Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is an encouraging thread. :thumbup:

I'm glad I ran across it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one out here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there azul, welcome to our lovely thread. I have been so encouraged since I found it and that was back about 5 or 6 years ago. There are some really cool and knowledgeable ppl on the thread so ask any questions that your heart desire. Again welcome!! :welcome:

P.S. You are not alone.

Hey all,
I hope all is well with you all. Its really nice to find a thread with some strong black women who are determined to make it to med school! I will be heading out to med school in a few weeks, just thought I give you guys a shoutout.
Love, peace, and hairgrease from your brother
Blackpower2012

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an encouraging thread. :thumbup:

I'm glad I ran across it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one out here.

Welcome and you are definitely not alone. We all hang together here brothers and sisters all.

Hey all,
I hope all is well with you all. Its really nice to find a thread with some strong black women who are determined to make it to med school! I will be heading out to med school in a few weeks, just thought I give you guys a shoutout.
Love, peace, and hairgrease from your brother
Blackpower2012

Hey there BlackPower2021!
Glad to have you posting here too. There is another thread for the brothas that we all say "hey" on too so check it out. Just keep you eyes on your goal and know that you can achieve anything that you can dream. It's out there for you to grab.

Everyone finish the week strong. I am running as fast as I can.:thumbup:

Hello Everyone!
It's also my first time posting on SDN and I'm very excited about this thread. I am going to Howard University in the fall and once the process my transcripts, I should be a sophmore. I was wondering if any one has applied to medical school a year early (beginning of junior year instead of after). I know some schools do allow 3 years of undergrad and do not require a degree, but Recommend it. I want to know if any of you have tried this route or know anyone who has?

Thanx

just checking in to say whatsup:D I'm study like a madwomen for my final next thursday...i have to get a B on it to past the class....I got sick (kindey infectiion) and my missed a test, two labs and three quizs and bomb:( the last one exam...so i'm missed alot of points...but it's doable....:love:

Hello Everyone!
It's also my first time posting on SDN and I'm very excited about this thread. I am going to Howard University in the fall and once the process my transcripts, I should be a sophmore. I was wondering if any one has applied to medical school a year early (beginning of junior year instead of after). I know some schools do allow 3 years of undergrad and do not require a degree, but Recommend it. I want to know if any of you have tried this route or know anyone who has?

Thanx

The two people in my class who were in the Integrated program did exceptionally well in medical school. Howard College of Medicine has this program. The Integrated folks did much better than the BS/MD folks, where we lost three out of four. One of the three that washed out after first year came back, reapplied after completing four year of his BS and completed his MD. The other two elected not to attend medical school at all as they were just not interested in medicine after they had one semester of first year.

The two people in my class who were in the Integrated program did exceptionally well in medical school. Howard College of Medicine has this program. The Integrated folks did much better than the BS/MD folks, where we lost three out of four. One of the three that washed out after first year came back, reapplied after completing four year of his BS and completed his MD. The other two elected not to attend medical school at all as they were just not interested in medicine after they had one semester of first year.

What do you exactly mean by Integrating and what program at HCUM are you referring to?

What do you exactly mean by Integrating and what program at HCUM are you referring to?

Howard had an Integrated BS/MD program which a transfer student would have been eligible to participate in at the junior undergraduate level. It has been phased out and now only the BS/MD (six year program) exists which is not open to transfer students.

How is everyone night going so far? just stopping in to say hello! I have been thinking and I have decided to just finish my BA ( i have another two years left) and stop taking any more science classes....I will do a informal post bacc afterwards. I just want to bring up my gpa right now...I have too much on my plate being a single mom and my son is still little. After i have my degree i can focus on one or two classes at a time...:oops:

:love:

Hey Dorise how are you? You have a good point, focus on one thing at a time. I wish I would have finished my Bachelors then took the extra science courses for the premed track. Just hang in there you can make it through to the next level. I am trying to decide how to bring my gpa up this year while finishing my degree and I think I'm just going to finish, then take more sciences next year right before we start the app cycle. I guess I will know for sure real soon.

Oh, I am soooo excited b/c I just got the Audio Osmosis set and they are really cool. :thumbup: I will be putting them on an mp3 and constantly listening to them over and over again. I am gearing up to knock that beast of a test out of the water. My attitude is so different and I have all my trust in God to take me to the top! Have a good night all and enjoy the holiday!!

sistahnik

Hi everyone,

Nice to see black people on here. I am a black female.

Trinicha

Hi everyone,

Nice to see black people on here. I am a black female.

Trinicha

Hey trincha! Welcome! this is a great thread and the women here are amazing....feel free to post questions or concerns....:D

Thxs sistahnik, i am going to just focus one thing at a time. Good luck with the Beast:laugh: When are you taking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
The plan is to take it in Jan. So I am gearing up with all the materials and everything and I even got Audio Osmosis. :D

I dont mean a combined program. Howard requires 62 credits for admission along with the prereqs. Im asking if you know anyone who applied early and matriculated on the following year without recieving a degree.

nevermind i called and confirmed that u only need 2 years of study before matriculation

Hey all, Just chekcing in to say whats up. I am counting the days until I begin med school and move to DC. Good luck to the rest of class 2013 and those who are on the waitlist at other schools for a seat for 2012
Take Care

Hey there BlackPower2012, good luck to ya and I wish you the best in the future.
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and have a good night with all this rain. :laugh:

I actually had a qs. Im Egyptian American. In the ethnicity portion there was no option for Arab or Middle Eastern, so I put African American, which is true (Egypt is in Africa.) However I dont think the committees to think Im black and then think I lied or tricked them if I show up for an interview because I clearly do not look black. lol. I am not going to pretend Im NOT african american because technically Im as african american as I am arab american. Egypt was actually in Africa before it was in the Arab league though so.... i donno any thoughts?

I actually had a qs. Im Egyptian American. In the ethnicity portion there was no option for Arab or Middle Eastern, so I put African American, which is true (Egypt is in Africa.) However I dont think the committees to think Im black and then think I lied or tricked them if I show up for an interview because I clearly do not look black. lol. I am not going to pretend Im NOT african american because technically Im as african american as I am arab american. Egypt was actually in Africa before it was in the Arab league though so.... i donno any thoughts?

I think that it's okay to say you're African-American. Like you said, Egypt is a part of Africa. And most ethnic categories say "African-American OR Black," and you're choosing the "African-American" portion of the phrase. (A lot of people think that if you're from Africa that you must be Black, and that's not true.)

I'm a white girl, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Why not check "other"? (Most Egyptians that I know check "White" or even "Asian" if an Arab/Middle Eastern option is not available.)

I think this would backfire on you, and the Adcoms will think you're identifying yourself as AA soley in order to obtain URM status. Here are some threads about the subject:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4659773#post4659773

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6072804#post6072804

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4378222#post4378222

There are plenty of places that you can discuss your ethnicity in your medical school application such as your personal statement if you want to be sure that there is no question about it. Your personal statement is the one area of your application that you have total control over content.

As you have quickly pointed out, you are an Arab-American which has little overlap with being Black or in one of the URM categories as outlined by the AAMC. I can tell you that no medical school admissions committee is going to mistake you for a Black African-American but you may have opened yourself to some scrutiny and criticism that you otherwise would not have encountered if you had left the ethnicity unchecked.

I think that it's okay to say you're African-American. Like you said, Egypt is a part of Africa. And most ethnic categories say "African-American OR Black," and you're choosing the "African-American" portion of the phrase. (A lot of people think that if you're from Africa that you must be Black, and that's not true.)

The above statement is true inthe sense that while Egypt is on the continent of Africa, you are NOT a "black" African-American. While americans who have ancestors who are from Africa are considered African-Americans, all African-Americans are not black just as all Africans are not Black (South Africans who are Afrikaner; Libyans, many Moroccans, Egyptians). You may find that your motives for checking African-American may be questioned so have an answer ready that goes beyond, "well, Egypt is in Africa so that makes me an African-American".

