Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got less than a 27 MCAT.

5 MD interviews.
5 DO interviews.

6 interviews attended.
5 acceptances.
1 interview result pending.

:)

That's amazingly stellar. I got 2 md interviews (IS&OOS), one acceptance from state md program. I withdrew from DO programs when accepted because of application cost for one thing and my state program being cheaper. I applied to about 35 schools both programs on all 3 apps with AAMC fap. Still waiting on other decision. I have a 22, so stats are not always everything.

Members don't see this ad.

That's amazingly stellar. I got 2 md interviews (IS&OOS), one acceptance from state md program. I withdrew from DO programs when accepted because of application cost for one thing and my state program being cheaper. I applied to about 35 schools both programs on all 3 apps with AAMC fap. Still waiting on other decision. I have a 22, so stats are not always everything.

Congratulations bro. This thread is proof that numbers don't mean everything.

Hello all, I don't post much but I hope my story can help inspire someone.

I knew I wanted to be a doc for a while but after 3 MCAT attempts fluctuating between 19-22 I thought US MD schools were out of the question. I took it a 4th time and now I'm finally applying:

19R (7B 5V 7P) -> 3 attempts later
28Q (10B 9V 9P)

BS Human Biology, 3.5 yrs total
3.7 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA cum laude, honors college, Michigan State Univ.
- founded a student organization
- volunteered with Ronald McDonald Charity Houses of Lansing, Boston, Miami for 7 years
- shadowed abt a dozen docs

- 1 yr Anesthesia research paid internship - Harvard Med led to a publication

- 2 yr Neurosurgery research fellow - Univ of Miami - publications and an FDA approved phase I clinical trial for paralysis in humans

Landed 2 MD interviews in Florida and 1 acceptance so far. My secondaries were complete by around October - November.

For all you multiple MCAT test takers out there - don't give up!
For all you 28'ers, just manage to meet their thresholds and you're good.
For all you late applicants, there's still hope!

Good luck everyone!

Awesome! Congrats on the USF acceptance as well!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm happy for you! It looks like most of us 7/6ers faired pretty well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Love reading all the inspirational stories on this thread. :thumbup: Congrats to everyone with their acceptances.

Just to add mine I suppose... I decided to apply before I had taken the MCAT - so I chose all my schools (only four actually) on AMCAS before I got my scores back. (Yes, I know. Bad idea.)

Stats: 26R MCAT / 3.82 cGPA / 3.73 sGPA

Though the other three were poor choices based on my stats, during my application cycle I realized I really preferred to attend my state school anyway.

Arkansas gives interviews to all in-state applicants. So getting the interview means close to nothing. But a couple of weeks ago, I got an acceptance letter, which of course means everything. :)

Love reading all the inspirational stories on this thread. :thumbup: Congrats to everyone with their acceptances.

Just to add mine I suppose... I decided to apply before I had taken the MCAT - so I chose all my schools (only four actually) on AMCAS before I got my scores back. (Yes, I know. Bad idea.)

Stats: 26R MCAT / 3.82 cGPA / 3.73 sGPA

Though the other three were poor choices based on my stats, during my application cycle I realized I really preferred to attend my state school anyway.

Arkansas gives interviews to all in-state applicants. So getting the interview means close to nothing. But a couple of weeks ago, I got an acceptance letter, which of course means everything. :)
:highfive: Way to go! You should come join the c/o 2017 thread. ;) Fair warning, we're a bunch of weirdos and profligate posters.

2 DO interviews
1 MD interview (IS)

3 acceptances

28R / 3.73 GPA / 3.58 sGPA

It can be done! :)

3.78/3.75/28

3 MD IIs, 3 DO IIs.
1 DO Accept, withdrew from the other two because I liked it.
2 MD waitlist, 1 MD withdrawal because I had second thoughts about it.

95% sure goin' DO and not lookin back. I really like the school I got into. Haters gonna hate. :soexcited:

Do have my fingers crossed for an interview with one MD school I liked that hasn't rejected me yet, but this late in the cycle it's probably not likely to happen haha.

