Annoyed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ndcyciv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is it really annoying that some of these posts on here have to announce that they are from "one of the best pharmacy school"?
I was always under the assumption that as long as you were a good pharmacist it didn't matter where you went, since the ACCP sets what we have to learn anyways. I don't even know if I graduated from "one of the best" pharmacys schools, but I do know I'm in high debt from that school. :laugh:

So, since I didn't graduate from a prestigious school, I will always get passed over by someone who did graduate from a prestigious school? Where I live is only 2 pharmacy schools. Each one hates the other but neither is thought of as prestigious. However, not one person asks me on interview where I went.

Sorry to post, but I was getting annoyed reading some of these posts about being "at the best pharmacy school in the world"!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a thought? Don't know about everybody else, but my school tries to instill in us (especially P1 year) that it is the best school in the world! After I got out of that small world and met people from other institutions, I realized only then that my school wasn't the "Harvard of Pharmacy" like they told us. It is quite a brain wash! Maybe everyone else's school does the same thing and they just don't know any better.

But I do agree. If you are in any PharmD program you are doing great. I haven't heard of any yet that are easy to get into. They are all pretty much equal in my mind, and the seal on your degree doesn't equate to the type of pharmacist you will make.

I hear ya. When people find out that I go to such and such school, they're always like, "That's one of the best pharmacy schools in the country." or "that's a great school, my such and such(usually their relative) goes there".

Instead of analyzing things, I just agree and that's the end of it. It just isn't worth the time to debate about schools. They all have negative and positive aspects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or is it really annoying that some of these posts on here have to announce that they are from "one of the best pharmacy school"?
I was always under the assumption that as long as you were a good pharmacist it didn't matter where you went, since the ACCP sets what we have to learn anyways. I don't even know if I graduated from "one of the best" pharmacys schools, but I do know I'm in high debt from that school. :laugh:

So, since I didn't graduate from a prestigious school, I will always get passed over by someone who did graduate from a prestigious school? Where I live is only 2 pharmacy schools. Each one hates the other but neither is thought of as prestigious. However, not one person asks me on interview where I went.

Sorry to post, but I was getting annoyed reading some of these posts about being "at the best pharmacy school in the world"!!!

Unless you went to the University of Kansas you did not go to a prestigious school. Not everyone can go to the best school so you will be okay.

Unless you went to the University of Kansas you did not go to a prestigious school. Not everyone can go to the best school so you will be okay.
What kind of extracurriculars do they offer?... corn shucking comes to mind. What about ufo watching since it's in the middle of nowhere :p?

Most people outgrow "the best school" spiels pretty quickly. I pity those who don't. It doesn't play that big a role in pharmacy world (as opposed to law or MBA programs, for example), and in any profession which school you went to stops being anything other than a conversation piece after you have been out for a couple years. Your accopmplishments in postgraduation period (or lack thereof) will speak for themselves.

Most people outgrow "the best school" spiels pretty quickly. I pity those who don't. It doesn't play that big a role in pharmacy world (as opposed to law or MBA programs, for example), and in any profession which school you went to stops being anything other than a conversation piece after you have been out for a couple years. Your accopmplishments in postgraduation period (or lack thereof) will speak for themselves.

Someone who did not go to the "the best school".

This may seem like a pretentious defense, but I feel compelled to provide an alternative perspective to what many of you have written.

The notion of the "best schools" comes from having one of the most competitive applicants compiled together with the credo and resources of a major research institution. A lot schools have different focuses and visions of pharmacy - some schools treat students as a mill for retail, while others focus greatly on patient care and other various clinical applications; it's no secret. The resources that one can get at a major research university naturally shapes the types of students that the school selects for, as well as what the students can utilize during while under that program's tutelage. Some of our professors are of the very best minds and the actual creators of many ideas and concepts laid forth in academia. To be able to peak through and see how they have helped to change the profession and science is something that often draws them to universities to do research and find other like-minded individuals. To sit down with them and have coffee or even get an internship by getting to know these well connected individuals is invaluable. Again, this brings up the ubiquitous theme of resource access.

