Anesthesia getting paid too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree with the above. If it looks boring and routine that means everything is going\managed perfectly based on expertise of the anesthesiologist. When shtf that's when you see us blossom and keep the train from derailing. OP is obviously a dense dunce 2yr old so he just wants to rile up people who he expertly knows everything about after 70 surgeries, amazing! Let him flounder with no pay because we get paid too much when he's got a morbidly obese bleeding difficult airway in the middle of the night with no back up in the hospital except yourself or the blood bath liver up all night transfusing away multitasking other necessary tasks. Definitely overpaid!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
We get paid way too much for some cases and way too little for others.

Reactions: 10 users
Why is this even a question when athletes get paid millions? And what do they contribute to society other than entertainment? Life is not fair so deal with it, op, instead of thinly veiled whining.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this even a question when athletes get paid millions? And what do they contribute to society other than entertainment? Life is not fair so deal with it, op, instead of thinly veiled whining.
Deserve's got nothing to do with it. Supply and demand. Anesthesiology is well compensated because very few people can (or will) do it without killing or hurting people.

Pro athletes entertain and bring joy (and anguish :)) to millions upon millions of people every day. That, objectively, has tremendous value. We know this because millions upon millions of people willingly pay money and spend time to watch sports. And why shouldn't the athletes share in the enormous media and merchandize profits?

Letting your self-worth and job satisfaction ride on the money or glory someone else is getting is a recipe for lifelong heartburn.

Reactions: 13 users
Agree with @pgg! I work a relatively low stress ICU/anesthesiology job. I deserve whatever money I can from these people..
It took me a long time to separate my ego and self worth from my medical expertise and clinical acumen (or lack of).
Edit: I still think I'm better then most people

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Yeah that's where the real chicks money power chicks are

The offensive line of medicine. No one notices the unit unless you do a bad job.

Compared to Tom Brady, fewer know of Ryan Jensen and his line mates. But they’re an important part of the team and get paid, too.
Bad analogy though. Offensive line get a fraction of Brady (and other stars) money.

High paid athletes contribute far more gross value to society than a physician. Not even close. They literally can be valued by many millions at the same time, where as we are providing value to basically one patient at a time.

But I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way, hell i bet more than half the surgeons do also.
You're way off, well over 98% of surgeons feel that way. Hell to some extent I feel that way. I have to pinch myself that I get paid this much to do something that's still... somewhat... at times lol... enjoyable. You would have to pay me significantly more than what I make to be in most hell hole surgical specialties. But shhhhh, don't tell them that.

I’ve always wondered what thread ol’ scoopadoop would finally get shot down in. Given his older posts, I would never have guessed it would have been for accusing some doctors of making too much money.

Reactions: 1 user
Offensive line get a fraction of Brady (and other stars) money.

Brady is making $25M this year. Highest paid OL makes $23M this year. A few QBs are in the $30M range this year.

To make a better football analogy, though, worth noting there are 5 OL on the field at a time and their combined salary dwarfs the 1 QB on the field. Similar to how a surgeon is getting paid more than the anesthesiologist for doing the case in the room, but the anesthesiologist is able to do more cases total in a week (or year).

I must be one of the few people on here who actually thinks our compensation is too low for the work we do. Our CRNA "colleagues" have experienced exponential growth in income while our salaries have barely kept up with inflation.

The ignorant student is no way to asses the value or salary of a professional, Board Certified Anesthesiologist. Honestly, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as we all have witnessed in our lives. Everyone thinks they know how to do your job better than you do because it is just plain ignorance.

Reactions: 10 users
I must be one of the few people on here who actually thinks our compensation is too low for the work we do. Our CRNA "colleagues" have experienced exponential growth in income while our salaries have barely kept up with inflation.

The ignorant student is no way to asses the value or salary of a professional, Board Certified Anesthesiologist. Honestly, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as we all have witnessed in our lives. Everyone thinks they know how to do your job better than you do because it is just plain ignorance.
Every doctor thinks they can deliver a baby and given anesthesia without any experience …

Members don't see this ad :)
Deserve's got nothing to do with it. Supply and demand. Anesthesiology is well compensated because very few people can (or will) do it without killing or hurting people.
It would be nice if the US government felt this way. Plumbers make more per hour than what they pay us

It would be nice if the US government felt this way. Plumbers make more per hour than what they pay us
I don't think it's government's job to boost our income. We're already supplemented by the government and should be thankful for that, and are also protected by limited supply. I won't be hypocritical and advocate the beauty of free markets... until it affects me.

We are pretty blessed. How many jobs can you be absolutely horrible at, and as long as you aren't killing people or drugged out you're still making over $300,000.

As a follow-up and curiosity I just googled how many incomes even average $250,000. There we are, top of the list (and you know that figure isn't accurate). I'll complain about a lot of things, jacka$$ surgeons, bureaucratic nurse committees, thankless demanding ignorant entitled noncompliant pain in the a$$ patients... but I'm never going to cry poor me that I deserve more money for more cars, more houses, and more vacations.

Only 70% of the world has on premise drinking water service... I'm by no means overly rich, but I am definitely wealthy.

As a follow-up and curiosity I just googled how many incomes even average $250,000. There we are, top of the list (and you know that figure isn't accurate). I'll complain about a lot of things, jacka$$ surgeons, bureaucratic nurse committees, thankless demanding ignorant entitled noncompliant pain in the a$$ patients... but I'm never going to cry poor me that I deserve more money for more cars, more houses, and more vacations.

Only 70% of the world has on premise drinking water service... I'm by no means overly rich, but I am definitely wealthy.
Impressive research

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Never said it was. But it is my opinion that 20 bucks a unit is low. If you feel otherwise, that's fine.
My point is the government really doesn't have to pay us anything. They are basically paying for people that can't or won't. As a believer in free markets doctors are free to reject government payment, but I suspect it's a large majority that don't reject it.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this for a bit. Anesthesia gets paid.... too much? You intubate, push some meds, sit down till the case ends. The other side of the drape, there's chaos. Yet, the side of the drape that's -I would say- around 3x easier a job compared to being a general surgeon, on average gets paid MORE than the actual surgeon. How is this allowed. This is craziness. What world is it okay for a general surgeon to get paid less than an anesthesiologist lol. It's not like anesthesia is a big money maker for hospitals, it's all the surgeons.
You are banned now, but in case you come back and see this, I want you to know that you should TOTALLY go into surgery. They are going to LOVE YOU. You’ll fit right in.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
My point is the government really doesn't have to pay us anything. They are basically paying for people that can't or won't. As a believer in free markets doctors are free to reject government payment, but I suspect it's a large majority that don't reject it.

anesthesiologists are definitely not allowed to "reject government payment"

Bad analogy though. Offensive line get a fraction of Brady (and other stars) money.

Brady is making $25M this year. Highest paid OL makes $23M this year. A few QBs are in the $30M range this year.

To make a better football analogy, though, worth noting there are 5 OL on the field at a time and their combined salary dwarfs the 1 QB on the field. Similar to how a surgeon is getting paid more than the anesthesiologist for doing the case in the room, but the anesthesiologist is able to do more cases total in a week (or year).

:slap::slap::slap::slap::slap::slap:

This knife cuts both ways. Last week we had to cancel a semi-elective case because the ICU didn't have capacity. Patient had been in preop for 2 hours, had an IV, etc. The attending surgeon had to go explain to the patient why he wasn't going to have an operation that day. The patient was pretty upset, and took a lot of it out on the surgeon. Of course it was completely beyond the surgeons control, but he had to be the face of the situation.

Sometimes being OL has an upside, like being able to slink unnoticed to the showers while the quarterback faces the press.

Opportunity cost.
Call.

ibanker not everyone can do.

Graduating with an engineering degree(or whatever degree that can be well monetized) in ones early 20’s, working 45hr/week during daylight hours, and making 100k/yr would be within reach of many doctors. Compounding interest of savings and lack of compounding interest of debt would make it not a bad life.

Anyway, life aint fair. Already know it.

This knife cuts both ways. Last week we had to cancel a semi-elective case because the ICU didn't have capacity. Patient had been in preop for 2 hours, had an IV, etc. The attending surgeon had to go explain to the patient why he wasn't going to have an operation that day. The patient was pretty upset, and took a lot of it out on the surgeon. Of course it was completely beyond the surgeons control, but he had to be the face of the situation.

Sotimes being OL has an upside, like being able to slink unnoticed to the showers while the quarterback faces the press.

I would just blame the covid antivaxxers for taking up all the ICUs

Until somebody is dying.

I had the same sincere question recently from administration. It was a great opportunity to reference a couple of recent bad outcomes, the emotional turmoil/guilt the person had to deal with, discussion of the ability to act correctly and quickly in an emergent situation and other life-draining things that go along with the job. Not to mention the vast majority of physicians who choose to not pick a specialty where you have to make the correct decision under these time-constraints that can cause death. The administrators saw things in a totally different light afterwards. I actually appreciate these opportunities to be able to address these false perceptions in this manner. This way it doesn't look like I am patting myself on the back.

I had the same sincere question recently from administration. It was a great opportunity to reference a couple of recent bad outcomes, the emotional turmoil/guilt the person had to deal with, discussion of the ability to act correctly and quickly in an emergent situation and other life-draining things that go along with the job. Not to mention the vast majority of physicians who choose to not pick a specialty where you have to make the correct decision under these time-constraints that can cause death. The administrators saw things in a totally different light afterwards. I actually appreciate these opportunities to be able to address these false perceptions in this manner. This way it doesn't look like I am patting myself on the back.
The bad outcomes you referenced, were they local to you? Or just stuff in the news?