27S 3.79s 3.79ns

3 DO invites
-1 Acceptance
-1 Withdraw after interview
-1 denied invite

1 MD invite (state school)
.....waiting anxiously....

Last edited:
Okay, here's my final tally (I'm not a URM, but did have a disadvantaged past and qualify as a diverse applicant):

29Q (10BS 10VR 9PS) AMCAS cGPA 3.76 & sGPA 3.66 AACOMAS cGPA 3.78 & sGPA 3.76

5 MD interviews
4 MD acceptances
1 MD waitlist (withdrew)
3 DO invites
1 DO acceptance & scholarship (withdrew)
2 DO invites withdrawn

First application season (2011-2012):

23O (8BS 7PS 8VR) AMCAS cGPA 3.82 sGPA 3.8

2 MD invites
1 MD rejection
1 MD waitlist (never made it in, obviously)

So, tenacity pays off peeps! Hang in there and reapply if you don't succeed this year. I ended up getting in my very top choice that I wasn't even able to apply to during the first year. It all worked out for the best in my case. I'm so darn happy. Good luck! :luck:

P.S. Don't forget to ask questions for the Fireside chat!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here's my story:

28M, cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.8

3 MD II's (one IS and two OOS)
2 WL
1 acceptance!! Top Choice!!

Yay Yay!!

Keep your spirits up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm applying this coming cycle, and I've been keeping up with this thread since I received my MCAT score of 29. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this thread and the people here more so than any other discussion on SDN. I'm graduating from a top 20 school with a 3.85c/s gpa and my MCAT breakdown is 9VR/10PS/10BS. If it weren't for this thread, I was going to retake my MCATs (since everyone at my school has ridiculously high standards) but I figured the best thing to do was to apply early and broadly. I just wanted to see what my fellow 27-29ers thought of my chances of getting into an allopathic school and possibly recommend some schools that are OOS and low-MCAT friendly. More of my stats/ECs can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1003368. Thanks in advance and congrats to all you who made it with a sub 30!!! Mad respect.

26 R

1 MD interview, 1 MD acceptance

Last edited:
this thread is like the opposite of what are my chances. anybody else feel depressed after reading stellar stats on what are my chances. lol

this thread is like the opposite of what are my chances. anybody else feel depressed after reading stellar stats on what are my chances. lol

agreed. Its the same neurotic people "oh no, I got a 3.98 with a 40 on my MCAT and 12902190237 hrs of research...Am i gonna make it?" LOL

most of these seem to be DO schools though

Update from when I posted wayyyyy back when.

29 MCAT (11PS/8V/10BS), 3.7 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, BME major

5 MD II
Attended 4
3 Acceptances
1 Waitlist

For all of you freaking out about your MCAT score, remember that it isn't all about your numbers. If you can build a strong application around your research, volunteering, and/or leadership, apply early and apply broadly, and you will get in!! Good luck!

Update from when I posted wayyyyy back when.

29 MCAT (11PS/8V/10BS), 3.7 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, BME major

5 MD II
Attended 4
3 Acceptances
1 Waitlist

For all of you freaking out about your MCAT score, remember that it isn't all about your numbers. If you can build a strong application around your research, volunteering, and/or leadership, apply early and apply broadly, and you will get in!! Good luck!
37-atlg.jpg

Mmmmm, nanner cakes.

+1 on the above content, too

Hey all,

I, like many of you, have fallen into the category of 27-29 MCAT and only disappointed because I was consistanly scoring 30 or 31 on AAMC practice tests, but I digress. I wanted to ask if anyone out there has gotten interviews with a 7 in any of the sections. I ended up with a 7 PS, 10 V, 10 BS --> 27. I am concerned because it is below an 8, which is something most schools can stomach if the rest of the applicant is good, but idk about a 7. I'm just looking for some hope out there. Congrats to everyone getting interviews and acceptances!

Hey all,

I, like many of you, have fallen into the category of 27-29 MCAT and only disappointed because I was consistanly scoring 30 or 31 on AAMC practice tests, but I digress. I wanted to ask if anyone out there has gotten interviews with a 7 in any of the sections. I ended up with a 7 PS, 10 V, 10 BS --> 27. I am concerned because it is below an 8, which is something most schools can stomach if the rest of the applicant is good, but idk about a 7. I'm just looking for some hope out there. Congrats to everyone getting interviews and acceptances!

I think it really depends on the state and your background. White or Asian and from CA? You're out of luck. From a small state with a state school that doesn't accept OOS students? You might be okay. Good luck!

I think it really depends on the state and your background. White or Asian and from CA? You're out of luck. From a small state with a state school that doesn't accept OOS students? You might be okay. Good luck!

