Anybody succeed in the Scramble today??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldybugg82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anybody have any luck getting a position in the Scramble today?? I was helping a friend try to scramble and it was an awful, frustrating afternoon with nothing to show yet. Just curious if others were successful or if the technical difficulties messed it up for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

my scramble attempt today was fruitless. i matched advanced but need a prelim medicine spot, which i didn't think would be too too terrible, but wow i am so discouraged now and am afraid of losing my advanced spot due to not having a place to go in july.

i had the help of my dean standing by, laptop ready, secretaries all on stand-by with the phones and fax machines at my school and we just sat around almost helpless due to the crazy eras and nrmp crashes and slowness.

it took forever just to enter/apply for 5-7 programs, then i just gave up and started calling programs. some programs you call up and their message will say that they are not even participating in the scramble this year. some programs you call and it goes automatically to voicemail, but it says "this mailbox is full" so you can't even leave a message.

but then somehow these programs are still filling up!! it's a mystery. how?? are they holding all the spots for their own school students who did not match? SOMEBODY must be somehow getting through to these programs and snagging spots.

there are hardly any left.
even now, the "updated" nrmp list on the site is a gazillion years old and incorrect.

i don't even know what to do tomorrow morning.

I normally don't give my med school a lot of credit (and damn if I didn't want to burn this place down yesterday), but they were a BIG help today. Our dean got us copies of the list before all the shiit hit the fan today. I had an adviser call programs on my behalf since he had better access while I struggled with getting ERAS info out.

Managed to get an offer at a VERY good program but it took until almost 6pm EST before I could get a written commitment.

I normally don't give my med school a lot of credit (and damn if I didn't want to burn this place down yesterday), but they were a BIG help today. Our dean got us copies of the list before all the shiit hit the fan today. I had an adviser call programs on my behalf since he had better access while I struggled with getting ERAS info out.

Managed to get an offer at a VERY good program but it took until almost 6pm EST before I could get a written commitment.

our dean had a list for us right before 12 noon and also an "updated" list as soon as it was available as well. the whole faculty at my school is awesome and supportive, especially in times like this.

despite this, i am still unmatched.

Congrats!
Where'd you match and for what?

To those who are scrambling tomorrow, best of luck!

advice for you all: There is a list of numbers to contact the actual offices of program directors on the ACGME website. Unfortunately it's privileged access, so students don't have access, and I'm not sure who exactly does. I had the PD at my school use that list to call people on my behalf. Talk to your advisers and inquire about this if you can.

...some programs you call up and their message will say that they are not even participating in the scramble this year. some programs you call and it goes automatically to voicemail, but it says "this mailbox is full" so you can't even leave a message.

but then somehow these programs are still filling up!! it's a mystery. how?? ...

Simple. They are filling up because faculty call faculty on personal lines (not through the overwhelmed "public" line). So you are going to voicemail while some other med student is landing a spot because he found a faculty member in his target specialty who has a buddy in that specialty at a program with spots.

Simple. They are filling up because faculty call faculty on personal lines (not through the overwhelmed "public" line). So you are going to voicemail while some other med student is landing a spot because he found a faculty member in his target specialty who has a buddy in that specialty at a program with spots.

But the NRMP, ERAS, etc...and those who participate are all about "integrity, ethics, and professionalism".

:laugh:

I was successful today... matching for a prelim surgery position. I was originally going gen surg and this prelim program was my ONLY option since my husband matched to a program at the same institution. I called and got through right away at 11 am, but waited until almost 5 pm until they had a final answer for me with contract. I am VERY relieved, but also have to now work my A** off next year to try and impress and get a more secure position there the following year... since my husband will still be there of course and we are not going long distance.

I didn't use our school resources to scramble, but I know the 8 others in my class did and at least 6 that I know of were successful so far... IM, prelim surg, FM.

Goodluck to those that are still trying... I would NOT wish this on anyone!

But the NRMP, ERAS, etc...and those who participate are all about "integrity, ethics, and professionalism".

