Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
28MCAT 3.5GPA, no luck at all =(
no interview, no confirmation, no nothing!?!?

29T here
interviewed at drexel and PSU; rejected from uPitt .. uPenn, Temple, and Jefferson have said NOTHING

I'm also a very late applicant: like 10/17 my files were complete

Members don't see this ad :)
28MCAT 3.5GPA, no luck at all =(
no interview, no confirmation, no nothing!?!?

I am rooting for you...good luck. Trust me its better not to waste money on interviews to places you arent going to get into than going and then getting heartbroken.

NYMC, Drexel, EVMS, VCU/MCV, Downstate, Wayne State

As you can see, none of these are top schools, but who cares, they're all great programs IMO.

As for secrets, I really couldn't tell you. Some might call me lucky, I have 1 summer of clinical experience and the rest of my AMCAS is stuff I enjoy (fitness hobbies/jobs). IMO, if there was 1 strength to my application, it would be the fact that I was consistent with that 1 fitness aspect. It's what I truly love, and what drove my towards medicine, and I let schools know that in every way possible.

If you really want a secret, it would be to apply early and broadly, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck y'all! You really don't need 30+ to get into medical school, although it would definitely help.

Edit: And Oh yea, play up your strengths as much as possible, not your weaknesses.

Hey Robizzle....

do you know when you LOR were recieved by AMCAS? so, when you say you were "complete", your schools already had your LOR's as early as July!? WOw!!

hey any students with 27-29 mcat score recieved any interviews yet? if so, where? and when where u complete??

thanks.:)

29R MCAT here. I've had two interviews (UTHSCSA and UTSW). Still waiting for an acceptance.... I was complete waaay back in June though. As others have said over and over; apply early!!:)

27 MCAT, applied to only 2 schools, interviewed at both, accepted at one and waiting to hear from the other.

Another update. Just received my 6th interview with a 28Q 3.65 GPA. Be aggressive folks, send those LoI's. Be, be aggresive.

you are my hero dmprice2

here's to an applicant who probably spent the least of us all and yet will go just as far

Just landed another interview. All OOS...no love from the state schools. Up to 4 interviews now with this one. Waiting to hear from 2, and 2 pending. :eek:

I'm just hoping for one acceptance. :)

i just got an interview at temple

i'm a late applicant, too, 10/22 .. buttttttt i'm in state so ya

Members don't see this ad :)
27N (10V, 9PS, 8BS)

BCPM GPA: 3.67
Overall GPA: 3.52

applied to 6 (4 in state-TX, 2 out)
2 interviews, both in TX
got my first choice of those 2 through texas match

applied to Texas in July
applied AMCAS in August
finished all secondaries by Sept. 18th

29M, 3.7GPA
applied to about 16 MD schools, 9DO schools, 1 Caribbean school
applied pretty late (finished primary by mid September) and finished secondaries according to each individual school's deadline though pretty much everything done by December
5 interviews in total
1 acceptance at a DO school =D
2 waitlists at 2 MD schools.. (fingers crossed)
-->reapplicant (1year off)

so dont lose hope! it is possible to get interviews... the key to persevere to the end

I guess I could update this since it's been a while:

1 DO acceptance, and 1 DO interview declined

6 MD interviews: 2 post-interview rejections, 2 waitlists, and 2 that I'm still waiting on

28R best single MCAT, 29S best combined, 3.46cGPA with a 3.36sGPA and some crazy life experiences :p

I have a 29 from April. I was complete at most schools in Oct and have 4 MD interviews (University of Nevada SOM, West Virginia University SOM, University of Washington SOM, and St. Louis University SOM) and 1 MD acceptance at SLU- still really pumped, I just got the email today!!!!

There is hope for you guys with MCATs below 30, even if you didn't apply super early.

GOOD LUCK ALL, I'm rooting for the <30 bunch!!!

So applying early increases your chances because there is less competition or what? ;)

27MCAT

Invitations declined:
4 schools: Rush, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Buffalo

Interviewed at:
6 schools

Accepted at 3, waiting on 1 more

Everything MD

Well, yes, I got a 29R but I did supremely well during my undegrad with a 3.90 GPA and 3.93 BCPM GPA. I got 3 interviews, 2 waitlists, and 1 imminent decision from the other later today. I know this because I emailed the Admissions Office yesterday, and they told me that I was on the agenda. Keeping my fingers crossed and my phone close for some good news.

27P, applied to seven total, 2 MD interviews and 1 DO interview

Thought I'd update. 27, 6 allo interviews and 1 acceptance.

28R + 3.2GPA = 1 interview and should hear this wednesday where I stand.

Update: 28P 3.87 GPA. Applied to 11 MD schools. 9 interviews, 1 withdrawal post-secondary, 1 rejection. I turned down 4 interviews after acceptance to first choice. 1 waitlist, 2 wonderful acceptances! 2 more interviews to go.

These numbers are making me very happy!:)

I'm actually below the range...I have a 26R and 3.5 GPA. Applied to 7 MD schools, interviewed at 2 schools in October. I am on the alternate list at both schools. To make up for some of the low scores, I have years of volunteer work (both clinical and non-clinical), 2.5 yrs of research with 1 publication and about to submit my second manuscript for publication, and a couple leadership positions. Now I'm playing the waiting game...and preparing for the MCAT again just in case.

Yes, I am another. I have a 29R but I got a phenomenal GPA: 3.93 BCPM and 3.90 AO GPA. You can read more on my MDAPPS profile. In regards to the interviews, I got 3 from 16 schools that I applied through AMCAS. I sent 13 secondaries and got 8 rejections, 2 that haven't contacted me at all, and the other 3 were interviews. Two of the schools placed me on their alternate list and the final one sent me a letter last week saying that I am in the very competitive category and that a decision will be made in April 2008 on acceptance into the class or placement into the alternate list. So the wait, and thus the process continues...

still nothing... =(

well i got in to all of my DO schools, still gonna be a doc

good luck y'all

Reactions: 1 user
just an update: 29T / 3.69GPA .. 50% of the schools to which I applied offered me interviews ..

took the MCAT twice- first got a 27, second time got a 29. GPA was a 3.7 for both science and cumulative.

applied to 25 schools or so, interviewed at 5, and was accepted at Tufts and Penn State. I'm waitlisted at UVM and NYMC.

apply early.... it can make all the difference!

anybody get an interview with a 8 on their bio score........i have a 29 (11V, 10PS, 8Bio)...

Took the MCAT Twice:

July '07: 28P (PS: 09, VR: 08, BS:11)
Sep '07: 29R (PS: 12, VR: 09, BS:08)

Figured I went up in everything except BS. I think that is BS.

A friend of mine got a 27 and was accepted to UCSD three weeks ago.

wow, thought UCSD was one of those schools that's anal about scores.

Hey everyone!

I want to throw in my input...I'm not applying I'm a first year med student...but last year my profile was

3.80 GPA, 29 MCAT (12P, 6V, 11B). I'm an Asian American male from Cali (so i did not apply Underrepresented)

Yes the 6 HURT ME BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!! LOW MCAT + LOW VERBAL = NOT GOOD

4 interviews, 1 acceptance.

27O (9,9,9) GPA 3.58 (last 3 years GPA >3.9)

Applied 3 OOS, 2 IS
No interviews OOS (Texas-family lives there/ grew up there)
2 IS Interviews (GA) (1 acceptance/1 Waiting for decision)

Applied in November--Can't stress early application enough.

I was told that with my ECs, clinical experience (PA in IM/Peds for 5 yrs, Nurse in ER previously), state ties, etc. I had a good chance for TX schools if I had applied early. Oh well, I like the school I was accepted at, just more debt compared to the super low TX tuition.

Don't give up hope--Keep working for your goals.

27O MCAT non trad scientist 3MD interviews and 1MD acceptance to first choice school. Applied end of september.

28Q, 3.67gpa, Big Ten undergrad (guess which one)

One interview, one acceptance (which I still think was pure luck) at Wayne State. I was also in state and related to alumni, both of which Wayne likes a lot.

did most of you guys already graduate by the time of applying or after? If you didn't have many credit hours, how many did you have on your app by the time of application? Also if you were 21 or around that age applying did that matter much?

ty in advance for replies

i have a friend that interviewed at uc davis with a 28. he applied really really late too. no he wasnt urm, he was orm actually.

well if we are going to go on heresay I know a girl with a 28 and 3.5 with an acceptance to ECU....less than stellar ecs too.

Stats are all on my MDApps, acceptance at MSUCOM, Albany, and a top 1/3 waitlist at SUNY Buffalo (don't have NY residency or ties, just got lots of NY lovin'). Also waitlisted at Temple and Saint Louis U. It can be done!