This is very true. Its state dependent. I've got a pretty MCAT forgiving state MD school and I wouldnt have gotten into MD without that fact...

Hey all,

I found that having a 7 in one of the MCAT categories was somewhat difficult to manage when applying, but there are a lot of schools that take more into consideration than cold, calculated formulas involving your MCAT score and GPA.

I applied to 27 schools all MD, had 3 interviews, and in the end was accepted at all 3 (one in state and two on the east coast).

Here are my stats if interested:
CA Resident, Asian, Female
GPA 3.75 from UC, Science 3.70
MCAT 29 (11 PS, 7 V, 11 BS)

So it is possible. I recommend that you apply early and broadly.

Haha thanks for putting it bluntly. I'm from a small town in rural Midwest (a medically underserved area), the first person in my entire family to go to college, I have a Master's degree, was a Division I athlete, other nice EC's and I am an under represented minority. I know I could've done better, but I've taken the MCAT more than once (long story) and I really just did not want to deal with it again because I have to work to support myself and pay for my loans. I'm applying to some DO schools too, but I was just curious if anyone else out there had success. Thanks for your input :)

I found that having a 7 in one of the MCAT categories was somewhat difficult to manage when applying, but there are a lot of schools that take more into consideration than cold, calculated formulas involving your MCAT score and GPA.

I applied to 27 schools all MD, had 3 interviews, and in the end was accepted at all 3 (one in state and two on the east coast).

Yeah, that's what my advisor said too, but I'm only applying to 4 MD schools (one is where I earned my Master's) and then 10 DO schools. Submitted my apps first day so I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for your input and congrats on your success :)

I, too, had a 7 VR and similar GPA and it didn't turn out to be a problem for me at all. I had 8 interviews and didn't find it difficulty at all to manage the 7. I think ti's a bigger issue if it's a 7 in the sciences, but I'm just assuming. No one ever even brought it up! for me I did have ECs that I was passionate about 4 years of college and a gap year devoted to it, if that matters.

I, too, had a 7 VR and similar GPA and it didn't turn out to be a problem for me at all. I had 8 interviews and didn't find it difficulty at all to manage the 7. I think ti's a bigger issue if it's a 7 in the sciences, but I'm just assuming. No one ever even brought it up! for me I did have ECs that I was passionate about 4 years of college and a gap year devoted to it, if that matters.

Addy: Congrats on your success! Yeah, to add to my original post. I also took a gap year after graduating from undergrad and devoted time to extra-curriculars that I was interested in, committed to, and passionate about.

Pilot: In case you feel like adding a couple more MD schools to your amcas ap, I was accepted to vcu, vermont, and uc Davis in that order and am matriculating to uc Davis. Both vcu and vermont are receptive to oos applicants and those who are non traditional applicants or took a gap year. Based on my interview experience and the other applicants that I talked with while there, it seems as if vcu likes those with clinical experience. For instance, there were a handful in my interview group that were scribes. At vermont, I was asked about my 7 in verbal but the interviewer followed it by saying that both my science scores were above what they had scored. At vermont, I was told at the interview that there is no particular forumula that they follow when choosing applicants. In fact they had us go around the room and introduce ourselves. There was a lawyer, physical therapist, and many other people from various backgrounds. The main thing that I took away from my time there was that they seem to be looking for maturity and diversity (something different that you would be able to bring to the table). Hopes this helps.

I'm applying this season. Thanks to everyone who has posted here over the years. You all have served as inspiration and have helped immensely in choosing schools to apply to.

My stats:
27 MCAT, (7p, 10v, 10b)
3.78 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA
Better than average ECs
Applying broad and early to both MD and DO schools.

In the spirit of contribution, I'll update as the season goes on. Good luck to everyone.

I'm applying this season. Thanks to everyone who has posted here over the years. You all have served as inspiration and have helped immensely in choosing schools to apply to.

My stats:
27 MCAT, (7p, 10v, 10b)
3.78 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA
Better than average ECs
Applying broad and early to both MD and DO schools.

In the spirit of contribution, I'll update as the season goes on. Good luck to everyone.
crystal_ball_seer.gif

Accepted! :) GL :luck:

Thanks to everyone who has posted here over the years and congrats; it's definitely giving me a lot of hope! Do you mind if I ask if any of you guys who got in with a 27-29 were NOT URMs?

Thanks to everyone who has posted here over the years and congrats; it's definitely giving me a lot of hope! Do you mind if I ask if any of you guys who got in with a 27-29 were NOT URMs?

I'm non URM. Got in MD with a 26.

Check out my MDApps.
<---------- 29 MCAT non-URM, 4 MD acceptances, 1 MD waitlist, and accepted to the only DO I kept post withdrawing from a crap ton of schools after my first MD acceptance. I also landed both MD and DO scholarships.

Not only can it be done, it can be done well! GL everyone

Check out my MDApps.
<---------- 29 MCAT non-URM, 4 MD acceptances, 1 MD waitlist, and accepted to the only DO I kept post withdrawing from a crap ton of schools after my first MD acceptance. I also landed both MD and DO scholarships.

Not only can it be done, it can be done well! GL everyone

Wow, awesome! And congratulations :)

non-urm here....accepted to my state allopathic school

Last edited:
Not sure when I last updated, 25s mcat 7-8-10
1 DO acceptance
1 MD acceptance (state)
And I turned down my second DO invite for interview after MD acceptance.

It can be done my friends!!! Cast your net, even if it has some holes- who knows what you might catch.

Not sure when I last updated, 25s mcat 7-8-10
1 DO acceptance
1 MD acceptance (state)
And I turned down my second DO invite for interview after MD acceptance.

It can be done my friends!!! Cast your net, even if it has some holes- who knows what you might catch.

deep

I'm applying this cycle; 27 MCAT (9/9/9) with a 3.78 cGPA and 3.74 sGPA. I submitted early June and finished all the secondaries soon after. I'm a TX resident applying to all TX schools, hopefully I can land a couple interviews. Wish the rest of you applying this cycle the best of luck!

I have a 3.95 sGPA and 3.91 cGPA with an mcat score of 27 (9 9 9). I am going to apply this round and hope for the best. I am applying both MD and DO. Fingers crossed! Thanks for giving me hope you guys :)

Can I ask where all you're applying to?

3.8 cGPA/sGPA, 29 MCAT (12 PS/8 VR/9 BS), non-URM, PA resident.

Quinnipiac
George Washington
Rush
U Louisville
Cooper of Rowan
NYMC
U Toledo
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
The Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Medical College of Wisconsin

Plus a little over a dozen DO schools.

Can finally share on this thread. Non URM. 27 MCAT, 3.89 cum and 3.79 sci GPA.

5 MD interviews
3 MD acceptances
2 waitlists, which I may end up getting off eitherway

Good Luck, and Don't stop believen!

Can finally share on this thread. Non URM. 27 MCAT, 3.89 cum and 3.79 sci GPA.

5 MD interviews
3 MD acceptances
2 waitlists, which I may end up getting off eitherway

Good Luck, and Don't stop believen!

you guys give me hope. I wish you the best in med school and hope you do well.

you guys give me hope. I wish you the best in med school and hope you do well.

Thank-you. Good luck in your application, and don't become too neurotic by reading stuff on here :)

Thank-you. Good luck in your application, and don't become too neurotic by reading stuff on here :)

If you dont mind me asking can you pm the med schools you got accepted to if not I totally understand. I got a 26 Mcat T_T balanced though so im praying and applying broadly and applying to schools whose mission I fit. Also I have great extra currics

sigh its a scary process

Non-URM with a 29 MCAT (10PS/10VR/9BS) and 3.91 cGPA (3.95sGPA). Average ECs, but 4 publications.

Timeline:
-primary submitted in July
-verified in August
-secondaries submitted November to December (big mistake)

3 MD interview invites (did not apply DO):
-2 acceptances
-1 waitlist

At this point in the cycle, the biggest thing you can do to improve your odds of landing an interview invite is to submit those secondaries ASAP. You can't change your stats or your ECs, but you can control whether you're first in line for review or last in line.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Non-URM with a 29 MCAT (10PS/10VR/9BS) and 3.91 cGPA (3.95sGPA). Average ECs, but 4 publications.

Timeline:
-primary submitted in July
-verified in August
-secondaries submitted November to December (big mistake)

3 MD interview invites (did not apply DO):
-2 acceptances
-1 waitlist

At this point in the cycle, the biggest thing you can do to improve your odds of landing an interview invite is to submit those secondaries ASAP. You can't change your stats or your ECs, but you can control whether you're first in line for review or last in line.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

I second this motion. Timing is everything. Cannot be understated.