Any advice is much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onewhoscrewedup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on where to go next would be very comforting and reassuring, as I'm beginning to realize that I screwed my path in life up royally.

Here's my story: I'm a pre-pharmacy major and will graduate with a bachelors soon. My GPA is at a disgusting 2.67. Not quite sure how I let it get to this point, but I am very disgusted and discouraged by it. I don't have anything to speak of in the way of extracurricular activities, nor have I worked for very long in a pharmacy (1 year total). I tend not to participate in EC activities, because I am very socially awkward and always end up feeling like an idiot. I can function normally in a work setting, however. So, with nothing to speak of, no referrences, bad gpa, where do I go from here? I know it would be a cold day in h3ll if I got accepted to any pharmacy school, so Im not banking on that.

Where do I go, what do I do? Im at an all time low. I have let down myself and my family. And on top of it all, have student loans to pay back on a meager salary once I graduate (as I sure wont be working in a pharmacy).

Should I not graduate? Should I keep going to school until I raise my gpa? Should I start from scratch and start a new degree? What are my options? What can I do with a Bach. of science degree?

Thanks for reading. Any input is very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on where to go next would be very comforting and reassuring, as I'm beginning to realize that I screwed my path in life up royally.

Here's my story: I'm a pre-pharmacy major and will graduate with a bachelors soon. My GPA is at a disgusting 2.67. Not quite sure how I let it get to this point, but I am very disgusted and discouraged by it. I don't have anything to speak of in the way of extracurricular activities, nor have I worked for very long in a pharmacy (1 year total). I tend not to participate in EC activities, because I am very socially awkward and always end up feeling like an idiot. I can function normally in a work setting, however. So, with nothing to speak of, no referrences, bad gpa, where do I go from here? I know it would be a cold day in h3ll if I got accepted to any pharmacy school, so Im not banking on that.

Where do I go, what do I do? Im at an all time low. I have let down myself and my family. And on top of it all, have student loans to pay back on a meager salary once I graduate (as I sure wont be working in a pharmacy).

Should I not graduate? Should I keep going to school until I raise my gpa? Should I start from scratch and start a new degree? What are my options? What can I do with a Bach. of science degree?

Really?

What are you expecting here? We're just a bunch of guys (and gals) in an anonymous forum. I bet you $0.01 that everyone that will post after me will say at least say this:

1) blah blah blah, if you really want to be pharm raise your GPA, blah blah blah...

2) blah blah blah, ace your PCAT, blah blah blah...

To be honest, the pre-pharm thread is getting boring and samey. The majority of people who's had trouble getting accepted is because of low GPA and everyone comes with the same two insightful *sarcasm* advice for them.

Edit: if you came here to get encouragement, you came to the right place, everyone at SDN loves to make the world out to be rainbows and sunshine.

Yes, I know I sound bitter, more than usual, but I've just seen so many of these threads... and they all seem to be just blowing smoke since even the OP knows that if he wants to get into pharm,

I don't have anything to speak of in the way of extracurricular activities

Do some EC's then

I tend not to participate in EC activities, because I am very socially awkward and always end up feeling like an idiot.
Get some confidence
So, with nothing to speak of, no referrences,
Get some references
bad gpa, where do I go from here?
Go raise GPA

The OP's always know what problems they're already having... it seems that all they ever want is to have someone else tell him/her to do something they already know again and again and again and again...

PS: no offense to this particular OP, just a trend I see going on.

Last edited:
Really?

What are you expecting here? We're just a bunch of guys (and gals) in an anonymous forum. I bet you $0.01 that everyone that will post after me will say at least say this:

1) blah blah blah, if you really want to be pharm raise your GPA, blah blah blah...

2) blah blah blah, ace your PCAT, blah blah blah...