While it may not matter where you went to school when applying for a job at CVS, when it comes down to applying for highly desirable residency programs, academia, or perhaps industry experience - the name provides the much needed foot in the door to applicants. This is not to say that students from so-called "lower" universities cannot achieve the same result and that no students of comparable quality attend these institutions, but the point I'm trying to make lies in highlighting the fact that the average quality of students from "higher" schools tends to be more visible.

• Where you go to school doesn't mean anything. Nobody makes any decision of any import based on where someone went to school. Nobody chooses a doctor, lawyer, accountant, friend or spouse based on where that person went to school.
  • The difference in earnings from an elite or Ivy League university and a standard run of the mill college/university is ZERO over your lifetime.

A Name/Elite School only gets you a leg up for your first job. That's it. After that it's all up to you.

The notion of the "best schools" comes from having one of the most competitive applicants compiled together with the credo and resources of a major research institution.
Don't forget "best school" doctrine #3: "we are known for producing students that advance the profession of pharmacy".

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget "best school" doctrine #3: "we are known for producing students that advance the profession of pharmacy".

I hear that every day in some form or shape in my Pharmacy Care class. It kind of gets old after a while.

• Where you go to school doesn't mean anything. Nobody makes any decision of any import based on where someone went to school. Nobody chooses a doctor, lawyer, accountant, friend or spouse based on where that person went to school.
  • The difference in earnings from an elite or Ivy League university and a standard run of the mill college/university is ZERO over your lifetime.

A Name/Elite School only gets you a leg up for your first job. That's it. After that it's all up to you.

This is so absolutely not true! After 30 years, I just got a significant promotion due to my connections to my alumnus.

But - everyone will have their own opinion & you are welcome to yours.

However, as a previous poster mentioned, some schools will teach you to what is occuring right now in the profession. That limits & narrows your outlook.

The best schools will teach you tools (yeah & I'm not referring to the previous use of the word "tool") for the next 10 to 20 years.

You can be a "worker" or you can be a "creator" - we all do the work, but only some of us will work to creat the newer aspects of pharmacy care. The rest will follow - or not.

I've seen it for 30 years & have had it reinforced by seeing the most recent students from my school in actual practice. Its a mindset & one you don't create. Its a combination of the school finding those applicants who want to make changes & be contributors, even if they don't know what will occur 10 or 20 years from now.

I will agree with Hels though - if you don't do anything with the education you are presented with, you'll never go beyond the very basic pharmacist. If you go to a school which does not have the "prestige", you can make yourself outstanding on your own, but it won't be as easy as it might in a more well known school.

Finally, some of these schools with questionable rotations - just time-filling, labor using of students is not a good educational experience. That does not reflect an outstanding school nor will it give you a good recommendation or ability to utilize what you may have learned in an independent fashion without expicit direction.

The leaders of the profession - and the leaders can be that absolutely great community pharmacist in a small town, the NICU pharmacist in a tertiary care center or an industry liasion for investigational drug studies - those will be the pharmacists who have been trained for independent & assertive thinking with experience with many environments & exposure to multiple healthcare professionals. They are not always VP's, dops or clinical managers. Pharmaceutical care goes on everyday - but, not all of us do it well.

Thats just my opinion - being a graduate of one of those really good schools!

My oldest is in college and my youngest is a senior in high school. You can point out anecdotal evidence all you want. I have been to enough college fairs to have this garbage coming out of my ears. The fact of the matter is every single study shows that over a working life time, where you go to school has zero effect on your income.

And my first point is definitely true. Except for a subset of people known as *****s, nobody makes a decision on their doctor, lawyer, accountant, friend or spouse based on where they went to school. I never knew anyone who when fixed up on a blind date asked, does she go to an elite school. I don't know anyone asking about a doctor saying, I don't want to go to Dr X, I want a Yale doctor....

If you really think they passed over more qualified people and promoted you because of what school you went to 30 years ago well...... Santa Claus is coming to town..... and you work for a crappy company destined to fail. They promoted the most qualified person. You may think you were qualified because of where you went to school, I maintain your qualifications are based on your performance. The cream rises to the top.