Yes I understand Im actually not putting African American for URM status I guess but because I want to say something about my ethnicity, not just other, I mean Im kind of proud of my ethnicity. I mention being Egyptian in my personal statement, so I hope that it doesnt come across as that. With all these options do you guys still think it is suspicious? Should I try and change my ethnic background or something? Is that even possible?

Good evening,

I am done with my chemistry I in the first session...i decided to stop taking premed classes until after i graduate. I think right now i too much on my plate and i need to back up and come back to it later. I will be taking a sociology class online for the second part of the summer.

how's everyone summer going?

Good evening,

I am done with my chemistry I in the first session...i decided to stop taking premed classes until after i graduate. I think right now i too much on my plate and i need to back up and come back to it later. I will be taking a sociology class online for the second part of the summer.

how's everyone summer going?

Hey Dorise,

Sometimes it just good to take a step back and breathe so that you can get your bearings and come back refreshed and strong. The good thing is that medical school and the application process isn't going anywhere and all good things come in time.

Hope your sociology class goes well and you get some real decompression. Summer is just a hectic time for coursework. I have been teaching an Emergency Medicine course (trauma surgery part) and I feel like I have emptied my brain onto a computer screen. I can't wait to pack up and get out of town. My students are tired and cranky too.

To everyone:
Keep the battle going and finish the summer strong taking one day at a time.

Hello everyone.

I studying for the MCAT and I can wait to get it over with.

Studying way too long.

Hey all!

Just finished my summer session, Im so happy for the much needed break.

Hey Dorise,

Sometimes it just good to take a step back and breathe so that you can get your bearings and come back refreshed and strong. The good thing is that medical school and the application process isn't going anywhere and all good things come in time.

Hope your sociology class goes well and you get some real decompression. Summer is just a hectic time for coursework. I have been teaching an Emergency Medicine course (trauma surgery part) and I feel like I have emptied my brain onto a computer screen. I can't wait to pack up and get out of town. My students are tired and cranky too.

To everyone:
Keep the battle going and finish the summer strong taking one day at a time.

Thxs njmd!! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders with the direction I have taken...:D I am enjoying my sociology class online...its alot of work but very interesting....The only things on my mind is my gpa:eek:... trying to do some seriously damage control!!

hi ladies :love: :love:

i hope that all is going well for you. i haven't posted in a while, but i just thougth that i'd drop by to say "hello" to everyone (new and old :) ).

i recently began my 4th year of medical school (scary, i know! :laugh: ) and have just been thrown into the process of studying for the USMLE STEP 2, getting letters of recommendation for residency, writing my personal statement, solidifying my away rotations, and just preparing to move on with the next phase of my professional life...

i will be gone from SDN for the months of Sept, Oct, and November for my emergency medicine electives. however, i'll be off and on SDN quite frequently until then. if there is anything that i can do for anyone, be it advice or encouragement, please let me know. i'm always just one PM ( private message) away :)

(btw, if you do send me a PM, and I don't reply within a few days, please, please hunt me down and send it to me again...I can be forgetful, from time to time :oops: )

Last edited:
Hey ladies!

I just got my summer 08 physics II grade (A+) woo!

This feels so good. I felt that I could never achieve good grades in undergrad. Now that Im doing the post-bacc thing, Im on a roll!

Hi Ladies

Currently studying for the MCAT.

My higest VR score is a 7.

I need a 8 or above.

What your advice on improving?

Hi Ladies

I need a 8 or above.

I don't know how much time you have left before you take the test, but try to do verbal practice sets on a weekly basis. (For me, the Examkrackers Verbal 101 book was very good and helped me raise my score on the actual MCAT.)

Hi Ladies

I need a 8 or above.