To be honest, the pre-pharm thread is getting boring and samey. The majority of people who's had trouble getting accepted is because of low GPA and everyone comes with the same two insightful *sarcasm* advice for them.

wow, sorry I didn't know I couldn't come here for advice. :confused:

And if it's so boring, don't read or reply to posts you find boring.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your bachelors in? You could do a 1 year masters program like pharmacology. One of my friends did that and she has a few interviews this year. You need to get your GPA above 2.7 because that is the minimum for most schools. You will need to get 2 semesters of a good gpa to show you are on the right track. If you do well in a class then get a letter from one of those professors. Get another one from a pharmacist you work for.

What is your PCAT score? if you haven't taken it yet, really study hard and try to get above a 90.

Keep working in the pharmacy and start volunteering even if its only for 4 hours a week. You need to do other things to make up for your GPA. If you are uncomfortable in group settings then maybe volunteer at a library or cleaning up a park or something.

Go to the career center at your school and find out what kind of job you could get with your bachelors degree before you decide if pharmacy will work out or not.

Contact your lender and negotiate a low payment plan. They would rather have u make low payments than default.

Do you have any extenuating circumstances that caused you to have a low GPA? You could mention it in your application if you do.

If you're at your all time low then it might help to visit a counselor. They should be free at school. My mother died a year an a half ago and my gpa dipped hard for 2 semesters. I thought about giving up on everything. Counseling helped me figure out how to get myself back on track.

I don't know what else to say. It doesn't look good, but I wouldn't completely rule you out yet. Boost your GPA, rock the PCAT, get some EC activities and you could also look into applying to ACPE pre-candidate schools. They usually have lower standards.

Good luck!

What is your bachelors in? You could do a 1 year masters program like pharmacology. One of my friends did that and she has a few interviews this year. You need to get your GPA above 2.7 because that is the minimum for most schools. You will need to get 2 semesters of a good gpa to show you are on the right track. If you do well in a class then get a letter from one of those professors. Get another one from a pharmacist you work for.

What is your PCAT score? if you haven't taken it yet, really study hard and try to get above a 90.

Keep working in the pharmacy and start volunteering even if its only for 4 hours a week. You need to do other things to make up for your GPA. If you are uncomfortable in group settings then maybe volunteer at a library or cleaning up a park or something.

Go to the career center at your school and find out what kind of job you could get with your bachelors degree before you decide if pharmacy will work out or not.

Contact your lender and negotiate a low payment plan. They would rather have u make low payments than default.

Do you have any extenuating circumstances that caused you to have a low GPA? You could mention it in your application if you do.

If you're at your all time low then it might help to visit a counselor. They should be free at school. My mother died a year an a half ago and my gpa dipped hard for 2 semesters. I thought about giving up on everything. Counseling helped me figure out how to get myself back on track.

I don't know what else to say. It doesn't look good, but I wouldn't completely rule you out yet. Boost your GPA, rock the PCAT, get some EC activities and you could also look into applying to ACPE pre-candidate schools. They usually have lower standards.

Good luck!

Thank you.

And o-chem TA- Im not sure what an OP is (Im assuming Im one).

I did not come here for rainbows and sunshine. I really want to find out my options and what I should do to better my situation.

Perhaps I came here for somebody to tell me that it is hopeless. I do get sick of hearing "everything will be ok, it will all work out" from those closest to me, even my husband. They don't tell it like it is, so I guess I have a disillusioned way of thinking. It's really starting to sink in that they ARE sugarcoating it and its NOT going to be ok. Maybe I AM looking for confirmation to give up.

I think u should start being more confident. From the last post, u seem to be depressed or somethin. Take as long as u like u to finish up your degree and to raise your gpa. I agree w/OchemTA on what u should do, even though he/she sounds kind of mean... its true though.

But be more confident! Finish up on your own time. If u have to be part-time in school to work more, then do that as long as it doesnt compromise your grades. Take classes at community college to try to raise ur gpa, even if that means re-taking some. Again... be more CONFIDENT!!! :thumbup:

Edit: if you came here to get encouragement, you came to the right place, everyone at SDN loves to make the world out to be rainbows and sunshine.

