Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Orunri, are you going to be accepting the invitation? Also have you received the acceptance letter in the mail yet or just email so far? I'm still waiting on the official letter coming through snail mail.

I accepted:). I only got the email, the letter will probably arrive by the end of the week.
Phoenix, I think the cost of living comes out to be about 42-45K per year for out of state students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesickle
How often do you plan on flying back to the mainland if you get accepted? If you're planning on getting HI residency, you can't leave the island for 12 full months.

I starting to think about this. staying on for 1yr, become a HI resident, pay about 15k less. Its not a bad idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I accepted:). I only got the email, the letter will probably arrive by the end of the week.
Phoenix, I think the cost of living comes out to be about 42-45K per year for out of state students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesickle
How often do you plan on flying back to the mainland if you get accepted? If you're planning on getting HI residency, you can't leave the island for 12 full months.

I starting to think about this. staying on for 1yr, become a HI resident, pay about 15k less. Its not a bad idea.

You can't become a resident that easy, I already looked into it. You must live in HI for 12 consecutive months AND not take more than nine units. This is impossible for pharmacy school. They want to make sure your intent is to live in HI because you are establishing residence there and not just because you are attending school. You should look into marrying a Hawaiian instead!!

I wonder if getting a lease for your apartment in greater than four years, say five or more, would be enough to show that you plan to stay in Hawaii and hence receive the lower tuition rate as a resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't become a resident that easy, I already looked into it. You must live in HI for 12 consecutive months AND not take more than nine units. This is impossible for pharmacy school. They want to make sure your intent is to live in HI because you are establishing residence there and not just because you are attending school. You should look into marrying a Hawaiian instead!!

yeah i remember liz told me I can't apply for resident tuition after 1 year but I didn't know exactly why. Since you said we cannot take more than 9 units, I guess that's why.

So we have to go marriage hunting while going apt hunting when we arrive on the island? :laugh:

Well, bad news for us out-of-staters. :(

So we have to go marriage hunting while going apt hunting when we arrive on the island? :laugh:

Well, bad news for us out-of-staters. :(

you can try to get to know some of the hawaiian students while in school and get married.

Well, my girlfriend would be coming with me, so I wonder if it would count if after a year she gained residence and then we got married if I would then qualify for residence?!

:laugh:...Marrying for visa is old, but marrying for in-state tuition...only a pre-pharm could think that up.

Well, my girlfriend would be coming with me, so I wonder if it would count if after a year she gained residence and then we got married if I would then qualify for residence?!

sounds like a divorce waiting to happen

Massive doses of headache would surely precede that, but I guess he would know what meds to take for it.

In all honesty, you're more likely to gain residency with a personally owned residence over a rented one, especially as a student. But, it never hurts to try and find out more information since that classification seems to differ between states.

For sure :smuggrin:

I think you can only gain resident status after living there one full year and not for the reason of attending school. Correct me if I'm wrong.

so if my husband is working there full time that counts as another reason, yes?

so if my husband is working there full time that counts as another reason, yes?

Absolutely, he will be a resident after one year without leaving the island for a long period; perhaps over 2 weeks??? This part i'm not sure. Someone can commend on that.
Another thing is the spouse's resident status. Would you be resident automatically if your spouse is??? Again, someone can clarify that for us.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nah. I wouldnt do it just for the in-state tuition. Havent even gotten an interview invite yet. I know we will end up together (sometimes you just know), and what better place to do it then Hawai'i?

Besides, she and I both have relatives whom we do not like and know will not be able to afford the airfare! Its like three birds in one stone.

Nah. I wouldnt do it just for the in-state tuition. Havent even gotten an interview invite yet. I know we will end up together (sometimes you just know), and what better place to do it then Hawai'i?

Besides, she and I both have relatives whom we do not like and know will not be able to afford the airfare! Its like three birds in one stone.

More like four birds in one stone. The 4th bird might be you :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: j/k

lucky y'all. i'm gonna give up my seat at UHH! hahahaha....it's nice to get acceptance letters ^^

I'm interviewing in Las Vegas 2/20. Anyone else interviewing then??

congrats on your interview. i scored one for 2/26 in hilo. anyone else?

