Any interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch, got 1st rejection today from Wake Forest.

I guess they do have a cut off as someone posted in another thread about 230 on USMLE1, as I'm flying under the radar around 225... but w/ some research experience...gotten invites from the likes of Cleveland, Columbia, Vandy, Baylor, Dartmouth, Cornell, UPenn, Hopkins, MGH, I guess I don't make the cut at Wake though, a little surprised, but moving on... :cool: .

Members don't see this ad.

Updated interviews so far:

Michigan
Hopkins
Virginia
Baylor
UT-Houston
UC-Irvine
Northwestern
B&W
Duke
UTSW
Nebraska
Rush

Waiting on: Emory, UIC, Mass General, UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, UCSD, PENN, and Virginia Mason.

No rejections yet, but spoke with a friend and that person said that Emory is using a 220 Step I cutoff so I guess I won't hold my breath. Also haven't heard from any transition year programs. This sucks having to make interview dates so far in advance and having to figure out where to bunch schools together geographically without hearing from everyone yet.

So Far:

Anesthesiology:

UVa
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest
UPenn
UF
Emory
MGH
Hopkins
UAB

Waiting on: B&W, BID, Mayo-Jax, USF, MUSC

Transitional Year:
Carilion-Roanoke
Columbus, GA
Harbor

Waiting on a whole bunch, including Inova-Fairfax, Mery-Pitt, Christiana

Programs I'm still thinking about applying to: Pittsburgh (sounds like a fantastic program, but oh-so-cold), Virginia-Mason (same), UWash (same), WashU, Dartmouth (did I mention the cold?).

Future parents, be warned: if you raise your kids in Florida, you'll have a tough time convincing them to ever move up north.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC via email today

MGH 10/18

Congrats on all of the interviews so far and good luck to everyone - hopefully more will be coming in soon after the Dean's letters go out.

For those of you who received an invite from UNC, did you hear from them via email or regular mail??

Has anyone heard from Penn, Michigan, or University of Washington? I'm also interested in the stats for anyone who has received an invite from Brigham Women's. I've got
Step 1: 245
Bottom half of class, some non-anesthesia research

Interviews so far:
Emory, UAB, UVA, Duke, OHSU, Northwestern, MGH, JHU

waiting for the above 3 as well as Stanford, UCSF, Wake, UNC

Best of luck with interviews, and thanks to anyone who responds.

xampower said:
For those of you who received an invite from UNC, did you hear from them via email or regular mail??

Regular mail

It seems like people heard from U Wash after dean's letters went out last year (11/15).

MAC Man said:
Has anyone heard from Penn, Michigan, or University of Washington? I'm also interested in the stats for anyone who has received an invite from Brigham Women's. I've got
Step 1: 245
Bottom half of class, some non-anesthesia research

Interviews so far:
Emory, UAB, UVA, Duke, OHSU, Northwestern, MGH, JHU

waiting for the above 3 as well as Stanford, UCSF, Wake, UNC

Best of luck with interviews, and thanks to anyone who responds.

I heard from UPenn last week; like you, waiting for BW and some others. It's interesting how the program/applicant invitation schedule is working out.

Yale 10/25 via email

Yale 10/25 email
Westchester Medical 10/22 snail mail

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all. Is Yale one of the top programs (Iam sure it is)? For those of you getting interviews there, what type of scores does it take. Thanks

Temple via snail mail 10/25
Rush via e-mail 10/25

picked up another Transitional year interview: MacNeal (Chicago area)

usc 10/24 via email
northwestern 10/25 via phone call
arizona 10/25 via email

I may have asked this before, but what makes an anesthesia program top ranked. Is it funding or something else? I've been trying to find info on the programs, have looked on scutwork (they don't have all the programs) and was wondering if anyone might know. Thanks.

gasgodess said:
I may have asked this before, but what makes an anesthesia program top ranked. Is it funding or something else? I've been trying to find info on the programs, have looked on scutwork (they don't have all the programs) and was wondering if anyone might know. Thanks.

The FAQ has some great opinions on this topic. By own, evolving rationale:

Tip-Top Programs: The programs excel in terms of research, clinical experience, and teaching. There is also the "reputation" factor, but I like even more a comment from the FAQ: environment. In a tip-top program, the whole darn place should be an academic powerhouse. Anessthesiology interacts with most of the other departments in a hospital. Thus, those other departments must also be tip-top programs to support and foster and environment for excellence in anesthesiology.

Second-tier: These are the programs that have everything above...almost. I would say slight variations in the reputation or environment force reconsideration of these places as top-tier. This is unfortunate, since I wonder if the reputation and environment could come at the cost of, well, working conditions. The implication is that as far as a resident is concerned, a second-tier program in my book will still offer some of the best training and professional development available.

Third-tier: These programs are known for having excellent anesthesiology programs in solid academic hospitals known nationally. In addition to not having the reputation or environment found with top-tier, they may have areas where the surgery division is not super-stellar. Residents still get a mind-boggling strong experience in even the weaker divisions. Research efforts may simply be "younger" as well.

And finally, top-tier may simply be a personal feeling. Like big names and reputation? Harvard, Hopkins, Duke, UCSF seem the way to go. Like northern programs with mind-blowing experience, but a little "stealtheir" than Big Red? Perhaps Pitt. Want to stay away from "in the trenches" anesthesia training? A smaller program with a shorter work day, then.

In the end, I think it's all up to you.

utlonghorn50 said:
Congrats to all. Is Yale one of the top programs (Iam sure it is)? For those of you getting interviews there, what type of scores does it take. Thanks

Step 1 256
mid-class

gotten
UCLA-harbor, UCI, UCLA, Vandy, Rochester, columbia, florida, cornell, UVa, Wash U, Hopkins, Penn, Miami, colorado, yale, usc

waiting
Duke, unc, ucsf, wake, stanford, northwestern, ucsd, uwash, oregon

good luck. i don't know much about yale's program (i've read very good things about it) but the location is a little sub-par.

UCSF (10/26) via e-mail

Has anyone hear from the following progrmas...
Arkansas, CO, Tulane, OK, Jefferson, South Carolina? Just curious. I haven't seen anyone mention them.
and if so and you wouldn't mind sharing, what is your step 1/class rank?
Thanks

Stacie :horns:

Penn 10/26 via email

Anyone else who got an invite for St-Luke's Roosevelt notice that they take a long time to reply with your date? I was offered an interview last Tuesday (the 19th), responded the same day and still haven't heard anything.

I re-emailed my requests, so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

OHSU 9/20 by email
UConn 9/22 by email
Iowa 9/23 by email
Mayo-Roc 9/30 by email
UT-Galveston 10/5 by email
Univ of Utah 10/15 by email
Dartmouth 10/18 by email
MCW 10/18 by email
U of Az 10/26 by email
U of Kansas at Wichita 10/26 by email

Gator05 said:
The FAQ has some great opinions on this topic. By own, evolving rationale:

Tip-Top Programs: The programs excel in terms of research, clinical experience, and teaching. There is also the "reputation" factor, but I like even more a comment from the FAQ: environment. In a tip-top program, the whole darn place should be an academic powerhouse. Anessthesiology interacts with most of the other departments in a hospital. Thus, those other departments must also be tip-top programs to support and foster and environment for excellence in anesthesiology.

Second-tier: These are the programs that have everything above...almost. I would say slight variations in the reputation or environment force reconsideration of these places as top-tier. This is unfortunate, since I wonder if the reputation and environment could come at the cost of, well, working conditions. The implication is that as far as a resident is concerned, a second-tier program in my book will still offer some of the best training and professional development available.

Third-tier: These programs are known for having excellent anesthesiology programs in solid academic hospitals known nationally. In addition to not having the reputation or environment found with top-tier, they may have areas where the surgery division is not super-stellar. Residents still get a mind-boggling strong experience in even the weaker divisions. Research efforts may simply be "younger" as well.

