Anyone else placed on Hold at UC Irvine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Checked my status page this morning and found out i was placed on hold. What a bummer. I feel like crap now. Anyone else have this status also? What are chances of getting an interview now? This really sucks...

Members don't see this ad.

I just checked my status and it says on hold also. Before it said review pending. I would not feel like crap, it could have been a flat out rejection. Interviews go until March, I believe, so I would not get discouraged just yet. Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

I'm still pending review, but it feels like I'm on hold. My status hasn't changed in two months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sucks! I was put on hold at UCSD on Friday and feel your pain. I haven't heard from Irvine yet, and have been complete since 8/12. This process is draining . . .

would you guys mind stating when you were complete?

I was complete around early august....i am still "pending review"....i wonder if that really means if they had (and did not know what to do to my app) or had not looked at it at all....sigh

drsungoddess said:
I just checked my status and it says on hold also. Before it said review pending. I would not feel like crap, it could have been a flat out rejection. Interviews go until March, I believe, so I would not get discouraged just yet. Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just hate the idea of being put on hold. So ambigious. Gives me hope, but also depressing to wait so long. Life in purgatory sucks. This is the third school I've been placed on hold (though I don't really care much for the other two). But you are right, its better than being flat-out rejected. Good luck to you too.

uclabruin2003 said:
would you guys mind stating when you were complete?

I was complete around early august....i am still "pending review"....i wonder if that really means if they had (and did not know what to do to my app) or had not looked at it at all....sigh

I was complete 8/20/04. Good luck to you.

i was placed on hold too....also my third school on hold - mich state, ucsd, and now uci. i wasn't expecting the UC schools to take me very seriously with my crappy numbers anyways.

Don't worry guys I definately think being put on hold is so much better than being rejected. I was put on hold at UCSD about 3 weeks ago and got an interview invite from them last week. So there definately is hope ! Just hang in there and don't give up hope! Good luck :luck:
I am also in the pending review category at UCI.... I have been complete since 8/6

hey doctormalki, i got an interview at ucsd after being put on hold for only a few days also! i don't know why they put us on hold in the first place, but i'm so glad i was taken off the hold list so quickly.

for those of you at uc irvine who were put on hold, not only is there hope for an interview somewhere down the line, but there is a very realistic hope of interviewing there very soon. keep your hopes up! :)

constructor said:
hey doctormalki, i got an interview at ucsd after being put on hold for only a few days also! i don't know why they put us on hold in the first place, but i'm so glad i was taken off the hold list so quickly.

for those of you at uc irvine who were put on hold, not only is there hope for an interview somewhere down the line, but there is a very realistic hope of interviewing there very soon. keep your hopes up! :)

I'm still on hold at UCSD since 9/1. :confused:

constructor said:

I hope I have the same luck as you and doctormalki with UCSD. :)

For those of you who were taken off hold, did you do anything supplemental, like call them on the phone, letters, updates, anything to attract their attention towards you?

Thx
:luck:

i didn't do anything, no. but i guess it can't hurt...

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
I hope I have the same luck as you and doctormalki with UCSD. :)

I am sure you will! You are an amazing applicant ! :) :luck:

Rubick said:
For those of you who were taken off hold, did you do anything supplemental, like call them on the phone, letters, updates, anything to attract their attention towards you?

Thx
:luck:

No I didn't do anything

how the hell did you get put on hold with your stats?

it's not even the beginning of october and uci is rolling. therefore, a lot of the early applicants will be placed on hold. amazing stats or not, uci has a limited number of spots just like any other school. you guys are probably as competitive a group of people as later applicants, and once the adcom sees those applicants a number of you will be taken off hold status. nothing unusual here.

i was kinda sad about my UCSD hold last week so i emailed them asking what "HOLD" really meant. this probably applies to UCI also.

"Hello,

The hold people are reviewed on a monthly basis. After the secondary you are
either interviewed, placed on hold or rejected. I would say to keep us updated
with any new information."

hope this helps & good luck~

Pinkertinkle said:
Grudge against Irvine... rapidly developing...

don't worry, you are still standing atop parnassus as the emperor of a much finer institution called ucsf.

constructor said:
don't worry, you are still standing atop parnassus as the emperor of a much finer institution called ucsf.

Anyone get an interview there today?

(not me)...*starts crying*

Ahh, UCSF, I can only hope. I have heard vague friend of a friend rumors of a stanfordite with a UCSF interview, but its far from confirmed.

i know two people ("stanfordites") who got interview invites last week.

constructor said:
i know two people ("stanfordites") who got interview invites last week.
this is not a good sign

anyone know when the committee is going to meet to make a decision about the hold applicants (pre-interview) at UCI?

DoctorMalki said:
anyone know when the committee is going to meet to make a decision about the hold applicants (pre-interview) at UCI?

I think they meet on a periodic basis. I was on hold from Sept to February at UCI and then they reviewed about 200 applications, including mine, and sent out interview invites for mid-Feb. I would find out when you are going to be reviewed, and totally express your interest to them! I sent a bunch of emails/letters when I was on hold and I eventually got an interview, so I think it works. Good luck! :luck:

CalGirl said:
I think they meet on a periodic basis. I was on hold from Sept to February at UCI and then they reviewed about 200 applications, including mine, and sent out interview invites for mid-Feb. I would find out when you are going to be reviewed, and totally express your interest to them! I sent a bunch of emails/letters when I was on hold and I eventually got an interview, so I think it works. Good luck! :luck:

Who did you send the emails too? Thanks!

CalGirl said:

Hi CalGirl - How many letters and emails did you send total?

Just wondering if I have written too many or too few to score an interview.

Umm I sent one email to Gayle Pierce (director of admissions) and one email to Dr. Ellena Peterson (dean of admissions). I sent them both regular letters too, saying why I was interested in UCI. I found out when I was being reviewed...oh and btw when I was rereviewed, my status page went from "hold" to "pending review" or something like that. So I knew I was being reviewed that week...and I faxed in two new LOR's that week and made sure they were included in that review.

Basically, I kept bugging them and then I got an interview! If you guys are really interested in UCI I would really try all that...both Gayle and Dr. Peterson are REALLY nice and I think they respond to people who show interest...good luck!!! Just let me know if you need nething else! :luck:

CalGirl said:
Umm I sent one email to Gayle Pierce (director of admissions) and one email to Dr. Ellena Peterson (dean of admissions). I sent them both regular letters too, saying why I was interested in UCI. I found out when I was being reviewed...oh and btw when I was rereviewed, my status page went from "hold" to "pending review" or something like that. So I knew I was being reviewed that week...and I faxed in two new LOR's that week and made sure they were included in that review.

Basically, I kept bugging them and then I got an interview! If you guys are really interested in UCI I would really try all that...both Gayle and Dr. Peterson are REALLY nice and I think they respond to people who show interest...good luck!!! Just let me know if you need nething else! :luck:
oh really?

i should send them emails then. I sent Dr. Peterson one before, but she did not respond. Probably UCI is not that interested in me.

Oh yeah and I tried all this same stuff with UCSD and Davis and they showed no love at all.....flat out rejected! So I think UCI responds more to this kind of stuff, just keep letting them know it is your top choice. I know a few people at UCI who just kept begging for an interview, or who kept begging to get off the waitlist, and it worked for some of em! :D

i've been begging UCI to accept me off the alternate list. No luck for me :thumbdown:

sdnstud said:
i've been begging UCI to accept me off the alternate list. No luck for me :thumbdown:

But its only March sdnstud! There will be a lot of movement off the list in May. I know people who are accepted at UCI who definitely won't go b/c they've gotten into better schools...so keep that in mind! I'm sure it will all turn out well...just takes time! :luck:

Last year, several of my friends were placed on the alternate list, waited until Aug, and was forced to give up their alternate slots because they started at other schools. When May 15th arrives, I need to make a decision whether to choose the best school I've gotten into (UCincy, which starts first week of August) or the school that starts the latest (early september). If I choose the latter, I'd give myself a chance to grind it out on the alterate list at UCI until early September. However, if i don't get in at UCI, i'll end up at a school i'm not truly satisfied with.

For those who are on UCI's alternate list, I'm sure you will be facing similar dilemmas come May 15th. What do you guys plan on doing?

Uegis said:
Checked my status page this morning and found out i was placed on hold. What a bummer. I feel like crap now. Anyone else have this status also? What are chances of getting an interview now? This really sucks...

my interview status has been on hold for like 3 months now. I heard that today was the last interview day from some other thread. I don't know if this is true so don't take my word for it but it doesn't look too good for those of us on hold.

Can I ask you guys this... I already got into USC and even if I were to be interviewed at UCI and got in, I would still not go. Is it a bad thing to send them a letter of interest and beg them for an interview ( I really wanna see what I'm missing but I'm a bit conflicted here). I live like halfway between UCI and USC so its just my natural inclination to see what I'm missing out on and I just wanna see if UCI would even give me an interview if I went grovelling to them. Thanks.

Blinky_1 said:
my interview status has been on hold for like 3 months now. I heard that today was the last interview day from some other thread. I don't know if this is true so don't take my word for it but it doesn't look too good for those of us on hold.

arggh...I guess there is no point in even sending them a letter of interest then if they are done interviewing.

I thought they interviewed until april. Did someone call the admissions office to find out?

I didn't call the admissions office to find out, but I did confirm it with a friend of mine who is a first year UCI medical student. The last interview date is next week.

DoctorMalki said:
I thought they interviewed until april. Did someone call the admissions office to find out?

sdnstud said:
I didn't call the admissions office to find out, but I did confirm it with a friend of mine who is a first year UCI medical student. The last interview date is next week.

so I guess there is no hope :(