You can point out anecdotal evidence all you want

For the sake of argument - isn't that what you're doing? You haven't exactly provided us with any logic behind your reasoning other than "this is the way it is" and that we're delusional for disagreeing with you.

i'll agree with the fact that you can advance yourself though connections to fellow alumni.

For the sake of argument - isn't that what you're doing? You haven't exactly provided us with any logic behind your reasoning other than "this is the way it is" and that we're delusional for disagreeing with you.

I don't have the studies, but they are out there. Lifetime earnings are not better for people who attend elite universities over lower tiered universities. Any college consultant will tell you that and provide the exact data. I'm just not privy to it.

The "better" school gets you a leg up for your first job, after that your performance determines your future.

That's what usually happens with Old Timer. You say something, it states some random idea against what you said and he calls you wrong. End of story.

I don't have the studies, but they are out there. Lifetime earnings are not better for people who attend elite universities over lower tiered universities. Any college consultant will tell you that and provide the exact data. I'm just not privy to it.

The "better" school gets you a leg up for your first job, after that your performance determines your future.

As someone who went to an ivy league caliber institution, I disagree with you with the idea of what that education can provide. Sure it might not have any correlation between earnings, but it's about the richness of the experience - not monetary comparisons. Too many students, including some of my friends here at the University of Michigan view college as just a means to becoming a pharmacist when in fact the education one gets can be worth so much more. The quality of my professors I've had at my undergraduate institution is worth every single dime I spent and the ability to interact with them was priceless. I wasn't lost in a sea of individuals, and every person I met was carefully shaped and selected by the admissions committee to bring together not only an academically strong student body, but also one that came from a variety of backgrounds of socioeconomic status and diversity. It helped to shape my personality, my career goals, and my academic interests by forcing me to be exposed to people and other academic interests that I would not have experienced out of my own volition. Not everyone has the ability to afford an education at these schools, nor does everyone want this environment, but to dismiss it without recognizing possible benefits of going to better schools is shortsighted.

As someone who went to an ivy league caliber institution, I disagree with you with the idea of what that education can provide. Sure it might not have any correlation between earnings, but it's about the richness of the experience - not monetary comparisons. Too many students, including some of my friends here at the University of Michigan view college as just a means to becoming a pharmacist when in fact the education one gets can be worth so much more. The quality of my professors I've had at my undergraduate institution is worth every single dime I spent and the ability to interact with them was priceless. I wasn't lost in a sea of individuals, and every person I met was carefully shaped and selected by the admissions committee to bring together not only an academically strong student body, but also one that came from a variety of backgrounds of socioeconomic status and diversity. It helped to shape my personality, my career goals, and my academic interests by forcing me to be exposed to people and other academic interests that I would not have experienced out of my own volition. Not everyone has the ability to afford an education at these schools, nor does everyone want this environment, but to dismiss it without recognizing possible benefits of going to better schools is shortsighted.

I did not deny you get a quality education at an elite university. I do not deny that the education itself may be superior. I made two points:

1) It has no effect on your life time earning potential compared to other colleges and universities.

2) Most people do not make a single important decision in their lives based on where someone important to them (Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, Friend, Spouse) went to college.

if its so prestigious why is this the first time I've ever heard of it :smuggrin:

I think you just proved what OldTimer is trying to say.

Despite your ivy league caliber education...your income as a pharmacist won't be much different than other pharmacist who did 2 years of JC and 2 years of state institution.

And to say your experience was better than others because of your "ivy league caliber education" is preposterous. Where ever you go in life, there are experiences and opportunities that can help shape who you are. Then again, it shouldn't be the school who shapes who you are. I would think that a person who becomes successful without having an ivy education would argue against your logic. And there are many.

Congrats on your ivy league caliber education. But don't ever think your experience was better than others...or walk around thinking that. After all, I can't imagine you're much better off than your classmates at Michigan who doesn't have "ivy league caliber" education.

Its a mindset & one you don't create.

