Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hooray, alternate list for me also :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:, I wonder if anybody from the Vegas interview that day with Dr. G got in, I know I had a rough interview trying to "connect" with her.

You apply anywhere else fugm?

I interviewed with Dr. G on Dec 5 and got accepted. I was the first interview of the day. I talked to her about research on natural products because I knew that was a "hot topic" for this particular school.

Members don't see this ad.

wild thing is that I thought I 'connected' with her. my fn interview lasted 45 min! anyway, alternative list is good, congrats to everyone. as for other schools, I applied to a lot. I interviewed at neoucop last week and interview at charleston next week. how about you? did you hear from lipscomb?

I interviewed with Dr. G on dec. 6th also. I was just curious if any of you guys did undergrad research because she seemed very big on research. It made it a lot easier to connect with her because we talked about it for 15 minutes.

EDIT: AH! ninja'd by pharmtechgirl! :D

I interviewed with Dr. G on dec. 6th also. I was just curious if any of you guys did undergrad research because she seemed very big on research. It made it a lot easier to connect with her because we talked about it for 15 minutes.

EDIT: AH! ninja'd by pharmtechgirl! :D

ha! Lol! we talked about research but the funny thing is that I have never done research, with the exception of a developmental psych lab and helping my husband with his thesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing back from Lipscomb, but judging from the crazy number of people getting accepted in the lipscomb thread, I'm probably not gonna be one of them. But luckily I got into Notre Dame :thumbup: so at least I know I'm going somewhere. Got 2 interviews in my homestate coming up though...

Wow, so looks like 0/3 on the vegas day that I met you guys at...maybe sin city was distracting us haha

Good luck on your other interviews fugm

congrats on ND. I wish one school would accept me so I could stop worrying about racking credit cards up. I'll keep you posted though.

So I finished my interview today! I interviewed with Dr. Supakit. Has anyone else interviewed with him? They told me it would be about 2 weeks to a month to here back, which sounds about right. Also I was told that the out-of-state admissions was about 50% full so far.

So I finished my interview today! I interviewed with Dr. Supakit. Has anyone else interviewed with him? They told me it would be about 2 weeks to a month to here back, which sounds about right. Also I was told that the out-of-state admissions was about 50% full so far.

out of state half full?

Yea half full for out-of-state students and less than half for in-state students. Hope this helps!

out of state half full?

So about 20 out-of-states and about 10 Hawaii residents have paid their deposits already, based on the fact that there are 80-90 seats for the class.

So about 20 out-of-states and about 10 Hawaii residents have paid their deposits already, based on the fact that there are 80-90 seats for the class.

That's a fair estimate. I wonder how many have already been interviewed.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought they'd have more seats secured by now. Anyway, PharmCAS states that they'll conduct interviews until all the seats are filled so there's no telling when they'll start pulling names off of the alternate list.

At least their deadline is coming up soon.

Oh yea, note that some people (probably not applicable to Hawaii residents) might have paid the deposit anyways just to secure their seats for the class. Chances are that they'll pull their names out once they get accepted to their top choice schools by the end of the application cycle. So hopefully that is when the alternate list comes in handy.

At least their deadline is coming up soon.

Well, the problem with Hawaii is that they keep interviewing till at least April. Last year, they kept on inviting people to interview till May/June, if I'm not mistaken.

Out of curiosity, is anyone going to interview in Vegas next month?

Members don't see this ad :)
only 10 hawaii and 20 out of state spots are filled? so do they put qualified people on the alternate list and leave spots open in case better applicants comes along? what's the deal?

only 10 hawaii and 20 out of state spots are filled? so do they put qualified people on the alternate list and leave spots open in case better applicants comes along? what's the deal?

where are you getting these numbers from?

where are you getting these numbers from?

Oh yea, I think it was Phoenix585 who said that half of the out-of-state seats are filled and less than half for Hawaii residents. I made an estimation based on the number of seats available for the class (listed on PharmCAS).

I believe I started it. I asked the question at my interview last week and the reply was that half of the out-of-state seats and less than half for the in-state seats are full. This is what I was told, but I could be wrong.

Did anybody get an acceptance without turning in the supplemental?

From what I heard from other applicants. You can get an interview without the supplemental done, but they will not review you for acceptance till both your interview and supplemental are done. The supplemental has to be in by the deadline... which I believe is April 3, 2009.