The bad outcomes you referenced, were they local to you? Or just stuff in the news?
They were local. It is easier and natural to want to keep situations like this quiet as possible, but I think that is a disservice. You can't learn from them or prevent them from happening again. And the second thing is that you have people ignorant of what we are actually doing everyday. I think outside perception is you push a syringe of propofol, push a button on a machine and sit down for 2 hours. My administrator's perception was that there was essentially never any bad outcomes. Letting them know that isn't true while keeping the perception that you are competent is obviously a concern but manageable.

No one should ever make excuses or feel bad that they make too much money. I can name you thousands of field that work less, study less, sacrifice less that make more. Look at that youtube kid that opens up toys and made 20+M.

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you. No more, no less.

I get paid more than most docs and work less but I do not feel bad. I am worth whatever hits my bank account.

Look at that youtube kid that opens up toys and made 20+M.

Ryan? Kid makes >$20M a year from youtube alone. Nevermind the infinite amount of branded merchandise you can buy online or in Target or Walmart with his picture on it.

Really makes me look at my freeloading kids and wonder how to cash in on them...

• Haha
  • Wow
correct. If anyone is a poster child for being overpaid it is him/his parents but people willing to pay so he is not overpaid.

Ryan? Kid makes >$20M a year from youtube alone. Nevermind the infinite amount of branded merchandise you can buy online or in Target or Walmart with his picture on it.

Really makes me look at my freeloading kids and wonder how to cash in on them...

Tell them to get a job like the good old days

People wouldn't be so soft if they had to work 16 hours a day in a factory or a field. None of this fibromyalgia live off everyone else's taxes nonsense.

Tell them to get a job like the good old days

People wouldn't be so soft if they had to work 16 hours a day in a factory or a field. None of this fibromyalgia live off everyone else's taxes nonsense.

none of them are nearly old enough to work an actual job, but you can be a youtube multimillionaire at age 6 or 7

Had a friend in high school that went professional in counterstrike. Small potatoes $ back in the day. He was born a couple decades too early it seems.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this for a bit. Anesthesia gets paid.... too much? You intubate, push some meds, sit down till the case ends. The other side of the drape, there's chaos. Yet, the side of the drape that's -I would say- around 3x easier a job compared to being a general surgeon, on average gets paid MORE than the actual surgeon. How is this allowed. This is craziness. What world is it okay for a general surgeon to get paid less than an anesthesiologist lol. It's not like anesthesia is a big money maker for hospitals, it's all the surgeons.
Every surgeon prefers me to just sit there until the case ends. If I'm walking around and doing ****, to the point where the surgeon notices... that's NOT a good sign. Also, pushing those "some meds" is what keeps that patient alive. You failed to understand what we do - but that's expected.

Yeah , I admit that I’m probably a poorly informed student. But I have nothing against anesthesia. I’m rotating in surgery right now and it sucks. I’m actually excited for my anesthesia rotation, and maybe that’ll shed light on things. But I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way, hell i bet more than half the surgeons do also.

I think my major point still stands. It’s technically an easier and less demanding job. I’ve almost seen over 70 surgeries now, and unfortunately my hospital uses CRNAs and there’s literally never anything wrong. Even with patients with like over 70 percent carotid stenosis bilaterally etc, ASA level 3 etc.

I think most on lookers from afar would agree that the system is broken if the anesthesia guys get paid more than the surgeon.
Was a Surgery resident for 2 years. Then saw the light and switched. Most surgeons have ZERO idea what an anesthesiologist does. My wife is a surgeon and literally asked me what I was doing. Also never been 10% as scared during surgeries than when I started anesthesia. Truly terrifying when things go bad.
Also 'OMG 70% carotid stenosis and ASA 3"??? Hahahaha.

How many parents think their kids spend too much time playing video games?

I grew up with a Sega Genesis. I’d beat my dad regularly on NBA Jam. The sad part is he would practice when I went to bed. Played a ton of mortal kombat (1-ultimate mk3). I played wayyyyy too much N64. I refuse to play StarFox again. Peppy, slippy and falco are worthless in all range battles.
Then got into Xbox/Halo. Now I can’t beat my kids at video games. Lol

To get paid a lot playing video games, those folks treat it like a time intensive job. A lot of practice and gaming, then they have to win at tournaments to stay relevant.

I grew up with a Sega Genesis. I’d beat my dad regularly on NBA Jam. The sad part is he would practice when I went to bed. Played a ton of mortal kombat (1-ultimate mk3). I played wayyyyy too much N64. I refuse to play StarFox again. Peppy, slippy and falco are worthless in all range battles.
Then got into Xbox/Halo. Now I can’t beat my kids at video games. Lol

To get paid a lot playing video games, those folks treat it like a time intensive job. A lot of practice and gaming, then they have to win at tournaments to stay relevant.
If I would have been payed for all my time playing Civilization, I’d put Jeff Bezos to shame.