:laugh:

Sure, but hopefully everyone knows that networking is important, and it really isn't unethical. You are applying for open spots. So you enlist faculty help to make the call. That they have a better way to reach the target program than the rest of your competitors is perhaps unfair, but there is no rule against it. You are still applying for the spot, still will be put through the hoops, maybe be asked to telephone interview, forward your ERAS materials, etc.

All people in the scramble hopefully will enlist the help of others to make calls. Most US seniors scrambling enlist faculty and administration to help them. Some of these faculty/administration have better access than others. Most of the IMGs and offshore grads lack these connections. Such is life. It's part of the advantage to going to the kind of US med school where faculty are willing to pick up the phone to help a student. It's also part of the reason you want to pick a specialty early and spend lots of time networking with the bigshots at your program in that specialty. This is the time that knowing such a person can net benefits.

my scramble attempt today was fruitless. i matched advanced but need a prelim medicine spot, which i didn't think would be too too terrible, but wow i am so discouraged now and am afraid of losing my advanced spot due to not having a place to go in july.

i had the help of my dean standing by, laptop ready, secretaries all on stand-by with the phones and fax machines at my school and we just sat around almost helpless due to the crazy eras and nrmp crashes and slowness.

it took forever just to enter/apply for 5-7 programs, then i just gave up and started calling programs. some programs you call up and their message will say that they are not even participating in the scramble this year. some programs you call and it goes automatically to voicemail, but it says "this mailbox is full" so you can't even leave a message.

but then somehow these programs are still filling up!! it's a mystery. how?? are they holding all the spots for their own school students who did not match? SOMEBODY must be somehow getting through to these programs and snagging spots.

there are hardly any left.
even now, the "updated" nrmp list on the site is a gazillion years old and incorrect.

I know a med school in where i live that they always have like 6-7 transitional free spots, and yes for their own students who didnt matched!!! :mad:

Good to know there were some success stories for today. Wish there was a spot available for everyone. :\

Good luck to those still in limbo.

Sure, but hopefully everyone knows that networking is important, and it really isn't unethical. You are applying for open spots. So you enlist faculty help to make the call. That they have a better way to reach the target program than the rest of your competitors is perhaps unfair, but there is no rule against it. You are still applying for the spot, still will be put through the hoops, maybe be asked to telephone interview, forward your ERAS materials, etc.

All people in the scramble hopefully will enlist the help of others to make calls. Most US seniors scrambling enlist faculty and administration to help them. Some of these faculty/administration have better access than others. Most of the IMGs and offshore grads lack these connections. Such is life. It's part of the advantage to going to the kind of US med school where faculty are willing to pick up the phone to help a student. It's also part of the reason you want to pick a specialty early and spend lots of time networking with the bigshots at your program in that specialty. This is the time that knowing such a person can net benefits.

well, like i said, i matched for my advanced specialty. am scrambling for a medicine prelim spot. i have done my share of networking also, and i had my dean helping me too. still nothing, on top of the server crashes etc, which have all added to my frustration.

so just let me vent.

I did not succeed today. My dean and a fellow student were on hand to place calls. By the time I got the hard copy of the list (12:30EST), places were full (reading this thread has now taught me how that happened...). I spent all afternoon and evening between ERAS and phone calls trying to get something...anything. Nothing.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow. Or perhaps delay graduation....

I did not succeed today. My dean and a fellow student were on hand to place calls. By the time I got the hard copy of the list (12:30EST), places were full (reading this thread has now taught me how that happened...). I spent all afternoon and evening between ERAS and phone calls trying to get something...anything. Nothing.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow. Or perhaps delay graduation....

I'm sorry to hear that, friend. Best of luck tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you!

well, like i said, i matched for my advanced specialty. am scrambling for a medicine prelim spot. i have done my share of networking also, and i had my dean helping me too. still nothing, on top of the server crashes etc, which have all added to my frustration.

so just let me vent.
Continue to network to your advantage. Contact your dean, as well as program directors from your medicine (and surgery if applicable) rotation spots, explain your situation and ask if they would be willing to create a PGY-1 position for you. I was in your exact same shoes several years ago, and this is how I landed my internship.

Apply to a prelim general surgery position. You'll only have to do it for a year and then you get to move on to your advanced spot. It sounds like most (all?) the med prelim spots are full, and you have to do a prelim year to go on to your advanced spot... so do surgery. Unless you have to do a medicine prelim for whatever your advanced position is (though I didn't think there was anything you couldn't do either for...?).

To all unmatched if you're really flipping out, there are a s*it ton of surgery prelim spots. It's better than being unmatched, unless your other option is research. That's my opinion anyway...

We had ~10 scramblers, and I believe we only have ~3 that are hunting (out of a class of ~160). So, not a terrible outcome from today based on the complete break down of the system.

I also think that if you have to scramble, the best bet would be the day you find out you have to scramble, you contact your mentor in your field and have them make calls on your behalf. Seems like the best way to go.

I didn't know that NRMP went down until this evening. Earlier today one of the deans of my medical school contacted me to ask if there were any spots at my program. I had no idea why she would ask me that until I checked SDN.

I was absolutely lucky scrambling today. Interviewed at 20+ programs for two surg specialties (gen surg as backup) and didn't match. Came to scramble with the expectation that I wasn't to find a spot at any surgical categoricals or prelim given how this year will probably mark a record year of unmatched US seniors and record number of outside applicants. Anyhow as I started to input acgme numbers, my friend managed to get thru to my number 2 program to secretary, he gave her my info since program chair was on the phone with someone else, and about to hang up when he suddenly picked up. Super speed dated, and offered a prelim position at one of the top programs in the US. Had a sealed deal and done in 10 minutes, signed contract within 15 minutes after ERAS opened. Then also found out a classmate also secured the same spot after me. Through the gloom of black monday, also had some light behind it. Im not boasting or rubbing salt in anyones wounds but wanted to let you guys know to keep trying. Its a total crap shoot and you just never know! Also, use Freida and hospital websites as very helpful tools outside of a barebones program list

Me and my wife both FMG's were all geared up for the 'Scramble'...our only ray of hope this year...
But I think we made a complete fool of ourselves...
while we eagerly and desperately waited for the unfilled programs list, our US counterparts were already calling up programs and signing contracts with the help of their PD's and the list they had already received at 11.30 EST
I think I have never felt so helpless and frustrated ever..
I really think NRMP and ERAS have to manage a way better show than this
We r glad for those who succeeded and wish the rest a very best of luck..

i think there are no spots left open at this point for medicine prelim in the whole us.

I got a great spot in peds! Suggestions for scrambling and what I think helped me: make a list of programs which didn't fill last year and start emailing/calling them a bit early (I started about 30 min before the unfilled list was SUPPOSED to come out). At worst they won't have any spots. When we saw that the nrmp site crashed we just started calling every program on Frieda. Having friends help you call is key. Also having help from your school administration is important. They were great and it's a bonus to have a program director talk you up! I'm at an international school but we have an American number to call which also helps. I ended up getting 2 offers in the first few hours.
Good luck! There's still time and people do drop out and back out of contracts so be pushy and leave your info with every program you're interested in. :luck:

I got a great spot in peds! Suggestions for scrambling and what I think helped me: make a list of programs which didn't fill last year and start emailing/calling them a bit early (I started about 30 min before the unfilled list was SUPPOSED to come out). At worst they won't have any spots. When we saw that the nrmp site crashed we just started calling every program on Frieda. Having friends help you call is key. Also having help from your school administration is important. They were great and it's a bonus to have a program director talk you up! I'm at an international school but we have an American number to call which also helps. I ended up getting 2 offers in the first few hours.
Good luck! There's still time and people do drop out and back out of contracts so be pushy and leave your info with every program you're interested in. :luck:

i thought it was a violation of the nrmp to start your scramble any time before 12 noon.

Can your advanced program help you find a prelim?

my advanced program director was not very helpful, and honestly did not seem too interested in helping either...

my home school is trying to help me right now so i am waiting to hear something.

my advisor tells me in all 18 years that he has helped students scramble, he has never seen a case where there was just one prelim medicine spot left in all of us at 5pm on the first day. (that spot was gone by 10am this morning.)

i am not allowed to get a surgery spot either, so that's not an option for me.
:(

my advanced program director was not very helpful, and honestly did not seem too interested in helping either...

my home school is trying to help me right now so i am waiting to hear something.

my advisor tells me in all 18 years that he has helped students scramble, he has never seen a case where there was just one prelim medicine spot left in all of us at 5pm on the first day. (that spot was gone by 10am this morning.)

Your home program should open up a spot. Or, your advanced program should be more willing to help out than he/she has been. Hopefully the PD won't be as apathetic when you do start training at his/her program.

Your home program should open up a spot. Or, your advanced program should be more willing to help out than he/she has been. Hopefully the PD won't be as apathetic when you do start training at his/her program.

i know!! that is exactly what i have been thinking, am kinda concerned because i feel like that is a reflection of how much he cares about his residents.

on the other hand, i felt bad even having to tell him about my scramble issues. i am like a problem-resident before i have even started, geez.

I am kind of in the same position, I matched for advanced position in radiology but not prelim. however my home prog. has assured me that they will open up a spot for me. But I aslo got a call from a prelim surg. prog today and they are tring to schedule an interview. Can you go unmatched prelim after Mar. 17 and intervirew after match week is over. I don't know what to do!!!

I am kind of in the same position, I matched for advanced position in radiology but not prelim. however my home prog. has assured me that they will open up a spot for me. But I aslo got a call from a prelim surg. prog today and they are tring to schedule an interview. Can you go unmatched prelim after Mar. 17 and intervirew after match week is over. I don't know what to do!!!

i feel your pain!

i would do whatever you can to get ANY kind of spot. get that interview, and keep calling places. if all else fails, your home program will open up a spot for you, so that cuts down on a lot of anxiety right?

the important thing is to be able to keep your radiology spot!

i feel your pain!

i would do whatever you can to get ANY kind of spot. get that interview, and keep calling places. if all else fails, your home program will open up a spot for you, so that cuts down on a lot of anxiety right?

the important thing is to be able to keep your radiology spot!
Thanks for the kind words and advice, now my other question is can one go unmatched and find a prog. after the match results are anounced or is that a dumb question?
I ask this because the prelim. prog that wants to interview is one of the progs on my ROL and they want a "second look" interview. Is that one possible after mar. 17th ?

Bubbleyum, I truly hope you find something today. Are there any OB prelim spots open? Would they satisfy your prelim requirement? Just a thought . . .

Bubbleyum, I truly hope you find something today. Are there any OB prelim spots open? Would they satisfy your prelim requirement? Just a thought . . .

thanks PYT.

my home school is really supportive and they don't want me to lose my pgy-2 spot. they have told me to sit tight and they will do everything to open something up for me.

thanks PYT.

my home school is really supportive and they don't want me to lose my pgy-2 spot. they have told me to sit tight and they will do everything to open something up for me.

Wishing you - and everyone else who is here who is still scrambling -an open spot. I can only imagine how nerve-wracking this is! Hang in there!

What advanced position did you match into that won't allow a surgical PGY-1?

Me and my wife both FMG's were all geared up for the 'Scramble'...our only ray of hope this year...
But I think we made a complete fool of ourselves...
while we eagerly and desperately waited for the unfilled programs list, our US counterparts were already calling up programs and signing contracts with the help of their PD's and the list they had already received at 11.30 EST
I think I have never felt so helpless and frustrated ever..
I really think NRMP and ERAS have to manage a way better show than this
We r glad for those who succeeded and wish the rest a very best of luck..

I am there with you, and feeling the object of prejudice sucks. I admire you congratulating everyone who scrambled/matches successfully. I know for many of us FMG's its the end of the road

after not eating for 2 days, sitting in a bare room with no windows, dealing with eras and nrmp, and just barely missing spots that tell you "i wish you had called sooner", i have a contract. thanks to my school and all the powers that be who looked kindly upon me to create and sponsor a spot so i can go on to my pgy-2 residency, thank the Lord.

i am dehydrated but happy.

thanks to everybody who have wished me well and sympathized. this forum is awesome when sitting in a room waiting for people who don't call you back!

after not eating for 2 days, sitting in a bare room with no windows, dealing with eras and nrmp, and just barely missing spots that tell you "i wish you had called sooner", i have a contract. thanks to my school and all the powers that be who looked kindly upon me to create and sponsor a spot so i can go on to my pgy-2 residency, thank the Lord.

thanks to everybody who have wished me well and sympathized. this forum is awesome when sitting in a room waiting for people who don't call you back!

YAYYYYYYY!!! congrats :thumbup::)

Thanks for the kind words and advice, now my other question is can one go unmatched and find a prog. after the match results are anounced or is that a dumb question?
I ask this because the prelim. prog that wants to interview is one of the progs on my ROL and they want a "second look" interview. Is that one possible after mar. 17th ?

that sounds very strange. i can only assume that you reapplied to their unfilled program during the scramble and they are acknowledging that they had already interviewed you the first time, but want to talk to you again.

go for it!!

also, if you do not match even after the normal scramble, people still find spots "off-cycle". as evidenced by the postings on residencyswap.com. also, whoever your match advisor is should be continuing to work with you until you find something. i heard some spots open up due to people dropping their spots later or having issues with being able to start work in june/july.

but your school said they would open a spot for you, hopefully that happens and you don't have to wait around like that.

CONGRATS! Glad your school came through for you!

that sounds very strange. i can only assume that you reapplied to their unfilled program during the scramble and they are acknowledging that they had already interviewed you the first time, but want to talk to you again.

go for it!!

also, if you do not match even after the normal scramble, people still find spots "off-cycle". as evidenced by the postings on residencyswap.com. also, whoever your match advisor is should be continuing to work with you until you find something. i heard some spots open up due to people dropping their spots later or having issues with being able to start work in june/july.

but your school said they would open a spot for you, hopefully that happens and you don't have to wait around like that.

thanks again and CONGRATS

That's great news - congrats!

This is great news! Congrats!

How did you know where your advanced spot is?

I am going to loose my advanced spot, I did not match prelim med in the scramble.

For those of you scrambling, my heart goes out to you. I scrambling last yr after not matching for a surgery allopathic spot (Im a DO), and it was sobering. I couldnt even get a surg prelim. So i took a one yr traditional rotating internship and applied gain this yr (both allo and osteo). finally got a DO spot and didnt have to go thru d NRMP match.

Im scrabbling for a friend now who is an IMG, graduated 2005, USMLE passed after 2 attemps and CS passed after 3 attempts. From my experience, i know it will take more than a miracle for him to find a one yr spot for anything anywhere but thought i post and see if anyone has a difference of opinion.

Again, keep ur head up. There's always light at the head of the tunnel even if u cant see it now.

For those of you scrambling, my heart goes out to you. I scrambling last yr after not matching for a surgery allopathic spot (Im a DO), and it was sobering. I couldnt even get a surg prelim. So i took a one yr traditional rotating internship and applied gain this yr (both allo and osteo). finally got a DO spot and didnt have to go thru d NRMP match.

Im scrabbling for a friend now who is an IMG, graduated 2005, USMLE passed after 2 attemps and CS passed after 3 attempts. From my experience, i know it will take more than a miracle for him to find a one yr spot for anything anywhere but thought i post and see if anyone has a difference of opinion.

Again, keep ur head up. There's always light at the head of the tunnel even if u cant see it now.

Where were you able to get the TRI? Through an osteo program? Did you do it after the scramble period? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is a really stressful time right now for everyone and am just trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks in advance.

Its a DO prog in NY. small hosp with only FP residency. I got it after d scramble was over. NY school gave me a list of unfilled TRI. are u a DO?

Somebody who scrambled should consider posting the unfilled programs list!