So I'm guessing that my chance for an interview from Hilo is looking more like a slim to none situation as the days go by. :( Still hoping and praying tho! :xf: Just wondering what news everyone else has heard? Does anyone know if the dreaded rejection letters have gone out? Anyone still waiting like me???

So I'm guessing that my chance for an interview from Hilo is looking more like a slim to none situation as the days go by. :( Still hoping and praying tho! :xf: Just wondering what news everyone else has heard? Does anyone know if the dreaded rejection letters have gone out? Anyone still waiting like me???

When did you submit your app?

Have you tried calling admissions to see where your application is in their process? I would try calling Liz and talk with her about your app.

I'm in the same boat. They got everything in on January 5th, and still nothing other than: We have everything...

When did you submit your app?

I mailed out all my materials (including the supplemental) back in early July. I'm not sure what to think. :confused:

Have you tried calling admissions to see where your application is in their process? I would try calling Liz and talk with her about your app.

Okay, I'll try giving them a call. Thanks for the info.

I'm in the same boat. They got everything in on January 5th, and still nothing other than: We have everything...

Hmm, I never received a confirmation that they received everything. I'm a lil' worried now. Maybe I should definitely give them a call.

I mailed out all my materials (including the supplemental) back in early July. I'm not sure what to think. :confused:

Okay, I'll try giving them a call. Thanks for the info.

Hmm, I never received a confirmation that they received everything. I'm a lil' worried now. Maybe I should definitely give them a call.

You should definitely give them a call, since they're really good about getting back to you this year.

A whole bunch of mainland applicants (myself included) interviewed last week in Vegas, so I'm sure they're going over our applications now. Considering that the PharmCAS for Hilo was due just a few weeks ago and technically the supplemental's not due till April, you should definitely see if there was anything wrong with the application (or if they even received it, which could be a real possibility!). The past couple years they were interviewing all the way up till May/June, so I don't see why this would suddenly change this year.

Good luck!

Woo hoo! I just found out I got accepted! Even though I'm still waiting for other schools, it's nice to finally get in somewhere. :p

Does anyone know where they are going to live in Hilo?

Woo hoo! I just found out I got accepted! Even though I'm still waiting for other schools, it's nice to finally get in somewhere. :p

Congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup: Thanks for the advice too! I went through all of my old emails and I actually found that Hilo did send me an email stating that all of my materials were received back in September. So I guess it's just a waiting game.

Congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup: Thanks for the advice too! I went through all of my old emails and I actually found that Hilo did send me an email stating that all of my materials were received back in September. So I guess it's just a waiting game.

Well, I would still call them to see what your status is since it definitely wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Hey guys, I'm posting for the first time ever on SDN :p

I made it a rule not to even look at SDN til I got accepted, and even then only look at the thread for the schools I got into. I get jinxed easily >__<

For those of you interested in the UHH process, here was my experience of it all:

I turned in my application in July, and was given an interview in like september, but I had actually pushed that allll the way back to january, cuz at first I didn't know if I even wanted to go all the way out there to interview because I would like to see the school at the interview. When I went for my interview, it was on a friday, there was exactly one interviewer that interviewed all 11 of us at 25 minute intervals. We talked for about 10 minutes about pharmacy, and somehow got sidetracked into talking about other random stuff for the rest of the time. The next thursday, I recieved an email saying I was accepted (that's 1 week).

my stats are as follows:
3.6gpa, BS Biochemistry // BS computer science
99pcat composite
300 pharmacy volunteer hours (spread over like 2 years)
pharmacy technician certification, but not actual work experience
I talked a great deal about my cat during the interview. >.>;

oh and btw

*tackles cinnamoroll and nibbles on her ears* <3

Hey guys, I'm posting for the first time ever on SDN :p

I made it a rule not to even look at SDN til I got accepted, and even then only look at the thread for the schools I got into. I get jinxed easily >__<