Your first task is to stop focusing on a particular score. Your focus should be on maximizing your improvement. Just getting to an 8 is nice but your actually want the highest score possible. In short, change your focus to seeing some improvement with every practice session and give yourself little rewards for improvement.

I don't know how much time you have left before you take the test, but try to do verbal practice sets on a weekly basis. (For me, the Examkrackers Verbal 101 book was very good and helped me raise my score on the actual MCAT.)

Jdla, I was able to improve my verbal score from an 8 (jan '08) to an 11 (may '08) by reading everything that I could get my hands on. Newspapers, magazines, and some decent literature (Chinua Achebe and Jhumpa Lahaire to name 2). I think that reading and analyzing a variety of materials is the best way to prepare for VR. The first time I took the MCAT, I tried practicing with EK and Kaplan passages, but I did not feel prepared. For me there were no secrets...read the passages and keep the main idea of the passage in mind and you will be fine.

Good luck my sista!

Improvement in reading comprehension takes practice and wedogogirl has definitely given you good advice. Figure out a system that will enable you to analyze every type of reading situation from magazines to newspaper editorials to textbook passages and apply it often.

If you have time to take a critical reading and writing course, then do this but if you are short on time, practice, practice and more practice with anything and everything that you can get your hands on. Good readers are good writers so practice outlining and writing short expository passages. If you have a good system of analysis and the application of strong deductive reasoning and analysis of argumentation, you have won most of the battle.

I can also suggest that as you read anything, constantly question yourself for understanding. Learn how to pick out key points such as the thesis, tone, evidence, counter-evidence/arguement and conclusions. Are all of these sound in the reading examples that you are analyzing? Read, read and then do more reading. Grab an anthology of short fiction from the library and many, many authors. The more practice the better and this is an enriching experience.

Finally, realize that you can get this done. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I'm a non-trad student who's been at this pre-med thing for too long:rolleyes::rolleyes: but finally this year I've decided to throw my hat in the ring (so to speak and just see what happens). I was accepted to a caribbean school for September but I've decided to apply to schools in the US and try my luck. My GPA is pretty decent 3.5/3.3 but the MCAT is my main hurdle. I got a 18O when I first took it last year and I've been afraid to take it ever since. I did sign up for the August 7th exam so hopefully this time I can improve significantly. :scared::scared:

I just want to say after reading some of the amazing acceptances in this thread and in the underrepresented thread, I'm more motivated than ever to not only do great on the MCAT but get accepted this year. Congrats to all my fellow sisters who will be matriculating this year and to all of us who are applying for 09 I can't wait to go on this journey with you.

Hi everyone, I'm a non-trad student who's been at this pre-med thing for too long:rolleyes::rolleyes: but finally this year I've decided to throw my hat in the ring (so to speak and just see what happens). I was accepted to a caribbean school for September but I've decided to apply to schools in the US and try my luck. My GPA is pretty decent 3.5/3.3 but the MCAT is my main hurdle. I got a 18O when I first took it last year and I've been afraid to take it ever since. I did sign up for the August 7th exam so hopefully this time I can improve significantly. :scared::scared:

I just want to say after reading some of the amazing acceptances in this thread and in the underrepresented thread, I'm more motivated than ever to not only do great on the MCAT but get accepted this year. Congrats to all my fellow sisters who will be matriculating this year and to all of us who are applying for 09 I can't wait to go on this journey with you.

Welcome Housefan84! We love to have people join our thread of support and positive encouragement.

I would strongly advise you not to take the August MCAT unless you are thoroughly prepared for this test. This means that you have done significant study and are scoring well on practice exams. You can't "hope" that you improve, you have to KNOW that you can improve. The MCAT is not an exam to keep talking over and you have previously taken it.

Search this thread for posts by LovelyMD who did one retake (went from a 29 to a 37) and significantly improved her score. You can use the search feature and find them. Look for other posts about MCAT improvement.

