Anesthesiologist Assistant or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m unsure if I’m posting this in the right place, so apologies in advance if I’m in the wrong area.

I know everyone has a unique situation, so I wanted to explain mine briefly and ask opinions of others on if I should pursue a PA or MD route. When I say PA, I actually mean AA - Anesthesiology Assistant. If I do MD, I’m stuck between surgeon or anesthesiologist.

I am 24 years old and live in Georgia. I’m currently in a job in aviation that pays well, but I’m looking for a career change. I’ve wanted to be either a MD/AA for about 8 months now and have done plenty of research, but I’m still stuck.

I currently attend two colleges simultaneously and hold a 4.0 in each. The first college is a tech school close to my home that I’m going to so I can get a degree to become a surgical technician. I’m about 1 year from being done. The second college is Arizona State University (online) for a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. I’m actually attempting to get on an advanced track so that I can get my bachelor’s and master’s in a condensed time frame.

Before you say anything bad about ASU being online, classes like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, etc, have the lecture portion taught online. The lab portion is in person, meaning I’d actually fly out to the campus to complete these physically. Any additional prerequisites I need, I’m taking at a community college near me.

Now we get to my question. I’m 24, but in a lovely relationship with the most supportive girl I’ve ever been with, and she’s completely fine with either choice I decide. We’re both not too big on children, although we want to keep our minds open. She’s only 21, so of course we have this mindset at our age, but things change.

Side note: I know AA’s can only practice in X amount of states, but they’re all places I’d like to live - so no worries at all on this.

I know this forum may be a little biased in terms of giving an opinion, but what do you think I should do? MD in something like surgery or anesthesia, or become an AA before 30?

Quick pros and cons:

MD
Pros: 3x the money, respect, status (don’t act like this doesn’t matter), a longer time in school could be really good, still a doctor by around 36.

Cons: Probably more hours so if I decide to have kids it may be a little stressful, more time in school could be draining (although I’m an INTP - a natural nerd), more responsibility, a huge commitment of time when I might not even land the residency I want. TON OF DEBT, but more pay maybe equalizes it.

AA
Pros: $130k a year minimum pay to start (where I’m at), a more set schedule, 40 hour weeks typically, more time outside of work to do side gigs (I own a one-for-one, want to write a book, possibly open a gym, I’m very entrepreneurial spirited but medicine is my passion), way less debt.

Cons: Less respect and status, an apparent “turf war” with CRNA’s, 1/3 the pay of an MD for a lot of similar work, always wondering if I should’ve gone the MD route, less notable schools, missing the true college experience, etc.

What’s your opinion? ALL are welcome. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m unsure if I’m posting this in the right place, so apologies in advance if I’m in the wrong area.

I know everyone has a unique situation, so I wanted to explain mine briefly and ask opinions of others on if I should pursue a PA or MD route. When I say PA, I actually mean AA - Anesthesiology Assistant. If I do MD, I’m stuck between surgeon or anesthesiologist.

I am 24 years old and live in Georgia. I’m currently in a job in aviation that pays well, but I’m looking for a career change. I’ve wanted to be either a MD/AA for about 8 months now and have done plenty of research, but I’m still stuck.

I currently attend two colleges simultaneously and hold a 4.0 in each. The first college is a tech school close to my home that I’m going to so I can get a degree to become a surgical technician. I’m about 1 year from being done. The second college is Arizona State University (online) for a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. I’m actually attempting to get on an advanced track so that I can get my bachelor’s and master’s in a condensed time frame.

Before you say anything bad about ASU being online, classes like biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, etc, have the lecture portion taught online. The lab portion is in person, meaning I’d actually fly out to the campus to complete these physically. Any additional prerequisites I need, I’m taking at a community college near me.

Now we get to my question. I’m 24, but in a lovely relationship with the most supportive girl I’ve ever been with, and she’s completely fine with either choice I decide. We’re both not too big on children, although we want to keep our minds open. She’s only 21, so of course we have this mindset at our age, but things change.

Side note: I know AA’s can only practice in X amount of states, but they’re all places I’d like to live - so no worries at all on this.

I know this forum may be a little biased in terms of giving an opinion, but what do you think I should do? MD in something like surgery or anesthesia, or become an AA before 30?