For those of you interested in the UHH process, here was my experience of it all:

I turned in my application in July, and was given an interview in like september, but I had actually pushed that allll the way back to january, cuz at first I didn't know if I even wanted to go all the way out there to interview because I would like to see the school at the interview. When I went for my interview, it was on a friday, there was exactly one interviewer that interviewed all 11 of us at 25 minute intervals. We talked for about 10 minutes about pharmacy, and somehow got sidetracked into talking about other random stuff for the rest of the time. The next thursday, I recieved an email saying I was accepted (that's 1 week).

my stats are as follows:
3.6gpa, BS Biochemistry // BS computer science
99pcat composite
300 pharmacy volunteer hours (spread over like 2 years)
pharmacy technician certification, but not actual work experience
I talked a great deal about my cat during the interview. >.>;

oh and btw

*tackles cinnamoroll and nibbles on her ears* <3

Congratulations on getting in! I just mailed in my deposit--which I'm okay with, but realizing that if I get in to another school and decide to go there, I've just thrown away $500, which I'm not too happy about. :( At least I know I'll be going somewhere, but the idea of having to uproot and move to Hawai'i is just a bit frightening, and exciting. :)

Congratulations on getting in! I just mailed in my deposit--which I'm okay with, but realizing that if I get in to another school and decide to go there, I've just thrown away $500, which I'm not too happy about. :( At least I know I'll be going somewhere, but the idea of having to uproot and move to Hawai'i is just a bit frightening, and exciting. :)

Well I will have thrown away $1500 on deposits by the end of this month if I get into my top choice, because I first got into my safe school, then my third choice, then my second choice, and finally I have an interview at my top choice. Sucks to waste so much money!!

Well I will have thrown away $1500 on deposits by the end of this month if I get into my top choice, because I first got into my safe school, then my third choice, then my second choice, and finally I have an interview at my top choice. Sucks to waste so much money!!

I wouldn't think of it as a waste. I would think of it as an investment for insurance. That is a lot of money, but just in case things don't work out the way you plan, it's something to fall back on. :)

I wouldn't think of it as a waste. I would think of it as an investment for insurance. That is a lot of money, but just in case things don't work out the way you plan, it's something to fall back on. :)

That's what I keep telling myself--I have one more interview next week, but I will know about the other two schools I'm applying to at about the same time, so at least I'd only have to pay one more deposit if I get into both. Then again, if I don't get into either, then I know I'm going SOMEWHERE in the fall. :laugh:

Does anyone know where they are going to live in Hilo?

I just packed up and moved to Hilo yesterday because I had to move out of the place I was staying in Las Vegas. A Hawaiian coworker suggested looking at craigslist for a room to rent, which is a lot cheaper than staying at a student housing complex. I've looked at a few rooms and hopefully I will have a permanent place to stay tomorrow.

hi!
this is my first time on this site but reading the information has helped me a lot. Wish you all luck!

Anyone get something in the mail from UHH in the past couple of days?

I'm told I have something from Hilo waiting on me back home. I'll find out in a few hours. I'm about to leave Florida for Texas.

I'm told I have something from Hilo waiting on me back home. I'll find out in a few hours. I'm about to leave Florida for Texas.

I didn't receive a letter from Hilo this week. If they want to accept any of us from the alternate list, they would have emailed us first right? I don't know, but hopefully the email you got is good news although you plan to decline anyways.

I didn't receive a letter from Hilo this week. If they want to accept any of us from the alternate list, they would have emailed us first right? I don't know, but hopefully the email you got is good news although you plan to decline anyways.

I would have suspected an email as well. You know, I'll probably accept as a back up in case Regis doesn't come through with their ACPE precandidate status - that is of course assuming it is an acceptance letter.

For all of you who are anxiously waiting to hear from UHH: don't assume anything until you get the letter from the school (either accepted or denied or waitlisted), and don't worry too much (i know it's hard to do!!) From what I know, last year MANY students were pulled out of the waitlist and some were accepted at very last minute (like 1 week before school started). So just keep your hope up!

