Any Oregon State undergrads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MillersGirl60

Don't forget to live life.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a UC Davis undergrad, junior, animal science major. Thinking about transferring to finish up at OSU, but I have no idea what their undergrad program is like. Anyone there that can tell me about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I didn't go as an undergrad, I'm currently at the vet school. Many of my peers went to undergrad here; from what I hear, OSU has a great pre-vet program. They'll often talk about cool, useful classes like advanced repro that I never even DREAMED of having at my undergrad school. They'll all seem pretty prepared for the vet material too, at least I think so ;)

In general, it's a solid school with solid engineering/sciencey reputation. I will warn you, however, that I have heard a few nasty comments about some of the orgo and physics professors.

The campus is nice and Corvallis is a pretty groovey, low key place to live. Eugene and Portland, which are both a blink away if you have a friend with a car, have a lot to offer.

I hope this helps!

Although I didn't go as an undergrad, I'm currently at the vet school. Many of my peers went to undergrad here; from what I hear, OSU has a great pre-vet program. They'll often talk about cool, useful classes like advanced repro that I never even DREAMED of having at my undergrad school. They'll all seem pretty prepared for the vet material too, at least I think so ;)

In general, it's a solid school with solid engineering/sciencey reputation. I will warn you, however, that I have heard a few nasty comments about some of the orgo and physics professors.

The campus is nice and Corvallis is a pretty groovey, low key place to live. Eugene and Portland, which are both a blink away if you have a friend with a car, have a lot to offer.

I hope this helps!

I got into both WSU and OSU and I think I am going to take the OSU option strictly due to financial reasons. I am curious, how do you like the school so far? happy with the curriculum, professors, classmates? Another important question, do you happen to know if there are any scholarships available? I heard last year they set up a seminar addressing the NY times article on vet student debt crisis. Did you happen to go? does the school help their graduates find jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into both WSU and OSU and I think I am going to take the OSU option strictly due to financial reasons. I am curious, how do you like the school so far? happy with the curriculum, professors, classmates? Another important question, do you happen to know if there are any scholarships available? I heard last year they set up a seminar addressing the NY times article on vet student debt crisis. Did you happen to go? does the school help their graduates find jobs?

I like the school very much. That said,--and I don't know how it is at other schools--the first year is really rough! We've already lost 3 people in the first quarter alone. I just don't see how that's reasonable :( That could be more common that I realize, though :shrug:

Besides that, we're all really happy with the class size, the majority of the faculty, and the many great opportunities we have both in and outside of the classroom (seriously, it may be a small school but there is SO much going on!). I'm in love with my classmates, and the second years that I've gotten the chance to get to know are very caring and super cool (I'm talking about you, kanderson615!).

There are some scholarships available, but you would have to apply in January of your first year:
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/students/current/scholarships

I didn't actually know about the seminar. I'm a first year student, though. They DO have a cool class that you take in the fall of your first year that goes into some detail about how you would go about pursuing various paths post-graduation. I found it helpful. I can't speak to the level at which they help with job placement after graduation, but I would imagine there is plenty. Sorry I can't be of much help on that front!

Last edited:
I like the school very much. That said,--and I don't know how it is at other schools--the first year is really rough! We've already lost 3 people in the first quarter alone. I just don't see how that's reasonable :( That could be more common that I realize, though :shrug:

I didn't actually know about the seminar. I'm a first year student, though. They DO have a cool class that you take in the fall of your first year that goes into some detail about how you would go about pursuing various paths post-graduation. I found it helpful. I can't speak to the level at which they help with job placement after graduation, but I would imagine there is plenty. Sorry I can't be of much help on that front!

Yikes! 3 people in the 1st Q?? do you happen to know if it was due to academic reasons or financial or personal?
Thanks for info. OSU is actually a strong school in animal and wildlife science. I am not surprised that the vet school follows that pattern. Good to know you are happy there... good classmates make all the difference in the world. So would that mean you have to pay for the 1st year with no scholarships? do you happen to know how much they are for?

Besides that, we're all really happy with the class size, the majority of the faculty, and the many great opportunities we have both in and outside of the classroom (seriously, it may be a small school but there is SO much going on!). I'm in love with my classmates, and the second years that I've gotten the chance to get to know are very caring and super cool (I'm talking about you, kanderson615!).