I totally agree with this, especially when it comes to being a salesman. Yet, this implies that even if you go to one of the best schools you'll still just be you when all is said and done, so I don't put too much emphasis on school status. However, if the person hiring/promoting employees is biased towards a certain school then you definitely have an advantage if you went there. It's sad b/c it goes against the idea of the best person getting the job or promotion but this stuff exists.

As for what the OP was getting at I do find it annoying when someone starts out their post by saying they went to one of the best schools. Whether or not that can be supported with evidence or life experiences doesn't make these kinds of statements any less egotistical. It just takes some self awareness to realize that. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying, going to one of those schools doesn't make someone egotistical, it's just when they keep tooting their own horn about it as though they're better than their peers simply b/c of that difference that makes them egotistical.

This is so absolutely not true! After 30 years, I just got a significant promotion due to my connections to my alumnus.

So let me get this straight, you were promoted over more qualified applicants because of a college connection. Even if I believed your boss would weaken his store/company/department by promoting a less qualified person, all it proves is alumni help each other regardless of whether you go to an elite institution.

Ask Epic, who deals with DOP's all the time, if there is a correlation between quality of performance school attended. I am sure the answer will be no. But ask him...

The best directors I've worked with all went to USC... and most UCSF clinical pharmacists are neurotic... :smuggrin:

The things that make you a good pharmacist are not the things that aren't taught in lectures and books. A big part of the profession depends on how well you can communicate with patients and health care professionals. I've met some great pharmacists who did not go to "ivy caliber" universities.

I also don't see how someone who is still in school can comment on how where you go to school has helped them in the profession. You are not a pharmacist yet. When you get out in the working world, it is who you are and what you have accomplished that will get you further over where you went to school. I hope your school does not teach its students that everyone will kiss the ground they walk on because they went to U of M. Adjust the attitude before you get out of school and that will get you far.

The things that make you a good pharmacist are not the things that aren't taught in lectures and books. A big part of the profession depends on how well you can communicate with patients and health care professionals. I've met some great pharmacists who did not go to "ivy caliber" universities.

I also don't see how someone who is still in school can comment on how where you go to school has helped them in the profession. You are not a pharmacist yet. When you get out in the working world, it is who you are and what you have accomplished that will get you further over where you went to school. I hope your school does not teach its students that everyone will kiss the ground they walk on because they went to U of M. Adjust the attitude before you get out of school and that will get you far.

So sez a newb... :smuggrin: :p

But seriously...no one cares where you go to school.

The worst DOP I worked with is a product of KU. No lie...:smuggrin:

But don't worry...one of the best pharmacists I've worked with went to Kansas...

But seriously...no one cares where you go to school.

No I don't really care what school interns go...as long as they do my MUE data collection for me...

No I don't really care what school interns go...as long as they do my MUE data collection for me...

How's that working out for you?

The best directors I've worked with all went to USC... and most UCSF clinical pharmacists are neurotic... :smuggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:touche'!

I have to admit - I've never worked for an SC dop!

Neurosis - hmmmm.....I really didn't do a rotation at Langley Porter, so I might not recognize that if it bit me.

I am a bit obsessive about details - when labwork was drawn & such. But, I could care less about med rec forms!:smuggrin:

I think you just proved what OldTimer is trying to say.

Despite your ivy league caliber education...your income as a pharmacist won't be much different than other pharmacist who did 2 years of JC and 2 years of state institution.

And to say your experience was better than others because of your "ivy league caliber education" is preposterous. Where ever you go in life, there are experiences and opportunities that can help shape who you are. Then again, it shouldn't be the school who shapes who you are. I would think that a person who becomes successful without having an ivy education would argue against your logic. And there are many.

Congrats on your ivy league caliber education. But don't ever think your experience was better than others...or walk around thinking that. After all, I can't imagine you're much better off than your classmates at Michigan who doesn't have "ivy league caliber" education.