Well, I had a 29R (11 VR) on the MCAT and less than thrilling GPA from a top undergrad school. Went to grad school got my M.S with a much, much better GPA ( 2 year program, done in 1 year) from another well respected school. I assisted in research in a lab associated with a really good medical school, but I applied late. I was waitlisted everywhere and then I was accepted a few weeks ago. I also still have a few waitlists pending. Hopefully this helps someone!
:luck:If I did it,I know you can! :p Good luck people!:love::luck:

27Q 3.5 GPA, I had 7 interviews, 2 acceptances and 3 waitlists.

27O (9,9,9) GPA 3.58 (last 3 years GPA >3.9)

Applied 3 OOS, 2 IS
No interviews OOS (Texas-family lives there/ grew up there)
2 IS Interviews (GA) (1 acceptance/1 Waiting for decision)

Applied in November--Can't stress early application enough.

I was told that with my ECs, clinical experience (PA in IM/Peds for 5 yrs, Nurse in ER previously), state ties, etc. I had a good chance for TX schools if I had applied early. Oh well, I like the school I was accepted at, just more debt compared to the super low TX tuition.

Don't give up hope--Keep working for your goals.

Update: 2 IS Acceptances (Mercer, MCG)

Update: 2 IS Acceptances (Mercer, MCG)

why do you want to be a doctor when you're already a PA? :scared:

you already did 2 extra years of school. you want to do 4 more years?? then 3+ years of residency?? i don't know....i guess i just personally don't understand why ppl above 30 want to all of a sudden start becoming a doctor. by the time you're 30, you likely have a family can't really afford to be overworked for the next 7 years.

i just wonder why you became a PA first and now you want to be a doctor. you should have chosen that from the beginning not to waste time haha. i can understand switching from a nurse to a PA because a PA's salary is much better and you get to have more of a medical role. once you're a PA, though, you have a decent amount of power over patients and are getting paid 60-100k/year. plz explain why you want to be a doctor now! thanks!

I graduated in 2007 with a major equivalent to pre-med. I took a year off and will be going into a 1 year SMP this fall. I am also in the middle of doing AMCAS (I know it's a bit late, but before my acceptance to the SMP two weeks ago, med school was out of my reach).

My cumulative undergrad GPA is right around a 3.4, and my science GPA is 2.8ish (I took a lot of science electives: embryology; genetics; biochem; physio; microbio; neurobio; cell bio; etc etc).

My only MCAT score from August 2006 was: 27Q (10V; 9B; 8P), and I have signed up to take it again in September (again, I know - it's late, but the MCAT has pretty much been the bane of my existence, and I want to do it right, since it's kind of the make or break factor for me, or so I've been led to believe).

This will be my first time applying, as I decided in undergrad that my performance was too weak to warrant an effort. I have been told from some people that I ought to have applied to DO schools, but I have never shadowed a DO, nor did I want my options to be dictated by my "shoddy" GPA/MCAT.

I guess my question is straightforward. I have a 3.4 (2.8 science) undergrad GPA and a 27Q MCAT. I know that my numbers are far from competitive for most allopathic schools, but I am wondering:

Does having gone to a top 20 school counterbalance a weak GPA?

I have done plenty of clinical volunteering, and I have other notable non-clinical ECs going for me (leadership activities, community service), but no research.

What are my chances?

One more thing to note: I earned a C- in organic chem II during undergrad. This was one of the major reasons I didn't apply to med schools before, and because I got a lot of conflicting advice, I never retook it at a community college or local college over the summer like I should have.

The director of my SMP suggested that it was okay (that I have a C- in a med school pre-req class) because a strong performance in the SMP will show med schools that despite my organic II misstep, I am capable of performing at the med school level. The director of another SMP I got into told me that this C- would prevent my application from even being reviewed.

Can anyone offer any insight on my situation? What schools will "forgive" a C- (which technically is not passing) in a pre-req class? What are my chances, given my circumstances? How much does an SMP factor into everything?

A C- is not the end of the world. All med schools are different so both SMP directors could be right.

Also, No, going to a top 20 is not goign to counterbalance a lower GPA.

Your chances of getting into a MD school and even a DO school will have to depend mainly on your SMP program more than your MCAT will. You have to show schools that you can handle a rigorous course load, and that your low undergrad GPA was just a fluke.

bumpppppp

anyone so far ?