Anticipating interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EatingPsych17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

While I wait to hear back from the schools I have applied to (both PhD and PsyD), I thought I might distract myself by preparing for possible interviews. I am prepared to answer questions about my educational, research, and clinical experiences, as well as read bios and articles written by faculty members. What I am mostly worried about are questions that will throw me off. What are some questions that you were not expecting/prepared for? I remember during my M.A. interview I was asked to describe a psychological theories throughout history and my opinion of them! I embarrassingly muttered my way through, but I sure know how to answer that one now. Additionally, what are some questions and topics that should be avoided?

Thank you in advance for any input! I think this will be the most nerve wrecking step in the application process for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I figured I'd share some unique/ unexpected questions I got although you may not get asked these. At a well-known psyd program I was asked to tell the interviewer a joke. Several programs asked me how someone else would describe me. This is a good time to maybe acknowledge that you are not perfect but no need to go over the top. I was also asked what I believe the underlying mechanism of change in therapy is. Finally, I was asked to discuss a time I was shock/hurt by feedback I received and how I handled it. I'm sure there are lots more but that's a few

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I figured I'd share some unique/ unexpected questions I got although you may not get asked these. At a well-known psyd program I was asked to tell the interviewer a joke. Several programs asked me how someone else would describe me. This is a good time to maybe acknowledge that you are not perfect but no need to go over the top. I was also asked what I believe the underlying mechanism of change in therapy is. Finally, I was asked to discuss a time I was shock/hurt by feedback I received and how I handled it. I'm sure there are lots more but that's a few

I love the idea of telling a joke. Do you remember what joke you told them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh gosh it was a joke about the periodic table. I cracked myself up trying to get it out because it was so bad ...but I think it was entertaining for the interviewer. I got an offer from them so at least it wasn't a deal breaker.

Most of my questions were program and interest-area related but I also got asked "You have an unlimited budget and access to any population you'd like - design a study and tell me about it." That one was intense but fun to answer (and it was by a faculty member who was not my POI!). I was also asked if there was a population I wouldn't feel comfortable evaluating/treating. I also got something along the lines of "So... why don't you just apply to your home university" (and suggesting that they wanted to know if I DID apply); that one (I've been told) wasn't fair, but needless to say I was asked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most of my questions were program and interest-area related but I also got asked "You have an unlimited budget and access to any population you'd like - design a study and tell me about it." That one was intense but fun to answer (and it was by a faculty member who was not my POI!). I was also asked if there was a population I wouldn't feel comfortable evaluating/treating. I also got asked a question about why I wouldn't stay at my home university... that one (I've been told) wasn't fair, but needless to say I was asked.

Yep, the program I am at asked me to design a study as well.

Reactions: 1 user
One possibility to prepare for:

Think about your dream (no financial or logistical barriers) research project.
And then think about how you could do a version of it with reality in mind. :)

ETA: oops, someone else wrote this while I was writing the reply. Definitely prepare for this one!

Most of my questions were program and interest-area related but I also got asked "You have an unlimited budget and access to any population you'd like - design a study and tell me about it." That one was intense but fun to answer (and it was by a faculty member who was not my POI!). I was also asked if there was a population I wouldn't feel comfortable evaluating/treating. I also got something along the lines of "So... why don't you just apply to your home university" (and suggesting that they wanted to know if I DID apply); that one (I've been told) wasn't fair, but needless to say I was asked.

Maybe I'm a little behind here, but why would this be a underhanded or "unfair" question? I want to be ready for it if I'm missing out on something..

Related to the last question.....People usually apply to more than one program. I was informed that schools should not ask what other schools you applied to. Clearly, the question above was asked in part to find out if the person applied to their home school. I was never asked by an interviewer and in general agree that they should not ask you this. It puts the interviewee in an awkward position. However, I was asked by the current students during many interviews what schools I applied to. They usually said they were "just curious".

Related to the last question.....People usually apply to more than one program. I was informed that schools should not ask what other schools you applied to. Clearly, the question above was asked in part to find out if the person applied to their home school. I was never asked by an interviewer and in general agree that they should not ask you this. It puts the interviewee in an awkward position. However, I was asked by the current students during many interviews what schools I applied to. They usually said they were "just curious".

Also looking to see consistency in application approach (e.g., applying to UCLA, UCSD/SDSU, University of Arizona vs. UCLA, CalSouthern, Alliant)

Maybe I'm a little behind here, but why would this be a underhanded or "unfair" question? I want to be ready for it if I'm missing out on something..

To echo what Wendi said, it was phrased in a way that was essentially asking if I applied to the program and some say that they shouldn't ask you where you applied. Basically, "did you apply to where you are at now because I'm suspecting that you did and if you did, will you choose them over everyone else?" I answered the question but the program I am in now strongly encourages us not to ask questions about where applicants have applied.