That's not me, that's for sure. I'm all about reality.

screwed up one: Did you get a 2.67 because you were lazy? Or was it because you couldn't do any better than a B- average? You seem to be lacking basic social skills needed for this profession. If you can't function socially, I'm not seeing how you can work as a part of a team. If you can't be beneficial to a team and can't communicate, you will fail.

Starting over with a new degree will do nothing but waste your time. PharmCAS requires ALL transcripts from ALL colleges attended, so starting over will have no effect on your GPA calculations. The cold hard truth is that pharmacy just may not be for you. It's that simple. There was a point in my life when I asked myself, "am I really smart enough to go to pharmacy school?" I proved to myself that I was. If you have no confidence, no experience, low grades and basically do not have anything that a pharmacy school requires for admissions, well I don't know what to tell you other than good luck.

wow, sorry I didn't know I couldn't come here for advice. :confused:

And if it's so boring, don't read or reply to posts you find boring.

My post wasn't directed to you. I'm just saying a trend I'm seeing.

Good luck!

Thanks for proving my point.

Did you get a 2.67 because you were lazy? Or was it because you couldn't do any better than a B- average?

Now thats just harsh! u could see that the poster is obviously confused/depressed/hating him or herself n then u go n say things like that? i wonder if u would have the guts to say that to someone's face.

Thanks to all who replied with encouraging/insightful words. I am H3LL BENT on making this work, whether it takes me 3 or 10 years to do it. I'm going to get older anyway. Might as well be older with a pharmacy degree.
And, your all right. Its NOT going to be easy. I just have to get my priorities straight and work this out.

Thanks again.

I think you need to step back and re-evaluate everything. Is pharmacy really and truly what you want to do? Maybe you're telling yourself it is but deep down it isn't. No one else can tell you this, only you can.

If you know you have a confidence problem, then I think that is something to see a therapist about. You can't just tell yourself, "Hey, get some confidence," and then you are all of a sudden magically sure of yourself. Believe me. This is coming from someone who used to have a very serious confidence issue.

Once you know what you really want to pursue, and you're a bit more sure of yourself, you will know what to do. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
FuturePharmist gave you great advice. I just wanted to add I would suggest retaking pre-reqs you did bad in because schools typically place more emphasis on those classes. Also look into pharm schools that have grade forgiveness, such as USN. Maybe even contact some schools and see what areas they like to see in a candidate. It might be best to delay graduation if you plan to retake classes at the same university because sometimes they will charge you higher tuition if you graduated. Also, if you stay in school you can get your loans deferred. I agree that the odds are stacked against you, but if this is really what you want you can make it happen. I think you will be a lot happier if you at least try rather than giving up before you start.

OChemTA, I just wanted to point out that there is a lot of repetition in post topics but that is no reason to get angry at a person. There are new members joining everyday and they don't know there have been similar posts. I too can get frustrated by reading the same things, but just keep it cool and be respectful. There are way better things to riled up about. :)

OChemTA, I just wanted to point out that there is a lot of repetition in post topics but that is no reason to get angry at a person. There are new members joining everyday and they don't know there have been similar posts. I too can get frustrated by reading the same things, but just keep it cool and be respectful. There are way better things to riled up about. :)

I've said in all my posts in this thread that my posts are NOT directed at the OP and that I don't mean her ANY offense.

Can't someone create a sticky threads to answer these repetitive questions?

like:

"Sticky: How do I get into pharm, my situation is ______ <-- for pharmacy newbies"

If you know you have a confidence problem, then I think that is something to see a therapist about. You can't just tell yourself, "Hey, get some confidence," and then you are all of a sudden magically sure of yourself. Believe me. This is coming from someone who used to have a very serious confidence issue.