Do they have you do a writing sample at the interview?

Did anybody get an acceptance without turning in the supplemental?

For me, they invited me immediately right after they received my supplemental, so they were really waiting for mine. Based on the past posts, it seemed like some people had not sent in their supplementals before receiving interview invites for the January dates. So maybe they decided to invite some without supplementals after they invited people for their first interview cycle because probably they didn't have enough interviewees. But I'm pretty sure that they will not accept you if you don't fill one out, since they'll have to evaluate the whole package just like on everyone else. Besides, their supplemental app is not that difficult to fill out compared to other schools like UCSF.

For me, they invited me immediately right after they received my supplemental, so they were really waiting for mine. Based on the past posts, it seemed like some people had not sent in their supplementals before receiving interview invites for the January dates. So maybe they decided to invite some without supplementals after they invited people for their first interview cycle because probably they didn't have enough interviewees. But I'm pretty sure that they will not accept you if you don't fill one out, since they'll have to evaluate the whole package just like on everyone else. Besides, their supplemental app is not that difficult to fill out compared to other schools like UCSF.

I was one of those people who got invited to interview before submitting my supplemental. At first I was confused, but it's probably because I was one of the few who didn't get in from the waitlist last year, and also my stats are pretty decent.

Thank God I re-read my email from them since it said that Hilo won't accept you unless you give them a supplemental. I thought I didn't have to do it at first. :laugh:

I got my acceptance email today!!!!! I interviewed last Friday, that was supper fast! I'm soooooo happy :D

Thank you! Now I'm trying to calm down to send an email confirmation back to Liz. My mind is mush right now.

I got my acceptance email today!!!!! I interviewed last Friday, that was supper fast! I'm soooooo happy :D

Congratulations! :) Are you from Phoenix? I live in Phoenix also if you are.

^^I applied to UH-Hilo..I'm in phoenix as well :) Waiting on an interview :(

same here, interviewed on friday, acceptance letter yesterday.:D I can't believe how fast they are. And of course i'm ecstatic as well.

same here, interviewed on friday, acceptance letter yesterday.:D I can't believe how fast they are. And of course i'm ecstatic as well.

Congrats to you and Phoenix585 as well.
I interviewed last Thursday and haven't gotten the email yet.
Keeping my fingers crossed.:luck::luck::luck::xf:

Orunri, are you going to be accepting the invitation? Also have you received the acceptance letter in the mail yet or just email so far? I'm still waiting on the official letter coming through snail mail.

Hi everyone,

Congrats to those that got interviews/acceptances :thumbup:.

I was just wondering if anyone knew or heard if they are still going to send out interview invitations? I'm bummed that I sent in all of my stuff early and still haven't heard a single thing from them. :( Anyone else in this same boat or is it just me?

I interviewed Jan 9, got an alternate letter a few weeks later. I thought the interview went really well too :-/

Orunri, are you going to be accepting the invitation? Also have you received the acceptance letter in the mail yet or just email so far? I'm still waiting on the official letter coming through snail mail.

I got acceptance letter through email as well. I'm accepting the invitation. UH-Hilo is an excellent fit for me. I haven't recieved the letter through the mail yet, only got the email so far.

Phoenix, orunri have either of you started looking at financial aid/housing yet?

I was just wondering if anyone knew or heard if they are still going to send out interview invitations? I'm bummed that I sent in all of my stuff early and still haven't heard a single thing from them. :( Anyone else in this same boat or is it just me?
They're going to interview applicants until all the seats are filled so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If less than half of the in-state seats are filled at this moment, I'm guessing that they're going to accept more than 50% out-of-state applicants this year.

Hi everyone,

Congrats to those that got interviews/acceptances :thumbup:.

I am in the same boat as you, I have the other oar.

I got acceptance letter through email as well. I'm accepting the invitation. UH-Hilo is an excellent fit for me. I haven't recieved the letter through the mail yet, only got the email so far.

Phoenix, orunri have either of you started looking at financial aid/housing yet?

I am right now. Liz mentioned during the tour of the campus that the school had leased out a building with the idea that it would be housing for pharmacy student only. She said the rent right now is 600 dollars a month, this would include everything (utilities, internet,phone. ect..). She also mentioned that it was pretty empty right now. I don't know if this is all correct for sure. I emailed Liz asking for information.
I'm trying to fill out fasfa right now. The sad thing is that we'll probably be paying out-of-state tuition all four years. This month I plan on researching more on the possibility of becoming an in-state resident for hawaii, but I've heard its almost impossible. So I'm planning everything with the mind set that I'll be shelling out 32K a semester.

Grrrrr... I wish Hawaii would stop playing with me and send me something lol. But then again, I guess no news is good news.

Hang in there. Have you called the school to see where your application is?

I am right now. Liz mentioned during the tour of the campus that the school had leased out a building with the idea that it would be housing for pharmacy student only. She said the rent right now is 600 dollars a month, this would include everything (utilities, internet,phone. ect..). She also mentioned that it was pretty empty right now. I don't know if this is all correct for sure. I emailed Liz asking for information.
I'm trying to fill out fasfa right now. The sad thing is that we'll probably be paying out-of-state tuition all four years. This month I plan on researching more on the possibility of becoming an in-state resident for hawaii, but I've heard its almost impossible. So I'm planning everything with the mind set that I'll be shelling out 32K a semester.

Ya, this school looks really expensive for out of state students. Not to mention the cost of living in Hawaii is really expensive anyway...

I really like their program though, and essentially I'll be shelling out at least 100k no matter what. At least it isn't as expensive as UoP, their tuition is 50k a year plus the cost of living, that is a lot worse.

I really like their program though, and essentially I'll be shelling out at least 100k no matter what. At least it isn't as expensive as UoP, their tuition is 50k a year plus the cost of living, that is a lot worse.

I'm not sure if it will be a lot worse. I think Hawaii will be the same financially if not more if you figure in the cost of plane tickets to get back and forth to the main land and the fact that Hawaii has a very high cost of living simply because it is an island.

I wouldn't be traveling back and forth to the mainland.If I did, it would only be for christmas, a ticket in the winter is about the same I would pay to visit my brother in Texas or relatives in upstate new york.
From what I've been able to find out the cost of living in comparable to california if you buy with a budget. Eat local foods (fruit and vegetables ect..). If my rent is only 600 a month I think I'll be fine. I'm just saying their is a much bigger difference to me between 50k to 32k , than 32k to 20K. I'd rather pay 32k any day over 50k.

I am in the same boat as you, I have the other oar.

I guess we better start trying to paddle for that admission to Hawaii. Lolz. :laugh: Hopefully we'll hear some good news.:xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck:

Grrrrr... I wish Hawaii would stop playing with me and send me something lol. But then again, I guess no news is good news.

When did you send everything in? Did you receive an interview? or are u in the same boat as samuricool and me?

When did you send everything in? Did you receive an interview? or are u in the same boat as samuricool and me?

Yeah, I submitted December 9, Pharmcas Calculated on December 22, And Sent out on January 5th, and got the "Your application is complete" on January 9th. I probably haven't been waiting as long as you or samuricool, but it doesn't ease the wait.

I'm not sure if it will be a lot worse. I think Hawaii will be the same financially if not more if you figure in the cost of plane tickets to get back and forth to the main land and the fact that Hawaii has a very high cost of living simply because it is an island.
How often do you plan on flying back to the mainland if you get accepted? If you're planning on getting HI residency, you can't leave the island for 12 full months.

How often do you plan on flying back to the mainland if you get accepted? If you're planning on getting HI residency, you can't leave the island for 12 full months.

I can't stand being stranded on an island for 12 full months!! If I do get pulled off from the alternate list, then I definitely plan on flying back to the mainland for Christmas, spring and summer breaks. For the schools on the mainland, I'll be coming home for Thanksgiving. Last time I checked (around October/November), the airfare from John Wayne to Hilo was ~$800. Probably it's a bit cheaper if we fly out from LAX.

I can't stand being stranded on an island for 12 full months!! If I do get pulled off from the alternate list, then I definitely plan on flying back to the mainland for Christmas, spring and summer breaks. For the schools on the mainland, I'll be coming home for Thanksgiving. Last time I checked (around October/November), the airfare from John Wayne to Hilo was ~$800. Probably it's a bit cheaper if we fly out from LAX.
Just sneak aboard one of those boats that go from Hawaii to Long Beach so that there is no record of you leaving the island. :laugh:

Just sneak aboard one of those boats that go from Hawaii to Long Beach so that there is no record of you leaving the island. :laugh:

At that rate, my break will be over when I arrive in CA. :laugh: