is to make it look boring and easy. If done well, it should look that way. Even in codes I can make it look rather routine most of the time.

Reactions: 5 users
Insta-banned. Lol.

Im often the OR dj actually and i think DJs get paid a lot so thats ok then?
I actually take a lot of pride in my dj role, & take requests, have certain playlists for certain nurses ans surgeon combinations

Reactions: 4 users
Im often the OR dj actually and i think DJs get paid a lot so thats ok then?
I actually take a lot of pride in my dj role, & take requests, have certain playlists for certain nurses ans surgeon combinations

But you have an audience of 3. (Okay maybe 7 if it’s a robotic joint.). Deadmau5 wouldn’t even roll out of bed for that.

• Haha
The funny thing is that people think the critical stuff only happens in the OR without a thought given to the PACU/ICU where the rubber really meets the road...but then again, the hospital begins and ends at the scrub sink....

The offensive line of medicine. No one notices the unit unless you do a bad job.

Compared to Tom Brady, fewer know of Ryan Jensen and his line mates. But they’re an important part of the team and get paid, too.