Quick pros and cons:

MD
Pros: 3x the money, respect, status (don’t act like this doesn’t matter), a longer time in school could be really good, still a doctor by around 36.

Cons: Probably more hours so if I decide to have kids it may be a little stressful, more time in school could be draining (although I’m an INTP - a natural nerd), more responsibility, a huge commitment of time when I might not even land the residency I want. TON OF DEBT, but more pay maybe equalizes it.

AA
Pros: $130k a year minimum pay to start (where I’m at), a more set schedule, 40 hour weeks typically, more time outside of work to do side gigs (I own a one-for-one, want to write a book, possibly open a gym, I’m very entrepreneurial spirited but medicine is my passion), way less debt.

Cons: Less respect and status, an apparent “turf war” with CRNA’s, 1/3 the pay of an MD for a lot of similar work, always wondering if I should’ve gone the MD route, less notable schools, missing the true college experience, etc.

I would personally shadow all that you can and see which appeals to you more.

Reactions: 1 user

Quick pros and cons:

MD

AA

**Money, Respect, and status** as you stated in that order...while you dwell on that and wonder where I’m coming from:

I also concur you cannot move forward without at least shadowing, observing, and some form of questioning in the day-to-day lifestyle. Only then can you start a foundation of moving forward. Obviously whichever you pick you’ll be well off. Hopefully some form of passion will develop and guide you to the next step.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: if you decide to go down MD/DO path, make sure you check to see if they allow online prerequisite coursework. The MSAR is a great resource for that, and if any questions, you contact schools directly.

An AA is a very different path than MD/DO. The training, breadth of knowledge and expertise, scope of pratice, liability, upward mobility, and more differ significantly between the two. Only you know what's best for you, and if being able to practice sooner is what you desire, MD/DO is not the right path. As another poster mentioned, shadow a physician to get an idea of what the day-to-day is like. Also, complete your degree and continue to score well, and if medical school is what's next for you, score well on the MCAT.

You're at least two years from being in a position to apply to medical school, so you have time. Don't rush this process.

Best of luck to you.

PA school would let you build a net worth of about half a million dollars by the time the doctor finished paying off loans. I would just figure out which job you want more and not really worry about the money. If you do pa school and buy a new beamer and expensive apartment you will look like a fool at 42, but if you live frugally you will live on the same street as a doctor if you want to at 42. PA school followed by saving 50k a year for 6 years and then continue to pay on your home and max out a 401k/ roth ira and you will become very wealthy.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
PA school would let you build a net worth of about half a million dollars by the time the doctor finished paying off loans. I would just figure out which job you want more and not really worry about the money. If you do pa school and buy a new beamer and expensive apartment you will look like a fool at 42, but if you live frugally you will live on the same street as a doctor if you want to at 42. PA school followed by saving 50k a year for 6 years and then continue to pay on your home and max out a 401k/ roth ira and you will become very wealthy.

OP, do yourself a favor and ignore this person. All of their replies have nothing to do with the OP’s question and seems to always direct the OP in a different direction (in this case, PA) altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I simply went into detail about the finances of the two fields since he seems to be very interested in that. I'm not a doctor so I try not to elaborate on what it's like to be a doctor. From what I understand if you become a PA you will always work for someone else. You will never be the boss. It won't matter if you have 25 years of experience and your boss retires. They will just find a guy 2 years out of residency and plug him right in above you. Medicine is not like other fields in which you hope of moving up the corporate ladder. Once you pick your education you are stuck at that level forever. Maybe someone can give better input on what I just said. Doctor is the most sure fire way of becoming a big time exec, boss, or ect. There are tons of people who go other paths than medicine, never get promoted, and spend their entire lives working in a cube for 80k a year.

Last edited:
OP never mentioned PA; they asked about AA vs MD/DO. Finances are secondary but not what the conversation needs to be centered around. Again, your posts are all nearly identical and you’re in the hot seat now, so please take advise of others from this community and reassess your posting strategy.

He actually asked about PA. Read the first line of his first posting.

Read his entire post. Actually, just read the sentence following the one you referenced.

MD if you can do it which it seems like you can. Trust me the respect and prestige is very important as you age. The money's nice too. In the long run, you will never regret choosing the MD route but AA route may be filled with regret if you're a smart guy that knows he could've been the surgeon or the anesthesiologist.