I don't think I follow your train of thought. You keep focusing on the irrelevent point of money - haven't we established that it's not a part of the argument? I can and do think that I received a better education than many of my peers. Does this mean I'm smarter than them? No. However, I was given more academic opportunities than other students that you have pointed out, and have been able to enjoy academic insights that are not available to many. My education was tailored specifically to me with my benefit in mind. Can you say that every other university has the same weighted considerations across the board? Consider the thousands of students out there who probably needed nurturing but could not find it at the local JC or state unviersity because of impacted undergraduate enrollment? Do you not agree? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not anywhere near the smartest student in my pharmacy class, but like you said - it doesn't matter because I made it to this point; my education made that possible.

I've met some great pharmacists who did not go to "ivy caliber" universities.
I completely agree. I've also met many successful individuals who did go to ivy caliber universities.

I also don't see how someone who is still in school can comment on how where you go to school has helped them in the profession.
It comes from tightly knit alumni across the nation that actively seek out other UofM pharmacy graduates. So much suspicion about loyalty!

My oldest is in college and my youngest is a senior in high school. You can point out anecdotal evidence all you want. I have been to enough college fairs to have this garbage coming out of my ears. The fact of the matter is every single study shows that over a working life time, where you go to school has zero effect on your income.

And my first point is definitely true. Except for a subset of people known as *****s, nobody makes a decision on their doctor, lawyer, accountant, friend or spouse based on where they went to school. I never knew anyone who when fixed up on a blind date asked, does she go to an elite school. I don't know anyone asking about a doctor saying, I don't want to go to Dr X, I want a Yale doctor....

If you really think they passed over more qualified people and promoted you because of what school you went to 30 years ago well...... Santa Claus is coming to town..... and you work for a crappy company destined to fail. They promoted the most qualified person. You may think you were qualified because of where you went to school, I maintain your qualifications are based on your performance. The cream rises to the top.

Old Timer - I'm a bit older than you with just a bit more experience in the "collegiate" educational sector perhaps. Its funny - drsdn & I didn't go to any college fairs with our kids - we mentored them ourselves. We've been there & done that so we knew what it took. What it took 30 years ago is the same as now, oddly enough!

My older is a third yr medical student & my younger is graduating from college & applying to grad schools. They are in as completly different fields as night & day.

Yes - where they went to college mattered & yep, where MSIII goes to medical school matters where she will get a chance at residencies. So - I guess our insight actually worked & did help.

Yep - I just hobnobed with the dean & a few of my alumni at my reunion last weekend. Yes - it does indeed matter. But, don't take my word - that is only what the administrators at my alumus spoke of - but, they're rumored to all be neurotic.;) I was never involved in residency or fellowship acceptances, but from our conversations.....interesting things came out. I've always spoken of what kind of student UCSF takes.....their expectations are different & they seek out those differences in applicants.

But, perhaps not at CVS. I surely don't know because I don't work for CVS. Other more qualified people were not passed over because of what my educational background gave me in my most recent change. My educational experience gave me more qualifications to pass over those who did not have them. There are pharmacists who have as many years of experience, but don't have the ability to "see" the opportunities & make them into a reality. That is what the difference in the schools provides.

I'm just so surprised you are so very, very certain of something your experience, which has been limited to retail which has only recently progressed into expanded services, might not have exposed you to.

If all a person wants is to stand at the counter & check rxs all day (or god forbid, pyxis!!!) - no......any school will do. I've done both of those things & it doesn't require much progressive nor independent thinking - just a good pharmaeutical knowledge. You can get that at most schools (I'd venture to say every school). But I am referring to something entirely different and it has absolutely nothing to do with income!

If you want to get the opportunities to advance beyond the boring jobs of the profession, you'll have a better opportunity if you go to those schools which give you the tools to help you expand not just your pharmaceutical knowledge, but also how to use it wisely, progressively & I'd even say boldly. I don't mean to imply your job is boring nor fulfilling. However, if you've never tried to implement or expand into a territory which has yet to be entered by pharmacists.....how would you know if those opportunities existed for you? You might have jumped on that immunization, MTM bandwagon - but, who were those folks who designed that?

Ask Epic how many dops he's had to bail out in the last 6 months.....he's educating interns on how to be better pharmacetical administrators. Now - ask yourself...if there are that many dops who have graduated & gotten these jobs - why is Epic so busy???? His interns are benefitting from his background - and he comes from a great background.....as do I. The great schools are not limited to UCSF (ok.....USC too:smuggrin:) - there are many across the country. But - they are just not all of them.

Curious! And.....oddly enough - an interesting topic for discussion last weekend!

Old Timer - I'm a bit older than you with just a bit more experience in the "collegiate" educational sector perhaps. Its funny - drsdn & I didn't go to any college fairs with our kids - we mentored them ourselves. We've been there & done that so we knew what it took. What it took 30 years ago is the same as now, oddly enough!

My older is a third yr medical student & my younger is graduating from college & applying to grad schools. They are in as completly different fields as night & day.

Are you sdn1977? I do miss you.:love:

First I want someone to refute my points:

1) Where you go to school does not make any difference in how much money you earn over a lifetime. That's the only point I made.

2) Nobody makes a decision in the real world based on where someone went to college. You don't pick your Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, friends, spouse based on where they went to school.

Finally, College fairs are about how to pay for college, not what school to go to. That was done "IN HOUSE" in our family as well.

I have never disputed that going to an elite medical school will help with a better residency. But five years after that, it's the better doctor that gets ahead, regardless of where he/she went to school. If that wasn't the case, all they would need to know when interviewing is your name and what school you graduated from.

Find me a list of any profession that correlates with better schools = more money. Look at Fortune Magazines list of the wealthiest Americans. Some of them dropped out of College, some of them never went to college and some of them went to non "elite" universities. Maybe the only list would be this years Nobel Prize winners.

Epic did weigh and and he agreed with me about the value of an "Elite" University. He did not answer the question about the relationship between quality and type of school.

p.s. I wondered where you had been....

I'll take on 2)
A small representation of where school matters (that at least I can think of anyways at the top of my head with a clear correlation): if you look at a list of all the top investment banking positions and especially internships, a vast majority of those hired come from elite schools. The firms go to those schools specifically to recruit.

Are you sdn1977? I do miss you.:love:

I do agree, her writing style & length seems to be similar with sdn1977....

And sdn1977's last post is about October 25, the join date of pharmacogenomic is November 4...

I'll take on 2)
A small representation of where school matters (that at least I can think of anyways at the top of my head with a clear correlation): if you look at a list of all the top investment banking positions and especially internships, a vast majority of those hired come from elite schools. The firms go to those schools specifically to recruit.

You're not in investment banking...nor a top investement banker. Now, if we were talking about investment banking, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But in the field of pharmacy, pharmaceutical industry doesn't go to top pharmacy schools to recruit. Night and day.

And a tight knit network of alumni doesn't mean anything unless you're qualified to do the work. If you think being a U of M alumni is going to get you far because of your network... oh never mind.

By the way, which Ivy school did you go to?

I'll take on 2)

First let me point out that I agree with your statement. It does help to go to an elite school for your FIRST opportunity. Big law firms, accounting firms, investment banking firms will look there first. NO question. Over the long term it's what you do. If you go to Yale Law School and you are a mediocre lawyer, the Yale Law degree doesn't mean squat. It's what you do in the world.

Now, where we disagree. You are misreading #2. What I am saying is you do not choose who your:
  • Doctor
  • Lawyer
  • Accountant
  • Friends
  • Spouse
are based on where they went to school. Yes, you are a lovely and attractive woman, but I want someone who went to Harvard. Does anybody think that way? If you are looking for a physician, do you seek out your physician based on where they graduated from medical school?

I'm sorry Dr. Jarvik, I want my artificial hear from someone who went to Harvard and you only went to Syracuse University and the Utah School of Medicine.

And skip the Polio Vaccines that were discovered by Salk (City College of New York and New York Medical School) and Sabin (New York University)

People excel based on their own merits, not where they went to school. Are their advantages to attending an elite school, yes, but they are ephemeral and transitory and don't account for much in the scheme of life.

BTW, George W. Bush went to Yale.

And when you die and people come to mourn you. Is it really important they say:

We come to mourn evilolive, Phi Bet kappa at an Elite University. I think they will talk about the kind of person you were, the life you lived and things you accomplished. Were you a good person? Did you love? Were you loved. This is what is really important in life.

I do agree, her writing style & length seems to be similar with sdn1977....

And sdn1977's last post is about October 25, the join date of pharmacogenomic is November 4...

sssssshhhhhh!;):p!

First I want someone to refute my points:

1) Where you go to school does not make any difference in how much money you earn over a lifetime. That's the only point I made.

2) Nobody makes a decision in the real world based on where someone went to college. You don't pick your Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, friends, spouse based on where they went to school.

Finally, College fairs are about how to pay for college, not what school to go to. That was done "IN HOUSE" in our family as well.

I have never disputed that going to an elite medical school will help with a better residency. But five years after that, it's the better doctor that gets ahead, regardless of where he/she went to school. If that wasn't the case, all they would need to know when interviewing is your name and what school you graduated from.

Find me a list of any profession that correlates with better schools = more money. Look at Fortune Magazines list of the wealthiest Americans. Some of them dropped out of College, some of them never went to college and some of them went to non "elite" universities. Maybe the only list would be this years Nobel Prize winners.

Epic did weigh and and he agreed with me about the value of an "Elite" University. He did not answer the question about the relationship between quality and type of school.

p.s. I wondered where you had been....

Oh - I'm here.....always have been. You've just not been in the right circles enough to know:laugh:.

Ok - I'll refute some of your points. #1 - you stated that was your only point - that was not, but we'll give you a pass on that. But, let's get to the point itself - where you go to school will correlate with how much you earn over a lifetime. You may be right, but thats irrelevant. That was not the OP's frustration. Reading back over the OP's initial frustration, he/she spoke of all graduates were good no matter where they went (I agreed, but pointed out they might not become great in those areas which did not specifically mentor & encourage things beyond pharmaceutical knowledge).

For the sake of paragraphs, the OP also was frustrated over the possibility of getting passed over for someone from a prestigious school. I pointed out that could indeed be true. I've only got my own experience, which spans 30 years - anecetotal, but still there. But, I've also got the observations of colleagues I've worked with over that length of time. It does happen, but not uniformly. I have many colleagues who have not graduated from prestigious pharmacy schools, yet have moved far ahead just because of what they have done in the last 30 years professionally. It might have been harder for them than me, but they have done it. Likewise, I've got some of my own classmates who are still in a hospital basement checking pyxis fills - thats their choice & they like it. Its all about the choice of what you do with what is given to you as an opportunity.l

So - you brought up money - not the OP. If money is what you want to turn this conversation into - start your own thread!

Point #2 -- Yes - I did pick my spouse based on where he went to school. We went to the same school (altho he chose a different doctoral program) & lived in the same building. Had fate not chosen us to go to the school at the same time in the same place - I'd not have married him. Do you think I'd have married a USC dentist - god forbid!!!!:eek: (he was accepted there too - inside joke!). We also were at the same undergraduate school at the same time, but didn't know each other - its a big....oh & yes, well known school.

Actually, I do pick my doctors based on where they went to school. Yep - I do look at their "pedigree" & make my choice based on that. Sure - there jerks everywhere, but I did pick ob/gyns, pediatricians (thank god I'm past that!), internists, & unfortunately - neurologists & neurosurgeons. I must respectfully disagree with you again - five years after a residency.....I don't care how "ahead" that physician is (again - you get back to money) - I care how well versed they are in what my ailment or well-care requires. Drsdn graduated from a great dental school, but one of our closest friends graduated from a different dental school - still prestigious, well known & well respected. He is far more financially well off than we are - why? Because drsdn & I made a choice long, long ago on what kind of a life we wanted, thus what kind of a practice he would have (a long story for a different time). Earned income over a lifetime is a different topic entirely - again!