I don't mean to tell the OP to just "get some confidence" I mean it in the context that the OP already knows she lacks confidence, and that she should go get some... it doesn't matter how she does it, as long as she does. Same thing when I say "get higher gpa" I don't mean it literally like go grab a higher GPA, I mean go get a MS or pHD to get a higher GPA.

The point is, the OP already know what she's lacking and what she needs to do. so why bother posting if not for encouragement?

Unless you're telling me that the OP doesn't know how to get a higher GPA (study hard) or how to get EC (find a volunteering position/get a hobby) or how to get confidence (volunteer, interact with people)... in which case perhaps pharmacy isn't for you. I mean, these things aren't hard to figure out...

Now thats just harsh! u could see that the poster is obviously confused/depressed/hating him or herself n then u go n say things like that? i wonder if u would have the guts to say that to someone's face.

Problem is....he right. Why did she get a 2.67? To evaluate the chances of her getting into school you need to know if she underachieving or if thats the level of her intelligence. I really dont think it was rude....just honest, and sometimes honesty can be hard to hear.

The point is, the OP already know what she's lacking and what she needs to do. so why bother posting if not for encouragement?

Actually, I don't really know what to do or where to go from here, as stated in my original post. I don't know whether I should take the time to raise my gpa before graduating, or whether I should just start over when I feel the time is right. I didn't realize that my old gpa would haunt me even if I started over. I really am just looking for options. Thats all. And, my eyes have been opened to some options thanks to some folks here.

I didn't know my post would become a point of such contention. I'm glad there are tolerant people out there, willing to listen and give some intelligible advice, rather than hark on my " 'samey', redundant questions" If I were you, I'd learn to let the things that are of NO importance to you go. Just don't respond. Simple as that.

Problem is....he right. Why did she get a 2.67? To evaluate the chances of her getting into school you need to know if she underachieving or if thats the level of her intelligence. I really dont think it was rude....just honest, and sometimes honesty can be hard to hear.

And just to agree with everyone else...the main issue is your confidence level and your ability to interact with strangers. If your socially awkward this might not be the best profession. You need to be able to talk to people all day long and make important decisions that you need the confidence to stand behind. If your willing to get over your insecurities then you can succeed with this.

onewhoscrewedup, I was in a similar position. My cGPA before this year was 2.62, and yes, I was lazy and naive at the start of my academic career, thus the very low grade. Right now you're depressed because you're realizing how much easier things would be if you had given that extra effort instead of doing something else. We all (likely) have student loans to pay (I'm still paying mine back and I graduated in 04). Look at your portfolio and objectively evaluate yourself. Socially awkward? Get out and join some groups. Be brave. Who cares if you feel like an idiot? Most people do when they start out somewhere. No references? Character references work. Long time friends, co-workers, family. GPA low? Science or non-science? Pre-req or non pre-req? Core science or elective? Pick a few that you did poorly in (<B) and upgrade with at least an A- (A's look good no matter what :)). Read through the WAMC thread to get an idea of your competition (and don't be disheartened). Those who have less than stellar grades can give you an idea of how to make up for it. There's lots of advice in there. Keep working in a pharmacy. 2 years experience is twice as good as 1. OP means original post. And this is a free site. People are allowed to offer advice, good or bad. Don't take it personally, just try to understand what they're trying to say. And if you can't, ignore it. That's the beauty of it. Good luck, whatever you do.

Only someone that gets offended easily would find my statement harsh. It was a serious question that this person needs to ask him/herself. I asked myself the same question. "Am I smart enough?" Lets face it - some people have what it takes (intellectually speaking) to become a pharmacist. Others do not. There's nothing wrong with not being smart enough. Just realize this profession is not for you and set a different goal.

I think you should study your BUTT off for the PCAT and take it as a litmus test. If you get 85+, I say invest your time in a CC close to home where family support is ample and start repeating your prereq's beginning with the ones you scored the lowest on and ace them. Some pharmacy schools will replace the original grade for the new A in calculating your gpa. Some pharmacy schools will simply take into account of your improved performance and give you a chance. If you can't get a decent score on the PCAT, then you should realize that you're not fit to become a pharmacist. Give yourself one chance to take the exam, and see if you can prove everyone wrong by getting a beautiful score. Study hard! I'll be rooting for you ;)

-ExScrewUp

(2.97 gpa, 92 pcat)

I think some great advice has been offered here as well as some very interesting (albeit conflicting) perspectives.

My two cents: try your absolute hardest and step outside of your comfort zone. If things don't go your way in the end, you can at least feel pride in saying that you did your best.

I respect everything you've done thus far and sympathize with the fact that you haven't done as well as you would have like to. However, as stated previously, pharmacy isn't for everyone.

onewhoscrewedup, I was in a similar position. My cGPA before this year was 2.62, and yes, I was lazy and naive at the start of my academic career, thus the very low grade. Right now you're depressed because you're realizing how much easier things would be if you had given that extra effort instead of doing something else. We all (likely) have student loans to pay (I'm still paying mine back and I graduated in 04). Look at your portfolio and objectively evaluate yourself. Socially awkward? Get out and join some groups. Be brave. Who cares if you feel like an idiot? Most people do when they start out somewhere. No references? Character references work. Long time friends, co-workers, family. GPA low? Science or non-science? Pre-req or non pre-req? Core science or elective? Pick a few that you did poorly in (<B) and upgrade with at least an A- (A's look good no matter what :)). Read through the WAMC thread to get an idea of your competition (and don't be disheartened). Those who have less than stellar grades can give you an idea of how to make up for it. There's lots of advice in there. Keep working in a pharmacy. 2 years experience is twice as good as 1. OP means original post. And this is a free site. People are allowed to offer advice, good or bad. Don't take it personally, just try to understand what they're trying to say. And if you can't, ignore it. That's the beauty of it. Good luck, whatever you do.

Honestly, I don't know what you've said in your post that I didn't say in my first one... I also don't see what other people have said that's basically don't follow what I said they would say...

Actually, I don't really know what to do or where to go from here, as stated in my original post. I don't know whether I should take the time to raise my gpa before graduating, or whether I should just start over when I feel the time is right. I didn't realize that my old gpa would haunt me even if I started over. I really am just looking for options. Thats all. And, my eyes have been opened to some options thanks to some folks here.

WAMC... no need to even use the search button now.

There was really one option. To go for a pharmacy degree or not. If you really wanted to go for it, a simple WAMC reading would let you know all about the GPA situation and how to increase it.

I didn't know my post would become a point of such contention. I'm glad there are tolerant people out there, willing to listen and give some intelligible advice, rather than hark on my " 'samey', redundant questions" If I were you, I'd learn to let the things that are of NO importance to you go. Just don't respond. Simple as that.

Don't give me that crap about me being contentious. So because of a post that wasn't direct towards you, you're implying that I'm intolerant and unwilling to listen or given intelligent advice? If you read the posts others have made, their comments are 95% similar to mine. The other 5% is covered by the WAMC thread.

These do NOT work in most cases. Most schools specifically state that family, friends, clergy and politician letters of reference are not acceptable.

You're right, they don't work for some schools, but it depends on the school. Some schools want only letters from profs, others (to my knowledge) aren't as particular.

Honestly, I don't know what you've said in your post that I didn't say in my first one... I also don't see what other people have said that's basically don't follow what I said they would say....

I try to be constructive and helpful when I post. I didn't interpret your first post as helpful, which is why I threw in my $0.02. If you look closely, you'll notice I gave examples and ideas for the OP. And if you're getting tired of reading/hearing the same thing over and over, go elsewhere.

Maybe you should meet with an advisor at your school, they can probably give you a good idea on what to do about finishing/not finishing your degree and if so, whether you should start a new major, etc. But as for my $0.02, I guess you could graduate, take a year off, and work. Maybe get certified as a pharm tech and work as a tech for a year to get at least a good reference from your pharmacist. If any pre-requisites for pharm school have REALLY bad grades, obviously retake those. Otherwise move on, and you're best bet (with a science degree) is doing some kind of research as a lab technician.

Maybe you need a change of pace. I live in Southern CA and this area is loaded w/tons of pharmaceutical companies. You don't need a pharmd, and they don't care what your GPA was as an undergrad. You could graduate, then get a job in the pharmaceutical industry for a while. Earning money is always a good thing, to me. That would give you a change of pace. Once you're working for a while, then you could return to school with a fresh perspective, and more confidence in your work. Good luck!

Maybe you need a change of pace. I live in Southern CA and this area is loaded w/tons of pharmaceutical companies. You don't need a pharmd, and they don't care what your GPA was as an undergrad. You could graduate, then get a job in the pharmaceutical industry for a while. Earning money is always a good thing, to me. That would give you a change of pace. Once you're working for a while, then you could return to school with a fresh perspective, and more confidence in your work. Good luck!

People get lazy after taking time off though! :p Like me for example...I graduated May 2007 from Undergrad and now I am getting lazier and lazier...I don't know if I can ever work as hard as I did in undergrad...I need to think of something to get me motiviated...Money? lOl.. Just kidding.

Anyhow the OP has to bring that GPA up to at least a 3.0 and get 90+ on the PCAT to have a chance. I say if you have a 4.0 you can get away with a 75-80 on PCAT, but if you have anything below a 3.4 GPA then you need at least a 90 to make up for the low GPA. good luck!

Being an academic screw up myself, I understand your situation very well.

I read many good advices written above. All in all, it's up to you to make your own decisions in terms of finding the best routes to getting accepted to pharmacy school.

I think you might want to ask yourself why you were struggling academically. Was it work-related? family? social? personal? or other things? maybe a combination of what I listed?

I can tell you a lot of people screw up academically, because they don't know exactly what they want in a career. Without a clear career goal to work towards, many don't perform well academically. And if you attend an university with a large student population, you will be nothing but a number in that institution. They won't hold your hand and walk you through it all. You're gonna have to want it badly enough to work really hard for it.

Without having to preach on, I don't think you should give up. If becoming a pharmacist is truly what you want, you should stick with it, and stay persistent.

What you absolutely need to do is:

Retake all the general science classes you've done poorly in. I suggest retaking all of them to re-establish an excellent basic science foundation. You must ace all your classes, and when you do, it would prepare you for the PCAT.

It's not gonna be easy. That's why when the times get hard, remember what you're working towards and why you're doing it. I think about it everyday; mostly at night and especially during times when I want to give up. But at the end, I won't allow it. I've come too far to give up before I give it my all.

btw, don't let anyone convince you, you can't become a pharmacist because you screwed up before. You have to protect your dream of wanting to become a pharmacist and keep fighting. If pharmacy is the career you truly want, you're gonna have to want this ten times more than your average pre-pharmacy student.

Good luck:)

p.s. Keep in mind, half of the accepted pharmacy students have zero to little pharmacy experience. What you really need right now is to go back to school and prove to pharmacy schools you are academically able to handle a pharmacy school curriculum.

Last edited:
I know you've got a lot of advice but I'll just add:

1. Don't be sad, you're young and you know what your career goal is...that's better than a lot of people out there just graduating from college
2. Don't worry about extracurricular too much, if you have pharm experience. Volunteer somewhere, maybe a hospital or nonprofit.
3. Your GPA can get higher if you retake some pre-reqs that you've gotten C or below on. I suggest going to a community college (cheaper) for some post-bac classes.
4. Get a job so you can save money for school so you don't have to take out a bunch of loans next year.
5. Study and do well on the PCAT
6. Apply EARLY