There are some scholarships available, but you would have to apply in January of your first year:
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/students/current/scholarships

I would also love to know if the 3 people you lost were because of grades or other reasons... Oregon is my in-state, but it would make me pretty nervous if they have students fail out more than normal. That would be extremely disappointing to make it all the way to the first quarter of vet school and then find out I couldn't be a vet after all.:scared:

Yikes! 3 people in the 1st Q?? do you happen to know if it was due to academic reasons or financial or personal?
Thanks for info. OSU is actually a strong school in animal and wildlife science. I am not surprised that the vet school follows that pattern. Good to know you are happy there... good classmates make all the difference in the world. So would that mean you have to pay for the 1st year with no scholarships? do you happen to know how much they are for?
I would also love to know if the 3 people you lost were because of grades or other reasons... Oregon is my in-state, but it would make me pretty nervous if they have students fail out more than normal. That would be extremely disappointing to make it all the way to the first quarter of vet school and then find out I couldn't be a vet after all.:scared:

We had one person ask to take a medical leave of absence at the start of fall term, and then we lost 3 for academic reasons. They will all be returning next fall, as far as I know. Urg...I don't mean to scare you guys. We DID have a particularly stressful quarter, for whatever reason, and then all hell broke loose when our finals schedule was turned upside down by a snow storm. So please, take my words with a grain of salt. I'm speaking from the inside, remember that. ;) And you certainly don't fail out, unless you straight up get an F. OSU CVM has a very straightforward academic standards policy. I'm not gonna go into it, because I really don't think you need to worry about it! Sorry, I didn't mean to get you concerned--I guess I'm still mourning :shy:

I also wanted to come back to this thread to emphasize how awesome our professors are. Our gross anatomy professor is PHENOMENAL, imo. We have some incredibly caring and knowledgeable faculty. There's only one person I'm really unhappy with, and as far as I'm concerned, having outstanding professors in all other subjects makes up for the disappointment. Everyone is on your team. I was just telling one of my classmates that I got out of a lunch meeting with one of the course coordinators feeling that same feeling I get when my mom hugs me :happy:

EDIT:
gfa240, most people I know here have taken out student loans for their first year. Scholarships can vary anywhere from 500 to several thousand, I think. Have you tried calling the admissions office for more info? Michelle is super sweet and knowledgeable!

Last edited:
We had one person ask to take a medical leave of absence at the start of fall term, and then we lost 3 for academic reasons. They will all be returning next fall, as far as I know. Urg...I don't mean to scare you guys. We DID have a particularly stressful quarter, for whatever reason, and then all hell broke loose when our finals schedule was turned upside down by a snow storm. So please, take my words with a grain of salt. I'm speaking from the inside, remember that. ;) And you certainly don't fail out, unless you straight up get an F. OSU CVM has a very straightforward academic standards policy. I'm not gonna go into it, because I really don't think you need to worry about it! Sorry, I didn't mean to get you concerned--I guess I'm still mourning :shy:

I also wanted to come back to this thread to emphasize how awesome our professors are. Our gross anatomy professor is PHENOMENAL, imo. We have some incredibly caring and knowledgeable faculty. There's only one person I'm really unhappy with, and as far as I'm concerned, having outstanding professors in all other subjects makes up for the disappointment. Everyone is on your team. I was just telling one of my classmates that I got out of a lunch meeting with one of the course coordinators feeling that same feeling I get when my mom hugs me :happy:

EDIT:
gfa240, most people I know here have taken out student loans for their first year. Scholarships can vary anywhere from 500 to several thousand, I think. Have you tried calling the admissions office for more info? Michelle is super sweet and knowledgeable!
Oh, good! I thought you meant they left vet school for good, which would worry me a little. I keep hearing awesome things about the vet school and the professors! :D Can't wait to see the vet school again next week!

We had one person ask to take a medical leave of absence at the start of fall term, and then we lost 3 for academic reasons. They will all be returning next fall, as far as I know. Urg...I don't mean to scare you guys.

Thats good to know...sounds like you are really happy there. Yeah, the snow storm was just so weird. Hopefully we won't have another one of those for a while. I have spoken to Michelle before, but about other things...couple of thousands doesn't really go very far. I am sooo worried about the finances of going to vet school. :( I may even wait a couple of years to save more money.

I agree with kernel. I am in the same class as kernel at Oregon State and am thoroughly happy with my education and the school I chose to attend. Yes, our anatomy instructor is incredible and goes the distance to make sure you understand the material. She truly cares about our success! There is one instructor none of us are fond of, but you will only have her for a term and a half so there's light at the end of the tunnel! :)
We just started our second term (going into the third week now) and are taking neuroscience this term with an equally amazing instructor. She apparently has invited struggling students over to her house for a party/study session and met with one student for breakfast every day for two weeks to get her to pass the class. Most people here are supportive, encouraging and helpful. Our class has also been a great resource - for laughs when you're stressed, for an open ear, for support and to just realize we are all in this together and here for each other!
Don't let the loss of classmates deter you from coming here! Every school, from what I've heard, loses some students for both academic and personal reasons. It was very hard for our class to lose three people. We are a small class (56 total admitted each year) and we get close to our classmates. We know everyone by name (and most of your instructors/admin will know you by name as well), so it hits hard when we see people we care about having to fall back a year. However, they are all coming back next year to try again, so there is fall-back!
I'm not sure exactly what caused fall term to be so awful (besides the snow storm), but it was rough. The transition from undergrad to vet school is a tough switch for many and that is not dependent on what school you go to. I think our first term was a bit abnormal, for whatever reason, but the majority of us still managed to learn and succeed.

