Oregon State c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes… maybe I’m just assuming that I need to save my seat? I didn’t read anywhere that I needed to save my spot but I the acceptance form also doesn’t say anything about a deadline or that submitting the deposit means committing? I can’t imagine I’m the only one who’s confused.
Honestly, I’m just stoked I got an acceptance and I was worried about it being taken away for some reason 😅
If I end up getting lucky enough to have a choice then the way I see it, I’ll move some the waitlist somewhere and make someone else really stoked. But for now, Beavers 🦫
The letter was so long! But I read through it and it says "you can pay your deposit online after you complete the online acceptance agreement." and then near the end it says "Please complete your acceptance agreement and pay your deposit by April 15, 2024." I'm pretty sure the acceptance agreement means that you accept your offer of admission. Maybe you can email them and say that you were confused on the requirement? Congrats on getting in!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I’m sorry to post this after reading through so many of your comments about today’s news for some of you. It’s unfortunate that there aren’t as many seats available as there are people interested and passionate about becoming vets, but don’t be discouraged! We will all become strong vets here!

I am an IS applicant who has been asked to interview with OSU. I am extremely excited and nervous, as this is currently my only option (applied to 8 schools, was rejected by 5, am waiting to hear back from 2, and interviewing with OSU). I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding this: of the people that OSU interviews, how many are given an offer? I have tried to find this information places, but have not had any success. Good luck to other ISS who are interviewing! We’ve got this :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I’m sorry to post this after reading through so many of your comments about today’s news for some of you. It’s unfortunate that there aren’t as many seats available as there are people interested and passionate about becoming vets, but don’t be discouraged! We will all become strong vets here!

I am an IS applicant who has been asked to interview with OSU. I am extremely excited and nervous, as this is currently my only option (applied to 8 schools, was rejected by 5, am waiting to hear back from 2, and interviewing with OSU). I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding this: of the people that OSU interviews, how many are given an offer? I have tried to find this information places, but have not had any success. Good luck to other ISS who are interviewing! We’ve got this :)
Hello from southern Oregon 🤠 I can try to answer this, I’ve asked Tess several of these same questions and interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Usually about 120-150 Oregon residents apply, and about 50-60 are invited for interviews, with about 40 being offered admission and 10-12 being alternate ranked.

Has any OOS asked for a file review and heard back?
Yes. Tess responded that they do not do individual file reviews because it’s a small staff and many applications. She also said that there were over 2200 apps for 45 seats. gpa averages were in the 3.8 range for science, overall, last 45 for OOS accepted students pool.

I hope this is helpful !

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has any OOS asked for a file review and heard back?
I applied OOS my first time and they will give you a review if you request it. But you must keep in touch because OOS reviews are put on the back burner. They will tell you they don’t do reviews for OOS, but if you give it some time and ask again, Tess will most likely do one for you.

How are other IS people preparing for the MMIs? 😅 I've been googling examples but I have no idea how similar they really are. I feel like the hardest part for me will be the lack of feedback from the interviewers. I do so much better with some back-and-forth rather than just monologuing

How are other IS people preparing for the MMIs? 😅 I've been googling examples but I have no idea how similar they really are. I feel like the hardest part for me will be the lack of feedback from the interviewers. I do so much better with some back-and-forth rather than just monologuing
Hey! Sorry for the wall of text that I’m sending you, but hopefully something here is useful!

I’ve done a few things to practice, but am still pretty nervous about the interview. This is also my first time applying and interviewing for vet schools, but hopefully something here is useful to you. One of the things that I did was read two books about the MMI: one by BeMo, and the other by Samir Desai titled, “Multiple Mini Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty”. Both are really great resources because they give you advice on how to structure responses, and have example questions/responses, and deep dive into what makes those responses strong. I highly recommend them both. I will say though to keep in mind that they approach the topic from a human medicine standpoint, which is really the only drawback I have. I have also been fortunate to be able to practice interview questions with people around me, my parents as well as vets at my current work. If this is an option for you, I highly recommend it. It’s nice to have a practice run and then get feedback from people about your responses. I also think it will help me to have done this in a situation where I get feedback so I know that during the actual interview, where this is likely not going to be the case, that I’m still on the right track, even if I don’t necessarily get that verbal response from the interviewer. I also think looking through the OSU website will be helpful, and understanding the goals of the program, the mission and values of the school, and the character qualities that they emphasize to be important in a veterinarian, will be extremely helpful to keep in mind. You can use these words during the interview if you find they fit, and remember to try to relate the situation back to you and your personal experiences. This will help make you stand out. Lastly, read over your application materials one more time, get a good grasp of your responses, and make sure to really understand what you wrote and why you think you’d be a great fit for the program!