Read his entire post. Actually, just read the sentence following the one you referenced.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. You seem like a very reasonable person. My biggest concern with MD is the hours worked. In surgery and anesthesia, I could see the hours being hectic. I want a family and time with my wife. I don’t mind going to school much longer, the extra debt, etc. I just want to specialize and have a healthy family life, which seems little difficult in terms of being an anesthesiologist or a surgeon. I currently work 80 hours a week between work and school - I don’t want this forever, regardless if I love my job or not. That’s where AA comes into play. The pay is good - even up to $200k in Georgia, my home state. 40 - 50 hour weeks aren’t uncommon at all either. And I’m still specializing. I really don’t mind if I’m in charge or under someone either. I can’t even say I’d prefer one over the other - as long as I’m working in the field, I think I’d be happy. They both have their pros and cons, and although I have a few years to decide, I’d way rather prefer to know. I guess nobody really does, even after applying and whatnot.

In terms of online courses and prerequisites, I’m planning to take my extra prerequisites not covered in my degree at a local community college. If I choose med school and the online prerequisites I’ve taken seem bad or hurt me, I’ll retake them physically at the community college, as I’ll be there anyways. It may take a little longer, but I enjoy the process and am fine with taking an extra year or so if needed.

Like I mentioned earlier, I want a happy, healthy family life. Which is why I mention the money as well. If I can work 50 hours a week as a doctor and have more autonomy as well as 3x the money, I’d obviously prefer it. If I can’t, I’m okay with AA as well. I love medicine, I love helping people, and I love being able to contribute to society via these routes. I’m just unsure which one would make me happier outside of work. I’ll definitely make sure to shadow some more, but the opportunities have been rare so far.

MD if you can do it which it seems like you can. Trust me the respect and prestige is very important as you age. The money's nice too. In the long run, you will never regret choosing the MD route but AA route may be filled with regret if you're a smart guy that knows he could've been the surgeon or the anesthesiologist.

Thank you! I truly believe I’m capable of being a doctor, and a damn fine one at that. My biggest concern is the life outside of my work. I value my time the most, and the two fields I’d enjoy the most (surgery and anesthesia) are notoriously known to be horrible in terms of having a family life. Or you can work half as much and get paid half as much, taking me back to around what an AA makes anyways. Money isn’t my biggest motive at all, but it obviously influences your life outside of work, which I would like to enjoy. I don’t care about working under someone or being in charge. They both have their pros and cons. I just want to be in the field and have a good family life and spend a lot of time with my wife. If I could have a good schedule, I would prefer to be a doctor, though.

I'm friends with an anesthesiologist that works in a small city of about 150k people. He says his quality of life is much better than if he was working in Indianapolis. It may be worth researching the jobs in the small cities in areas your interested in.

I'm friends with an anesthesiologist that works in a small city of about 150k people. He says his quality of life is much better than if he was working in Indianapolis. It may be worth researching the jobs in the small cities in areas your interested in.

I’d prefer a smaller city. Grew up in a city with less than 30,000 and I like this lifestyle, although I like traveling to cities. Couldn’t see myself there full time though. I was under the impression doctors in smaller cities work a little less. Who knows.

Thank you! I truly believe I’m capable of being a doctor, and a damn fine one at that. My biggest concern is the life outside of my work. I value my time the most, and the two fields I’d enjoy the most (surgery and anesthesia) are notoriously known to be horrible in terms of having a family life. Or you can work half as much and get paid half as much, taking me back to around what an AA makes anyways. Money isn’t my biggest motive at all, but it obviously influences your life outside of work, which I would like to enjoy. I don’t care about working under someone or being in charge. They both have their pros and cons. I just want to be in the field and have a good family life and spend a lot of time with my wife. If I could have a good schedule, I would prefer to be a doctor, though.

While surgery is notorious for having a hard life I have plenty of family friends and family that are surgeons. None make less than 350k and their quality of lives vary. One of them is a CT surgeon who makes 1.25M and works 70-75 hrs per week; he still finds time to go out on his boat with family. Another is a general surgeon that works 65-70 and makes 550ish. One of them is a Urologist and works like 45 and makes 350 but he’s on multiple divorces because of his character. Going MD will give you so much more flexibility and you’ll always make more money.

Reactions: 1 users
While surgery is notorious for having a hard life I have plenty of family friends and family that are surgeons. None make less than 350k and their quality of lives vary. One of them is a CT surgeon who makes 1.25M and works 70-75 hrs per week; he still finds time to go out on his boat with family. Another is a general surgeon that works 65-70 and makes 550ish. One of them is a Urologist and works like 45 and makes 350 but he’s on multiple divorces because of his character. Going MD will give you so much more flexibility and you’ll always make more money.

Thanks so much for your post. I’d prefer surgery but I know it’s so competitive, you have to be lucky to get the residency you want, the hours during residency are insane, etc. I’m afraid of becoming a doctor and all surgical jobs requiring 60+ hour weeks plus call. I don’t care if you love your job, that will still take a toll on your family and all. I grew up with my dad working all the time and I do not want that for my kids. Ultimately, it I could be a surgeon in a good work life like you said, that would be awesome. And I don’t want to work a decade to get there, as I’m starting late in life. I am very much considering the MD route now.

Thanks so much for your post. I’d prefer surgery but I know it’s so competitive, you have to be lucky to get the residency you want, the hours during residency are insane, etc. I’m afraid of becoming a doctor and all surgical jobs requiring 60+ hour weeks plus call. I don’t care if you love your job, that will still take a toll on your family and all. I grew up with my dad working all the time and I do not want that for my kids. Ultimately, it I could be a surgeon in a good work life like you said, that would be awesome. And I don’t want to work a decade to get there, as I’m starting late in life. I am very much considering the MD route now.
Would you mind telling me which path you ultimately chose?

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. You seem like a very reasonable person. My biggest concern with MD is the hours worked. In surgery and anesthesia, I could see the hours being hectic. I want a family and time with my wife. I don’t mind going to school much longer, the extra debt, etc. I just want to specialize and have a healthy family life, which seems little difficult in terms of being an anesthesiologist or a surgeon. I currently work 80 hours a week between work and school - I don’t want this forever, regardless if I love my job or not. That’s where AA comes into play. The pay is good - even up to $200k in Georgia, my home state. 40 - 50 hour weeks aren’t uncommon at all either. And I’m still specializing. I really don’t mind if I’m in charge or under someone either. I can’t even say I’d prefer one over the other - as long as I’m working in the field, I think I’d be happy. They both have their pros and cons, and although I have a few years to decide, I’d way rather prefer to know. I guess nobody really does, even after applying and whatnot.

In terms of online courses and prerequisites, I’m planning to take my extra prerequisites not covered in my degree at a local community college. If I choose med school and the online prerequisites I’ve taken seem bad or hurt me, I’ll retake them physically at the community college, as I’ll be there anyways. It may take a little longer, but I enjoy the process and am fine with taking an extra year or so if needed.

Like I mentioned earlier, I want a happy, healthy family life. Which is why I mention the money as well. If I can work 50 hours a week as a doctor and have more autonomy as well as 3x the money, I’d obviously prefer it. If I can’t, I’m okay with AA as well. I love medicine, I love helping people, and I love being able to contribute to society via these routes. I’m just unsure which one would make me happier outside of work. I’ll definitely make sure to shadow some more, but the opportunities have been rare so far.

If you're truly competitive for MD, go for it and don't look back. Have a discussion with your wife about the time commitment in medical school and residency (also the uncertainty inherent in applying to medical school, location of medical school, and then another game of roulette for residency). There is a ton of variety within medicine that might pull you away from anesthesiology or surgery and allow you to have a better lifestyle. Even if you choose anesthesiology or surgery, there are plenty of ways to practice that will allow you to have a comfortable lifestyle after residency. You will not be working 80 hours forever if you do not want to (most people don't). In short, MD = life is harder for next 8-12 years, but sweeter after. How do you feel about delayed gratification?

Lastly, if at all possible, don't take your prereqs at community college. You're better off doing that at a local university.

SDN would make you believe otherwise...

Cemetra said:
MD

AA

First thought that comes to mind: You have to really enjoy school and test-taking (year after year) to become a successful MD. You can't be on the fence about this. Second thought: "INTPs are nerds;" this is kinda rude and we try to be welcoming on this forum. Just FYI. Third thought: $130k is nothing to scoff at and enough to provide for most people and their families. Why not go the AA route? Unless you think you would feel bitter for never becoming a MD (it sounds like you might), but for the wrong reasons.