And finally, top-tier may simply be a personal feeling. Like big names and reputation? Harvard, Hopkins, Duke, UCSF seem the way to go. Like northern programs with mind-blowing experience, but a little "stealtheir" than Big Red? Perhaps Pitt. Want to stay away from "in the trenches" anesthesia training? A smaller program with a shorter work day, then.

In the end, I think it's all up to you.

Thanks, that site helped.

I've noticed a lot of talk of Step I cutoffs on this thread, and on SDN in general, and I think it may be overemphasized. For those MSIII's applying next year, DO NOT limit your applications based solely on a "low" step I score. If you're not happy with it, take Step II early and more than likely you'll improve. But overall I think LORs carry much more weight. Just my 2 cents.

My stats: Step I 217, step II 226
Interview offers so far at MGH, Dartmouth, Cornell, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Rush, Loyola, Wake Forest, UF, UC Davis, UCLA, San Antonio---No rejections yet!!

University of Kansas (Wichita) yesterday via email

Long Island College of Medicine - prelim 10/27 via email.

Any information about this program?

Unity Health,Rochester ,NY
Case western Reserve(St Vincent)
Both for Prelim IM

spacetygrss said:
Anyone else who got an invite for St-Luke's Roosevelt notice that they take a long time to reply with your date? I was offered an interview last Tuesday (the 19th), responded the same day and still haven't heard anything.

I re-emailed my requests, so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

For me it's been 2 weeks (I initially heard 10/13). I've resent my email and left a voicemail and I still haven't heard anything.

roundabout1 said:
For me it's been 2 weeks (I initially heard 10/13). I've resent my email and left a voicemail and I still haven't heard anything.

Same thing here. I called and the woman I spoke to said they would send out a confirmation email within a few days. That was one week ago.

Interviews received:
Emory
JHU
Georgetown
MGH
UCSF
UCSD
UVa
UCI
Rush
Il Masonic
Wake Forest
Baylor

Awaiting:
B&W, Penn, Mayo Jax, Vandy, and others

hey all

got GWU today 10.28.04 via email

as for SLR- i got an immediate reply telling me to rebook (i guess I set the interview date too early), but have not received an email for my confirmation.

just as a side... taking my step 2 on monday ( alittle nervous). any words of advice?

well, continued good luck to all.

peace

Yale (10/25)
OSU (10/25)
St. Louis U (10/27)
U. Maryland (10/28)

Still waiting on U. Mich, UNC, UVa, Duke

University of Chicago-10/28-email

Picked up U of Chicago today via email. That brings the total to seven:

Northwestern
Colombia
SLR (who still hasn't confirmed my date!!)
Loyola
Temple
Rush
U of Chicago.

roundabout1 said:

Oh my goodness. That's outrageous. I've already sent another e-mail and I called today but she wasn't at her desk.

Well, at least I know that I'm not alone.
:eek:

U. of Maryland, 10/28 by email

Wahoo!! :laugh:

- Joe

Updated interviews so far:

Michigan
Hopkins
Virginia
Baylor
UT-Houston
UC-Irvine
Northwestern
B&W
Duke
UTSW
Nebraska
Rush

NEW: University of Chicago, Mass General, UCLA

Waiting on: Emory, Stanford, UCSF, UCSD, PENN, and Virginia Mason.

Anesthesia:
OHSU (9/20)
UC-Irvine (9/30)
Baylor (10/4)
UCLA (10/4)
Harbor-UCLA (10/5)
UNM (10/7)
UT-Houston (10/8)
UC-Davis (10/12)
UAZ (10/19)
Loma Linda (10/20)
USC (10/21)
UCSD (10/24)
UCSF (10/26)

Waiting on: U Wash, Virginia Mason, Stanford

Prelim:
Tulane IM (snail mail; 10/8)
UAZ IM (10/27)
UT-Houston Transitional (10/29)

Interviews so far::
Yale
MGH
Columbia
Cornell
Wash U
ST Lukes
Temple
Miami
Weschester
ST Vincents
Georgetown

Still waiting for
BWH
UPenn
Hopkins

Anyone else expecting the proverbial flood gates to open this week, what with Dean's letters being released tomorrow? I'm hoping (only four invites thus far).

-Skip