As far as animal science/pre-vet, I went to a different school in OR for undergrad, but have heard soooo many positives about the program at Oregon State that I wish I had gone here initially to get my undergrad in animal science (instead of a human health field).

I agree with kernel. I am in the same class as kernel at Oregon State and am thoroughly happy with my education and the school I chose to attend. Yes, our anatomy instructor is incredible and goes the distance to make sure you understand the material. She truly cares about our success! There is one instructor none of us are fond of, but you will only have her for a term and a half so there's light at the end of the tunnel! :)
We just started our second term (going into the third week now) and are taking neuroscience this term with an equally amazing instructor. She apparently has invited struggling students over to her house for a party/study session and met with one student for breakfast every day for two weeks to get her to pass the class. Most people here are supportive, encouraging and helpful. Our class has also been a great resource - for laughs when you're stressed, for an open ear, for support and to just realize we are all in this together and here for each other!
Don't let the loss of classmates deter you from coming here! Every school, from what I've heard, loses some students for both academic and personal reasons. It was very hard for our class to lose three people. We are a small class (56 total admitted each year) and we get close to our classmates. We know everyone by name (and most of your instructors/admin will know you by name as well), so it hits hard when we see people we care about having to fall back a year. However, they are all coming back next year to try again, so there is fall-back!
I'm not sure exactly what caused fall term to be so awful (besides the snow storm), but it was rough. The transition from undergrad to vet school is a tough switch for many and that is not dependent on what school you go to. I think our first term was a bit abnormal, for whatever reason, but the majority of us still managed to learn and succeed.

As far as animal science/pre-vet, I went to a different school in OR for undergrad, but have heard soooo many positives about the program at Oregon State that I wish I had gone here initially to get my undergrad in animal science (instead of a human health field).

It took me until New Years to figure out who you are :cat:

I mirror your feelings about neuro. Definitely going to that nacho party regardless of how I do in that class!

I agree with kernel. I am in the same class as kernel at Oregon State and am thoroughly happy with my education and the school I chose to attend. ut having to fall back a year. However, they are all coming back next year to try again, so there is fall-back!

That's really nice that you guys have such a supportive environment. The transition from undergrad to grad/professional school is always a shock to your system. But that's a good thing. Keeps you alert and you learn more about yourself. :)
Losing a couple of people doesn't scare me, the tuition does!:bigtears: That will remain as the determining factor for me if I accept the offer this year or postpone and reapply when I save more money.

It took me until New Years to figure out who you are :cat:

I mirror your feelings about neuro. Definitely going to that nacho party regardless of how I do in that class!

Haha, what gave it away? :) I'm pretty sure I have you figured out as well.

Food is a powerful motivator...especially free food!

I am a UC Davis undergrad, junior, animal science major. Thinking about transferring to finish up at OSU, but I have no idea what their undergrad program is like. Anyone there that can tell me about it?

I'm currently finishing up my last year as an undergrad at OSU. I'm pursuing an honors animal science degree and an honors international studies degree with a pre-vet option.
Honestly, I love the program. The professors are fantastic, there are tons of research and animal experience opportunities, clubs to get involved with etc. May I ask why you are considering transferring, especially so late in your undergrad?

I think OSU is a really awesome school to prepare for vet school. I've taken the reproduction anatomy/physiology course that was mentioned earlier in this thread, which I've heard is really helpful if you attend the vet school at OSU. (The repro prof actually used to teach some of the lectures at the vet school, hence the helpfulness). There are also a lot of physiology courses you can take through the zoology department, to also help you prep for vet school. Overall, I'd definitely encourage you to transfer here, if you're looking to transfer to an awesome program. However, OSU also has a lot of obscure prereqs, that might delay your graduation, depending on how your credits transfer (which is why I ask why you're transferring so late in your career). As long as your credits transfer, or you don't mind graduating a term or two late, I'd definitely encourage you to transfer!

Also, physics at OSU was horrible, but you can take class at the community college for a cheaper and significantly easier experience.

Haha, what gave it away? :) I'm pretty sure I have you figured out as well.

...Lol, was the avatar change a dead giveaway? Been obsessing a bit lately...

You were pretty good about not giving anything away, which is why it took so long for me to guess. Such secretive, much discrete! Also, it just occurred to me that the three of us OSU c/o 2017 peeps on SDN were all in the same VIPS group last quarter :heckyeah:

...Lol, was the avatar change a dead giveaway? Been obsessing a bit lately...

You were pretty good about not giving anything away, which is why it took so long for me to guess. Such secretive, much discrete! Also, it just occurred to me that the three of us OSU c/o 2017 peeps on SDN were all in the same VIPS group last quarter :heckyeah:

Muahaha...I think I've still got you :) I wasn't in your VIPS last quarter (if I'm right about who you are).

Finished the MMI today... did pretty good. Not bad at all. In some aspects I think it is better than a traditional interview if you have a variety of life experiences and can think on your feet.:soexcited: now it comes down to the final money decision!:dead: