Annoyed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
goldenretriever, the point of my position was not to provide something for you to shoot at because of how grossly "arrogant" I am, but rather to point out an inconvenient truth that permeates our educational system. It is not a politically correct notion in a sensitive ideal world - you can shoot the messanger if you wish, but have you taken the time to dissect what I am saying? Most of what you have written supports my assertions. No one disputes the fact that life isn't fair, but it is far too easy, too righteous to label me as the ignorant, the proud, the black and white choices and opinions because they don't mesh with your ideals. I am an idealist, but I am not perfect and have my bias in pragmatism. When considering a response to our discussions here, I ask you not to fall prey to bandwagon assumptions, as you know that you are a beneficiary of the resources at your pharmacy school as you previously mentioned. Admittedly, I am tired of discussing this subject because it has brought more frustration of others looking down on me as a response to the assumption that I am looking down on them, which was hardly what I wanted. Before you write more negative things about me as you have done in other threads, I wanted to let you know that I'm always willing to peer into the other side of the looking glass to gain new perspectives. Are you?

Members don't see this ad.

The fundamental problem is for the vast majority of pharmacists pedigree is a side notion, but not overly important.

Academia, and to an extent I'd lump a lot of cutting edge Clinical work, is different. Pretentious as it might be, it's like royalty, it does matter which crotch your yanked from. And there's a lot of wisdom in keeping things that way. A great mind in a vacuum isn't nearly as powerful when there are several great minds together. Ironically for all their intelligence, this intellectual pedigree can easily lead them to bigotry. One must work significantly harder to reach a goal if they aren't pulled from the crotch of the "vogue" institution. (My assumption is that the math and IT symposiums I've gone to aren't vastly different from other intellectual gatherings. The couple non-math/IT related ones haven't lead me to believe otherwise, but at 2 it's not a significant number.)

I'm curious SDN77, since in some ways you brought it up. Would you have gone to the 3 aforementioned surgeons if they studied at middle-upper middle tier Med school but did their residencies at a top 3 institution? I will stipulate that it's possible they might not have come up with the surgery, but seeing the number of people that didn't go to a primo institution but have developed useful inventions/ideas, let's agree that the chances split evenly.

goldenretriever, the point of my position was not to provide something for you to shoot at because of how grossly "arrogant" I am, but rather to point out an inconvenient truth that permeates our educational system. It is not a politically correct notion in a sensitive ideal world - you can shoot the messanger if you wish, but have you taken the time to dissect what I am saying? Most of what you have written supports my assertions. No one disputes the fact that life isn't fair, but it is far too easy, too righteous to label me as the ignorant, the proud, the black and white choices and opinions because they don't mesh with your ideals. I am an idealist, but I am not perfect and have my bias in pragmatism. When considering a response to our discussions here, I ask you not to fall prey to bandwagon assumptions, as you know that you are a beneficiary of the resources at your pharmacy school as you previously mentioned. Admittedly, I am tired of discussing this subject because it has brought more frustration of others looking down on me as a response to the assumption that I am looking down on them, which was hardly what I wanted. Before you write more negative things about me as you have done in other threads, I wanted to let you know that I'm always willing to peer into the other side of the looking glass to gain new perspectives. Are you?

For those who are struggling with the frustration of others looking down on you as a response to the consequences of your comments, I suggest that you find ways to help your colleagues and fellow pharmacy students (even those from other schools) by providing useful insight, networking/sharing information, and helping others to succeed- instead of analyzing discrepancies in education, resources, and career opportunities. By simply pointing out the "inconvenient truth" and not offering useful solutions, one is not only being unhelpful but also divisive for the pharmacy community.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fundamental problem is for the vast majority of pharmacists pedigree is a side notion, but not overly important.

Academia, and to an extent I'd lump a lot of cutting edge Clinical work, is different. Pretentious as it might be, it's like royalty, it does matter which crotch your yanked from. And there's a lot of wisdom in keeping things that way. A great mind in a vacuum isn't nearly as powerful when there are several great minds together. Ironically for all their intelligence, this intellectual pedigree can easily lead them to bigotry. One must work significantly harder to reach a goal if they aren't pulled from the crotch of the "vogue" institution. (My assumption is that the math and IT symposiums I've gone to aren't vastly different from other intellectual gatherings. The couple non-math/IT related ones haven't lead me to believe otherwise, but at 2 it's not a significant number.)

I'm curious SDN77, since in some ways you brought it up. Would you have gone to the 3 aforementioned surgeons if they studied at middle-upper middle tier Med school but did their residencies at a top 3 institution? I will stipulate that it's possible they might not have come up with the surgery, but seeing the number of people that didn't go to a primo institution but have developed useful inventions/ideas, let's agree that the chances split evenly.

Just to illustrate KUMoose's point- One of the top neonatologists in San Francisco is a trained in Australia. He gets NIH funding and is an expert in birth defects and fetal treatment (before babies are born!) His title is "MB/BS". His title doesn't officialy say "MD" and didn't go to Harvard Med, but is nonetheless skilled and one of the best doctors to take care of a sick baby.

makeitstopto3.jpg