If you feel that you cannot significantly improve your score, don't take the test. Cancel your test time (expensive) but far better than scoring another poor (or even mediocre score). Even if it takes you another year to do a solid prep and practice, you really NEED to take this time. I cannot emphasize this fact more especially since your uGPA is below average for matriculants.

Good luck with your preparation and study.

Welcome Housefan84! We love to have people join our thread of support and positive encouragement.

I would strongly advise you not to take the August MCAT unless you are thoroughly prepared for this test. This means that you have done significant study and are scoring well on practice exams. You can't "hope" that you improve, you have to KNOW that you can improve. The MCAT is not an exam to keep talking over and you have previously taken it.

Search this thread for posts by LovelyMD who did one retake (went from a 29 to a 37) and significantly improved her score. You can use the search feature and find them. Look for other posts about MCAT improvement.

If you feel that you cannot significantly improve your score, don't take the test. Cancel your test time (expensive) but far better than scoring another poor (or even mediocre score). Even if it takes you another year to do a solid prep and practice, you really NEED to take this time. I cannot emphasize this fact more especially since your uGPA is below average for matriculants.

Good luck with your preparation and study.

Hi njbmd, thanks for the support and advice and yes I've already agonized over whether I should take the test in August or wait next another year. I decided to take it this year b/c I know I will do better and I am confident that I can get my target score. Trust me I have no illusions about this test, I know its difficult and many people aren't able to master it. I'm just not a what if person, I just can't take another year off right now and then wonder what if I had taken it in August etc etc. With the help of ExamKrackers I've prepared for this test and I have been hitting my target score on practice exams so I'm ready for it. Thanks again.

Hey ladies!

I just got my summer 08 physics II grade (A+) woo!

This feels so good. I felt that I could never achieve good grades in undergrad. Now that Im doing the post-bacc thing, Im on a roll!

:love:Congrats! that is so great!!! You give me hope!! :luck:

:love:Congrats! that is so great!!! You give me hope!! :luck:

Thank you! I am happy to give someone hope, Ive been so alone on this post-bacc journey.

Just know that anything is possible!

EVERY MAN NEEDS A BMW ;):cool:(BLACK MOTIVATED WOMAN):cool:;)...Hello to all my fellow BMW's and our supporters.
I'm Applying in the 2008-2009 Application Cycle...Almost done with PS...and reataking MCAT August 5th. No prep course first time around hopefully all the money and time i spent will pay off!!
Good Luck to us all!!!

Last edited:
Just checking to say hi and i hope everyone is having a GREAT summer :love:

Just passing through on a very slow post call day. The sun is shining bright and I am going to enjoy it. Hope everyone's summer is going well and school is winding down. In about 3 weeks, many fall semesters are underway. Many medical schools have started or will start in a few weeks. The time just flew by.

hi ladies :love:

well, this thread has been very quiet, as of late, and so i thought to drop in.

I wish everyone all of God's abundant peace and blessings, as this summer continues to progress..

I'll be leaving for a few months soon, but i just wanted to check in and say "hello."

if anyone who is in the application for medical school right now needs anything, and i can be of help, please dont' hesitate to shoot me a pm :)

Njbmd, I will send you an email right before I leave :love:

I know I've been MIA. :) I hope everyone in the c/o 2012 is enjoyig the start of school, or enjoying their last few days of class free-no studying-sleeping lateness. My first test is Monday, so wish me luck, pray, or whatever...it's biochem but I'm still determined to honor this test :) ttyl

I know I've been MIA. :) I hope everyone in the c/o 2012 is enjoyig the start of school, or enjoying their last few days of class free-no studying-sleeping lateness. My first test is Monday, so wish me luck, pray, or whatever...it's biochem but I'm still determined to honor this test :) ttyl

I know why you have been MIA. Here's to you knocking that test out of the water and keeping the momentum going. It's just one of the many tests to follow until fourth year when medical school actually become fun again. (Orientation is fun, then the work of classes and then fourth year fun again). Enjoy living your dream!

You are going to be amazed at how fast this year is going to fly by for you and how much you will learn.