Any good transitional programs in the North East/New England Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

misteratoz

There isn't much information on good transitional year programs. I've only got one invite from a transitional program so I'm planning on applying more broadly. Have any of you guys heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't much information on good transitional year programs. I've only got one invite from a transitional program so I'm planning on applying more broadly. Have any of you guys heard anything?
Check the ophthalmology forums. There's an old thread that had info on TYs.

As far as northeast in general, lots in Philadelphia area.

Must be in the past. Philly would be ideal for me, but there are very few in that region and I've applied to all of them.

Reading is still awesome. Crozier Chester was a good deal a few years ago but don't know anybody who has been there recently. Neither is in Philly per se.

In the Boston area, metro west and Cambridge health alliance are good but competitive. People like Carney too. Haven't heard of too many other good ones out east though, the Midwest tends to have the best including the holy grail, North Dakota, which at one time had a single month of call the whole year...

It's probably worth mentioning too that there are more stringent minimum requirements for anesthesia internships than ophtho or radiology, so be careful with these places.

Reading is still awesome. Crozier Chester was a good deal a few years ago but don't know anybody who has been there recently. Neither is in Philly per se.

In the Boston area, metro west and Cambridge health alliance are good but competitive. People like Carney too. Haven't heard of too many other good ones out east though, the Midwest tends to have the best including the holy grail, North Dakota, which at one time had a single month of call the whole year...

It's probably worth mentioning too that there are more stringent minimum requirements for anesthesia internships than ophtho or radiology, so be careful with these places.
Carney is effectively dead. They fired their program director the year I was applying, and took the TY spots to create the FM residency, which they then shut down this year.

Brockton is the best in MA.
Metrowest is second.
CHA is a TOUGH patient population
Mount Auburn has become high volume, perpetually capped prelim

Carney is effectively dead. They fired their program director the year I was applying, and took the TY spots to create the FM residency, which they then shut down this year.

Yeah this has been the trend over the past 10 years or so. I know that many of most posh TY spots in the mid-Atlantic (Carrilion in Roanoke had a really, really favorable one which was incredibly hard to get into) have simply gone away as those places have transitioned into formalized FM or IM residencies. That's part of the reason that TY is becoming even more competitive than before.

May I ask- are you restricted from categorical programs for a particular reason? Because I highly recommend a rigorous, academic, intern year if you are willing. For me it was a great opportunity to do 1/3 of an internal medicine residency at a top medicine program that gave me a solid foundation. I'm really grateful for the opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs have limited categorical spots and many advanced spots. Stanford, for example, has only 8 "categorical" spots that are, for the most part, just IM prelim years with an anesthesia month thrown in. The remaining spots (20-ish?) are advanced, and you are responsible for getting those PGY-1 interviews on your own. I think if your heart is set on a particular program or region, it would be smart to apply to TYs/prelims to maximize the chances of getting into your dream residency.

Some programs have limited categorical spots and many advanced spots. Stanford, for example, has only 8 "categorical" spots that are, for the most part, just IM prelim years with an anesthesia month thrown in. The remaining spots (20-ish?) are advanced, and you are responsible for getting those PGY-1 interviews on your own. I think if your heart is set on a particular program or region, it would be smart to apply to TYs/prelims to maximize the chances of getting into your dream residency.

My approach was just to apply to my medical school's prelim spots for those few programs that operate as you describe, but there are many reasonable approaches. I was more just trying to plug rigorous, academic internships, because I found mine to be an incredible experience. It sucked at times, don't get me wrong, but looking back? 100% worth it.

May I ask- are you restricted from categorical programs for a particular reason? Because I highly recommend a rigorous, academic, intern year if you are willing. For me it was a great opportunity to do 1/3 of an internal medicine residency at a top medicine program that gave me a solid foundation. I'm really grateful for the opportunity.

No! Part of me wants to do an IM prelim. I've applied to 7 IM prelim programs because I agree, that knowledge is invaluable. Most programs are now categorical so I didn't bother applying to too many prelim/transitional spots.

Got Rejected from Stanford today lol (first rejection), though I had no connection to that area + very competitive program so not surprised.