About housing, yes, they already finished building a new apartment complex for pharmacy students only, and yes, there are still many spaces available. If i'm not wrong, it's $600/month, maybe a little bit lower if you share bedroom with another student. I never check out the place, but I heard it's small. I'd say it's better and cheaper to rent a house off campus and share it with 3 or 4 other students (you may pay only $350 - $500), but this may be hard to do if you're from mainland, don't know anybody here and plan to move to the island like a couple days before school starts. Staying at that new apartment complex would be fine, very close to campus, like 6-7 minutes walking. I don't know the name of that new complex for pharmacy student only. But never stay at University Palms (another apartment complex, right across campus). That's my advice - that place is full of undergrads and all they do is partying! Oh, and very dirty w/ roaches and bugs crawling around!

One last thing i want to say is, you will need a car here. It rains almost everyday, plus you have rotation either at hospital or retail pharmacy in your first year. I know some of you may think you can always go with your friends/classmates who have cars (I used to think so too), but I learned that friends aren't always there for you!

Good luck!

For all of you who are anxiously waiting to hear from UHH: don't assume anything until you get the letter from the school (either accepted or denied or waitlisted), and don't worry too much (i know it's hard to do!!) From what I know, last year MANY students were pulled out of the waitlist and some were accepted at very last minute (like 1 week before school started). So just keep your hope up!

About housing, yes, they already finished building a new apartment complex for pharmacy students only, and yes, there are still many spaces available. If i'm not wrong, it's $600/month, maybe a little bit lower if you share bedroom with another student. I never check out the place, but I heard it's small. I'd say it's better and cheaper to rent a house off campus and share it with 3 or 4 other students (you may pay only $350 - $500), but this may be hard to do if you're from mainland, don't know anybody here and plan to move to the island like a couple days before school starts. Staying at that new apartment complex would be fine, very close to campus, like 6-7 minutes walking. I don't know the name of that new complex for pharmacy student only. But never stay at University Palms (another apartment complex, right across campus). That's my advice - that place is full of undergrads and all they do is partying! Oh, and very dirty w/ roaches and bugs crawling around!

One last thing i want to say is, you will need a car here. It rains almost everyday, plus you have rotation either at hospital or retail pharmacy in your first year. I know some of you may think you can always go with your friends/classmates who have cars (I used to think so too), but I learned that friends aren't always there for you!

Good luck!

I heard a lot of bad stuff about University Palms. I don't mind the partying there as long as there are plenty of hot chicks :laugh:

I heard a lot of bad stuff about University Palms. I don't mind the partying there as long as there are plenty of hot chicks :laugh:

I asked my interviewer about on-campus housing vs off-campus housing and he said maybe a couple of current students are living on-campus. He suggested bringing earplugs if I live on-campus due to loud noises from undergrads.

I asked my interviewer about on-campus housing vs off-campus housing and he said maybe a couple of current students are living on-campus. He suggested bringing earplugs if I live on-campus due to loud noises from undergrads.

University Palms is off campus apartment, and i don't think earplugs work anyway! I wouldn't suggest to stay at on-campus housing either. I have friends moving out of the dorm after one semester living there. I think as a grad student, it's better to have ur own bedroom instead of sharing with 2-3 people. Think about the hugh amount of workload in pharmacy school - you'll need ur own space to study. Well, unless you plan to stay in library whole day and night...

I didn't receive anything, and I interviewed the 12/6 in Vegas and got my alt letter 1/21. Let us know what it is.

Please join the "University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Pharmacy c/o 2013" facebook group!

It'll be a nice and organized way to meet fellow students. :)

:hello:

Please join the "University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Pharmacy c/o 2013" facebook group!

It'll be a nice and organized way to meet fellow students. :)

:hello:

i just tried looking for it and couldn't find it. where is it?

Cool, thanks for the link!

I'm going to wait until I definitely know for sure that I'm going before I join. I'm interviewing at one more school this week, and waiting to hear from another school before I make up my mind. :)