Good luck with your interview, future vet! You’ll do great :)

Hey guys, one of my friends who did their MMI with Colorado had questions similar to the ones I had last year, like VERY similar. I didn’t want to share my questions verbatim just in case of the whole NDA agreement from last year. I’d rather be safe than sorry lol.

1. If you had 1billion dollars what would you do with it and why?
2. If you saw a colleague being racist towards a client, how would you react?
3. What is a concern you have coming into veterinary medicine

For my preparation last year, I did a lot of YouTube mock interviews, practiced answering open ended questions on the fly, etc. for this year, I arranged a mock interview with a friend of mine’s husband who is an interviewer at a medical school, and I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to get real life answering practice with someone you don’t know!

Going to be snowing for my drive to Corvallis, I hope everyone else has safe travels! Looking forward to the day

Reactions: 3 users
Well, I’m glad nobody has to risk the drive to Corvallis! I have mixed feelings about a zoom interview, but we will all do GREAT regardless. May everyone’s wifi connections be steady, your nerves be calm and your interview be strong! Good luck everyone

Well, I’m glad nobody has to risk the drive to Corvallis! I have mixed feelings about a zoom interview, but we will all do GREAT regardless. May everyone’s wifi connections be steady, your nerves be calm and your interview be strong! Good luck everyone
Yes good luck to everyone interviewing! So nerve wracking but I'm certain we'll all do great!

I’m a little sad about it, and my anxiety had honestly started getting worse (not sure if its just because we are getting closer to the actual date or if its because if the change to the plans). I’m also sad I won’t get to meet potential new classmates in person! Hopefully there will be another opportunity to get to know people after the interviews. Good luck everyone :) !

How did everyone feel on their interviews?

Because I’m compulsive and anxious, I asked Tess when we should expect to hear back and she said early February, hopefully by that Friday!

Oh man, I can't even decide how it went. Good but not great, I guess? I feel like I answered the main questions pretty well but a couple of the follow-up questions I was asked threw me for a loop. I also had some internet issues so I'm hoping they actually heard everything I said alright.

It went "ok?" as in "I talked for most of the time". Can't speak much of the quality of my speech. I try not to think too much about it. It's out of our hands now! Good luck! ;)

I had my internet cut out so I didn’t get to see the first question and quite literally had to answer on the fly 😂 kinda sucked but here we are. I hope yall are taking advantage of this lull period! lol

I think it went okay as well. I'm glad I wasn't the only one with internet issues. I had to do mine without having any power and in my third interview I was cutting out a few times 🙃

Oh no! So sorry to hear about some of your guys' power!

I think the interview also went okay for me, but there were definitely somethings that I am thinking about that I could have said that would have made my argument stronger. I finished the first question pretty quickly, and am worried that I maybe didn't say the right things or articulate myself well enough. I also didn't relate any of the prompts back to my personal experiences, which I had always been told to do, so I am kicking myself a little bit about that. I think just being in the moment made that pretty difficult for me. I guess our fates are in the hands of the admissions committee now! Good luck to you all :)

Casually refreshing the applicant portal 40 times a day... If I were to guess, I would say first Friday of the month? So the 2nd hopefully??

IS accepted! Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall

IS rejected. So shocked. I felt like my interview went really well. I will be asking Tess for a file review. This was my first application cycle, and I realize I did come far, but I am still really disappointed in myself. I guess I’ll need to try again.

• Care
hi everyone, little late to the party but congratulations to everyone accepted ! and a big hug to those who were rejected - you guys did your best, and i wish you luck if you’re still waiting to hear from other schools / future endeavours <33

i got an oos acceptance (back in dec), and am wanting to connect with others in the class of 2028, esp since i’m oos haha. (current students stalking this forum or other applicants are welcome too!) i had questions about, in general, about student life and the dvm/mph dual degree program (if anyone else is interested too). i do plan on going to one of the open houses so i’m sure if not here, most of my questions will be answered then.

but i would still love to meet my future colleagues :) i promise i don’t bite!

I know it doesn’t do much but I took myself off the waitlist. I was 90. Good luck everyone!

Can OOS students whose declining seats leave a count on this thread?
Tess has mentioned there were 0 to 20+ waitlists moved last couple cycles, it will still be very helpful to foresee whats coming this cycle.

