@TempleChairman,
Thank you for your answers. They are extremely helpful.
As an IMG, I would like to know your thoughts regarding the lack of US clinical experience and research for a non-American-IMG and how to possibly overcome these obstacles ? Would you consider accepting letters of recommendation from physicians practicing outside the US ?
On a broader scale, I would like to know your thoughts about the CRNA "hot topic".
I also noted that your residency program doesn't show great information on the Freida website.
Hi Henyy,
I acknowledge that a lack of US experience can be a barrier for many IMGs. Reviewing our recent history at Temple, approximately half of the IMGs that have passed through our program had no US experience but had come from countries where we had enough insight to directly evaluate their letters of reference (either as a result of having trainees from that country in the past, or because of faculty from the country in question who could evaluate their experience and references) and understand how they related to the candidate's likelihood of success in our program. The other half had come to the US and entered preliminary training programs in surgery or medicine. This allowed them to established work records within the US healthcare system and provided them with references that could speak to their ability to adapt to conditions here. I am not sure if this counts as helpful advice, but it does accurately reflect what has worked at Temple.
Your open ended question regarding the CRNA "hot topic" is rather broad, but I will attempt to answer what I think you are asking. As a foundational principal I do believe that market forces are incredibly efficient at allocating resources appropriately to achieve optimal outcomes. In an open and competitive economy, these forces are also irrefutably irresistible over the long term. Much of the debate between a specific faction of the CRNA community and a corresponding faction of the anesthesiologist community revolves around the granting or restriction of the right to independently (ie: separate and apart from a team) provide services through regulation or legislation. Overall I find this debate to have very little relevance to my daily practice. I greatly enjoy working with a group of highly dedicated and competent CRNAs without whom I would be unable to influence the care of as many patients as I do. Their level of training and expertise is well matched to the function they fulfill. They are not presently capable of, nor do most have any desire to, assume the management functions I provide.
When the residents with whom I work express concern regarding the "CRNA question", I urge them to imagine that they own a hospital for which they are wholly and personally financially responsible. I then suggest that all of the staff, nurses and physicians within the hospital are their direct employees and all reimbursements for care are provided on a "bundled" basis (ie: one flat rate for all professional and institutional costs associated with an admission). This is a scenario which I think is not far in the future. I then outline all of the services that they will need to provide for their patients presenting for surgery to ensure the success of their business model: pre-operative risk assessment and counselling, prehabilitation / conditioning before admission, peri-operative nutritional support, comprehensive perioperative pain management, intraoperative anesthesia (IVs, intubation, administration of volatile anesthetics), diagnostic imaging (TEE, FAST scans) and resulting interventions in response to complications, post-operative monitoring and cardiopulmonary support, extended oversight in a critical care environment, overall design / oversight / continuous improvement of the systems of care in coordination with other specialists. Finally I ask them: "If you owned this hospital would you hire only CRNAs? Would you hire only anesthesiologists? Would you hire a combination? Why?"
It usually does not take long for them to understand that continuous 1:1 care by a physician anesthesiologist for every patient, ASA 1-4, undergoing any form of sedation or general anesthesia is a horrendously inefficient practice (unless they cut physician compensation by ~50% or more - most decline this option). At the same time it becomes obvious that the services provided by anesthesiologists OTHER THAN intravenous placement and endotracheal intubation are quite broad and absolutely essential to the success of healthcare systems under the evolving reimbursement paradigms. These payment systems emphasize the achievement of uniformly good outcomes and the reduction of costly complications and ineffective interventions (ie: waste) which can only be achieved by well-coordinated integrated care. The future of peri-operative services requires both routine care provided by CRNAs and higher level management functions provided by physicians with a broader scope of medical knowledge and an understanding of complex systems. In the recorded history of free market systems there has never been a profession that has, successfully over a sustained period of time, expanded its scope beyond its core competency nor protected itself from obsolescence through legislation. The only real answer is to understand your true value-added proposition and to deliver it to the system in which you work.
Regarding the FREIDA database, your point is well taken. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will update the entry there at some point this spring.