For the OP - this thread has gone off topic into money. Perhaps because you spoke of debt. I can appreciate debt - my education was so long ago it was just a fraction of what yours costs. But, I've paid for two college educations for children, part of one medical school (she's getting some loans as well) & looking to another graduate program for the other...so I understand something of what you think about.

But, over time, this debt will seem small. It is debt which allows you to make that living which will allow you to proceed with your life. The debt you incur for buying a house, cars, having children & god-forbid, paying for a significant illness or injury (yep - been there - again...that long story I spoke of) - will make this education debt small in comparison.

But, I'm speaking from years of experience. I know my kids well enough to know you probably think just like them, and discount what folks like Old Timer, Epic & I (oh...even sdn1977;)) say. We know you need to go out & live your own lives, make your own mistakes & choices - yep...on your own. You also need to vent your frustrations - which is a good thing right here.

Will what school you go to make a difference? Yes - if you choose to do nothing other than just go there then expect the world to fall in your lap.

Will a graduate of UCSF, UNC, (ok.....we'll include USC, but just for epics sake:smuggrin:) or any of the other well known & prestigious schools automatically get you opportunities if you do nothing other than just go - just like the other student? No - that name automatically will not get you getter opportunities.

For both, you must go on & reach out & beyond what you get pharmaceutically. Some of the more prestigious schools actually incorporate that into their curriculum. Some of the other schools will not, so you'll have to work harder to get it. But, hard work will pay off.

You have your lifetime making this education be valuable for you. Think beyond what it costs - if you can. Try to reach out & think what your education might do for the public & the profession....not you. If you can do that - you will be able to compete successfully with every graduate from every program across the country. That may not translate into a high paying job, but it most definitely will translate into professional satisfaction.

For some of us, success is measured by things other than money. That does not mean those who measure it by money are wrong - its a choice they make & they will move to jobs which will make the most money.

But, that is why you see others who choose to work in areas with lower pay - because their measure of success is different. I worked for >20 years in hospitals full time. It sometimes paid more, now it is paying less than ambulatory. The pay was never the reason I did/do it - it is the professional satisfaction.

Now - these years, while you're in school will allow you to freely (well - not so free financially) experience as many aspects of the profession as they are able to give you. While you are young & have fewer obligations, experience as much as you can & find the path which will meet your measure of success.

I do agree with Old Timer - as you get older, your reflection on your life comes back to what you valued & defined as success. The choices drsdn & I made certainly changed our fianacial success, but allowed us that balance of professional success & personal happiness which was important to us.

You, over these next years, will find your own.

Good luck, enjoy the profession, and become a great pharmacist who gives all your patients, colleagues & other healthcare folks the very best of what you can professionally.

If you are looking for a physician, do you seek out your physician based on where they graduated from medical school?

I'm sorry Dr. Jarvik, I want my artificial hear from someone who went to Harvard and you only went to Syracuse University and the Utah School of Medicine.
If I were getting an artificial heart or neurosurgery, I would want my doctor to have gone to Harvard :(

And when you die and people come to mourn you. Is it really important they say:

We come to mourn evilolive, Phi Bet kappa at an Elite University. I think they will talk about the kind of person you were, the life you lived and things you accomplished. Were you a good person? Did you love? Were you loved. This is what is really important in life.

As amusing as your analogy was, it's still an irrelevent point to the argument (most of which was driven by playing the devil's advocate). Please don't assume to understand my life and mock my values.

BTW, George W. Bush went to Yale.
The days of old money are dwindling among elite university admissions. Also, GW isn't operating on my heart, he has something less important to do, like oh, running my country...

If you think being a U of M alumni is going to get you far because of your network... oh never mind.
And yes, I do, and I will get far. The same goes with my collegiate network. I will eventually be a fantastic clinician, but I know where to pay my dues. The reason why I say this is because I see it happen all the time.

And yes, I do, and I will get far. The same goes with my collegiate network. I will eventually be a fantastic clinician, but I know where to pay my dues. The reason why I say this is because I see it happen all the time.

Oh well... I guess that's why I haven't made it very far... I didn't go to Michigan..