Thanks and congrats to all those who got accepted :)

Hey there! I know in state student’s were there for interviews and a vet school intro/info session.
Can someone who went provide what they learned or maybe if they took notes or thought something was particularly cool? I’m just eager to learn more about OSU’s program.

oos acceptance, just declined my seat! good luck to all! :)

Hey there! I know in state student’s were there for interviews and a vet school intro/info session.
Can someone who went provide what they learned or maybe if they took notes or thought something was particularly cool? I’m just eager to learn more about OSU’s program.
Our interviews unfortunately got moved online because they coincided with a big ice storm. The open house/info session is this upcoming Friday, though, I'm happy to be your eyes and ears while I'm there!

They also had a virtual open house! I'm pretty sure you can email Tess for the recording.

My big takeaways for anyone who wasn't at the open house but is considering OSU:

Curriculum:
  • First 2 years completely didactic and everyone takes the same classes, 3rd year starts to diverge based on focus (general, LA, SA, non trad), 4th year is 12 months of rotations starting summer term, based on your focus with some electives and at least 4 weeks of preceptorship (externship at a clinic of your choosing)
  • 1st year focused on healthy/normal function and physiology, 2nd year on abnormal/disease/pathology, 3rd of medicine and surgery, and 4th is all applied
  • Usually every student gets to do their first OHE and NT their 3rd year, lots more practice during rotation at humane society 4th year
  • No open lab, all clinical and surgical skills are practiced during class time
  • Profs very willing to help you in office hours / one-on-one outside class time if you are struggling
  • Many classes still offered with Zoom option
Student life:
  • Lots of clubs, lots of lunch lectures and opportunities to get involved
  • Foal team / Ova Achievers especially are very hands on
  • Students can shadow in the hospital during years 1-3, go on farm calls, etc.
  • Vet med-specific counseling services for students, small wellness center
  • Everyone seemed very friendly
Corvallis:
  • As an IS student who went to OSU for my undergrad, the student panel definitely reflected what I’ve experienced
  • Housing is crazy hard to find here
  • Not much nightlife if that’s your thing, Corvallis can be a bit sleepy
  • Great ways to get outdoors, hikes, kayaking, backpacking, coast is only 1 hr away
  • 4th year requirement to live within 20 minutes of campus for on call rotations, can get tricky since many people live in Albany or further to keep rent costs down
    • On this point, lunch hour is very short so if you have pets at home and it takes 20 minutes to drive home, you are losing a lot of time

My big takeaways for anyone who wasn't at the open house but is considering OSU:

Curriculum:
  • First 2 years completely didactic and everyone takes the same classes, 3rd year starts to diverge based on focus (general, LA, SA, non trad), 4th year is 12 months of rotations starting summer term, based on your focus with some electives and at least 4 weeks of preceptorship (externship at a clinic of your choosing)
  • 1st year focused on healthy/normal function and physiology, 2nd year on abnormal/disease/pathology, 3rd of medicine and surgery, and 4th is all applied
  • Usually every student gets to do their first OHE and NT their 3rd year, lots more practice during rotation at humane society 4th year
  • No open lab, all clinical and surgical skills are practiced during class time
  • Profs very willing to help you in office hours / one-on-one outside class time if you are struggling
  • Many classes still offered with Zoom option
Student life:
  • Lots of clubs, lots of lunch lectures and opportunities to get involved
  • Foal team / Ova Achievers especially are very hands on
  • Students can shadow in the hospital during years 1-3, go on farm calls, etc.
  • Vet med-specific counseling services for students, small wellness center
  • Everyone seemed very friendly
Corvallis:
  • As an IS student who went to OSU for my undergrad, the student panel definitely reflected what I’ve experienced
  • Housing is crazy hard to find here
  • Not much nightlife if that’s your thing, Corvallis can be a bit sleepy
  • Great ways to get outdoors, hikes, kayaking, backpacking, coast is only 1 hr away
  • 4th year requirement to live within 20 minutes of campus for on call rotations, can get tricky since many people live in Albany or further to keep rent costs down
    • On this point, lunch hour is very short so if you have pets at home and it takes 20 minutes to drive home, you are losing a lot of time
Thank you!! I’m bummed I wasn’t able to make it

• Care
Is this the first year they ranked OOS waitlists? I cant find info about what # they went up to in past years. Anyone knows?

Got acceptance email today!! I’m so incredibly excited and was wondering if there is any current group chat or social media for those admitted. Thanks in advance! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hii friends! After asking around a bit, I’m understanding there’s no current group chat for admitted students. I created using GroupMe and I would love if anyone considering/accepting their offers to OSU would join :)) I’ll attach the link below!

Click here to join: GroupMe

Declined my OOS seat this weekend so hopefully there's more movement!

• Care
Hi! I was wondering if there are any current vet students who may be lurking on here who would be available to chat about the school and student life to a possible incoming vm1 :,)